Let the throttling begin: Netflix raising prices almost double in Sept

kklems

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
Update 8 24 11
Just noticed Netflix was started enforcing streaming device limits (ie how many devices at once can stream) Guess this is so they can push their "family plan" is that is rumored

Netflix just announced that they are raising the price of their plans. They are splitting off the streaming and non streaming plans.

Stream only will cost $7.99 with no disc option
DVD only with no stream will be $7.99

Both 1 disc out at a time and stream will be $15.98. More discs out raise price more

edited to add more price
2 disc only $11.99

2disc with stream $19.98
3 disc with stream $24.99
4 Disc with stream $29.99

STAYS THE SAME
1 Disc out (2 max per month) $4.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']HBO Go is coming to consoles at some point.[/QUOTE]

That's not really the same thing though. Consoles would just be another "receiver" for HBO Go, instead of using a PC. No different than the app for iiPhone/Android devices

This is not the same though. In order to use it you have to have an HBO package on top of your cable or satellite bill. If they were able to offer it on it's own that would be great but I doubt cable and satellite providers are going to let that happen without a fight.

I canceled my streaming plan with regret because I just got the app on my phone, but I looked in my history and saw that I actually barely used it. I went to disc only because the whole catalog is there, I can count on the quality, and I don't have to worry to rush and watch something I don't really want to watch just because it's getting ready to expire. I hated the quality of streaming even in supposed HD, hardly anything audio in DD 5.1 and a few times it just didn't work at all including that 6 weeks or so psn was down.

PSA: If you dropped down to a streaming only plan, don't forget to ship back your discs promptly. Once your plan changes take effect you only have 14 days to return any discs before they charge you for keeping them. ($14 for each DVD, $20 for Bluray)

And that'll be the day that I subscribe to HBO. HBO's older shows >>>>> everything on Netflix.

[quote name='Starvin']and a few times it just didn't work at all including that 6 weeks or so psn was down.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it did work when PSN was down. You just had to let it try and fail to log into PSN a couple of times, then Netflix would open fine.

Just got this in my email.

Dear Blk00civicsi,

I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

p.s. I have a slightly longer explanation along with a video posted on our blog, where you can also post comments.

This message was mailed to [] by Netflix.
SRC: 1577.0.US.en-US
Use of the Netflix service and website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
(c) 2011 Netflix, Inc. 100 Winchester Circle, Los Gatos, CA 95032, U.S.A.

Got the Same Email.
Wow. People are so Pissed.
Just click the Link to the BLOG.
They are more upset about the Separation of sites than they are the prices.

I just want My STARZ to continue. But I'm guessing there is No shot at that in February.

I think Netflix is making a smart move here. DVDs aren't going to be around forever but streaming is. It makes sense to separate the businesses so the streaming service doesn't get dragged down when DVDs become obsolete.

The dumb part is doing this and not giving anything back to your customers. No price drop, no major new content, nothing. They should have waited until they signed a a big with someone, and they should have given current members some sort of discount.

This just seems like something they've had planned for awhile, and decided they needed anything to throw to the wolves to appease them, although this won't be it. This doesn't change the pricing of anything, which is why everyone is leaving.

Although I will stay around for the video games now, but that probably only appeases half their consumer base, at best.

Reed Hastings really is out of touch if he thinks this was an apology. Separating the two into different websites is completely retarded, especially when the streaming site no longer tells you if it's available on DVD, and vice-versa. You have to search TWICE now. This is just putting salt on the wound, if anything it makes me feel even worse towards Netflix

Also I wonder how much video games will cost to add

[quote name='kidkash03']This just seems like something they've had planned for awhile, and decided they needed anything to throw to the wolves to appease them, although this won't be it. This doesn't change the pricing of anything, which is why everyone is leaving.

Although I will stay around for the video games now, but that probably only appeases half their consumer base, at best.[/QUOTE]

Video games are an upgrade, which means we'll have to pay an additional fee for the video game option.

[quote name='PohTayToez']I think Netflix is making a smart move here. DVDs aren't going to be around forever but streaming is. It makes sense to separate the businesses so the streaming service doesn't get dragged down when DVDs become obsolete.

The dumb part is doing this and not giving anything back to your customers. No price drop, no major new content, nothing. They should have waited until they signed a a big with someone, and they should have given current members some sort of discount.[/QUOTE]

This. The dvd-by-mail will be heading downhill quickly in the next few years. With the USPS likely to close down hundreds of processing centers, it will begin taking longer to receive discs and lead to even more unhappy customers. Netflix is just trying to distance itself from the eventual fallout. I wouldn't be surprised if this also leads to Netflix selling "qwikster" to BBV down the line and becoming a streaming only service.

