LEGO Deals 3

We now know what the 2023 Black Panther set will be! A $200+ buildable Chewy! Only have the video because it shows him. Don't listen to the women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejhNnM3Skh8&ab_channel=PromobricksNews

Last edited by a moderator:
The name of the bank is 'Gringotts Bank'. LEGO horrible sticker, seriously the worst I have ever seen, say 'Gringot ts Bank'. T is sometime short for 'trans' and the HP writer is a transphobic dumbfuck.
I didn’t look at closely at that until now. But man you’re right how dumb that looks. Now all I can see is “tough shit bank”

Looking forward to buying a bunch of brown pieces at deep discount when that nightmare-fueled Chewbacca bombs

According to Brickset this 420 piece set will cost ninety five euros. The members there even think that price is a little high. :lol:

98502_1.jpg

Chewy looks better in official pictures but that doesn't say much.

98474_75371%201.jpg

And two more Star Wars sets that aren't all grey.

$80

98474_75362%201.jpg

$110

98474_75364%201.jpg

That Marvels set is getting rightfully bashed everywhere - amazing that LEGO is just so tone deaf on their pricing for these Disney licensed sets
Lots of folks speculating that they’re purposefully pricing these for sales, clearance

That Marvels set is getting rightfully bashed everywhere - amazing that LEGO is just so tone deaf on their pricing for these Disney licensed sets
Lots of folks speculating that they’re purposefully pricing these for sales, clearance
They clearly are. They have been for awhile, but $100 for that set is insane. Even the Black Panther 2 boat has 120 more pieces, two more figures and is 5 euros less.

And they absolutely deserve to be bashed. 

​$100 for a 400 piece set is an absolute joke. They could get away with that if it was back in the days of the solid hull pirate boats maybe but there's absolutely nothing about that set that makes it worth that. It's a $50 set, tops. That's the same price as the flippin' Avengers Quinjet that came out earlier this year which has almost twice number of mini-figs and piece count.

Actually it’s only 85 euros/90 dollars, not 100. /s

I don’t get it at all. Especially the price but also the 5-dimensional chess theories on Lego pricing things this ridiculous just for sales/clearance. Why? “There’s no such thing as bad publicity!” I disagree. “Well Lego wants to make sets that won’t sell so the shelves aren’t empty” yes that’s entirely how retail works. More /s

Only reasoning i can think of is that these “smaller scale” marvel films only get one set and usually the only way to get certain minifigures. This one is destined to have 20%-30% off markdown at retail almost immediately and then will probably languish on shelves for a year or two and swooped on at 50% off clearance at target and Walmart, but even that will be at the price point this should’ve initially been set around

420 pieces for $90 is right in line with the pricing for the Disney Princess line.  No one would question the price if this set was released with minidolls in the Disney Princess line.

If it is a Target exclusive, it will be 50%-60% off as a deal of the day at some point during its run.

1. Piece count isn’t everything.

2. Princess sets are absolutely overpriced. There’s a reason why even at 50% off, Cinderella’s castle is the only non-Dots clearance set lingering at my Targets. Ariel’s Palace has sat on clearance at my Walmart since March.

3. There’s a correlation between “no one would question” and “no one would care”

4. Target isn’t showing it as an exclusive, so shrug. And let’s not kid ourselves that the Black Panther boat is a good set to (very poorly) emulate

Don’t the Disney Princess, particularly the castle sets, usually have big panel pieces anyways? I mean the license tax still applies but the big panel pieces probably make a difference too. All moot anyways, no matter how one tries to justify it, you can’t, it’s ridiculous overpriced

Don’t the Disney Princess, particularly the castle sets, usually have big panel pieces anyways? I mean the license tax still applies but the big panel pieces probably make a difference too. All moot anyways, no matter how one tries to justify it, you can’t, it’s ridiculous overpriced
There are two $90 350-400 piece Disney Castles that are insanely priced. The reason they don't get called out is because no one pays attention to every single stupid Disney Princess castle that gets made. There are prints in these sets, but still 365 pieces for $90 is complete bullshit.

43206-1.jpg

43207-1.jpg

But then there is also this set that makes up for it. $100 for 700 pieces and looks rather large, also prints.

43205-1.jpg

I will always call out LEGO pricing, still bullshit that 20 euro Stuntz sets got for $35 in the USA and 50 euro sets go for $70-80. Almost as big of bullshit for making excuses for those prices.

Two cousins from Germany came to visit and we talked LEGO. One is 17 and one is 24. The 24 year old loves LEGO Star Wars. The 17 year old moved on to some Chinese brand I forgot the name simple because he likes the hobby but it's needlessly expensive.

