LEGO Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='brennok']
What do you guys feel is a good price per brick in the sets? [/quote]

It used to be about 100 pieces for $10, give or take 10 pieces. More minifigures and such will also mess with that pricing. However with the new sets coming out I have no clue. Since the price of oil (plastic is made from oil) was 4 times higher 6 months ago when the bricks for the 2009 sets were made the cost has gone up a lot.

Also any sets you recommend for someone who has hasn't built anything in years?
Well it matters what you like, how much you want to spend. I'll stay below $10.

For Castle I'd say this, it's only $8, if you can find it. However there isn't a lot to build. :)

City
This truck is great, one of the best designs, and highly detailed. Plus 200 pieces for $15 is deal.

This and this are $10 each for 130 pieces. Yes they are the same basic design, but if it's not flawed why screw with it?

This is also $10 if you want a helicopter.

Creator
Anything here is really nice.

Everything else I'm not really sure of, or don't own. If you have tons of money you want to spend you can get Cafe Corner and Green Grocer! Look those up and see for yourself. :lol:

[quote name='bigdaddy']Well it matters what you like, how much you want to spend. I'll stay below $10.
[/quote]

I would say I want to spend around $50-$100 so I can get a good size set that might take me a little while to build. This way I either love it or will know by the end of the set. I would say I prefer buildings over vehicles, but it looks more and more like vehicles seem to be the primary sets these days.

I liked how the Agents looked but wish they had a larger base. The volcano base didn't do anything for me but the mobile transport didn't look bad. Some of the city sets also looked interesting.

I wish they had elaborate sets aimed at 16+ similar to the Cafe Corner or Green Grocer but in each line. For example I would love to build something like a huge elaborate castle or big base.

[quote name='brennok']I would say I want to spend around $50-$100 so I can get a good size set that might take me a little while to build. This way I either love it or will know by the end of the set. I would say I prefer buildings over vehicles, but it looks more and more like vehicles seem to be the primary sets these days.

I liked how the Agents looked but wish they had a larger base. The volcano base didn't do anything for me but the mobile transport didn't look bad. Some of the city sets also looked interesting.

I wish they had elaborate sets aimed at 16+ similar to the Cafe Corner or Green Grocer but in each line. For example I would love to build something like a huge elaborate castle or big base.[/quote]

Walmart has the Siege Castle for $50... half off. Gives you plenty of walls to work with.

Also the Creator series has houses at about $40, Beach, Town, and they'll have another house soon, but they aren't HUGE, not like the Green Grocer or the Hotel corner.

I sort of agree that most of these sets should have a play area, some big base or staging area, but it would be expensive.

I got back into LEGO because of the classic Indy sets. But I'd say a great "first buy" for either a kid or to get back in is the $10 Police Helicopter as well. That set is probably my favorite this year. It's just superbly designed with a lot of great pieces.

[quote name='lordwow']I got back into LEGO because of the classic Indy sets. But I'd say a great "first buy" for either a kid or to get back in is the $10 Police Helicopter as well. That set is probably my favorite this year. It's just superbly designed with a lot of great pieces.[/quote]

I'd agree, and I'm not usually a City kinda person. I don't think you'll find another $10 set that would match the quality of that helicopter set.

[quote name='brennok']
I wish they had elaborate sets aimed at 16+ similar to the Cafe Corner or Green Grocer but in each line. For example I would love to build something like a huge elaborate castle or big base.[/quote]

Well Cafe Corner and Green Grocer are on sale at Target and Amazon for $110-$120, plus there might be a 10% off coupon still working.

City Corner comes out in the summer, that should be a building. Bases don't sell as well as vehicles, that's why Star Wars redoes everything to death.

If you're waiting for a good set at $100, I'd just wait for the:

10193_box_in_front.jpg

Coming out in Jan. I'm not a big castle guy, but I'd lay out the dough for this one.

New Darth Vader's Tie Fighter just showed up at toysrus.com...I saw a shelf tag for it at a store yesterday but they didn't have any in stock.

Link I think that looks pretty neat... wish Star Wars Legos went on sale more. And, does "Exclusive Anniverary Edition" mean anything, TRU wise? Or does it mean it's exclusive in the sense that it wasn't made before the anniversary or something? I hate when things say "Special", "Exclusive", or "Collectors" and are actually just a normal thing...

gah I hate SW ... plus all the sets appear to me as overly expensive... that or my biased eyes think so when I look at the $40+ cost to all of them....

I did pick up the 10 dollar clone trooper set... the vehicle was nice plus it was part of a b2g1 sale.

