LEGO Deals 3

Oh I already know it's going to win. So no big deal, it's not like I hate Classic Space. I have almost all the modern City Space Port sets. What pisses me off is that there are already have been sets in a way, we got new Classic Space minifigures battle pack, the green minifigures with the Exo-Suit. I'd be upset if Pirates, or Town win too, or even Castle as we have the Idea set and a Creator set coming out with those themes. It's why I wish they would just make the top three or 5 into sets as they have to know there is a demand for Classic Space.

LEGO bought Brinklink and some rejected Idea sets are going to be Bricklink exclusive sets. Why not make the top 3 themes and then make the runner up sets there? Or even have some free with purchase sets. Like a small Ice Planet vehicle would be amazing.

Hopefully that makes sense as I haven't had my coffee yet. :)

You can also vote for up to three themes. Did you write in what type you? I want Aquazone as I grew up with that and I wrote in Aquanauts as the branch I wanted. I voted Aquazone, Ice Planet and Adventures.

I think it would be great if LEGO made 1-2 $50-$100 sets from the top winning themes a year, and then some of the ones that had support but not the top make
I picked three but I'm not kidding when I say Classic Space is the ONLY theme I had growing up. I had space sets and then your basic sets of blocks. Not mentioned but we kinda also got a revisit in the way of Benny and the Lego Movie sets. Which reminds me I totally missed out on Benny's Spaceship which I was waiting for a clearance. lol Oh well.

That being said, I'd never heard of Ice Planet but that sounded cool, so that was one of my other votes.

I'm with you though. Forget doing one classic set to celebrate their anniversary. They should do one per month for a year. They don't have to be big sets. Have a wide range of them, with anniversary packaging. Kenner does it with Star Wars all the time. AFOLs will buy them all.

I picked three but I'm not kidding when I say Classic Space is the ONLY theme I had growing up. I had space sets and then your basic sets of blocks. Not mentioned but we kinda also got a revisit in the way of Benny and the Lego Movie sets. Which reminds me I totally missed out on Benny's Spaceship which I was waiting for a clearance. lol Oh well.

That being said, I'd never heard of Ice Planet but that sounded cool, so that was one of my other votes.

I'm with you though. Forget doing one classic set to celebrate their anniversary. They should do one per month for a year. They don't have to be big sets. Have a wide range of them, with anniversary packaging. Kenner does it with Star Wars all the time. AFOLs will buy them all.
Exactly. Let's see where the demand is and make some sets based on them. It's why I was amazed there wasn't a wave of Pirate sets in 2019 for the 30th anniversary. Special boxes sell. Or hell, just make a collectable minifigure series that is just redoes of Classic themes? The series are not selling that well, which is why they got cut to 12 and the DC one has been 50% off.

Ice Planet is a post Classic Space one off. One of the first sets I remember having as a child was a Wolf Pack tower and this....

6834-1.jpg

That wouldn't a modern take be a great 'free' gift for $85 purchase?

Last edited by a moderator:
Or hell, just make a collectable minifigure series that is just redoes of Classic themes? The series are not selling that well, which is why they got cut to 12 and the DC one has been 50% off.
That sounds cool and I might be in for that, but they need to step away from their price hikes. I bailed when they went from $3 to $4. Saw the current wave in store the other day for $5 which is effing absurd. It's 3 tiny pieces of plastic with an accessory or two. So essentially $1 for legs, $1 for a torso, $1 for a head and $2 for those accessories and baseplate. They're high on themselves. If that were ever an option it would be interesting to see if they'd revisit pre-modern minifig figures. I still have a few of these floating around:

[attachment=35183:6a00e54efed4088834013488aa01e9970c.jpg]

That ice set looks cool. I wonder if part of the possible impracticality of revisiting old sets is manufacturing molds/pieces that no longer exist and LEGO doesn't want any part of anymore. You would think master builders could work around those limitations and find workarounds in most cases and still capture the essence of the old sets. Actually, probably the same would apply for those retro minifig parts.

Maybe I misread. I want them to bring back one of the actual Model Team sets, not a new entry into that theme.
It's a vote on a classic theme to be revisited as a 'single new product'. It's not LEGO rereeleasing a set.

What set would you like LEGO to rerelease?

Spend $40 at S@H and get a free (girl on a ) jetski or helicopter. Skating rink for $150. HP book thing for $80. So spend $150 on Harry Potter and get all three.