I do agree that the way both the price increase and the name change have been handled have been terrible. I just don't think that Netflix really cares if people drop their dvd-by-mail service.

Very interested to see the pricing on the video games, maybe they will add 3D blu-rays as well. If they can deliver me games like they have with DVDs in the past then I will quickly sign back up; however, I am cautiously optimistic, because we could get a 28 day purchase window with games just like the DVDs that will keep me renting from Redbox.

It will be interesting to see what the price is for videogames, if it is like the bluray ($2), then that is going to be a super deal. This is unlikely, but there is still some room to be competitive with gamefly at $15.95/mo.
If they say add $5 for videogames, to put it at 12.99 for 1 movie/game or 16.99 for 2 movies/games a month (which would be the sweetspot) it's still great.
If they add $10/mo for videogames, it would be a nonstarter.

Still, it's surprising how whiny the netflix customer base is. Especially when other media providers, like every single cable company, seems to actively treat their customers badly.

[quote name='vherub']It will be interesting to see what the price is for videogames, if it is like the bluray ($2), then that is going to be a super deal. This is unlikely, but there is still some room to be competitive with gamefly at $15.95/mo.
If they say add $5 for videogames, to put it at 12.99 for 1 movie/game or 16.99 for 2 movies/games a month (which would be the sweetspot) it's still great.
If they add $10/mo for videogames, it would be a nonstarter.

Still, it's surprising how whiny the netflix customer base is. Especially when other media providers, like every single cable company, seems to actively treat their customers badly.[/QUOTE]

Netflix hasn't exactly been treating their customers good lately so I don't know what you're expecting....

People are "whining" because they're seeing signs of Netflix acting like those cable companies. They fear it is only the beginning.

Reed Hastings has lost his mind. Netflix is now facing a serious identity problem, a true crisis. They were never just a DVD and streaming company, they were the place where one went to watch movies.

IMO these changes will further alienate loyal customers.

Just to make sure I've read that e-mail correctly: the price of whatever plan I'm on is not going up, the service is now being split into two different companies, and video games will be an option for the mailing service?

[quote name='Strell']Just to make sure I've read that e-mail correctly: the price of whatever plan I'm on is not going up, the service is now being split into two different companies, and video games will be an option for the mailing service?[/QUOTE]

Yep, there are no pricing changes. Except you'll now receive two separate bills from two different companies. The real issue for some people, myself included, is that you now have to manage two separate queues, which will not be integrated.

This is what I mean by whining-

Netflix has been treating their customers pretty well. They make known beforehand what content cycles in and out of streaming. They have been continually improving the dvd return process by getting the usps to scan on receipt. They have pursued the main home media streamers (xbox/wii/ps3) to provide their service. And when they did have to raise prices they announced well in advance.
Further the increase isn't out of greed, but because the content providers had initially way undervalued content and since has wildly increased the cost of netflix doing business.
I understand consumers want free, basically no one wants to pay for anything ever, and if they do have to pay, they want it to stay that price forever or decrease.
Netflix breaking into 2 entities allows them to negotiate content costs separately, and they are also adding long desired gaming content.

Cable bills increase yearly with no additional content, and no notice.
Electricity bills increase, and you cannot even look up rates. Same with water and gas bills.

I don't think it is a good idea to split the company, and the qwickster name is stupid. But whatever, I don't eat at McDonalds because it's name is stupid, or get riled up because Pepsi sells both Lipton and Tazo iced tea.

Netflix invited 20+ million people to comment about it's business practices. I wish there would be that much participation about American tax policies, for example.

[quote name='kill3r7']Yep, there are no pricing changes. Except you'll now receive two separate bills from two different companies. The real issue for some people, myself included, is that you now have to manage two separate queues, which will not be integrated.[/QUOTE]

Which is ridiculous.

[quote name='joshnorm']Which is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Why is it ridiculous? It seems to me like every company under the sun is trying to integrate their services meanwhile Netflix chooses to do the opposite. Yes, I realize managing two queues is not difficult but there are some inconveniences. For example, now when you add something to your DVD queue you won't be able to see if it's available for streaming.

Hopefully what they do is, you can connect both your accounts together, so in your DVD queue in Qwikster, you get an icon saying this is also available on Netflix streaming. That would eliminate having to check if a DVD is on Netflix and viceversa makes some people happy; and easier to manage both accounts.

Really looking forward to the videogames option. Price, how fast will shipping be, the selection (same release date as retail), will it be in the same queue as the DVD selections, etc?

Netflix is absolutely lost. Splitting the company in two and maintaining the price hikes is their idea of an "apology"?

Netflix's streaming service is about to get hit big-time with the loss of Starz-owned properties. The people who think DVDs are "ghetto now" who are going to get their main entertainment from watching their streaming service are going to have an even lesser selection of titles to choose from (which frankly aren't that impressive either).

