LEGO Deals 3

My son and I built the app-controlled Batmobile and didn't like it either. It's ok but I do totally prefer the OG remote controll. It really sucks when you want to use multiple sets.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I really don't like using my phone as a controller for Lego vehicles. I want real, physical sticks and buttons!
No, it's called being intelligent. LEGO has worse ADD than me, every other day they come up with a new system to power things. What happens in 1-3 years when the app system isn't supported on newer phones? You are just shit out of luck?

At least with a remote it will work until the remote breaks.

Found the DC minifigures yesterday.  Puzzle Zoo wanted 8.95 (!) for them, which was absolute batshit because this particular store is literally next door to a Lego store.  They are indeed $5 now.

Which marks my end of minifigures.  I would have liked all of the DC crew, but picked just the eight I thought were essential and not in any sets: Mister Miracle, Bat Mite, Huntress, Stargirl, Metamorpho, Jay Garrick, Simon Baz, and (since I skipped most of his sets) Aquaman.

If you want to feel these up, be aware that they all now come with action stands, which means there are new parts that are the same in every bag.  This threw me for a bit until I realized that.  Otherwise, there are distinguishing elements that make it pretty straightforward to figure out who's who.

Building Ninjago City now, putting the Sanctum Santorum (ew) on hold since I picked up multiples and am figuring out how to assemble them together -- I should end up with two modulars (one for Strange and one for Peter Parker) when they're done.

Building Ninjago City now, putting the Sanctum Santorum (ew) on hold since I picked up multiples and am figuring out how to assemble them together -- I should end up with two modulars (one for Strange and one for Peter Parker) when they're done.
So you stopped your multiple santorum project for NinjaGo City? And Retroxcellence was worried about me being messy.

AWD seems to have the $40 Jurassic World helicopter on sale for $12.14. There are 14 in stock.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789PJTJB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:
lol... Somebody watched a little too much breaking bad.

Just read on brick fan that it’s been reported that the LEGO dc gigs are showing $3.44.

AWD seems to have the $40 Jurassic World helicopter on sale for $12.14. There are 14 in stock.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789PJTJB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1
They had some for $11.25 the other day so I ordered 2 (the set is meh but I want to get as many dinos as possible). AWD has been having some great deals these past couple weeks, especially on retired sets. I got some Scooby Doo sets and others for much less than eBay or BrickLink, not to mention a sealed Ninjago City for $170.

They had some for $11.25 the other day so I ordered 2 (the set is meh but I want to get as many dinos as possible). AWD has been having some great deals these past couple weeks, especially on retired sets. I got some Scooby Doo sets and others for much less than eBay or BrickLink, not to mention a sealed Ninjago City for $170.
It's weird there were 14 of them. That has to be two shipping boxes from LEGO. I bought one just figuring I could sell the dinosaur alone for $10 as I don't care about them at all. I just buy the slightly smaller knockoffs. :) I would like a new T-Rex, I have the Dino Attack / Dino 2010 one with the light up tongue.

Nice find on the Scooby sets, I set them up at Halloween time, besides the van which I keep out all the time.

It's weird there were 14 of them. That has to be two shipping boxes from LEGO. I bought one just figuring I could sell the dinosaur alone for $10 as I don't care about them at all. I just buy the slightly smaller knockoffs. :) I would like a new T-Rex, I have the Dino Attack / Dino 2010 one with the light up tongue.

Nice find on the Scooby sets, I set them up at Halloween time, besides the van which I keep out all the time.
They sold out of those 14 immediately and then added more stock multiple times over the weekend. Sometimes they would get 1, sometimes 2, sometimes 13. I really wonder where these all came from and what condition they will be in.

I built the Mystery Machine over the weekend. Really nice design. I wish all 4 figures plus Scooby fit inside but I understand why that wouldn't work. Maybe I'll modify it.

I also sort of wish there was an action feature where the supernatural bad guys were exposed to be regular old cranks like on the show (reverse Hidden Side effect). For example with the tree it would be pretty easy to have a lever that pops it open and there's an old guy inside.

Most of the monsters in Scooby Doo have the reversible faces showing them to be humans. I have the bro and the lesbians in the Scooby Machine and Scooby and Shaggy on the motorcycle from the big mansion / castle.

Most of the monsters in Scooby Doo have the reversible faces showing them to be humans. I have the bro and the lesbians in the Scooby Machine and Scooby and Shaggy on the motorcycle from the big mansion / castle.
Oh interesting. I have only built the van set and I don't think the zombie has a reversible face (presumably because he has no hat or hair to hide the other side). I want to try to get the castle but it costs a fortune and I don't want to get the Asian knockoff.

