LEGO Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nearly time for my zombie army to assemble ... god I wish LEGO would make some B-movie sets ... can you imagine it ... LEGO sets with a 1950's horror movie theme ... zombies, werewolves, drive up movie sets, classic cars ... swamp monsters ... it's just such a damn good concept for a series of really cool toys ... at least imo.

[quote name='180husher']"Happy Days" Lego sets...I think you are all alone on this one! I'll take some cars though.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Yeah... It would be nice for the whole zombie monster thing but it doesn't have to really be about 1950s.

I wonder if they would do a Blob...

When the hell is Harry Potter sets coming? I thought they would want to release them close to the movie, the last one, but are they waiting for the final one? Seems silly...

[quote name='etcrane']It's nearly time for my zombie army to assemble ... god I wish LEGO would make some B-movie sets ... can you imagine it ... [/QUOTE]

Yes... yes i can picture it... and so can you! LEGO did that 8 years ago and sadly I didn't buy a single set. :(

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=1380-1
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=1381-1
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=1383-1

I'm pretty sure this set was onsale at some point for $25-$30...
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=1382-1

Such an awesome set, the minifigures are perfect.

Harry Potter sets come out in October. I don't know why, they should come out when the game did. However having three Castle themes this year seems stupid to me anyways.

Didn't they re-release that doctor in one of the mini collection sets of 4? I think i have one of them and it has that mad doctor.

Anyways, the Studio sets were great! Just wish I wasn't a piss poor college student and couldn't afford anything.

The Harry Potter movie comes out in the fall, I'm sure the license dictates the timing of the release. The number of "Castle" type themes is possibly part of the reason they changed to Kingdoms, at least for this year.

[quote name='gunm']The Harry Potter movie comes out in the fall, I'm sure the license dictates the timing of the release. The number of "Castle" type themes is possibly part of the reason they changed to Kingdoms, at least for this year.[/QUOTE]

They changed the name to Kingdoms because LEGO voted last year what they should rename "Castle". I think it would have been smarter if they just released one final wave on Castle Fantasy sets this year, 3-4 of them and then relaunch Kingdoms in 2011 when it's the only castle theme.

I actually managed to pick up Werewolf Ambush last summer at the swap meet NIB.

I found out a few months later that I should have kept it sealed and sold it.

But I'm totally pleased with the werewolf :D

[quote name='bigdaddy']They changed the name to Kingdoms because LEGO voted last year what they should rename "Castle". I think it would have been smarter if they just released one final wave on Castle Fantasy sets this year, 3-4 of them and then relaunch Kingdoms in 2011 when it's the only castle theme.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, they could have fleshed, being punny, out the skeleton army a teeny bit more. Maybe another wagon or outpost, plus a Troll mini outpost, then something like castle set to pair them together.

I wouldn't mind waiting.

Plus there is a castle type in the PoP and HP now...

[quote name='xycury']

Plus there is a castle type in the PoP and HP now...[/QUOTE]

Which is my point, why bother launching a new castle theme when you already have two movie themes with castles? Do some random sets, maybe a castle wall of the small Orcs, a few more dwarfs doing something. Next year there will not be any PoP sets or anymore HP sets so they can do a fresh start then.

Oh well if Kingdoms fail maybe we will get more dwarfs in the future. :lol:

[quote name='bigdaddy']Which is my point, why bother launching a new castle theme when you already have two movie themes with castles? Do some random sets, maybe a castle wall of the small Orcs, a few more dwarfs doing something. Next year there will not be any PoP sets or anymore HP sets so they can do a fresh start then.

Oh well if Kingdoms fail maybe we will get more dwarfs in the future. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah totally agreeing with you.

hmm when is Kingdoms coming?

They should post a freaking timeline somewhere.