The decisions they've made over the last few months is a textbook example of how to not run a company, as evidenced by their falling stock prices and consumers dropping out. There will be more alternatives to Netflix in terms of streaming as time passes so putting all their eggs in that basket, as they are seemingly doing here, is going to end up being another blunder on top of the price hike. Seriously, 5 years from now this company will no longer exist if they go down this current road.

[quote name='prayformojo']Very interested to see the pricing on the video games, maybe they will add 3D blu-rays as well. If they can deliver me games like they have with DVDs in the past then I will quickly sign back up; however, I am cautiously optimistic, because we could get a 28 day purchase window with games just like the DVDs that will keep me renting from Redbox.[/QUOTE]

Redbox has the games there Day 1 (Dead Island, Nicktoons MLB, Deus Ex, Captain America were all there when they were released)

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies." :lol::lol::lol:
I had to LOL at this, before streaming became the primary focus in the last year, this had been the case. But now lots of items such as shout factory DVDs, they will have for a month or two then they will stop offering them and they will only be on streaming.

Now I am really happy I cut ties with streaming as searching twice for titles and managing two queues constantly to check for overlap would have been a pain.

I really have no clue what they are doing, my only explanation is they are pissed that their DVD by mail service is still popular and they are doing their damnedest to kill it and shift customers to their cheaper-to-run streaming only. "
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Qwikster," seriously? If their wasn't a blog post I would almost believe their email had been hacked as it reads like a joke email.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[quote name='kill3r7']Why is it ridiculous? It seems to me like every company under the sun is trying to integrate their services meanwhile Netflix chooses to do the opposite. Yes, I realize managing two queues is not difficult but there are some inconveniences. For example, now when you add something to your DVD queue you won't be able to see if it's available for streaming.[/QUOTE]

Its a feature that was there since day one. Now since they are "apologizing" and splitting the company I have go around and constantly check to see if things become available. Sure is it not at all difficult, but its a waste of time. I don't update my que often and love the fact that if I have something there that has become recently added to stream (Robocop 2 for example) I like seeing it so I can just watch it on my phone or what not. It just doesn't make sense.

[quote name='joshnorm']Redbox has the games there Day 1 (Dead Island, Nicktoons MLB, Deus Ex, Captain America were all there when they were released)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my post was misleading, my point was that if they had a purchase window I would stay with Redbox which does not. Seriously Redbox has been great the past few months.

[quote name='prayformojo']Sorry, my post was misleading, my point was that if they had a purchase window I would stay with Redbox which does not. Seriously Redbox has been great the past few months.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on where you live. We have 3 Redbox's in the community I live in but since it isn't a major city/town we don't get new release games unless someone happens to bring it from a bigger city. We get stuck with Just Dance 2 or Earth Defense Force.

[quote name='joshnorm']Its a feature that was there since day one. Now since they are "apologizing" and splitting the company I have go around and constantly check to see if things become available. Sure is it not at all difficult, but its a waste of time. I don't update my que often and love the fact that if I have something there that has become recently added to stream (Robocop 2 for example) I like seeing it so I can just watch it on my phone or what not. It just doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

I guess we misunderstood each other because we are both saying the same thing. I agree with you.

[quote name='nightmare452']Hopefully what they do is, you can connect both your accounts together, so in your DVD queue in Qwikster, you get an icon saying this is also available on Netflix streaming. That would eliminate having to check if a DVD is on Netflix and viceversa makes some people happy; and easier to manage both accounts.
[/QUOTE]

They already stated you will have to search twice.

I understand people calling Neflix subscribers "whiny," but I think they have the right to be when their most popular plan goes up 60 percent. Now, Netflix is not only asking people to swallow that bitter pill, but also asking them to do more work to keep their two movie entities and queues straight.

This sounds like a pretty crazy idea and somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. When Qwikster struggles, Netflix can claim that DVDs my mail is no longer a viable business practice and shut it down. Maybe that's me being a conspiracy theorist.

Tried calling customer service. They are "experiencing higher then normal call volumes" and to "please try again later". Reed Hastings needs to spruce up his resume.

[quote name='jscme']This. The dvd-by-mail will be heading downhill quickly in the next few years. With the USPS likely to close down hundreds of processing centers, it will begin taking longer to receive discs and lead to even more unhappy customers. Netflix is just trying to distance itself from the eventual fallout. I wouldn't be surprised if this also leads to Netflix selling "qwikster" to BBV down the line and becoming a streaming only service.
[/QUOTE]

While USPS will likely cut back on some processing centers, due to the massive drop in mail vol over the last decade, that shouldn't necessarily have that much impact on throughput, although the loss of Saturday delivery would have an impact. Also given that in most major markets, netflix has a facility reasonably close by and the DVDS are already presorted by zipcode and probably down to carrier route order, most netflix DVDs aren't going through umpteen transfers but probably only one or two before getting to your carrier.

