LEGO Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best I can figure is Lego thinks sets like the Good Wizard won't sell well here. So the cost of shipping and distributing them here seems too great compared to what they would get in return (and even if distribution is entirely over the net, the items still have to be shipped to the US before shipped to you, or you end up paying the long-distance shipping).
Not sure WHY they would think the good wizard wouldn't sell. My g/f bought on from Bricklink because she wanted one so badly.

It wouldn't, LEGO is just stupid at times.

Which is why their costumer service is great, you can screw them over when they screw you over. :)

Anyone know a way to find out the UPC for certain sets? I want to be able to print out a sheet with various UPC barcodes on it so I don't have to lug sets halfway across Walmart to check the price on the only working price check scanner. I know you can go to upcdatabase.com to get the barcode but I need the UPC.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Judging by the complete lack of sets on the shelves I doubt the Wizard would have had trouble selling.[/QUOTE]

My fiance hit up the nearest K-Mart. I had every set on the shelf. And I only have like 15 sets. Not a good sign.

[quote name='lordwow']My fiance hit up the nearest K-Mart. I had every set on the shelf. And I only have like 15 sets. Not a good sign.[/quote]

15 sets is 5 times more than K-Mart ever has. :lol:

And don't print out UPC! Bad idea! Several people the last few years made stickers of UPC's of LEGO sets and stuck them on expensive sets. So a $100 set becomes a $30 set, then they would resell the sets online. They are now in jail, so stores might be watching people a little more.

Just carry the sets across the store. If they don't have a scanner nearby I just leave the sets on the other side of the store as a hint. :)

[quote name='bigdaddy']15 sets is 5 times more than K-Mart ever has. :lol:

And don't print out UPC! Bad idea! Several people the last few years made stickers of UPC's of LEGO sets and stuck them on expensive sets. So a $100 set becomes a $30 set, then they would resell the sets online. They are now in jail, so stores might be watching people a little more.

Just carry the sets across the store. If they don't have a scanner nearby I just leave the sets on the other side of the store as a hint. :)[/QUOTE]

I know people bring in UPC barcodes in for video games when they go clearance. Its easier to scan the paper. Of course my WM has 2 signs that say "Check Prices Here" and you go over and there is nothing there. I feel like a weirdo caring a box or 2 over and then back.

I like the Walmart I was at the other day, they had about 6 scanners in a row in about 50 feet, and none of the side of the store with the toys and the garden section.

As long as you aren't stealing I guess you are fine with scans, but I don't know where you would find LEGO scans.

[quote name='xycury']
Lego gripe of the day: Why are boat pieces expensive :p I know I know, but I'd like to get the Troll Warship at WM but it's like 85 MSRP, and only clearenced to 20% off... damn, that's only 65.[/quote]

They are big pieces, and LEGO likes make a new boat piece every other year. :)

But yeah I went to Walmart hoping for 50% off, and it wasn't even the normal 20% off like another Walmart I was at. I'm hoping for $40-$50 for the boat, I like all the minifigures.

I started building the big Castle today, awesome set for $50, I wish I got another for $30 because the minifigures along are with $30.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I started building the big Castle today, awesome set for $50, I wish I got another for $30 because the minifigures along are with $30.[/QUOTE]

The Castle Siege is our current build too. The minifigs are great. I love the dragon. There is still left at my WM for $30. If it goes any lower I'll jump on it.

I'm keeping my eye on all the castle sets at WM. The Warship and Dwarves' Mine are $64 and $45. I think once they go under $45 and $30 I'll get them. The Tower Raid appeared today too. It was $25. I wouldn't mind getting that for $15. Only one though, I hope it last.

[quote name='xycury']
search Yahoo, and when you find out a model , click on Specifications [/QUOTE]

Thanks

I caved on the Warship at my local WM, since they had it down to $56. Now I've got 8 Castle sets lined up to build. Hopefully I can get a Medieval Market Village to bump it up to 9. This is gonna be a fun month! :)

[quote name='BlueWingX']I caved on the Warship at my local WM, since they had it down to $56. Now I've got 8 Castle sets lined up to build. Hopefully I can get a Medieval Market Village to bump it up to 9. This is gonna be a fun month! :)[/quote]

Quite a backlog you've got for yourself. I never been backlogged more than 5 sets. Now, I'm now to 1 - the large IJ set.