[quote name='xycury']gah I hate SW ... plus all the sets appear to me as overly expensive... that or my biased eyes think so when I look at the $40+ cost to all of them....

I did pick up the 10 dollar clone trooper set... the vehicle was nice plus it was part of a b2g1 sale.[/quote]

I too hate them because they stopped making $10 and $20 sets for the most part, that's all I ever bought. Star Wars used to follow the same rules as other sets, 5 sets, 5 different prices. Now they just make a set and screw it. The first ATT or AAT was $20, the new one is $50. That deals with the new pieces they make just for Star Wars and the price to get the license to make the sets.

Limited Edition means you should buy it as soon as possible like the IJ4 $50 plane they had, that was gone within a month. However the new TIE Fighter is special because it's the 10th year of LEGO sets or something. So it has a special box that looks like some of the first sets. Plus it might have an extra chrome black Darth Vador.

I like the Fire Station, it's $60 and the side walls aren't complete, but I found it for $43 years ago and got a great deal on red 1x4 bricks bricks to fix that.

[quote name='xycury']gah I hate SW ... plus all the sets appear to me as overly expensive... that or my biased eyes think so when I look at the $40+ cost to all of them....

I did pick up the 10 dollar clone trooper set... the vehicle was nice plus it was part of a b2g1 sale.[/quote]

Yeah...when they figured out that people shit frisbees for the star wars minifigures they started spreading them out over huge sets. Back when star wars lego's were new you could buy a little 4 dollar box with yoda or darth vader in it.

[quote name='Irukandji']Yeah...when they figured out that people shit frisbees for the star wars minifigures they started spreading them out over huge sets. Back when star wars lego's were new you could buy a little 4 dollar box with yoda or darth vader in it.[/quote]

no wonder I see minifigs at ebay for 10 + 3 shipping....

13 for a minifig... wth.

I wish SW to be gone, so that Lego can come up with a real idea....

[quote name='Irukandji']Yeah...when they figured out that people shit frisbees for the star wars minifigures they started spreading them out over huge sets. Back when star wars lego's were new you could buy a little 4 dollar box with yoda or darth vader in it.[/quote]

There was never a $4 set with Yoda otherwise I would have owned it. There was a $10 set with Yoda that I never got. :(

Wikipedia says (I know I know) that LEGO Star Wars license only goes to 2011 now, then they have to pay even more money or end it. I'm hoping ending it, but there is supposed to be a live action show sometime so it will most likely live on.

I'm just happy LEGO sees there can be Star Wars and there can be Space at the same time, took them several years to get that.

When I was a kid all I would build were star wars and star trek ships out of my legos, or even just random space ships. The fact that they sell a lot of them means I'm not alone in this aspect. I sure as hell never built a freaking giant space skull, which is why I think you find that on the clearance page.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Limited Edition means you should buy it as soon as possible like the IJ4 $50 plane they had, that was gone within a month. However the new TIE Fighter is special because it's the 10th year of LEGO sets or something. So it has a special box that looks like some of the first sets. Plus it might have an extra chrome black Darth Vador.[/quote]
If this is referring to my previous question, I know what limited means, but I figured exclusive meant something else... Usually means limited in that it will only be produced for one store or something. I was just curious if that tie is TRU exclusive. The Indy plane said "R Exclusive" on the webpage, and limited edition on the box. The tie just says exclusive, and TRUs site doesn't mention it at all.

And I got that Peril in Peru plane during the B1G1 1/2 off - was really excited when they pulled like 4 of those out of the store room when I made my second trip. :D

The worst part of the star wars sets is that they've shit on the space (or the "classic space" according to fans) ever since. I loved the 80s-90s space sets, but ever since star wars came out, it's like they don't want to split the market.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']If this is referring to my previous question, I know what limited means, but I figured exclusive meant something else... Usually means limited in that it will only be produced for one store or something. I was just curious if that tie is TRU exclusive. The Indy plane said "R Exclusive" on the webpage, and limited edition on the box. The tie just says exclusive, and TRUs site doesn't mention it at all.

And I got that Peril in Peru plane during the B1G1 1/2 off - was really excited when they pulled like 4 of those out of the store room when I made my second trip. :D[/quote]

I know "Exclusive" means only that store will get it...it also seems that TRU gets the lion's share of these as Walmart and Target only get maybe one per season.

[quote name='180husher']When I was a kid all I would build were star wars and star trek ships out of my legos, or even just random space ships. The fact that they sell a lot of them means I'm not alone in this aspect. I sure as hell never built a freaking giant space skull, which is why I think you find that on the clearance page.[/quote]

BUT.... building after something else isn't really an original idea and doesn't stimulate as something as building it yourself. That's why my only interest in Lego mostly are for the pieces, build something of my own.

