Let The Right One In

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I rarely buy Blu rays but I just noticed this was about to come out. Do any of you guys tracking prices know if anyone has a release day sale on it?

Amazon has it for $19.99 but shipping kills it for me.

The Amazon price is the lowest that I've seen.

That movie was amazing. I think it was absolutely robbed of a best foreign film nomination.

It wasn't really robbed. There is a rule that each country can only submit one film to be considered. Sweden submitted something else, for some reason.

It is a tremendous movie. Many critics, like Harry Knowles, thought it was the best movie of last year, which made the Academy Awards kind of a farce, since the movie wasn't even allowed to be in it.

I'm hoping that Wal Mart has it for $19.99, but there has to be someone selling it a little cheaper...

Let The Right One In is fantastic, easily the best foreign film I've seen lately. It's a steal for $20, however I'm not sure visually (or soundwise) it would be needed on bluray over DVD.

Also, I believe Amazon has a $10-off next purchase for any new member to Amazon Prime (free 30 days). It would make it $10, which would be a steal (and youd get the free shipping).

[quote name='honzoh']Let The Right One In is fantastic, easily the best foreign film I've seen lately. It's a steal for $20, however I'm not sure visually (or soundwise) it would be needed on bluray over DVD.

Also, I believe Amazon has a $10-off next purchase for any new member to Amazon Prime (free 30 days). It would make it $10, which would be a steal (and youd get the free shipping).
transparent_pixel.gif

[/QUOTE]

Can I have a different family members sign up for prime and will that work for the $10 off? That makes these deals that are on the teeter totter work for me. :)

... loved it as well. I've only collected about 10 blu rays in about a year but with this, Synecdote NY and Akira having just came out I have bought 3 in two weeks. Woh.

i've heard a lot of hype about this movie.. i can't wait to watch it so i can verbally punch my friends in the face about how crappy twilight the movie was, even tho the book wasn't bad..

You don't need to watch it to punch your friends. This has been declared the "best vampire movie ever" (I'm sure Dracula and Nosferatu fans would disagree though).

I'm pumped for this to arrive in the mail. The trailer gave me goosebumps and, like a good trailer, does not spoil anything while vaguely giving you the gist of the story...pretty much a textbook trailer.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Is there already a thread on this?[/quote]

I started a thread on this, I think he was just asking if anyone has it cheaper and not really reposting the amazon deal.

Yeah I apologize for not seeing the other thread.

For those that haven't seen this movie, don't be thinking it's scary. It's not. It's just a great story and well made movie.

[quote name='honzoh']Let The Right One In is fantastic, easily the best foreign film I've seen lately. It's a steal for $20, however I'm not sure visually (or soundwise) it would be needed on bluray over DVD.
.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this, but at 19.99 (thanks prime!) it isn't worth buying the dvd .

[quote name='coolsteel']I have to agree with this, but at 19.99 (thanks prime!) it isn't worth buying the dvd .
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

Prime really comes into its own on deals like this.

[quote name='Unlizened RAVe']Let The Right One In is 14.86 at Wal-Mart. It won't be in the new releases, but on an endcap of vampire movies.[/quote]

For blu-ray??

[quote name='TheSaint11']Thats still not the cheapest lol :)[/QUOTE]

Of course Wal-Mart isn't.

I picked up the BRD from Amazon for $20.

Picked up the DVD at Wal-mart tonight for $14.86. My very first 100% blind-buy new release movie retail purchase, ever.

It was indeed on a mid-endcap of vampire movies just as Unlizened mentioned. They restocked their supply with a shipment of about 15 copies today, but after Twilight is released and these sell, I highly doubt Wal-mart will ever have it again. At least not B&M and not at this price.

[quote name='ineedanaccount']I heard a rumor about the subtitles being different (see: worse) than the theatrical release. Can anyone confirm/deny?[/quote]

I didnt see it in theater, nor do I know anyone who has. Subtitles worked fine for me.

I had a Borders gift card and I just needed to spend it quick because I never visit Borders and I hate their online site. So I picked up the novel.

I've read the first 10 pages or so and I was wondering if anyone would recommend seeing the film first over reading the book?

