LEGO Deals 3

I'm hoping it's just because it's mini Mario, but damn the troll thinks look better.
I think the bar is pretty low for making a Lego set that would appeal to even the most casual Mario/Nintendo fan.
Digital chest Mario ain't it. The demonic smile makes me think more wario than Mario. His body is super wide but still has regular minifig arms. He also appears to have had a double below knee amputation with shoes screwed onto the stumps. And the eyes are burning into me likes coals, peering deep into the darkest recesses of my subconscious mind. This Mario wants to know my secrets and use them against me

I think the bar is pretty low for making a Lego set that would appeal to even the most casual Mario/Nintendo fan.
Digital chest Mario ain't it. The demonic smile makes me think more wario than Mario. His body is super wide but still has regular minifig arms. He also appears to have had a double below knee amputation with shoes screwed onto the stumps. And the eyes are burning into me likes coals, peering deep into the darkest recesses of my subconscious mind. This Mario wants to know my secrets and use them against me
:applause:

Oh good you have a link going.

All we want are Mario levels in LEGO form and LEGO gave up some bastard version of LEGO, electric board game? I'll pass.

A board game that takes 2 hours to set up? Yay?
An expensive board game that takes two hour to hook up.

People are like 'A real like Super Mario Maker', but if you buy all these sets a Switch Lite and SMM2 would probably be cheaper and more fun.

There is a rumour we will get a minifigure series. So there is hope. I just wish LEGO would go 'Here are the normal sets and here are the Mario Maker sets'. I'm not against new things, but how much do you think robo Mario will cost?

Also, while ranting, LEGO forgot about ADVENTURE TIME?! All we wanted was a display/play set with minifigures, instead they gave us SOME of the characters in brick built form. So what does LEGO do? More brick built charaters!

This could easily be like Minecraft, very similar and instead we get a video game thing. Rumour is the starter pack is $60 with 230 pieces. Ouch. And that the 'minifigure' series has 23 pieces, aka more Unikitty than minifigure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that Mario is hideous.  

Talk about what should have been a slam dunk property.  You make sets out of Mario levels kinda like the Minecraft sets.  Make a large Bowser set like Yoda or BB-8.  I dunno, anything else.  lol

Very surprised the Mario Legos aren't traditional; however, those are still a possibility. The announcement video could just be a splash with this Mario level in Lego form.

LEGO Mario was interviewed, we will get more traditional sets by the looks of it, and other IPs.

Mario’s universe is almost as big as the LEGO universe. Can we expect future level packs from other Mario games like Odyssey or Mario Kart, or from any of Nintendo’s other properties like Zelda or Donkey Kong?

Again, I can’t go into any specifics here, but I can say that we haven’t worked for four years to release just one wave of products. We hope to have a long and fruitful relationship with Nintendo and their IPs, and we are really looking forward to working with them on a longer-term. They have a lot of very exciting IPs that we might do or might not do.

Target has some LEGO for 20% off, including newer things that I don't know if they have been. The only thing that stands out is the Passenger Train is $128.

Of course you could wait until socially distanced Christmas when we are in a great depression and probably save a lot more.

I'm still here...for now. :whistle2:

I've been waiting for a discount on that passenger train, too bad it came now when I don't want to spend any money. :bomb: 

Ugh, I recently ended my employment with LEGO and now this set is released. 

It'll definitely be sold out immediately and I'm sure the company will piecemeal us sets like they did with Friends.

It'll definitely be sold out immediately and I'm sure the company will piecemeal us sets like they did with Friends.
The friends set is a shelf warmer now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The Friends set is an amazing deal. I HATE the show, but a fun set. But yeah it's easy to find now. It was the fastest selling LEGO set ever. This Pirate set will not be.

Why?! LEGO gives paid sick leave.

The Friends set is an amazing deal. I HATE the show, but a fun set. But yeah it's easy to find now. It was the fastest selling LEGO set ever. This Pirate set will not be.

Why?! LEGO gives paid sick leave.
I was a part-timer and recently they purged any and all employees who couldn't commit to 20 hours a week. It was a shitty move, but I was lucky to have a 9 year run.

I'd hate to paint such a grim picture of LEGO, but you guys should know that they treat their retail employees like absolute shit.

