LEGO Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice pictures bigdaddy.

I got a $30 Walmart GC for Xmas, so I may use that to nab the shanghai chase set. It's $29.99 and has 5 neat minifigs and a similar design to the 2008 chase one, I love the classic car designs:

7682-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

[quote name='brennok']Quick question. I stopped by my parents and picked up all my old Lego and I was disappointed to find they had all just been thrown in a couple of boxes and old kid's suitcases. What does everyone use to sort their collections? I really don't want to dive into the castle sets before I figure out how I will store them once I break them down.[/quote]

I just use a large storage bin or two and divide each set into quart or gallon ZipLock bags (sandwich bags for the tiny sets). I put the instructions in the bag with the set. Pieces not associated with a set are divided into bags by type (wheels, blocks, flats, windows, etc.)

If they just combined all your sets, I guess start by building each set using the instructions to find the pieces, then as you sort them that way, disassemble them and place them in bags.

:rofl: I was telling my Dad about the minifigs and how ridiculous they go on Youtube, so he just got me the one with the 4 troopers and was like "Well those minifigs are worth more than I paid for it"

Edit: Ebay, I don't know why I wrote Youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lordwow']:rofl: I was telling my Dad about the minifigs and how ridiculous they go on Youtube, so he just got me the one with the 4 troopers and was like "Well those minifigs are worth more than I paid for it"[/quote]

Well to be fair they are Star Wars LEGO fans, so they are freaks. :lol:

The thing that pisses me off is the town minifigure collection, is $10 for 60 pieces, yet the Star Wars battle pack has 72 pieces for $10. City isn't a license, so I think there should be many more pieces, and another guy (or another girl)! Who really needs another police officer? No one! Five minifigures for City for $10, City fans are getting screwed over!

I bought 9 police officers and 3 firefighters with accessories off ebay for like $8-$10 total. I don't know why they're charging so much. I may get it just for the unique civilians.

I wouldn't mind if they did more with minifigs, like they did with the Castle Battlepacks.

Minifigs are too rediculous as it is...

[quote name='bigdaddy']Big news, and some sad news...

The 9V Curved Train Track is sold out in the USA. 9V Trains are dead... :([/quote]

Noooo! Some of the best deals I ever got were train sets at 50% and the Technic Space Shuttle at 75% off. Sad indeed =(

The Lego Store in the Glendale Galleria, Los Angeles has some sets on sale.

Some sets of note:

Jawa Sandcrawler for 99.98
Death Star II for 199.99
AT ST 49.99
Indy Chase for the Lost Treasure 20.98
Space Skulls 34.99

I'm low on funds or else I would have picked up the Sandcrawler...
My GF bought me then Indy Chase set.

Just back from the Braintree, MA LEGO store. My fiance got me the fire station for Xmas and a few things for her niece, so we got the XMas Bonus Box, which lets you fill a huge box (bigger than the $15 cup) with pick-a-brick. The selection was OK, I was hoping it'd have some bigger pieces, but almost everything was 1x4, 2x2 or 1x1 with a few random pieces. I'll post the pictures I took on flickr and link them here with what I got and why, but needless to say, I must have fit $20-$30 in there.

Though honestly, I felt awkward as hell picking there (and I was meticulous about sticking all the pieces together to fill every inch of the box), with a bunch of 5-7 year old and their parents watching me. Ya...

The store selection for sets? sucked.

Clearance:
$35 space skulls
$2.50 street sweeper/some orc impulse set
A duplo set

2009:
Pirates
Nothing else. Nada. No $99 Castlle set. No new City sets. No new Indy sets I couldn't tell you about Bioncle or anything like that.

I asked a guy working there and he said "A few weeks" they wanted to sell off their 2008 stock first. :roll:

Go to the Natick Mall, the mall is rich bullshit garbage, however the LEGO Store is nice. The people in there are friendly as hell, and no one gives you weird looks for not having children and buying LEGOs. :)

If the kids and parents are giving you looks yell at them, you are from Boston for God sakes. :)

Damn you people and your Lego stores. The only one in Texas is on the other side of the state and it causes me to get screwed with taxes on lego.com now.

[quote name='FadeToOne']Damn you people and your Lego stores. The only one in Texas is on the other side of the state and it causes me to get screwed with taxes on lego.com now.[/quote]

For your information Mass has three LEGO stores all within 20 miles of each other, and I have to drive to the other side of the state to get to one because LEGO is too god damn stupid to put one in at one of the 10 malls around Hartford CT!