Indeed, it could be that Disney Princess sets are just slightly more complex builds than 4+ sets and less complex builds than City sets, and as such, they contain a sizable amount of larger pieces, thus the high prices.  Obviously no one here knows because we're not the intended audience for Disney Princess sets.  But someone is buying them, otherwise they would have stopped making them years ago.

I agree that price per piece is not the greatest indicator of value, and it especially doesn't hold for sets made for the under 7 crowd.  Brickset lists some box weights, but not enough to make price per weight or mass an easily obtainable value unless you carry around a kitchen / bathroom scale (and if you instinctively recognize the number 420, you know not to carry around a kitchen scale).

Also given the current dumpster fire that is Disney financials, licensing might be a greater and greater percentage of Disney's profit.   And Lego could be expecting The Marvels to tank at the box office, and as such, Lego needs to make the most money from the sets they do sell.

You really do disgust me to the point I'm ignoring you from now on.

LEGO made two billion in net profit, Disney made at least 3 billion.

But they need to make money! Why don't you feel bad for the billionaires?! :roll:

Yes I think its safe to assume the reason Disney Princess sets continue to get made is because they sell. These sets work well because a lot of the bigger ones function as dollhouses essentially. Parents aren't necessarily going to go get each $100+ "dollhouse" each time one is released when their child is perfectly happy playing with the one they have. 

Also price per piece count is something only collectors pay attention to. Little Susie's grandma isn't doing that kind of breakdown when she's at Target picking out a birthday gift. Its more of "Oh Susie likes princesses, she likes Lego - this will be perfect" and if there is any question about the price Susie's grandma figures oh, well thats just what kids toys cost these days.

the Lego-Disney license was just renewed a few years ago. none of us know specifics but can make educated guesses based on history. Disney has to share scripts, art, concepts with Lego as the movie is developed so Lego can figure out what to make. This happens long in advance of the movies release. Both companies do their market research, don't throw things at the wall to see what sticks.

the bigger MCU movies, like Avengers, get about two small sets, two medium sets and a big set. The smaller MCU films usually get one set - Dr. Strange, Black Widow, Ant-man (the first two films got one set, I don't think this last one got a set at all) Some have gotten three sets - Shang-Chi, Thor, Wakanda Forever. Even then, not all movies have enough scenes, characters, vehicles, buildings, etc. to justify having multiple sets. The Marvels could be one of those instances where the ship with the main characters are pretty much the only option as a viable set.

None of the aforementioned films were outright bombs. Some definitely underperformed compared to the height of MCU for sure. But the idea that Lego has increased the price on a 400 pc set to $90 because they think the movie will bomb is just silly. This theory might work if they were hinging their future as a company on this one set but beyond Disney license sets, they have a lot of other non-Disney and non-licensed product out there. They've been the number one toymaker in the world for several years now and doesn't look like that's going to change. Even after the across the board price increase during the pandemic, product still sells.

As many of us have pointed out, they have been doing the price increase on licensed sets for years. It started as being called the "Star Wars tax" and now with it happening to MCU sets every now and then its just referred to as the "Disney tax". I mean I get that Lego has to offset the cost of the license for these sets and in the past it was maybe $10-20 per set but this one is just obscene. Priced as it is currently, it will sit on shelves until heavily discounted or clearanced out. Across all of the different Lego sites and groups I have come across, this has universally been panned. No matter how you try to frame it, it just doesn't make any kind of sense.

I'm not sure your concept of a perfectly happy child occurs in nature.  Friends sets also function as doll houses, but come in at a much more reasonable price point, mostly because no license.  However, also the complexity of the build of (good) Friends sets sits between City and Creator 3-in-1, but Disney brings with it familiarity, more so than whatever Friends is doing currently.  I was going to go with wine aunts are buying the Disney Princess sets for their nieces, mostly because grandma remembers what a hundred dollars could buy in 1978, but it's a similar concept.  However, it could be argued, not here of course, the Hoopty is going for this wine aunt audience.

I think we need to look at Disney as a whole, not just the MCU.  Disney have made a lot of not financially successful films recently, and park attendance is down, as is, most importantly, share price.  Disney has managed to alienate much of Star Wars fandom, and I'm not sure if loyalty to the MCU is doing much better.  Disney may be close to liquidating intellectual properties, so they need to make money anyway possible without further alienating their existing fandom and shareholders.  As such, I concur that the $90 price point makes no sense for a Marvel set when viewed from the point of view of someone who buys and is familiar with Marvel sets.

my remark in regards to the "perfectly happy child" was within the context of the people who are actually buying these sets being ignorant about price per piece count, licensed set vs. non-licensed. PPPC is only something collectors think or care about. You are pretty much making my points for me though. 

