LEGO Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may head up to Target this weekend and take a look at the Indy ones.

I'm more interested in the city stuff, but I'd rather get the huge sets of those from LEGO.com and get the small discount there.

TRU sets.

ALL the sets are overpriced, and some hugely. The $15 Exo-force sets are $20. Last year they had the B2G1 free sale and it didn't include Spongebob, Creator, or Star Wars. Complete waste of my time.

Also, just a mild rant, but I personally am really disappointed with their new space stuff (aka Mars Mission).

I feel like they're trying to push a lot of those people into star wars (understandably, it's huge $$), but their space sets have suffered horribly.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I like the new coast guard Patrol Boat & Tower, but the Truck with Speed Boat looks way too big in comparison to typical city vehicles.

And why the hell are the new road plates so expensive? The older ones were used to be $6.99 a pair, now its $12.99?[/QUOTE]

I really like the New Coast Guard Helicopter, I'll probably pick that up in a few weeks with an Amazon GC I got.

The road plates going up to $13 is obnoxious. Maybe you can get some more of the older ones on eBay or more lego focused sites for cheaper?

[quote name='bigdaddy']TRU sets.

ALL the sets are overpriced, and some hugely. The $15 Exo-force sets are $20. Last year they had the B2G1 free sale and it didn't include Spongebob, Creator, or Star Wars. Complete waste of my time.[/quote]

You are right that many TRU sets are over priced. The B2G1 free worked well for me since I love city and castle sets!

I wish there was an easy way for me to get to a TRU, unfortunately the nearby ones have closed here.

I'll have to try and use that Target $5 off $25 Toys coupon and see if it works this week.

[quote name='lordwow']I wish there was an easy way for me to get to a TRU, unfortunately the nearby ones have closed here.

I'll have to try and use that Target $5 off $25 Toys coupon and see if it works this week.[/quote]

It does. I had no problems using it in conjunction with the sale 10% Indy sale. It says "Web Coupon" on it, so there's no "why is this printed out" questions. And it scanned fine, though it took her a couple passes.

I'm actually about to head out on my lunch break and pick up some more.

[quote name='n64ra']whoa, the new sets are out. How is the 493 piece Troll Warship $10 more than the 628 piece Skeleton Ship Attack ?!?[/quote]

Dragon tax. ;)

Hmmm...Seems like the Castle sets are turning into World of Brickcraft.

[quote name='Pirate331']Bring back the M-Tron, Black-Tron, and Space Police. :([/quote]

I haven't really been into the Space theme at all since I was a kid (which was a LONG time ago), but yeah, I remember loving those sets. Still have 'em in my parents' attic.

I still have all of the early, early Space sets as well. I still remember in elementary school saving up for this one and my mom driving me to K-Mart to get it. Looking at those sets now, they seem kind of pathetic, but they were the shiz-it back in tha day. On the other hand, now I see stuff like this and I literally have to laugh out loud:

10192-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

Does anyone remember the Forestmen sets? Those were some of the best they ever made.

[quote name='n64ra']is that space spider set a user created one (creator series I think)?[/quote]

Yeah, it's a LEGO Factory set, so technically it doesn't count as Space. But on the other hand they did decide to mass produce it, and man is it silly.

That said, the other Space-themed LEGO Factory set is probably the best-looking non-Star Wars space set they've put out in years:

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=10191&cn=301

[quote name='Tybee']

I still have all of the early, early Space sets as well. I still remember in elementary school saving up for this one and my mom driving me to K-Mart to get it. Looking at those sets now, they seem kind of pathetic, but they were the shiz-it back in tha day.

Does anyone remember the Forestmen sets? Those were some of the best they ever made.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I had that space set, it was one of my first big sets. I loved it because it had the little ships the guys could get into and leave the station.

Forestmen were awesome. I regularly pitted them against all my knight guys.

[quote name='n64ra']TRU has the best non clearance LEGO sale I've ever seen. Last year, it was B2G1 free excluding Star Wars sets. I can't remember the exact dates. My guess is it was a week in October.

It seems Target randomly has sales on themes. Right now it is Indy. Earlier this year, the Aqua Raiders were a large percent off (15%-25% ?).