Hate SW in general, and if it wasn't for the expensive prices I probably would buy.... but I think it would be good to step away from SW.

I think the space skull is wacked too but I got it on clearence and at 900 pieces for 35, it's the best price I had ever for a set.

But if you look to the other set, Star Justice... it's a solid set, and proves that good ideas are out there.

I am wanting to make up my own theme.... I have enough legos that I probably could :D

maybe we should do this as a year end contest....

I seen other sites do contests like that too.

LEGO screwed the Space Skulls, the guy who made them made them better and LEGO went "We like this, but we need you to use these pieces", and became dumb down.

I actually liked Life on Mars, the aliens were neat and the sets were nice, another year and the second way would have been great. I think that was right before Star Wars, thus killing Space for 10 years.

I wish Johny Thunder would come back. They have the Mermaid and shark head pieces from a Harry Potter set. They should release a new wave of Johny Thunder but won't because of IJ. Adventures in Atlantis would be cool!

And once LEGO figures out what the words "EXCLUSIVE!!!" and such mean we will all know. :lol: I know they through those words on sets just to get people to buy them, you can just tell.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I wish Johny Thunder would come back. They have the Mermaid and shark head pieces from a Harry Potter set. They should release a new wave of Johny Thunder but won't because of IJ. Adventures in Atlantis would be cool![/quote]

Sorry, I prefer IJ (at least the classic sets) to Johnny Thunder. But maybe when they run out of sets from the movies, they'll start doing things like Fate of Atlantis. :cool:

If anyone is buying from LEGO S@H try this code....

$5 off $20, Coupon Code: bscv28

If that doesn't work SP118 should still be $5 off $35, that one ends at the end of the motnh/year.

[quote name='xycury']Is this worth it? TRU Exclusive?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3245132&clickid=cart

LEGO Pirates: Shipwreck Hideout (6253) 310 pieces...

but it does come with 6 minifigs...

still, it seems like it's exactly 2.99 too much ;)

I want to buy it with a 7.50 game, but with tax and shipping... it's going to eat up my 10 off 50 paid with paypal

XD damnit.[/quote]

I have it. It's strikingly small for the price (I paid $40 when it just came out). If it was $25-$30 it would be a much better deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xycury']Is this worth it? TRU Exclusive?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3245132&clickid=cart

LEGO Pirates: Shipwreck Hideout (6253) 310 pieces...

but it does come with 6 minifigs...

still, it seems like it's exactly 2.99 too much ;)

I want to buy it with a 7.50 game, but with tax and shipping... it's going to eat up my 10 off 50 paid with paypal

XD damnit.[/quote]

That is a very neat looking set, but for $42.99 it's hella overpriced. Needs to be about half that. $30 tops.

The set is supposed to be $39.99. When the pieces were made for these sets oil cost $150 a barrel, and we will be paying the price with LEGO this year.

The big Power Miner set is $70 when it should be more than $50-$60. The Farm set will be $60 and should be $50, the Harvester, the Pirate Fort should be $30 and they are $40.

So just get used to it, it's not all TRU's fault.

And it's exactly $3 too much for the Shipwreck Hideout. ;)

Lego Star Wars haters are haters.

I kid, I kid. Although they're by far my favorite sets. I'm broke but I came so close to buying the new/old Darth Vader Tie Fighter.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Some new Castle "pictures", they are so bad I won't even call them pictures.

Only three sets, my guess is $100, $40-$50 and $13-$20.

They are OK, but I don't understand why there are only 3 sets and one one of them is a skellie set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirdano/[/quote]

well this is a sub set right? of a continuing series, I think they do that with all there themes. just release a few, not a line of 5.

I am worried about the possibilites of impulse sets and sets >10... looks like they either don't exist or are too pricy to make maybe.

Subset of what?

Each line each year usually gets at least 5 sets. This year there have been 7ish Agents sets, 5-6 Castle sets, 10ish City sets.

Next year there is at least 5-6 Agents sets (No pictures yet, they are a late release), a dozen City sets, and only three Castle sets.

And there will be Impulse sets, if they are released in the USA is another question. The Space line is supposed to have two Impulse sets, one of which is K-9 Bot (Stole that from Doctor Who).

[quote name='180husher']Didn't somebody mention they liked this set:

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=7649

It's on clearance for $52, in stock now.