I am a Disney fan, as brought up here recently and pretty regularly over the years. I am pretty versed on everything going on with them whether it be films, parks, products, politics, financials, etc. 

I saw the original SW trilogy in theaters growing up, there has always been a segment of fandom unhappy. I think the DIsney produced films and shows have been a mixed bag but if Lego (or Hasbro in the case of action figures) make good product, collectors still buy it whether the film or show that was released is not. Its just how things work, same with MCU. A lot of stuff post Endgame has been mediocre at best but fans, collectors are still buying product, 

But the key thing you are missing here is that the Lego-Disney license was signed and renewed years ago. The money has already been exchanged. There is no price increase per individual set to offset whatever loss a movie might make if it bombs. Thats not how it works. Like I said earlier, this would only make sense if this was the only licensed set they were making and they are pinning the future of the line on it. 

Sometimes the right answer is the most glaring one. They have been doing this with select Disney license sets for years, the examples are there for all to see, and they seeing just how far they can push it, what people are willing to pay and for what. This is just the most ridiculous example of it yet. It will be amusing to watch since its going to fail. There are Marvels fans sure but I am willing to bet not enough to even remotely justify the price of this set. I don't think the movie is going to outright bomb but it will probably perform about as well as everything else that has been released by Marvel lately, modest at best, with the exception of Guardians. 

Back to LEGO deals.

From now until July 28 with a purchase of $40, you can either pick the LEGO Friends Emma’s Magical Box (30414) with code EMB1 or the LEGO City Skater (30568) with code SKT2.
And at $80 you get the 12 in 1 set too.

I'm building the Avatar little base and helicopter set [75573] and boy is the base little. I knew it was very small, but it's even smaller than I thought. The Avatar minifigure head is really weird. I don't know why LEGO added ears and not a molded nose. The helicopter is really nice, it's different and built up. I don't like the landing gear but everything else is really slick looking. Fits on the small land section nicely. The Sigourney Weaver minifigure is amazing. One of my favorite of the year. It's actually a really good set, just super overpriced. I got it for $40 and it looks better than anything LEGO has ever sent me. When it's less than $50 this fall [It's been $58 before] I suggest buying it.

I've been waiting for 50% clearance Avatar sets but haven't found any yet. Stores by me don't have many Avatar sets on the shelves to begin with. 

I've been waiting for 50% clearance Avatar sets but haven't found any yet. Stores by me don't have many Avatar sets on the shelves to begin with.
I haven't gone to non grocery stores in at least 6 months. Probably longer. It was listed on eBay for cheap [$52] and then I offered a super low ball offer [$40] and they took it. I think Amazon, Target and Walmart will have them for cheap come Christmas time. The set is already 30% off at LEGO.

I want the mech, sub, whale and tree. Probably is the tree would need to be like 70% off because it's so overpriced.

Very odd rumour for an Oct-Nov reveal / release.

A ornithopter from Dune. 1370 pieces 165 Euro. I'm a massive sci-fi fan but don't care about Dune at all, just seems to be a very weird thing to make a one off set of. There are no more famous vehicles from Dune?

Rumour time!

Winter Village set is a lodge this year which sounds nice. Two stories, mix of 'wood' and 'stone'. One of the GWP is a horse and cart. The other is a set of Christmas ball ornaments. 

Viking Village Target Exclusive set is supposedly only $130 with 2100 pieces. Now I need to find the boat for cheap.

UCS Venator is $650 5473 pieces

X-Men Mansion $300 3000+ pieces

Gotham Skyline Art set $300 3000+ pieces

UCS Jabba's Sail Barge $600 6500 pieces

Medieval Village and Market 3200 pieces and the price is supposedly $250 [I don't believe it]

LOTR Barad dur 4000 pieces $400

Overpriced Zelda Tree $250

Maleficent Dragon Diorama $100

Snow Whites Cottage $250 2500 pieces

Lego could call it "Overpriced Zelda Tree" and people would still line up to buy it, unfortunately. The Viking village and Medieval Market prices have me "I'll believe it when I see it."

I've reached my saturation point for big sets. There's still tons of "bought my first Lego in 20 years" posts on reddit but at what point do consumers simply run out of room for all these big sets. 