Looks cool. I like the use of shields for old fashioned roofing shingles.

Seems really weird to showcase the brick separator in that image though  :p

It's a teal brick separator, so it's special. :)

You want to read some insane comments, check out Brickset where people are complaining about a female knight like a LEGO set with yellow people is supposed to be 'historical'. :lol:

So any word on that Seinfeld set yet? Just saw a Community set on Ideas. I'm down for all these show builds. They're great.
Really want a Frasier set ... I know it’s a long shot, but if Friends and Big Bang Theory can get LEGO sets, then we deserve a more refined option!

Given Kelsey Grammer's political dealings, I doubt we'll see a Lego Frasier set.
So we can't have people who have different political views?

How about the fact Michael Richards gets a mini-figure?

Or LEGO releases a $200 police station the same here that tens of thousands of cops have been torturing peaceful protesters?

There's a big difference between a side character using racial slurs against hecklers 15 years ago, and a main character who actively peddles far right wing antics for the past 15 years.

And the police station was discussed already.

There's a big difference between a side character using racial slurs against hecklers 15 years ago, and a main character who actively peddles far right wing antics for the past 15 years.

And the police station was discussed already.
Far right antics? So far right that ABC would never hire him. Oh wait.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/alec-baldwin-kelsey-grammer-abc-multi-cam-comedy-series-1234832988/

Do you even listen to your own bullshit? :dunce: How about far left antics of blaming a foreign country for losing to a game show clown?

Take the politics elsewhere.  

Forget Frasier, give me a Cheers set.  

[attachment=35192:fun-cheers-lego.jpg]

Lol... that’s what I told my son, he was asking for a Moe’s Tavern set, I told him I highly doubt we’ll get one or figures like Barney or Moe.

Yeah I know a bar will never happen, but they could easily print "root beer" on all the mugs.
LEGO standards are wild. I'm love a Moe's from the Simpsons too. LEGO does 18+ now and did a Stranger Things set, so I don't see why there couldn't be more adult things.

the medieval blacksmith is interesting ... it's a very nice set that matches the aesthetic of most castle-type MOCs on eurobricks but doesn't really "go with" the earlier castle sets or the medieval marketplace. if i knew LEGO was kicking off a new castle theme that would be well-matched to this set aesthetically, i would definitely pick it up. but looking at it, as nice as it is, it doesn't really fit in with anything else in my collection. love that lady knight though!

The Brick Fan is reporting that somehow people figured out the top three themes for the new one of set are.... *drum roll*

3. Pirates (Adventures and something else is close behind)
2. Classic Space (No shock)

And he number one that makes me happier than anything.....

Bionicle.

I received the Harry Potter monster book set following my order of a over $75 of other harry potter sets. Lego sent me an email that those Potter sets are on backorder. The email from lego said I could cancel my order or change my order. If I cancel , will they charge me for the potter book I already received?

Ugh ... sorry man, controversial opinion, but Bionicle and all the other weird sets with oversized figures can stay dead. Every 5 to 10 years it seems like LEGO tries to get creative and does something weird to appeal to non-LEGO kids ... I feel like Bionicle is one of those failed experiments.

I never understood it, it was a waste of space on the shelf, I knew it would make the top 3. At least my other two picks made the cut, so much for castle though.

I’ve been on an admittedly odd Jurassic World kick lately, but it seems like the bigger sets never make it to any significant clearance or even discount. I ended up paying full price for the Dino mech set awhile ago, but has anyone seen the Indominus rex vs. Ankylosaurus 75941 set on clearance or even sale?

In other news, I just built the Dr. Wu’s lab set tonight and love all the monitors, laptop and other stuff ... really cool little set, $16 or less at Walmart currently. Oh and the 2 baby dinos will probably end up worth more than $16 in the long run, so I recommend it.

Ugh ... sorry man, controversial opinion, but Bionicle and all the other weird sets with oversized figures can stay dead. Every 5 to 10 years it seems like LEGO tries to get creative and does something weird to appeal to non-LEGO kids ... I feel like Bionicle is one of those failed experiments.
Bionicle stuck around for a long time though; I wouldn't call it failed, despite having no love for it myself. As I recall, it got hot right when Lego was having money issues right? Getting nontraditional fans interested, and dumping resources into world-building around the sets (I know they had comic books, and they were one of the first themes to have videos, right?) no doubt contributed to the rebound around 99/00 along with Star Wars.

