Len Wiseman (Underworld movies) to Direct Gears movie?

A Happy Panda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/gaming/game-cinema/len-wiseman-may-direct-gears-of-war-film-285801.php

If this is true, well, videogame movies will continue to suck. Man. That first Underworld is just....not good.

On other news, anyone else think Batista is THE perfect cast to play Marcus Fenix?

batistaux9.jpg

I agree, Wiseman isnt a bad director. He does over the top action pretty well, and he is familiar with directing for special effect CG. If the script is good, and he is directing...This could be the video game movie we have all been waiting for.

[quote name='nyyanksfan20']Live Free or Die Hard was very good so I wouldn't count out the movie yet.[/QUOTE]

Ehhh.. IMO, very good is not the best description. The film was OK. Some of the action sequences just didn't make sense. The first 3 Die-Hard films, though ridiculous, did have some plausibility attached to their action sequences. But Live Free? Though they were fairly cool, they were a bit too over the top for my taste. But you brought up a good point, I forgot that it was indeed Len Wiseman who directed Live Free or Die Hard, maybe there is hope for Gears.

I was basing my opinions off of the Underworld movies.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']The first 3 Die-Hard films, though ridiculous, did have some plausibility attached to their action sequences. But Live Free? Though they were fairly cool, they were a bit too over the top for my taste.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, but after going back and watching the first three again, I'm a bit more forgiving about Live Free -- the part in Die Hard With a Vengeance where he surfs the dump truck out of the tunnel and in Die Harder where he ejects from the cockpit to get away from some strange grenades with 45 second timers both made me go, "Okay ... I guess Live Free wasn't so far fetched."

As long as whoever wrote the Underworld movies isn't writing the Gears movie, it still has a chance. The direction in Underworld was very styalized, which is exactly what a GoW movie would need.

Hopefully they'll find a good writer. If they do, this movie could be epic.

[quote name='trq']
I hear ya, but after going back and watching the first three again, I'm a bit more forgiving about Live Free -- the part in Die Hard With a Vengeance where he surfs the dump truck out of the tunnel and in Die Harder where he ejects from the cockpit to get away from some strange grenades with 45 second timers both made me go, "Okay ... I guess Live Free wasn't so far fetched."[/QUOTE]

:rofl: I completely forgot about the cockpit ejection scene from Die Harder. And I wouldn't say the dump truck "surfed" per se....it was maybe sorta..."guided" by the waves. Also, the entire fight scene with Maggie Q in Live Free was "WTF?"

I would actually hate if Gears had the same kind of stylized action Underworld has. The Gears world is extremely violent, gritty and dirty. And if you give me a movie with a single cam sequence following Fenix a la Children of Men? Or if you put on some filters like a lot of WWII movies have (Saving Private Ryan for example) That is just bliss. I feel that Children of Men has a lot of the feel that Gears has. That movie has that kind of desperation and militaristic rule of the world that I feel Gears has.

Live Free or Die Hard kicked ass, so I'm sure he wouldn't be too bad of a choice. I actually liked the Underworld movies (well... more like the first one). It wasn't Wiseman's fault that they sucked though.

i agree with the children of men feel. that movie, was fucking awesome. just awesome.
i liked the first underworld, and i think his direction in some scenes is the reason why.
the screenplay has a lot more to do with a gow movie sucking than the director IMO.

Apologies, I mixed up the director. I thought this was the director of the terrible "Ultraviolet" starring Milla Jovavich.

[quote name='Requiem']Apologies, I mixed up the director. I thought this was the director of the terrible "Ultraviolet" starring Milla Jovavich.[/QUOTE]
The guy who directed Ultraviolet could've actually made it a good movie, but the studio screwed him over and made a 120+ minute movie into 90 minutes.

His original version was very violent, but they even edited the sounds out to make it just punch sounds instead of bones breaking. Check out Equilibrium though, that movie he actually made himself.

[quote name='trq']Yeah, the Underworld movies weren't badly directed ... just poorly written.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

And Batista would be perfect, if only his acting didn't completely suck. That and he sounds like a giant pansy.

Honestly, why not just make the movie CGI? I'm tired of all these live-action half assed attempts at re-telling the source material. Why not a side story, set in the same universe? Maybe even a bridging story that leads into Gears 2.

does it really matter

no matter how well the movie is people will nitpick and tear it apart and hate on it

just what most people who play video games a lot tend to do

[quote name='rsigley']does it really matter

no matter how well the movie is people will nitpick and tear it apart and hate on it

just what most people who play video games a lot tend to do[/QUOTE]

Because most video game movies suck? It doesn't help when you have Paul W. Anderson and Uwe Boll at the helm of most of them...

bread's done
Back