I'm surprised we're getting all these rumors but still haven't heard anything more about the Dungeons & Dragons set that won the contest.

Lego could call it "Overpriced Zelda Tree" and people would still line up to buy it, unfortunately. The Viking village and Medieval Market prices have me "I'll believe it when I see it."

I've reached my saturation point for big sets. There's still tons of "bought my first Lego in 20 years" posts on reddit but at what point do consumers simply run out of room for all these big sets.

I'm surprised we're getting all these rumors but still haven't heard anything more about the Dungeons & Dragons set that won the contest.
I'm not a Zelda fan, so I don't even understand what the tree is supposed to be. To me it make more sense for a castle like set, but LEGO probably needs a big tree to replace the Ideas Treehouse.

I completely ran out of room so I build things and stick them in containers. Should have stayed in NY with my LEGO room attic.

The rumours are because of that leak that LEGO was asking random people how much would they spend of several different sets. However the Viking Village comes out in about two months so we should see pictures within a month or so.

the rumored Dune ship is very evocative of one of the Black Panther ships that was released. The next Dune film was supposed to be out this fall so the rumored release date makes sense but the writers and actors strikes going on I doubt the movie will come out as originally planned. 

lots of other stuff on that rumored list that looks good though.

Ended up at a flea market today near a friend's house. One person was selling a bunch of Lego. Ended up walking away with a box labeled Troll's Mountain Fortress for $25. It's definitely missing a few things, but the two big fig trolls are there, and it included a bunch of extra troll minifigures. Pretty satisfied with the find - even if some of the piece are really beat up. Would have bought more at the table if I had more cash with me.

Ended up at a flea market today near a friend's house. One person was selling a bunch of Lego. Ended up walking away with a box labeled Troll's Mountain Fortress for $25. It's definitely missing a few things, but the two big fig trolls are there, and it included a bunch of extra troll minifigures.
The large trolls with the tattoos are worth $25 each in good condition. And the regular sized troll king and queen are each around there as well if you got them.

Ended up at a flea market today near a friend's house. One person was selling a bunch of Lego. Ended up walking away with a box labeled Troll's Mountain Fortress for $25. It's definitely missing a few things, but the two big fig trolls are there, and it included a bunch of extra troll minifigures. Pretty satisfied with the find - even if some of the piece are really beat up. Would have bought more at the table if I had more cash with me.
That's a great find! Any of the fantasy Castle sets are really popular, those big figures are awesome and only in that set.

The "Be Kind, Rewind" torsos from SDCC
They gave out that many of them? That's the type of exclusive they should do. It's cute but not some beloved character licensed character. Yet people can still sell them for stupid amounts.

Did they let you build them yourself because I love the different faces and hair pieces.

They gave out that many of them? That's the type of exclusive they should do. It's cute but not some beloved character licensed character. Yet people can still sell them for stupid amounts.

Did they let you build them yourself because I love the different faces and hair pieces.
The kids did it twice, it was basically a build a minifigure and it was a hassle trying to set up a time.

Went to the lego store today and saw the Dreamzz sets. I really hope the line does well because they’re really great

Saw the new Disney castle in person, the updated sleeker design of the columns look great for sure but I was otherwise underwhelmed esp with the interior

They also had the new marvel and dc sets

Saw the announcement for a new SW gunship, in the Coruscant deco. Kinda weird they released a scaled down version while the UCS is still on shelves. They really need to do a Clone Wars deco gunship, I’d be all over that

Just saw this rumored marvel list for the first half of 2024
76275 Venom and Doc Ock - Pieces TBC - $10.99

- 76276 Venom Mech - Pieces TBC - $15.99

- 76277 War Machine Mech - Pieces TBC - $15.99

- 76278 Rocket’s Warbird - Pieces TBC - $34.99

- 76279 Spider-Man Car (comes with Green Goblin and Venom) - Pieces TBC - $29.99

- 76280 “Spider-Man: No Way Home” (comes with Spider-Man in Black/Gold suit, Electro, Lizard and brick built Sandman) - Pieces TBC - $34.99

- 76281 X-Men Jet - Pieces TBC - $79.99

- 76282 Buildable Rocket Racoon - Pieces TBC - $54.99

- 76283 Buildable Green Goblin with Glider (branded under Spider-Man: No Way Home) - Pieces TBC - $34.99

- 76292 “Captain America: Brave New World” - Pieces TBC - $49.99

- 76296 Buildable Captain America (Falcon) - Pieces TBC - $34.99

- 76298 Buildable Spider-Man - Pieces TBC - $34.99

bread's done
Back