Not sure if anyone else tried, but I emailed lego to asked about the good wizard coming to the US; I was pretty curious as to why it hadn't and if it ever would. Of course, I got a canned response telling me that the good wizard is not available in the US, but might be in the future. :roll:

Add one to waiting for the Troll Battleship to drop further. I picked up one of each IJ set when they were on clearance, and it's a good thing I did because I don't see too many of them anymore. My backlog right now is the Eiffel Tower and the Green Grocer, so I have enough to build for a while. :)

[quote name='n64ra']Quite a backlog you've got for yourself. I never been backlogged more than 5 sets. Now, I'm now to 1 - the large IJ set.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been trying to make my Lego sets last, so I limit myself to building one of the numbered bags a day. It stretches things out quite a bit. :)

[quote name='BlueWingX']Well, I've been trying to make my Lego sets last, so I limit myself to building one of the numbered bags a day. It stretches things out quite a bit. :)[/quote]

I do that too, I do two bags a day, I really like the numbered bags. :)

I finished the big Castle, it's a nice set besides the stupid tower in the back, that is really badly designed so I redid it.

[quote name='n64ra']^^^ gonna show us a pic of your improvements?[/quote]

Well the improvements are minor, but I think make it look a lot better. I tried to use only pieces from the set, but that didn't work, so I added like 10 common pieces. I'll take a picture later, however it's pretty much the same set without the things sticking out of the middle tower. The bridge connecting it to the other tower and that random thing sticking out the left side I didn't attach. Instead I stuck the big piece with the dark blue roof on top of the tower.

I wish I found another for $30 because the set needs to be a little bigger. I would have a wall between the front towers and the drawbridge. Those front towers have windows and you can't even see them.

My main complaint now that it's finished is because it's not on a baseplate it's very weak when moving around. I like how the older Police station and the hospital are on raised baseplates, however a castle isn't, and Castles are the other thing that ever looks nice on a raised baseplate. :)

[quote name='bigdaddy']My main complaint now that it's finished is because it's not on a baseplate it's very weak when moving around. I like how the older Police station and the hospital are on raised baseplates, however a castle isn't, and Castles are the other thing that ever looks nice on a raised baseplate. :)[/quote]

Speaking of raised baseplates, you just gave me the idea of building the castle on the Temple of Akator baseplate. The footprint's not as big, but I can probably modify it to fit.

[quote name='encendido5']Speaking of raised baseplates, you just gave me the idea of building the castle on the Temple of Akator baseplate. The footprint's not as big, but I can probably modify it to fit.[/quote]

I bet that would look pretty good!

[quote name='n64ra']I bet that would look pretty good![/quote]

Now that I think about it though, the baseplate is pretty small. I could make a mini castle :)

Just finished the Castle Siege and its awesome. The back tower does look weird with the thing sticking out of it. I converted mine to the long version you see on the box. And it is freaking long, close to 3.5 feet. My GF wants to get another set so we can place it on top of our kitchen cabinets.

The king's gold crown doesn't want to stay on his head. It pops right off. Anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried sticking it on the head when the king isn't wearing a cape? Sometimes (most of the time) the cape messes things up.

I found some random LEGOs burried in my mom's basement. A Forestman torso with no arms, a complete Johnny Thunder torso from the desert, and a few small pieces. Then there was my Technic Guy! I thought I had two, but haven't seen either in years. There was also a glued back together yellow Luke keychain, I still have a new one in bag somewhere.

Is the Castle Market available at Toys R Us by any chance? I have some coupons and gift cards to use up there. That is, if it's $100 like it's supposed to be :roll:

[quote name='sophicous']Is the Castle Market available at Toys R Us by any chance? I have some coupons and gift cards to use up there. That is, if it's $100 like it's supposed to be :roll:[/quote]

No, online exclusive.

Hi guys

Is Green Grocer the ultimate "Town" set at the moment, I've been a long time LEGO fan but I'm transitioning into the more expensive sets and trying to figure out which "adult" set will give me the most bang for my buck? On a related note, I noticed in an interview from early 2008 that there was talk of another similarly detailed town building set coming out in 09, have there been any more details on this new upcoming Lego store exclusive? Thanks!