I'm afraid the novel will be somewhat flat and ruin what could be a really good movie experience.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I had a Borders gift card and I just needed to spend it quick because I never visit Borders and I hate their online site. So I picked up the novel.

I've read the first 10 pages or so and I was wondering if anyone would recommend seeing the film first over reading the book?

I'm afraid the novel will be somewhat flat and ruin what could be a really good movie experience.[/quote]

Watch the movie first, while they both are pretty much the same story the book goes into a little more detail on things that you might over look in the movie, but are very interesting.

I orignally ordered this on amazon for $20. 3 days passed, and they havent shipped so I cancelled my order online. I went to target, and they didn't have it. Then wal-mart, then blockbuster. No luck. I finally snagged the last copy at best buy. It was $30, but at least I have it now.

[quote name='gameboykid14']Watch the movie first, while they both are pretty much the same story the book goes into a little more detail on things that you might over look in the movie, but are very interesting.[/quote]

So you've read the book?

I'm mostly concerned that there are "shocker" moments (e.g. the infamous bath house fight scene in Eastern Promises) that would be much more impacting on film than they would as being read.

[quote name='ilivas']I orignally ordered this on amazon for $20. 3 days passed, and they havent shipped so I cancelled my order online. I went to target, and they didn't have it. Then wal-mart, then blockbuster. No luck. I finally snagged the last copy at best buy. It was $30, but at least I have it now.[/QUOTE]

I pre-ordered it and it JUST today arrived. For saving the $10+ tax, I will wait for Amazon to fulfill orders (especially shipped free).

I saw the movie in theaters, but I haven't compared the subtitles to see a difference.

My wife read the book and there were plenty of items left from the film (for the better, it appears). There's plenty of subtitle items from the book in there for readers.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']So you've read the book?

I'm mostly concerned that there are "shocker" moments (e.g. the infamous bath house fight scene in Eastern Promises) that would be much more impacting on film than they would as being read.[/quote]

Sorry I guess I got a little lost in trying to stay as vague as possible. Watch the movie first, then read the book, then watch the movie again. The book is kinda like a directors cut of the movie.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']I pre-ordered it and it JUST today arrived. For saving the $10+ tax, I will wait for Amazon to fulfill orders (especially shipped free).

I saw the movie in theaters, but I haven't compared the subtitles to see a difference.

My wife read the book and there were plenty of items left from the film (for the better, it appears). There's plenty of subtitle items from the book in there for readers.[/quote]

I normally would wait, but from all the hype this movie has been getting, my wife, and I couldn't wait to see it.

I ended up picking up the DVD in Wal Mart for $15. I didn't feel like finding $5 filler at Amazon and waiting 5-7 days for the blu ray, and I doubt the quality is THAT much better on this film.

Oh and it gave me warm fuzzies to not give money to the blu ray consortium.

[quote name='gameboykid14']Sorry I guess I got a little lost in trying to stay as vague as possible. Watch the movie first, then read the book, then watch the movie again. The book is kinda like a directors cut of the movie.[/quote]

Ah, yes! Thanks-- you were awkwardly vague. This clears things up much more for me. I'll probably still read the book first since I have it at hand but you've answered my question, good sir.

It seems that the bluray quality won't be that much greater than the DVD and that the extras are nothing special. Any comments, peeps?

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I'm mostly concerned that there are "shocker" moments (e.g. the infamous bath house fight scene in Eastern Promises) that would be much more impacting on film than they would as being read.[/quote]

Worry not: Aragorn's Penis (+3 to sword handling) does not make an appearance in this movie.

Reviewers have stated that watching the movie before reading the book helped them mentally visualize the scenery location/setting of the book better than if they had read it first. That, and it also sounds like some were disappointed in the movie after reading the book first, just like almost every other novel-derived screenplay.

[quote name='Kerig']Worry not: Aragorn's Penis (+3 to sword handling) does not make an appearance in this movie.
[/quote]

It wasn't a problem. It was good to be shocked. That's what Cronenberg does best, really. This day and age we've seen everything that nothing surprises us. The scene was something that could've only worked on film.

[quote name='Kerig']Worry not: Aragorn's Penis (+3 to sword handling) does not make an appearance in this movie.