All that said, not a controversial opinion. Really vocal factions for and against Bionicle in the Lego community. I'm just a little surprised that it's allegedly #1, considering how Castle, Space, and Pirates were bedrock core themes for ages, but not surprised at all that it's in the top 3. So much for that Ice Planet 2002 comeback... :cry:

I feel like Bionicle is one of those failed experiments.
Bionicle and Star Wars kept LEGO alive in the early 2000s, otherwise it would have been sold to Hasbro (I think it was them). It made BUCKETS of money and is clearly still incredibly popular. Look up the history of it and was VERY popular, lasted 10 years and so popular it was rebooted (but that failed very quickly). However it's still the longest running LEGO theme, more than NinjaGo and I think even Classic Space. (I don't know exactly what's included in that.)

I do agree that those style of play things I don't care for, but we did get some good parts from them, like balls and joints and shooting things.

I'm still hoping for Adventures to make the top three.

So much for that Ice Planet 2002 comeback... :cry:
If you can write in what "Classic Space' theme we want fill that in for the second round of voting.

What's annoying, if we get denied Ice Planet, does it have to be 2022? I'm pretty sure that was when the theme took place!

I’ve been on an admittedly odd Jurassic World kick lately, but it seems like the bigger sets never make it to any significant clearance or even discount.
In 2015, right around, maybe before Jurassic World came out, the big $120 set was $85, but the boxes were destroyed at the Walmart I used to live near and had the best clearances I've ever seen at Walmart, aisles of clearance 3-4 times a year.

My understanding also is that Bionicle was a crucial moneymaker when TLG was losing a lot trying to venture into video games in the late 90s. It wasn’t until Lego Star Wars and TT Games that those actually made money.

Now Galidor was a failed experiment

Some Bionicle and LEGO history. This is from LEGO's 2001 Annual Report.

In the 2001 financial year the LEGO Company returned a pre-tax profit of DKK 530m – compared with a loss of DKK 1.07 billion the year before. Profit from primary operations was DKK 822m. This result was satisfactory. The 2001 result was an improvement of DKK 1.6bn on the previous year's substantial negative result.
530,000,000 DKK was less than 50,000,000 pounds.

This is from Wiki...

Bionicle premiered in North America in mid-2001, where it generated massive success and earned the Lego Group £100 million in its first year.
As Bionicle's popularity rose, it became one of Lego's most successful properties, accounting for nearly all of it financial turnover from the previous decade. It was named as the #1 Lego theme in 2003 and 2006 in terms of sales and popularity,[4] with other Lego themes at the time failing to match profits generated by Bionicle.
It sold 100 million Pounds in 2001 when the company itself only made 50 million. It sales didn't peak until 2006. LEGO had to pay insane amounts of money for the Star Wars license, so the early 2000s Bionicle was keeping LEGO afloat.

In the next round of voting if it's Pirates, Space and Bionicle let's all agree to vote for Space. :lol:

I had to resort to eBay to get the mystery castle 70437, the second wave barely scathed through.
I swear LEGO only made like 100 of that set. It's already going for $200 on eBay. I wanted it and the tree entrance of Hidden Side which I should have bought when it was $14. (Walmart and Best Buy thankfully have that one still.)

Best Buy has the $20 4+ set from $12 if anyone is interested.

Top 10 in the voting....

1. Bionicle
2. Classic Space
3. Pirates
4. Trains (Why?!)
5. Adventurers
6. Classic Castle
7. Forestmen
8. Imperials
9. Lion Knights
10. Model Team

lol i love trains - probably train fans are dreaming of them bringing back the monorail - but i would really love to see classic space, classic castle, forestmen, adventurers, ice planet …
I love Trains too... as I just bought one a couple months back. :) So it's pointless bring it back as it never left, and we should get new Trains next year with a new Power+ thing.

Speaking of Trains the passenger train is $127 and 20% off. and the City Space Launch Pad is $80, both at Walmart.com.

Some rumours have it we will get another FRIENDS set and possibly even Sesame Street. I think the second Sesame Street will be a 2022 set.

Would love if trains meant a new monorail but have given up on that dream. Over the years they have cited loss of the mold and cost to make a new one. Umm you guys are the #1 toy maker in the world, making tons of money - how about you spend a little on a new mold, for something lots of people want.

Other than that I would want classic castle to win.

bread's done
Back