Yes Green Grocer is number one, because of the interior, however Cafe Corner is also nice, but no interior at all.

And the series was supposed to be three buildings, but that will hopefully be expanded, however they is no word yet about the newest set. I can't remember when the Green Grocer was shown, but I think it was later in the year. The Medieval Village is like that series in a way and I think LEGO only wants to release those sets once every several months. We might get a set name at the Toy Fairs next month, but I doubt it because the toy fairs are used to sell LEGOs to stores, and it's an exclusive.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Just like Green Grocer, and Cafe Corner, and Town Plan were when they came out. ;)[/quote]
Ah crap, my g/f just bought the castle town since we thought it was a lego only exclusive. We wanted to wait for Amazon for no tax and free shipping. :( Didn't know these things eventually went to everyone...

Ya, any of their exclusives eventually hit Amazon when they inevitably don't sell well from LEGO.com with their price-gouging shipping.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Ah crap, my g/f just bought the castle town since we thought it was a lego only exclusive. We wanted to wait for Amazon for no tax and free shipping. :( Didn't know these things eventually went to everyone...[/quote]

There is a chance that it won't show up, but many sets do, CC and GG are on Target and Amazon, and maybe even Walmart. So it became "Hard to Find".

However you should know by now that there is free shipping in November from LEGO, so if you weren't in a hurry to get it you can buy it then.

You really just have to watch for "Hard to Find", that's when you know something is about to be discontinued, or when they're selling out of it.

Castle Town should be available throughout the entire year right? I want to wait to pick it up, but I also don't want to miss out on all those pieces for so cheap.

"Hard to find" seems to mean that it's an online exclusive, but to many stores like Amazon and Target and scuh.

I think you are thinknig of "Limited" sets, those sets are only around a little while like the Coast Guard Rig and the Agents sub (Both of which might be $35 at Target), and the IJ4 plane. The Castle set will definitely be around for at least this year.

Space Police.... Umm.... maybe they will grow on my but they remind me of an old Star Wars 2 car chase set. At Least Mars Mission had a futuristic NASA feel to it. This has has a futuristic Agents Speed Racer feel to it. I hoping for more space ships and not space cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddy']However you should know by now that there is free shipping in November from LEGO, so if you weren't in a hurry to get it you can buy it then.[/quote]
Well, there was free shipping last Nov but I've not been buying legos long, so I didn't realize this was common practice.

And she was worried that it would sell out and then we would never get it. Oh well, it's her money. I probably would have waited but she really wanted it (and, well I did too).

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Well, there was free shipping last Nov but I've not been buying legos long, so I didn't realize this was common practice.
[/quote]

Oh yeah they have been doing this years and years.

It used to be you got some free little set if you spent $75, however shipping was cheap/free back then. Then they changed over to $99 and free shipping about 5 years ago, maybe more.

Lego Gripe of the day: Err, really mostly about TRU... and having absolutely NOTHING in stock.

damnit. They had like 40 Kraken attacks... and like 2 ships... they had like 40 SW sets, but 20 easy builder sets, and some Bionicles...

:(

I couldn't use my 5 off 25... nothing worth buying... maybe plates if they weren't 30% marked up!!!!

damnit I hate my TRU.

Is there any way to get rainchecks for sets?

I was hoping to get more Power Miners, or maybe the next set up, which is the $20... it's not too bad, i did like the $10 one. I don't know about the $30 Drill set... ALOT of huge pieces.

Oh! Space police made me drool. Can't wait!

[quote name='lordwow']Gah, I was hoping the new space police would reinvigorate the classic space lines. Ugh.[/quote]
Disappointed so far x2.

[quote name='lordwow']Gah, I was hoping the new space police would reinvigorate the classic space lines. Ugh.[/quote]

Those Space sets were too boring. My problem is that LEGO sets NEED a good guy and a bad guy part in every set they make, that I think it a huge problem.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Those Space sets were too boring. My problem is that LEGO sets NEED a good guy and a bad guy part in every set they make, that I think it a huge problem.[/quote]

Lego wants to sell sets. We're lucky they don't give one piece of a bad guy per set!

I finally hit paydirt with Target Lego clearance. I'll post all the sets and prices today.