So I too have to drive across state, the state is just smaller, however the fact Mass roads are complete shit outside of the roads in Boston because the people running the state are complete fuckers, makes it feel like it takes forever to get to any of them.

Plus why does it matter if you get taxed on LEGO.com? You get taxed at the store too.

Ya, I live closest to the Braintree one, but it was a nightmare getting there/parking. I only went because the future in-laws wanted to (and were driving), and I needed to use my box.

The box is awesome, if I lived closer I would have gotten one or two. I used mine 2-3 years ago and filled it with 2x2 dark red bricks, that's all. Plus a few 6x8x1 roof plates in blue, but I lost most of those. lol

Definitely. We've somehow misplaced our Canon usb cord to upload the pictures, but I got mainly 1x4s and 1x1s and stocked up on Reds (for the fire station fill-ins), Orange (from Coast Guard, figured they'll stop making that soon) and Powder Blue (I have none of them from anything that I'm aware of).

I also got 8 propellers, 2 ladders, 8 axels, 4 small wheels (the big ones were a waste of space) and 8 black tail wings (which I'll use for my space creations). Nothing else too crazy. I made huge 2x4 squares and stacked them up to the top for the 1x4,1x1 and 2x2s, and put a combination of 2x2 red no-stud pieces, and 1x2 grey vents on top of each.

You should leave the cord in the computer, unless it's a laptop. :)

Baby blue is awesome. I love how LEGO makes at least four different types of blue, which is somewhat useless, however couldn't make four different greys (old light grey, old dark grey, new megabloks grey, and dark bley), I don't get that at all.

you guys suck... the closest lego store is at least 4 hour drive to either of the closest two...

I want to see what this box looks like.

Lordwow, find that cable!

The box is a 3 by 4 inch cardboard box that looks like a little house with a sloped roof, or at least it was years ago.

It's a nice box because of that it's real easy to line the bricks up. You get it for spending $75+ at a LEGO Store. If you bu7 $75 several times you should get several boxes. I spent that much, but didn't dare go to the Natick Mall before Christmas. It's a real bargain!

You get the box between Thanksgiving and Christmas, then you have to go back to the store between December 26, and sometime in March to fill the box.

Yep. I still have the box. I took the pictures of the box and what it looked like filled.

They were being really picky about closing it when I was there. A lot of parents just tossed stuff in so it was a big pile, and then had the employee try to close it. I stacked it over the top with bricks that I connected into 4x4 or 6x4 towers about 10 high, but closed it myself and found the most disinterested employee to check me out.

Normally you can only get these cups (because all the pieces are squarish and the cups are circles), the small cup is ~$8, the big cup is ~$15. I couldn't think of a good reason you'd want to buy them like that when other sites online can sell you whatever pieces you need, unless you plan on buying a TON of one kind (like 1x4 reds like I wanted for the Fire station), or you get the things for free (I'd say you can fill up about a big and small cup full worth in the box). I had at least 5 parents ask me how you get the box, but the only way to get it is to spend $75 before Xmas and come back with it between Dec 26 and March 31.

I just measured it. It's 3.5"x3.5"x3.5", but the top part goes up about another inch, and it has to appear closed to the employees. I stacked them about 4" tall in the middle, and lower on the outsides (since it's sloped like a house when closed).

I mean, I guess they really make some stuff for the kids, but remember when that sort of stuff was awesome, like the 1980-1990s space sets?

I nearly threw up looking at the Power Miners stuff in the new catalog I got today.

I always get my catalog late, what's up with that? I can drive to Enfield in 20 minutes tops yet always get the things late.

And kids today are different than kids 20 years ago, that's why some things change. A kid today rather have a Nintendo DS for $130 than a $100 LEGO set. You just have to except that, even through it is hard. Hopefully the new Space Patrol or Space Police will be neat, they have different alien types (like squidman) so I think it will be different but neat.

So in short kids today suck, people should stop having them. :)

Also the fiance and I decided to save up and purchase the $100 Castle Marketplace set. The piece count plus the unique figures were just too much for us to pass up.

[quote name='lordwow']Also the fiance and I decided to save up and purchase the $100 Castle Marketplace set. The piece count plus the unique figures were just too much for us to pass up.[/quote]

I'll probably buy it sometime this year, and cut out the smaller sets, it's such a bargain. Maybe I'll wait for this year's free holiday box. :)

Plus it has a full turkey! That damn piece along goes for $20 on the black market! :cool:

[quote name='bigdaddy']For your information Mass has three LEGO stores all within 20 miles of each other, and I have to drive to the other side of the state to get to one because LEGO is too god damn stupid to put one in at one of the 10 malls around Hartford CT!