The problem I always have is finding the items in stock. The shipping from TRU.com and Target.com almost always kill any deals that their B&M have.[/quote]

Best non-clearance sale I ever found was Fred Meyer. They had B1G1F during the founders days. It did exclude Star Wars, but I was able to snag the Speed Racer set at a fantastic price.

[quote name='Tybee']Those Coast Guard sets are pretty badass...Makes me want LEGO Deadliest Catch. ;)[/quote]

You might be in Luck. there is a creator set coming out later this year (around august) that is going to be a car ferry boat. It looks simple to convert this into a fixed hull (the front opens as does the back). Now all you need is the nets form the indy sets and you can have your "North Western".

[quote name='EvilIA']You might be in Luck. there is a creator set coming out later this year (around august) that is going to be a car ferry boat. It looks simple to convert this into a fixed hull (the front opens as does the back). Now all you need is the nets form the indy sets and you can have your "North Western".[/quote]

Seems like you can do better than that already with the container ship that comes with City Harbor:

7994-0000-xx-33-1.jpg

[quote name='lordwow']I think I'll be heading to my local Target tomorrow to see if I can get some Indy + Coupon deals. We'll see.[/quote]

Mine had all the Crystal Skull sets in stock and rainchecks valid for 45 days for all the Classic sets!

[quote name='n64ra']Mine had all the Crystal Skull sets in stock and rainchecks valid for 45 days for all the Classic sets![/QUOTE]

Good to know, is that normal Target procedure for these type of sales?

[quote name='lordwow']I had a few Forrestmen set.

All of the sets around that time were well done.[/quote]
I loved the Forrestmen and Wolfpack sets. When I was a kid it was all about the Space police sets.

My Target was absolutley wiped of LEGO, namely the Indy ones that were on sale (the only had about 20 sets total, very disappointing).

However, they forgot to mark down 10% the Race for the stolen treasure, which was marked $29.99 and the were 2 left, so I nabbed one, checked it on the in-store scanner (it was $26.99), and then found the most unenthusiastic cashier to accept the $5 off $25, so I got it for $21.99+tax. Very nice.

[quote name='lordwow']

However, they forgot to mark down 10% the Race for the stolen treasure, which was marked $29.99 and the were 2 left, so I nabbed one, checked it on the in-store scanner (it was $26.99), and then found the most unenthusiastic cashier to accept the $5 off $25, so I got it for $21.99+tax. Very nice.[/quote]

You were lucky. If the cashier cared the coupon most likely says somewhere "Doesn't count on sales and clearance and yadda yadda...".

[quote name='lordwow']Good to know, is that normal Target procedure for these type of sales?[/quote]

I didn't think so, but I was more than happy to get my raincheck on the Temple Escape.

[quote name='bigdaddy']You were lucky. If the cashier cared the coupon most likely says somewhere "Doesn't count on sales and clearance and yadda yadda...".[/quote]

I just made three trips through the check out line (used three different lines just to be sure). Once for Temple of the Crystal Skull, once for Jungle Cutter, and once for Jungle Duel and River Chase. Each time I used the $5 off coupon and got the 10% off too.

[quote name='lordwow']My Target was absolutley wiped of LEGO, namely the Indy ones that were on sale (the only had about 20 sets total, very disappointing).

However, they forgot to mark down 10% the Race for the stolen treasure, which was marked $29.99 and the were 2 left, so I nabbed one, checked it on the in-store scanner (it was $26.99), and then found the most unenthusiastic cashier to accept the $5 off $25, so I got it for $21.99+tax. Very nice.[/quote]

No rainchecks posted?

[quote name='n64ra']No rainchecks posted?[/QUOTE]

No. They didn't even sell any of the other Indy sets except for the $8.99 one shown in the ad.

I love Legos, but Targets clearance prices have spoiled me...I won't buy Lego sets even if they are on sale and using the coupon cause they aren't cheap enough!

Quick question for you guys...do any of you belong to the builder's club thing they keep trying to sell you in the back of the free Lego newsletter/magazine. I was wondering if the "free" exclusive Lego kits they give bimonthly are worth the price of the membership. Thanks.