[quote name='180husher']I finally hit paydirt with Target Lego clearance. I'll post all the sets and prices today.[/quote]

Please do, the only thing I saw was the 50th anniversary basic set for $28 - 30% off.

In other news, I was reading about people using peroxide to whiten their white pieces, but it makes them brittle. I'm tempted to try this, but don't want to ruin my old pieces. Has anybody here try this?

So I had to go to Winchester, VA for something and stopped at their local Target and Walmart. I don't think they celebrate xmas in Winchester because both stores were immaculately clean and well stocked. I found another Castle Seige and Rogue Shadow at Walmart, and also found Temple Escape and Police Command Center. The Target had most of the newer sets and a bunch of older sets that I knew were going to go on clearance if my store had anything left besides Bionicles. Target clearance is the greatest because they start at 30% - 50% off, but the system eventually marks them down to 75% off whether or not they have inventory on hand to actually resticker. So you can buy sets at any Target and return/rebuy at one that has the 75% off prices in effect. I know one CSR lady who lets me return/rebuy with just the receipts! Worst case, you just return the sets and come back in an hour or so and buy them when they put them back on the shelf. Target also gives you 90 days to return for a refund so you have plenty of time if you get buyer's remorse. I'm going to give the UPC numbers for the sets I bought so you guys can print out UPC codes and scan them at your local stores and check prices. This site can generate UPC codes : http://upcdata.info/.

Set # Name of Set (Theme) Original Price/Price I Paid
UPC #

TARGET

#7622 Race for Stolen Treasure (Indy) $31.79/22.25

#8160 Cruncher Block and Racer X (Speed Racer) $40/27.98

#7645 Crystal Reaper (Mars) $50/34.98

#7644 Hypersonic Spacecraft (Mars) $80/39.98

#6164 Fire and Rescue??? (Kids?) $30/20.98

#7726 Coast Guard Truck w/Boat (City) $44/30.78

#7723 Police Pontoon Plane (City) $40/27.98

#4210 Coast Guard Platform (City) $50/34.98

#6211 Imperial Star Destroyer (SW) $100/69.98

I also saw the $50 Aqua sub, Creator stegasaurus, and SW AT-TE walker all at 30% off...didn't want the sub (kids aren't crazy about Aqua sets) and already had the other two. I bet that $50 SW tank is on clearance too but I haven't seen any since xmas.

WALMART

#7094 King's Castle Siege (Castle) $50-100/30

#7743 Police Command Center (City) $45/35

#7623 Temple Escape (Indy) $60/35

#7672 Rogue Shadow (SW) $49/30

I'm sitting on a couple of extra Walmart sets to see if they go down in price, otherwise I'll probably return them.

Good luck. Now I just have to check once a week to see when the prices drop!

P1120001.jpg

cute pictue 18husher...ahhahaha. your kid must be in heaven. :)

are you sure that the target stuff automatically goes to 75% whether or not the item is in stock?? last year, i saw a lady scanning items into her handheld scanner, and she told me that she had to do that to lower the prices....so i'm confused. but if you're right, then i'm going to target tonight!

thanks for the list and help!

by the way, does anyone know of a good deal to get the police headquarters?? i'm slapping myself in the face for not getting it at toysrus during their bogo 50% off sale...augh. i regret it now. :) hopefully they don't discontinue this set anytime soon.

one last question for anyone that knows....do you think that toysrus will get more stock of the limited edition (sold only there) Indiana Jones Peril in Peru? I'm not sure if I should buy it now off of Lego.com, or wait for Toysrus to have a sale. husband says i MUST get this toy. :)

Peril in Peru might come back to TRU. The set disappeared off LEGO Store for at least 6 weeks, so maybe they made more sets? If you really want it I would order it from LEGO before it's too late.

TRU has a LEGO sale around Easter, that's April 12th this year, so you could wait until then.

aww, great buys on the Mars sets. I wish WM would have something in stock.

I'll check TRU maybe on the weekend, if they don't have anything... call first, well, I could be done till WM restocks.

I was pleasantly surprise by Target today. There is now one side of an aisle dedicated to Legos. Granted it is half full right now but there are tags for everything. Better than the endcap worth of Legos they had the last few weeks.

I also saw the 50th Anniversary set for $28. This was surprising because they were not here before and they appeared on clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back