So I too have to drive across state, the state is just smaller, however the fact Mass roads are complete shit outside of the roads in Boston because the people running the state are complete fuckers, makes it feel like it takes forever to get to any of them.

Plus why does it matter if you get taxed on LEGO.com? You get taxed at the store too.[/quote]

Because you only get taxed on online purchases if the store has a brick and mortar store front located in the state in which you live. Before there was a lego store in TX, there was no tax on lego.com purchases.

Just has a heads up, Target might have the exclusive Agents set, the $50 one with the boat and the sub, for $35. That's most likely very YMMV because Targets don't have anything left. :lol:

I would love to get the exclusive Coast Guard set for that price.

Thanks for the photos Lordwow.

Doubt I'll ever get to go to one and spend that much in that timeframe.

again, closest stores are at least a 4 hour drive...

I visited my Target just now. They had the Indy Jungle Cutter, and the Troll Warship and that was IT. Nothing else. And they cut their aisle in half and put in other toys on the other half of the aisle where the City stuff used to be. Completely wiped.

I went to a Walmart and a Bj's, BJ's only had one Star Wars set for $35 instead of $55.

Walmart... this one is bad even for Walmart standards. They had the Castle Boat set and the big IJ4 set, neither were on sale like other Walmarts.

And they had 75% off X-Mas stuff, and all they had left was ornaments that were the size of basketballs. :lol:

Yeah my Target cut back their Legos to less than a half an aisle too. The other half are those cheap plastic playsets on clearance. I did see the Coast Guard Platform today though.

I picked up the Construction Site today at TRU. A guy was in the aisle with his two kids. We had a brief conversation about Legos. His kids wanted the IJ Jungle Cutter so I told him about BJs having it for $20 instead of $40. He thought that was awesome but didn't have a membership.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']His kids wanted the IJ Jungle Cutter so I told him about BJs having it for $20 instead of $40. He thought that was awesome but didn't have a membership.[/quote]

Also might not have them, you should have told him about this site. :)

Amazon still has it for $30 shipped and most likely no tax, that's about $20 cheaper than TRU would be selling them for. :)

I think Target played it smart this year with a lot of its inventory, especially Legos and video games. I know that after they sell through the xmas clearance toys they usually reorganize the entire toy section by switching aisles around. I'm hoping some Legos get found "in the back" and put up for clearance but I'm not holding my breath. I got spoiled with their summer Lego clearance.

Kids and I found a Indy Temple Escape for $35 at Walmart but thinking that it was normally $45 we left it. Once I learned it was really supposed to be $60 I went back and it was gone! That'll teach me, buy first ...'cause you can always return later if you change your mind.

Going to start the Castle Seige tomorrow probably...just need to figure out where to put that giant thing once its finished!

[quote name='bigdaddy']Also might not have them, you should have told him about this site. :)

Amazon still has it for $30 shipped and most likely no tax, that's about $20 cheaper than TRU would be selling them for. :)[/QUOTE]

I knew that they had them because I saw them there earlier. Of course us lucky NYer get sales tax from Amazon. I regret not telling him about this site.

[quote name='lordwow']Though honestly, I felt awkward as hell picking there (and I was meticulous about sticking all the pieces together to fill every inch of the box), with a bunch of 5-7 year old and their parents watching me. Ya...[/quote]

Nice... My wife and I spent about an hour there getting about 450 pieces to fit in that little white box. It was funny because you get to see the people come in, fill the box in 2 minutes and leave. Meanwhile, we were on the counter putting everything together.

One of the workers there was really helpful though and told us they are going to have a build your own minifig day in February or March so we're looking forward to that.

By the way, I have an extra IJ Temple Escape I don't need. The box is a bit bent out of shape, but if anybody wants it, I'll let it go for what I paid for it ($35 + tax). I'd rather not ship it though, so if you want to pick it up in MA, shoot me a PM.

Oh yeah, I also started cleaning my old legos. Just filled a bucket with some warm water and Dawn and let it sit overnight. I used a soft brush to get some of the grime off and for the most part it worked. Some of my white pieces still look a bit yellow though, but I don't think that's coming off. Thanks everyone for the tips.