[quote name='etcrane']It's nearly time for my zombie army to assemble ... god I wish LEGO would make some B-movie sets ... can you imagine it ... LEGO sets with a 1950's horror movie theme ... zombies, werewolves, drive up movie sets, classic cars ... swamp monsters ... it's just such a damn good concept for a series of really cool toys ... at least imo.[/QUOTE]
There you go E! That can be your MOC for BbtB 2012. I'll let you borrow my werewolves... I have a few. ;)

[quote name='gunm']I don't think TRU was supposed to start selling them that early.[/QUOTE]
Not supposed to? They're known for selling new LEGO sets way ahead of an actual release date. I just want to see 'em for sale already because I want certain sets badly...

[quote name='JAYMATIK'] I just want to see 'em for sale already because I want certain sets badly...[/QUOTE]

Seconded! I'm really looking forward to the new Slave 1 that's coming out.

The new Han Solo frozen in carbonite is SO COOL

[quote name='JAYMATIK']Not supposed to? They're known for selling new LEGO sets way ahead of an actual release date. I just want to see 'em for sale already because I want certain sets badly...[/QUOTE]

It's true they do get stuff in earlier than other non-LEGO retailers, but I don't think they were supposed to let it go this early. At least I believe this is true because something similar happened w/PoP earlier (TRU had preorders up for a bit, them abruptly took them down a couple weeks prior to launch). It's a Disney license and I'm sure there's legal junk that Disney wants TLG to follow.

Yeah TRU I think can release LEGO sets early, they have that deal with LEGO. However Disney needs to give the OK to protect the storyline and such.

So really it's Disney's fault and not TRU for once. :lol:

The new TS Lego sets did arrive in stores with a 5/1 street date sticker plastered on the flaps of the boxes. They made sure these wouldn't get put out early.

Got excited as they added an item to S@H tonight...then saw that it's the new Bionicle DVD for $15, which, I believe, is $3 more than TRU had on release.

And $14 more than it is worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='180husher']Got excited as they added an item to S@H tonight...then saw that it's the new Bionicle DVD for $15, which, I believe, is $3 more than TRU had on release.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

More than TRU, that's just sad!

Lego Technics crane 8047 on clearance at Target for $21 I believe. Their lego section is already filled so some sets are going to have to be clearanced to make room for these POP and TS coming in now.

I believe Emerald Night is going to be discontinued this year, but I'm not sure when. I think after coupon, S@H is a tad cheaper than Target (except for me since Target charges a lot more to ship to where I live).

My local Wal-Mart price cut construct a buzz and constrict a zurg (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7592-1 http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7591-1 ) down to $19 down from $25, plus, as I was asking the employee in the toy department about clearance procedures, I noticed Temple of doom (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7199-1 ) was in the wrong spot, for a lower price ($29.88). Since I know their procedure is to sell you an item at the price that's under it (mind you, only if it's truly in the wrong place, things in 2 places don't count, they go with the correct price in that instance), I convinced the toy dept. employee to vouch for me at it's low - low price :)

If you find an item at Walmart that's mis-priced (even if it's just placed under the wrong signage), they are supposed to honor that price. Maow found a Temple of Doom on the shelf marked $29.88 and convinced the store to sell it to him at that price, even though the product probably didn't scan in at $29.88.

[quote name='ChairmanMaow']My local Wal-Mart price cut construct a buzz and constrict a zurg (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7592-1 http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7591-1 ) down to $19 down from $25, plus, as I was asking the employee in the toy department about clearance procedures, I noticed Temple of doom (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7199-1 ) was in the wrong spot, for a lower price ($29.88). Since I know their procedure is to sell you an item at the price that's under it (mind you, only if it's truly in the wrong place, things in 2 places don't count, they go with the correct price in that instance), I convinced the toy dept. employee to vouch for me at it's low - low price :)[/QUOTE]

wow did they have any more if they did you should pick them up and sell them

[quote name='ChairmanMaow']I'm not that desperate yet :p[/QUOTE]

You should
def
trade
my lol bro really wants that set
I don't want to pay 80 dollars tho I wish this was at my walmart I checked no go.

Anyway has anyone priced matched to walmart buy
one get one 50 percent off if so how did they ring it up just full price
for higher costing Lego? Or what about target? Also how does it ring up at tru online? 25 percent off each or?