Three more hours and my kids should be asleep so I can start playing, I mean "setting up" their toys![/quote]

I like it, and it's a nice set for $70 compared to the 2009 sets and their prices. However I still wouldn't buy it, the aliens suck, and I rather have put $52 towards the $100 Green Grocer. if it drops to half off ($35) then I might buy it.

Medieval Castle Market is for sale.

Also all the Power Miner sets are for sale. The little set is $6, and the big set is $7, both are overpriced to me. However the mech is $8 and the $10 set is nice.

And the City People are up for the not shocking price of $10. It really should have been $8, but oh well better than $13.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Subset of what?

Each line each year usually gets at least 5 sets. This year there have been 7ish Agents sets, 5-6 Castle sets, 10ish City sets.

Next year there is at least 5-6 Agents sets (No pictures yet, they are a late release), a dozen City sets, and only three Castle sets.

And there will be Impulse sets, if they are released in the USA is another question. The Space line is supposed to have two Impulse sets, one of which is K-9 Bot (Stole that from Doctor Who).[/quote]

I just thought it was like a refresh of sets, not an entire line. I remember Exoforce only getting 5, but it was 4 of the regular bots and 1 big one, vs the year before it getting like 8-9 sets

Castle has 3 coming out, and this past year they had like 9 sets or so.

I thought it was like that with mars mission too, getting about 3 "new" ones vs their line that they had before.

SW on the other hand gets refreshed every year...

I guess I mean an expansion of a series vs a new whole line.

OH and Lego http://shop.lego.com/SalesAndDeals/ is going to have a huge sale tomorrow... probably to clear out all of this past year. I have been checking Walmart and Kmart and EVERY set is pratically wiped clean... don't know if it's them taking them down, or just xmas... but it was mighty bare.

[quote name='bigdaddy']There was never a $4 set with Yoda otherwise I would have owned it. There was a $10 set with Yoda that I never got. :(

Wikipedia says (I know I know) that LEGO Star Wars license only goes to 2011 now, then they have to pay even more money or end it. I'm hoping ending it, but there is supposed to be a live action show sometime so it will most likely live on.

I'm just happy LEGO sees there can be Star Wars and there can be Space at the same time, took them several years to get that.[/quote]

yeah that set was 10 dollars. i was thinking he might have been in one of these sets. 3 figs for 5 bucks. hah. man i wish...

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3340

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3341

Holy crap, $40 for Ahsoka's Starfighter. http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=7751&cn=520&d=322

..we bought the Anakin one (they're practically the same) for $20 at TRU.

I will be picking up the new Clone battle packs.

Two new Spongebob sets:

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=3833&cn=355&d=70

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=3834&cn=355&d=70

On a side note, my daughter put together her horse trailer this afternoon...feels a little light for the price. And my son was more excited about his Pirate cannon set than the huge castle! Although I will admit, that is one strong little cannon.

[quote name='xycury']I just thought it was like a refresh of sets, not an entire line. I remember Exoforce only getting 5, but it was 4 of the regular bots and 1 big one, vs the year before it getting like 8-9 sets

[/quote]

Castle had the normal 5 and 2 Impulse sets. Exo-force every year had several sets, the least it ever had was 5 and that was this year which was only released because they were already planned.

[quote name='Irukandji']yeah that set was 10 dollars. i was thinking he might have been in one of these sets. 3 figs for 5 bucks. hah. man i wish...

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3340

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3341[/quote]

Lugnet is so very wrong. Those sets were never ever $5. I bought the Sith one with the old guy and Darth Vador at The LEGO Disney Store in 2000, it was $10. I think maybe the Town Jr. ones were $5, I can't remmeber. I remember talking to the woman working there that on eBay the set was going for $30-$40.

And some Star Wars "The Twilight" ship is only $70 (The price it should have been to begin with) instead of $100. :roll:

[quote name='xycury']

OH and Lego http://shop.lego.com/SalesAndDeals/ is going to have a huge sale tomorrow... probably to clear out all of this past year. I have been checking Walmart and Kmart and EVERY set is pratically wiped clean... don't know if it's them taking them down, or just xmas... but it was mighty bare.[/quote]

You are good, the list went from 18 to 45 items on sale. Several Bionicle, the big Castle Wheel, the little Castle, Public Works Impulse set, the Tiny Turbos are $3.50, and the Star Wars ship key chains are $2.50. Space Skulls is on sale for $35, and Star Justice is not. How low do you guys (and gals) think the price will go on that? No one seems to like it.

If I was near a LEGO Store i would buy a Public Works or two, another small Castle set, a Tiny Turbo or 3, and the Star Wars ship key chains. However as a whole I was hoping for some real sets for 50%+ off.