Really? That sucks. Is it worse than other retail jobs though?
Yeah. How badly can they treat the employees if they give everyone a free exclusive set every Christmas? Or staying at a job for 9 years. I mean look at the world we live in where you are supposed to give your life to save the economy. Like fuck that shit. Every retail job I've ever had would have broken 2-3 state work laws.

But I'll be the first to say to the cult like LEGO fans online, LEGO isn't your friend. They had record sales 3-4 years ago and then they profits dropped like 4% off the record 2 billion dollar sales and LEGO fired 3,000 employees.

Does anyone here watch Lego Masters? I think it's pretty obvious that Mark and Boone are the best, but I was very surprised who got sent home this week.

Yeah. I’ve been watching it. I was surprised by that one too. I thought they would’ve advanced just based on historical performance.

Mark and Boone have been consistent, but Tyler and Amy have had some really cool designs (the monster/bomb drop explosion, the bridge, the Egyptian scorpion queen).

Yeah. How badly can they treat the employees if they give everyone a free exclusive set every Christmas? Or staying at a job for 9 years. I mean look at the world we live in where you are supposed to give your life to save the economy. Like fuck that shit. Every retail job I've ever had would have broken 2-3 state work laws.

But I'll be the first to say to the cult like LEGO fans online, LEGO isn't your friend. They had record sales 3-4 years ago and then they profits dropped like 4% off the record 2 billion dollar sales and LEGO fired 3,000 employees.
Don't be fooled by that at all. They are constantly massaging ideas to remove retail employee perks. I could tell you stories about how they abused labor laws, but then again what retail company hasn't?

I haven't been watching Lego masters. Have I been making a huge mistake?
When my son and I watched the first episode we recognized some of the contestants from Brickfair which is the Lego convention that comes here once a year. We've watched all of them since. We don't like the reality TV crap, but really enjoy the building part. It's definitely worth a watch if you like Lego. You can watch it free on the Fox TV ap.

Don't be fooled by that at all. They are constantly massaging ideas to remove retail employee perks. I could tell you stories about how they abused labor laws, but then again what retail company hasn't?
I was going to go on a rant about every retail job I ever had being shit. Instead I'll just ask you, have you been getting paid sick time as the stores have been closed? If the answer is yes they are better than nearly 100% of retail, hell better than 95% of most jobs.

LEGO Masters is a fun show if you fast forward through the overly done reality junk. I fast forward and only watch the builds. Much better show than the ads make it.

I worked at what was then my local Lego store while finishing up another post-college piece of paper (about Fall 2011). I think most of my paycheck went back into the store :lol:

Other than getting deathly ill within the first few weeks and naturally getting negged by a secret shopper who didn't like my suggestions of the then relatively new 3-1 creator sets for a less "girly" alternative to Friends for her granddaughter while I could barely speak/stand (Oh, that speaks to your "what about PTO?" point BD), it was a mostly positive experience as far as retail work goes. Way fewer kid meltdowns than Toys R Us, and shoppers mostly weren't clueless.

That said, two things really pissed me off.

1: I started either late September or October and worked a few days per week. The employee gift sets showed up for Christmas in December (the 2011 Duck set, I think, and some related cocktail glasses?). Every person there gets one, but me - "oh sorry Pirate331, you started a week too late. Nothing for you."

2: Somebody returned a space shuttle set (10231) - open box, but the bags intact. Manager opened that shit up and dumped it all in the trash to immediately take to the dumpster. I recall she specifically said she'd fire anyone she saw digging it out... so much product waste at that place. Anything returned and open in any way got trashed. And this is the same manager who'd make us empty our pockets and shake down jackets/bags at the end of the day if we were on closing shift.

Swooped in for some sweet deals on big sets though - for instance, I nabbed an Imperial Flagship, Tantive IV, and the big Alien Conquest truck/base when they were marked down in store (plus a slick 30% employee discount...).

I haven't been watching Lego masters. Have I been making a huge mistake?
If you are bothering to post here, you'll probably like the show, but stop reading this post now. Spoiler below.

Yeah. I’ve been watching it. I was surprised by that one too. I thought they would’ve advanced just based on historical performance.