Oh interesting. I have only built the van set and I don't think the zombie has a reversible face (presumably because he has no hat or hair to hide the other side). I want to try to get the castle but it costs a fortune and I don't want to get the Asian knockoff.
I'm trying remember the figures as I have about 5,000 of them in 3-4 different places. But the vampire and the guy in the lighthouse do for sure. The zombie with the tree has the buttons on his back of his head to make sure it's a mask and not a real zombie.

Here's a youtube video of the figures with their human faces. I'd suggest muting it as the guy's voice is super annoying. What's also interesting is that LEGO could print colors on a black background in 2015, but since has done a horrible job with that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jua15tnXOQ

Amazon has DC minifigs for $3.44.

The increase in MSRP (on both minifigs and regular sets) is obnoxious but I think it is largely being driven by retailers who want to sell at a discount on or soon after day one. That doesn't make it any better but I think that's a big part of what is going on with these price hikes.

Amazon has DC minifigs for $3.44.

The increase in MSRP (on both minifigs and regular sets) is obnoxious but I think it is largely being driven by retailers who want to sell at a discount on or soon after day one. That doesn't make it any better but I think that's a big part of what is going on with these price hikes.
I think you have it backwards. Retailers want to price LEGO on sale to move it more, LEGO doesn't like that as it's a 'high end toy' (with horrible quality control). So LEGO increases the price on thing 20% to make up for the difference.

At the same time they didn't think this over. $5 for a 9 piece minifigure or $10 for a 150 piece mech? Not all the sets have gone up with price, so now it just seems random. But $80 for a 450 piece TIE Fighter and $90 for an X-Wing is simply insane. Then there is the new Creator 3in1 building that has 550 pieces and is $40 when last year's was $40 for 400 pieces. So clearly LEGO prices aren't based on anything besides insane greed.

And in weird LEGO news I don't believe, supposedly this summer there will be a new AR LEGO theme. I find that hard to believe as we haven't had more than two original LEGO themes in over a decade. Plus what if Hidden Side failed? LEGO just going to throw another AR theme at the wall and hope it sticks? All I ask for is a theme that has better boxes than the Hidden Side sets. Those things barely even show you the LEGO.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. There were three left during clearance, two boats and the cemetery. They were difficult to tell apart.

Also the Minion sets will be released in May. There are 5 of them.

We've been downsizing so I've been throwing out some of the Lego boxes I've been saving for a while now.  Hurts to toss them, but at least I get some space back.

LEGO hired Epstein to make an 'ad' for a new (previously canceled) line of products called Dots. The ad just shows young girls and no LEGO product at all. It's really odd.

And a new AR theme in the summer will supposedly have 18 sets, several will probably be 'spinners' or something like that.

I know this is a Lego thread, but just in case anyone is interested, the Mega Construx Castle Grayskull has been significantly reduced in price. MSRP is $250 and right now amazon and walmart are selling for $130.  This is a 3500+ piece set and seems to be getting great reviews.  I just snagged one myself, but I thought others here might also be interested.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HKV9339/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

My apologies if I'm not supposed to talk about non Lego brand items here.  

I remember when I was a kid you could put two Mega Bloks pieces together and watch as they slowly came apart from each other. I assume the brand has gotten better since then?

My 10 yr old has some of the Destiny sets. They don't fall apart on their own (i.e. sitting on a shelf), but they still aren't as robust as Lego IMO. Some of that is quality of the pieces, some of that is set design.

I did like seeing some of the different elements that Megablox makes. Plus the characters have a nice amount of detail.

My apologies if I'm not supposed to talk about non Lego brand items here.
This isn't like every other LEGO place on the internets where you get banned for just saying MEGABloks. We make fun of LEGO. That castle thing looks really nice and is in sand green. We talk about Halo and Star Trek sets here too. All brick deals are welcome.

The Asian Temple sets have been released. I give in three months before they are 30% off like the Disney Train was.

LEGO is supposedly making a Creator Expert Manchester Football/Soccer stadium (10272) that is 270 Euro and 3900 tiny pieces. The picture I saw looked pretty fake but I guess it goes with some rumours.

Here's the link to the Chinese New Year sets (or really all sets that Lego considers Asian themed): https://www.lego.com/en-us/categories/chinese-new-year?icmp=HP-SHH-OC-MT-chines-1487

Is this baby minifig new (from set 80105) ? Don't remember seeing one before

lego-chinese-new-year-temple-fair-set-80105-15-5.jpg

Is this baby minifig new (from set 80105) ? Don't remember seeing one before
Are you asking if the whole minifigure is new or the print? The baby minifigure has been around for years, started with a baby sitter CMF in 2016, then the People Packs and have been in many sets since. There are sewer babies and sparkle babies for Lego Movie 2.