[quote name='encendido5'] Some of my white pieces still look a bit yellow though, but I don't think that's coming off. Thanks everyone for the tips.[/quote]

That won't come off unless you use bleach, but that weakens the bricks I think, so just leave them yellowy, it adds character. :)

[quote name='bigdaddy']That won't come off unless you use bleach, but that weakens the blacks I think, so just leave them yellowy, it adds character. :)[/quote]

lol, I'll mix them up with my newer white bricks and write my name in the snow :)

[quote name='bigdaddy']That won't come off unless you use bleach, but that weakens the bricks I think, so just leave them yellowy, it adds character. :)[/quote]

Too bad lego doesn't do some kind of trade in promotion for some of these, since they can recycle them, they could give you a credit in stores.

maybe not insanely much but every little bit helps.

[quote name='encendido5']Nice... My wife and I spent about an hour there getting about 450 pieces to fit in that little white box. It was funny because you get to see the people come in, fill the box in 2 minutes and leave. Meanwhile, we were on the counter putting everything together.

One of the workers there was really helpful though and told us they are going to have a build your own minifig day in February or March so we're looking forward to that.

By the way, I have an extra IJ Temple Escape I don't need. The box is a bit bent out of shape, but if anybody wants it, I'll let it go for what I paid for it ($35 + tax). I'd rather not ship it though, so if you want to pick it up in MA, shoot me a PM.

Oh yeah, I also started cleaning my old legos. Just filled a bucket with some warm water and Dawn and let it sit overnight. I used a soft brush to get some of the grime off and for the most part it worked. Some of my white pieces still look a bit yellow though, but I don't think that's coming off. Thanks everyone for the tips.[/quote]

The box looks great, and I wish I was around one between the holidays and after new years to fill it up.

Maybe I can go down to Disney and get one, then like wait till my next trip to fill it up :D

I wish Walmart/Kmart/Target wasn't all trashed with sets now... I went to all of them around here and they have like one or two sets... a handful of SW and that's it. I think my other walmart still has some sets on discount.

I wish Lego would go back to the small sets... maybe if they got rid of Bionicle, we could get more sub $10 sets or impulse sets.

I would really really wish to get my hands on a Castle Advent.... :drool:

Ok now i'm just rambling.

[quote name='bigdaddy']That won't come off unless you use bleach, but that weakens the bricks I think, so just leave them yellowy, it adds character. :)[/quote]

Just call it "patina" and appreciate them as valuable antiques.

[quote name='xycury']Maybe I can go down to Disney and get one, then like wait till my next trip to fill it up :D[/QUOTE]

I'm not certain the WDW location gives those boxes (unless they were out or you have to ask for them). My wife dropped over $100 on two separate trips the week before Christmas there, and she only got a free keychain out of the deal.

[quote name='kojubat']I'm not certain the WDW location gives those boxes (unless they were out or you have to ask for them). My wife dropped over $100 on two separate trips the week before Christmas there, and she only got a free keychain out of the deal.[/quote]

ahh... wait... serious?... arg...

thanks for making me sad :cry:

Well I'm going to see if we can get to the Chicago one or the Mall of America one... either way it's not going to be fun driving.

[quote name='lordwow']Well, you can't even get the box except for right before Xmas.[/quote]

Yeah, it's way too late now, unless someone is planning 10.5 months in advance. You get the box the day after Thanksgiving to the day or two before Xmas (unless they run out). The box is then filled AFTER Christmas.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Oh brother, LEGO really pisses me off at times.

The Castle Advent Calendar only game to America because of a shipping mistake! There was 1,700 that were shipped here by mistake. Here's a hint! Stop with the bullshit European only sets!

Learned it from a podcast...
http://cdn4.libsyn.com/lamlradio/LA...08&nva=20090107051808&t=059f40f4a388e3293b493[/QUOTE]

I listened to that this morning, too. Why do they do those Europe only sets? I mean, I can maybe understand not stocking them in stores, but this is the age of the global internet economy. They can at least have the decency to sell me a Castle Advent and a Good Wizard impulse set on their website...

Don't even get me started on the Good Wizard set, I wanted 2 of those. I'm still thinking about fucking over the company by claiming I "lost" the pieces and then they send them out for free. That is the only Impulse set I like and they can't sell it globally?! That's fucking bullshit, more so when America buys more LEGOs than anyone in Europe besides Germany (Last public sales numbers I think were 27% Germany, 22% USA), why can't all markets get all the sets?

*end of rant*

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back