Mark and Boone have been consistent, but Tyler and Amy have had some really cool designs (the monster/bomb drop explosion, the bridge, the Egyptian scorpion queen).
Agreed. Tyler and Amy are top three, but no clue how Sam and Jessica have lasted this far. They get critiqued on uneven builds yet move on? Meanwhile Christian and Aaron have been told 'this is great, but you should challenge yourself more because we know you are great builders.' That's unnecessary because it creates a category for the great builders on the show and another for the average builders on the show. I wouldn't complain if it was once, but I recall it occurring multiple times.

I think it's been Tyler & Amy's to lose for most of its run.  They haven't won every week, but their builds are always super creative and just visually amazing.  Mark and Boone always have great concepts.  Aaron & Christian would have rounded out my top three all season.  Those were clearly the "Master Builders" of the bunch and solid no matter what the challenge.  The rest have been a mix of average to very good depending on the challenge.  

That being said, they clearly tanked on the Minifig Superhero challenge.  Their concept was terrible and the build was super boring.  I'm with Jamie and Amy, "a bake sale?"  wtf?  And I've built better snack stands then that dilapidated looking thing.  lol  They just had a rough time coming up with a solid concept this week. Unfortunately that means a ticket home despite all the cool stuff they had come up with prior.  

I have to say my favorite had to be the bridge build.  None of them were particularly good looking but the strength test was edge of your seat entertainment in this house.  We were all glued to the tv.  

lol I caught the bridge episode. I wish they could have put more than 1000 pounds.

Though I expected all those damn face plates on the side of the bridge to have been stronger than the technics. I don't know why they all thought technic elements would be superior.

I have a feeling there are better builders out there that applied but it wasn't just building capabilities. It also had to do with demographics, personalities and quirkiness. They obviously brought in a wide gamut to please every kind of viewer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

lol I caught the bridge episode. I wish they could have put more than 1000 pounds.

Though I expected all those damn face plates on the side of the bridge to have been stronger than the technics. I don't know why they all thought technic elements would be superior.
Real bridge building is limited by costs. That's why they are built using trusses and such...least amount of costly materials to meet strength requirements. If costs didn't matter, all bridges would be solid chunks of steel and concrete.

Most of those bridges they built were emulating modern bridges which they shouldn't have since it seemed like they had unlimited bricks.

The smug married couple built a solid bridge ironically because they lacked the Technic skills and accidentally built the strongest bridge.

At the beginning of the episode I was sure this was the challenge that would kick them off the show, but then I saw how they were building their bridge. They don't lose even when they suck.

And my son and I have noticed that the husband seems to do 99% of the planning and building every time the camera is on them. Bad editing or reality?

The smug married couple built a solid bridge ironically because they lacked the Technic skills and accidentally built the strongest bridge.

At the beginning of the episode I was sure this was the challenge that would kick them off the show, but then I saw how they were building their bridge. They don't lose even when they suck.

And my son and I have noticed that the husband seems to do 99% of the planning and building every time the camera is on them. Bad editing or reality?
We noticed it's mostly Tyler too. We actually pegged them to get sent home early because it seemed Amy was only there to make a pair. We got that wrong! She's either helping or he's a spectacular one man show.

I think it's been Tyler & Amy's to lose for most of its run. They haven't won every week, but their builds are always super creative and just visually amazing. Mark and Boone always have great concepts. Aaron & Christian would have rounded out my top three all season. Those were clearly the "Master Builders" of the bunch and solid no matter what the challenge. The rest have been a mix of average to very good depending on the challenge.

That being said, they clearly tanked on the Minifig Superhero challenge. Their concept was terrible and the build was super boring. I'm with Jamie and Amy, "a bake sale?" wtf? And I've built better snack stands then that dilapidated looking thing. lol They just had a rough time coming up with a solid concept this week. Unfortunately that means a ticket home despite all the cool stuff they had come up with prior.

I have to say my favorite had to be the bridge build. None of them were particularly good looking but the strength test was edge of your seat entertainment in this house. We were all glued to the tv.
I still think it's Mark and Boone's to lose, but Tyler and Amy tied them with three wins last week. True the bake sale was stupid for Aaron and Christian...

bread's done
Back