Someone who saw the summer pictures, I'm gettign a feeling the train set will be delayed until 2010.

Here's a brief description of the 2009 city sets I saw on the traders' catalog...

7639 Camper: A nice looking camper, mostly white with lime green trimings. 2 minifigs, 1 guy and 1 lady. The lady looks like it will have a new hairpiece. It also comes with a surf board and bicycle. One other thing, it looks like lego has gone back to use the small car doors again.

7641 City Corner: Consist of a main pizza shop (2 storey tall), a bicycle shop and a bus stop. The bus is a modern design with 1 door in front and another in the middle of the bus. The bus is yellow. There are 5 minifigs, 1 lady [A WOMAN?!?!] chef (from the pizza shop), 1 figure on skateboard, 1 bus driver, 1 bus passenger and 1 shopkeeper (for the bicycle shop).

7642 Garage: A workshop to repair cars and trucks. It comes with a tow truck (flat front) towing another truck. There is also a small blue pickup in the workshop. There are altogether 4 minifigs in there. The workshop comes with winch and a mechanical platform for raising the vehicle.

8402 Sports Car: Small impulse like set that have a red convertible and a minifig. The red convertible design looked very similar to the one in the set 7898.

7638 Tow Truck: A smaller tow truck compared to the one in Garage. Did I mentioned that both will be in orange......

Ok... now the orange might be getting carried away. :lol:

The garage and tow truck should be mainly white with red and green touches to match every LEGO gas station.

[quote name='bigdaddy']You are good, the list went from 18 to 45 items on sale. Several Bionicle, the big Castle Wheel, the little Castle, Public Works Impulse set, the Tiny Turbos are $3.50, and the Star Wars ship key chains are $2.50. Space Skulls is on sale for $35, and Star Justice is not. How low do you guys (and gals) think the price will go on that? No one seems to like it.

If I was near a LEGO Store i would buy a Public Works or two, another small Castle set, a Tiny Turbo or 3, and the Star Wars ship key chains. However as a whole I was hoping for some real sets for 50%+ off.[/quote]

Picked up
Crossbow attack
Public works
Rescue Building Set
All four Racers (small parts are nice, and the glow ones are neat)

shipping was >7

total was $45

I was hoping too for some real sets, but no.... Maybe they will put in some more later in the day.

[quote name='Plac1d']Coupons for free shipping?[/quote]

Sorry, I don't think there is any free shipping.

damnit, I did forget to use a code to save 5 off 35...

I think it was SP118 but can't be sure.

$%^*(*& :bomb:

oh well....WAIT... phone call later and 10 minutes... the code is applied!

woot

got it for 40... not too shabby, eats up shipping to make it an affordable $2

[quote name='xycury']I just thought it was like a refresh of sets, not an entire line. I remember Exoforce only getting 5, but it was 4 of the regular bots and 1 big one, vs the year before it getting like 8-9 sets

I thought it was like that with mars mission too, getting about 3 "new" ones vs their line that they had before.

SW on the other hand gets refreshed every year...

I guess I mean an expansion of a series vs a new whole line.

OH and Lego http://shop.lego.com/SalesAndDeals/ is going to have a huge sale tomorrow... probably to clear out all of this past year. I have been checking Walmart and Kmart and EVERY set is pratically wiped clean... don't know if it's them taking them down, or just xmas... but it was mighty bare.[/QUOTE]

The prices and selection in store were a little different than these listings. I was able to get Star Justice for $35. They had the Fire Station but it was still the $60 full price.

My local Walmart put about 90% of its remaining legos on clearance today...something I haven't seen them do in years. I picked up another castle siege set for $30 and the mobile police command center for $30. These were the best deals they had but I'll be watching some indy sets to see if they drop...crystal skull set was $62 and jungle cutter was $30. This is walmart so YMMV.

[quote name='180husher']My local Walmart put about 90% of its remaining legos on clearance today...something I haven't seen them do in years. I picked up another castle siege set for $30 and the mobile police command center for $30. These were the best deals they had but I'll be watching some indy sets to see if they drop...crystal skull set was $62 and jungle cutter was $30. This is walmart so YMMV.[/quote]

grrrr clearence legos are :drool:

I doubt I'll see that, I'll check out a few WM soon.

I wouldn't mind another castle, and teh mobile police command has some nice pieces too.

Clearance LEGOs are nice, but they are like dinosaurs around here, they don't really exist. And if the Castle set was $30, then wouldn't that be 70% off? :p

The Jungle Cutter is still on sale for $30 on Amazon, free shipping and no tax (for most).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back