[quote name='FadeToOne']BOGOHO lego star wars at TRU... that's kinda rare[/QUOTE]

I was surprised when I seen that. After buying the star wars sets that I want a sale pops up. How unusual:roll:

I wanted to get Dooku's solar sailer and another Arc from the TRU sale, but after shipping and tax, I don't have any savings over MSRP/S@H. This is even after I threw in a couple of small items to get "free" shipping. In my case, they want to charge me almost $30 in shipping fees, so I still have to pay $5 plus tax. In-store is even worse since the markup on the Solar Sailer is $15 instead of just $5 online. No wonder TRU is losing money--they just can't compete with online mail order and Big Box retail.

Man ... whatever happened buy 1, get 1 free sales ... now that would be something to get excited about. Instead I'm left waiting until there's some sort of glitch to make my own sales ;)

[quote name='180husher']There is always a glitch at TRU with BOGO sales...just return the full price item and keep the cheap one.[/QUOTE]

can you do this is you buy in store too ? or just online?

I just scored a X-Wing and a Tie Defender at TRU. Thanks for the heads up guys. Very timely as well since my sons birthday is a couple of weeks away. Special shout out to dansoccerball for the "10 dollars off 50" coupon code as well.

[quote name='illennium']This article is a few years old, but I just came across it and found it interesting.

http://swindlemagazine.com/issue04/block-heads/

Here's one interesting statistic: "By company estimate, boys and girls use LEGO about equally prior to age five in the United States. After their fifth birthdays, for whatever reason we choose to believe, girls comprise only 4% of LEGO users."[/QUOTE]

Definitely believe it. Duplo seems pretty equally aimed at both boys and girls, but outside of Belville, there's not one focused Lego theme for girls. Of course, I'm sure Lego has mostly given up on the 5+ year old girls, and that's why there are few girl-focused themes. I'm guessing Barbie must dominate that age group.

I'm hoping my baby girl will be interested in Lego when she's older. I've been building a better Lego City collection for her, but my Castle, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones collections will be fair game for her as well, if she wants to play with them.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Definitely believe it. Duplo seems pretty equally aimed at both boys and girls, but outside of Belville, there's not one focused Lego theme for girls. Of course, I'm sure Lego has mostly given up on the 5+ year old girls, and that's why there are few girl-focused themes. I'm guessing Barbie must dominate that age group.

I'm hoping my baby girl will be interested in Lego when she's older. I've been building a better Lego City collection for her, but my Castle, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones collections will be fair game for her as well, if she wants to play with them.[/QUOTE]

good points.

I'd say even though Lego is creative, it sparks more of the boyish traits, science and math.

Those aren't strong on the girl side, and with the themes, they aren't really trying for them either.

My wife is a girl ;) and she's liking the Creator houses... I would think that playing house tends to hit a note... plus all the City stuff, though not the other city stuff. Street corner and Town plan is nice, but stuff like Fire and Police, and even Construction and town facilites doesn't fit.

If they had more like beauty shops, cafe's, grocery stores, clothing stores (not $150), pet hospitals or hospitals in general... they might have more of an impact.

Maybe call it City Personalize theme. Something to round out all those boyish themes.

Apologies, totally OT, but that whole "boys are better at (and hence more interested in) science and math than girls" is a myth. Girls tend to do better at academics overall compared to boys. Girls respond well to encouragement, whereas boys tend to need to be given "reality checks". Right now, both my son and daughter really enjoy playing with and building Legos, but I'm sure their interests will change as they grow older.

Back sort of OT, I noticed that TRU.com's 10 off 50 doesn't stack with the general free shipping for over $100 deal that's going on the site right now.

10 years ago I worked at TRU, and back then the store was divided into about 3 equal parts: Boys, Girls and Baby. Back then TRU was really struggling, and a big part of it was that the only girls toys that sold were Barbie. The rest of the stuff in that section would sit there for years until it was marked way down, or it was sent back to the maker. Sure there is occasionally the random "it" thing (back then Spice Girls dolls, now Zhu Zhu Pets), but the failure here is probably not LEGOs, and is just the general inability of anything other than Barbie to sell to little girls.
Oh how I hope my daughter does not follow this statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back