Reviewers have stated that watching the movie before reading the book helped them mentally visualize the scenery location/setting of the book better than if they had read it first. That, and it also sounds like some were disappointed in the movie after reading the book first, just like almost every other novel-derived screenplay.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I agree with this. There are some items from the book I am glad are not remotely touched on in the movie (the older man, for example as well as the origins of the "girl").

The book is more like a more detailed version of the movie with additional pieces in it. The movie did a good job of sorting out the things that made the book too out there and what we got in return was a really strong film.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Ah, yes! Thanks-- you were awkwardly vague. This clears things up much more for me. I'll probably still read the book first since I have it at hand but you've answered my question, good sir.

It seems that the bluray quality won't be that much greater than the DVD and that the extras are nothing special. Any comments, peeps?[/quote]

dvdtalk gave it it a pretty good rating on video.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36567/let-the-right-one-in/

I personally thought the transfer was excellent and the sound was quite good also but I have only seen the blu-ray so I can't really compare it to its SD counterpart.

Lol, the dubbed track sounds almost comical and totally ruins the movie. Anyone who gets this: BE SURE TO SET THE AUDIO TRACK TO SWEDISH! At least for your first viewing. Since it's an international film that goes without saying, but by default I had it playing the crap dubbed dialog.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Ah, yes! Thanks-- you were awkwardly vague. This clears things up much more for me. I'll probably still read the book first since I have it at hand but you've answered my question, good sir.

It seems that the bluray quality won't be that much greater than the DVD and that the extras are nothing special. Any comments, peeps?[/quote]

I reviewed it about a month ago, its decent quality of blu-ray video terms but nothing spectacular.

Yes the extras are pretty bland, but the low price of $20 is worth a blu-ray purchase.

Watch the movie first. The end of the movie is more powerful if you see it rather than visualizing it through words.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Watch the movie first. The end of the movie is more powerful if you see it rather than visualizing it through words.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I still preferred the book overall. I felt it provided more depth to the characters and added intriguing/demented elements that the film did not touch on (understandable since they had to cut stuff out).

[quote name='Lowkrow']I agree, but I still preferred the book overall. I felt it provided more depth to the characters and added intriguing/demented elements that the film did not touch on (understandable since they had to cut stuff out).[/QUOTE]

I finally sat down and watched the extras on the disc. There is a short making-of featurette which is basically just an interview with the director. He talks about the ending of the movie and ...
...he says that the end is a bit more vague compared to the book. He believes the movie has a happy ending. And to anyone who has seen the movie only (without the book), the ending has sort of a hopeful tone for their future together. However if you know the book, it's kind of, well, not so happy, because you know what lies ahead for Oskar.

[quote name='techstar25']I finally sat down and watched the extras on the disc. There is a short making-of featurette which is basically just an interview with the director. He talks about the ending of the movie and ...
...he says that the end is a bit more vague compared to the book. He believes the movie has a happy ending. And to anyone who has seen the movie only (without the book), the ending has sort of a hopeful tone for their future together. However if you know the book, it's kind of, well, not so happy, because you know what lies ahead for Oskar.
[/quote]

The author has actually written an epilogue. It will appear in a in a book of short stories by him. It clears up some stuff like
he wants to make it clear that Oskars relationship with Eli is not like Hakans, Oskar won't be killing people for Eli, etc..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38839

Can anyone of you guys let me in on what happens to Oskar? I won't be reading the book, but I am interested in the outcome.

[quote name='ilivas']Can anyone of you guys let me in on what happens to Oskar? I won't be reading the book, but I am interested in the outcome.[/quote]

The book ends the same way as the movie. Except there is a small conversation with the ticket guy on the train about how is oskar going to carry such a heavy trunk especially since it will be dark when they get to their stop. Since it is dark though he won't need help carrying it eli will be able to walk :p
It's just the way the tone was some people got the vibe that Oskar was going to be the new Hakan but this isn't the case. It just wasn't made as clear what their relationship was at the end of the book as it was in the ending of the movie, although some people who only saw the movie still got the impression Oskar would be the new hakan.

Huge spoiler also:

eli is a boy. eli is short for elias. he was castrated when he was turned into a vampire.

bread's done
Back