[quote name='180husher']
Quick question for you guys...do any of you belong to the builder's club thing they keep trying to sell you in the back of the free Lego newsletter/magazine. I was wondering if the "free" exclusive Lego kits they give bimonthly are worth the price of the membership. Thanks.[/quote]

That's Brickmasters. I don't get it, the it cost $40 a year, you get two $5 coupons to the LEGO Store (and most likely LEGO S@H), so that would make it $30, then you get 6 sets a year, so that's $4-5 sets. So if you think the small models are worth that then buy it.

And LEGO is being sneaky. The new Agents sets are online but you have to put the set number in to find them.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2008/...o-agents-go-on-youll-be-fine-review/#comments

I got all of the Classic Indy sets. By the time I decided that was my goal, finding the Escape From the Temple set became a bit of a challenge. I really saw the classic sets disappear as the week went along (the Crystal Skull sets were easier to find). But I nabbed the last Temple set at my nearest Target yesterday. Worked out like this:

Race for the Stolen Treasure = ~$22 after discounts
Motorcycle Chase + Lost Tomb = ~$22 after discounts
Temple Escape = ~$49 after discounts

[quote name='bigdaddy']That's Brickmasters. I don't get it, the it cost $40 a year, you get two $5 coupons to the LEGO Store (and most likely LEGO S@H), so that would make it $30, then you get 6 sets a year, so that's $4-5 sets. So if you think the small models are worth that then buy it.

And LEGO is being sneaky. The new Agents sets are online but you have to put the set number in to find them.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2008/...o-agents-go-on-youll-be-fine-review/#comments[/quote]

Yes. Brickmaster. the coupons are only for S@H. The $5 mini-creator sets you get that come with it are okay. Nothing you can't pickup in the $3.49 impulse sets. The magazine is written for 8 year olds, or so, it's terribly hard to follow. I give it to my kids to look at the pictures. I subscribed, but never will again. Just not worth it. Put the money down on a set instead.

They have hidden tons of things over the years. they found out about a VW Bug and a few other things by going through the customer service links for missing pieces. Also going through the lego web cache looking for set numbers.

[quote name='lordwow']My fiancee picked us up the escape from the temple set :whee:[/quote]

damn, you're marrying a good girl

[quote name='n64ra']One of my TRUs has the Crab Crusher for $40 ($10 off). This is clearance so hopefully the price will fall further.[/quote]

Dang...I want that. I haven't seen any Aqua Raiders at any of the Atlanta Targets.

If someone runs into any free lego kits( I know, not very likely) then they should also post it in the "Contests and Free Stuff" section. I haven't found any yet, but if I do, I'll post it in here and in the aforementioned section of cheapassgamer.

The Aqua Raiders are awesome, but I don't know if I'm down with the "Agents" sets. What is this, LEGO Austin Powers?
8633-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

Yup. Sharks with frickin' laser beams.

I was at TRU yesterday seeing if I could score a clearance Town House and saw those agents sets. Some are pretty creative, it seems that fans or others have been asking for James bond type of stuff. I laughed at the sharks with lasers. The rest of the sets looked pretty good. I'm not sure I'm okay with all the technics style bricks being used. But over it's pretty nice.

I wish Wal-Mart would clearance the Town House stuff, mine has over 8 of them just ready for me to buy. They also have over 12 of the MTT, just waiting for that to go down for all the brown.

HAHAHA i can't believe that that's real. sharks with fricken lazer beams! a little customization and you could have a kickass dr evil custom set. i haven't found any deals recently. I'm crazy cheap so i don't bite unless the legos are 40% or more off. always hit up goodwill too.

the pirate set i was thinking of was newer than i remembered. apparently it was "limited edition"

http://www.brickset.com/detail.aspx?Set=6249-1

Aqua Raiders are sweet, as were the old Aquazone sets. Agents, I don't think so.

On a side note, my TRU has every new Batman, Coast Guard, Mars Mission, and Castle set overpriced except the $49.99 Batman set. Ususally, about 50% of the sets are overpriced there. I couldn't believe it.

I agree TRU totally overprices their sets, especially the big ones. However, with that said, I bought the rereleased Lego Castle series 'Dwarves Mine' for $49.99 at TRU a few weeks back and that was actually 10 bucks less than the LEGO store was charging, so occasionally TRU can work in your favor. Great set btw

KB Toys also overprices their set. I didn't realize it at the time, but they're all about $5-$10 more than anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back