Some of my friends that don't work Fridays are reporting some 70% off toy clearence at walgreens that includes their lego sets, 60219 was one of the sets mentioned for  $2.99. My friend said most of the sets were still on the regular shelf and unmarked

Are you asking if the whole minifigure is new or the print? The baby minifigure has been around for years, started with a baby sitter CMF in 2016, then the People Packs and have been in many sets since. There are sewer babies and sparkle babies for Lego Movie 2.
I meant the whole minifig. Guess I've been under a rock when it comes to baby minifigs. I wonder why Lego made the Gingerbread baby a 1x2 printed tile?

Some of my friends that don't work Fridays are reporting some 70% off toy clearence at walgreens that includes their lego sets, 60219 was one of the sets mentioned for $2.99. My friend said most of the sets were still on the regular shelf and unmarked
The Walgreens and Duane Reade stores around me have 70% clearance on all Christmas stuff, but no LEGO left (if there was any to begin with).

I have a ton of nostalgia around Masters of the Universe and that Mega Construx set made me look up videos of the original Castle Grayskull set I had as a kid in the 80s. It was one of my favorite toys but looking at videos just now my mind was blown that it was supposed to come with all these accessories inside. The one I had was given to me by a synagogue that gave toys to poor kids, and it was missing all of the accessories other than the spinning fist thing and the ladder. Really strange feeling to see something so familiar but also new and different at the same time.

I meant the whole minifig. Guess I've been under a rock when it comes to baby minifigs. I wonder why Lego made the Gingerbread baby a 1x2 printed tile?
That's what everyone was wondering when the set was announced. It comes down to LEGO being cheap. Most of the babies have a yellow head, but there is a skin tone The Incredibles baby. They could have used the skin tone and just made the baby tan with sprinkle printing. But it's 2020, we can't have nice things. A LEGO baby in new colors would cost $1.50-$2 (I'm going by Bricks and Pieces pricing) and a printed tile cost 35-50 cents.

Grabbed the Captain Marvel/Nick Fury poly at Walmart. They also had the new X-wing poly, Trolls poly and all the Trolls sets out     

I remember when I was a kid you could put two Mega Bloks pieces together and watch as they slowly came apart from each other. I assume the brand has gotten better since then?
Yes and no.

On the whole, it's better. I have had no issues with the Mega Blox Pokemon sets -- they're actually all pretty fantastic. Gyrados, Blastoise, Mega Pikachu -- they were all fun to build and gorgeous to display. Even Mr. Mime is good.

I did have some issues with the Mega Blox Star Trek Enterprise, along with lots of other folks. That set is notorious for missing pieces and tolerance issues. I had both. There were missing pieces that I was fortunately able to cover up with other pieces that happened to be included, and some of the pieces were insanely hard to put together. I did not have any pieces that were too loose.

I eventually got it all together. I wouldn't trade the Enterprise set for anything -- it's magnificent. The smaller Bird of Prey is also really nice.

I've had my eyes on the Grayskull set for a month now. It's been $129 for most of that time. It went up one day, and then immediately back down. I will pick it up at some point, but something I heard said is (I believe) true: it will eventually be $100 or less. I'm just waiting for that. The Enterprise set was $100 and even $75 several times, including recently.

I had never considered buying Mega but was intrigued by the discussion here so yesterday I bought and assembled my first-ever Mega set. I have... so many thoughts. I will try to post some of them later but for now I will say that after decades of exclusively LEGO experience, putting together a Mega set felt a lot like being on drugs... in both a good and bad way.

The Mega Bloks Star Trek Enterprise was definitely irritating and had quality control issues but Mattel replaced all parts I had issues with. Mega Construx Castle Grayskull was way more enjoyable to build. Granted I have nostalgia for Masters of the Universe, the fact that the build goes by numbered bags instead of like the Enterprise was a huge factor. I find since Mattel rebranded Mega Bloks to Mega Construx that the blocks have improved, not to LEGO standard, and the mini action figures have greatly improved. LEGO is still the best for building. Mega Construx I feel sell to adult action figure collectors.

LEGO showing serious marketing savvy by targeting the Venn diagram intersection of rich LEGO collectors and drunk soccer hooligans:

https://hypebeast.com/2020/1/lego-creator-expert-manchester-united-old-trafford-stadium-set-release
And I thought the rumor was too silly to me true, but clearly LEGO has been drinking heavily too. The Disney Train didn't sell as much as they thought, so let's make another $300 set that's very limited.

And why isn't this an Architecture set? Can they make a Fenway set for me?

And I thought the rumor was too silly to me true, but clearly LEGO has been drinking heavily too. The Disney Train didn't sell as much as they thought, so let's make another $300 set that's very limited.

And why isn't this an Architecture set? Can they make a Fenway set for me?
I'm waiting for an official Lego model of Michigan Stadium. I mean if you're gonna make a stadium, why not do it for one of the biggest ones out there?

bread's done
Back