And while DVDs by mail are no longer the growth market they once were, it is still is likely a respectable business. And unlike streaming, it has some significant barriers to entry for any future competitors. If I wanted to start streaming company, all I would need is a big checkbook to buy off the studios and bribe MS, Sony, and Nintendo to put me on their hardware...and boom, I have access to millions of customers overnight (ie, just like Hulu). Starting up a DVD by mail business would take much more effort and time and people. As it is, the competition on the streaming market for content has significantly driven up prices, while if anything, DVD prices have been falling and you don't have to bribe hardware folks to add DVD functionality to their products. This reminds me alot of AOL...Yeah, they eventually lost most of their customers, but once they stopped spending billions on marketing, the dial up business was great cash cow (and apparently still is with many uninformed folks still paying month rates for dial up despite already having a DSL/cable connection). In the future, DVD by mail may not have umpteen millions of customers but there will be a subsection (be it older folks or movie freaks who want the more obscure stuff (criterion, foreign, documentaries, ect) that redbox and streaming aren't likely to cover very well.) who will pay for it.

People are so entitled, i swear. Having to go to 2 websites is a rather ridiculous reason to complain. It's so hard to go to 2 sites and search. I could understand the vitrol over the price increase, and while that wasn't their fault, it was a substantial increase, but people complaining and cancelling over having to do an extra search seems like the epitome of laziness to me.

Any enterprising programmers want to make a program that will allow someone to search both sites with one search and add to queue from the program?

I can understand why Netflix has to do this and I am fine with it. I never really used the DVD portion of the service anyway, but if I can get any game or movie for like $10-12 a month, this might actually be a huge deal and also put pressure on gamefly and blockbuster.

^there will without question be an app that does that fairly quickly after the new site starts. Should have named the DVD company HomeFlix though. (assuming it's not already used.)

Splitting into two companies is the most logical thing. He probably should have split them first, before changing the pricing.

[quote name='dmdragon']People are so entitled, i swear. Having to go to 2 websites is a rather ridiculous reason to complain. It's so hard to go to 2 sites and search.[/QUOTE]

Turning on a TV and flipping through channels manually isn't hard either, but I guarantee you would bitch if your TV didn't come with a remote and they forced you to do that. You're failing to see the point here. People aren't complaining because it's "hard" to use 2 sites, they're complaining because the service just got worse for no good reason. They could split the service in two but fragmenting the selection, search engine, reviews, and community is absolutely retarded and not necessary at all. Calling people "entitled" because of this is stupid.

I'm almost glad they gave me no choice but to cancel the DVD's just so I wouldn't have to deal with this bullshit.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Turning on a TV and flipping through channels manually isn't hard either, but I guarantee you would bitch if your TV didn't come with a remote and they forced you to do that. You're failing to see the point here. People aren't complaining because it's "hard" to use 2 sites, they're complaining because the service just got worse for no good reason. They could split the service in two but fragmenting the selection, search engine, reviews, and community is absolutely retarded and not necessary at all. Calling people "entitled" because of this is stupid.

I'm almost glad they gave me no choice but to cancel the DVD's just so I wouldn't have to deal with this bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Did you just compare getting up every time you want to change the channel on your tv to clicking on an address bar and typing 10 letters, or better yet, clicking a bookmark?

Those 2 are not even remotely the same (no pun intended)

and yes, people are complaining, in this very thread even, that they are upset that they have to "search twice" now to see if it's available in streaming or dvd. So I don't think it is stupid calling that entitled. People seem to think that the company is only there to bend over backwards for them, that somehow they are not in it for the money or the business.

Bottom line is that it is about the money, and a company is going to do what it has to do to stay afloat. We don't know his exact reasons for splitting this, to you it may sound pointless and unnecessary, but I'm sure he had a very good reason to do it. I'm sure he didn't just wake up one day and decide this for no reason at all.

Also, how can you presume that it is worse? We don't know the plans that are coming of this. We don't know why they are doing this, and it could be for a good reason. Perhaps they get taxed less if they split it and they can someday lower the price of the dvd plans because of that. Maybe the studios said that if they split it and went just streaming that they would get more streaming content. He does not owe us an explanation, nor should we just assume that this is being done to annoy people, I think it's quite the opposite. Good or bad, he didn't just do this because "He's a big meanie"

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I can understand why Netflix has to do this and I am fine with it. I never really used the DVD portion of the service anyway, but if I can get any game or movie for like $10-12 a month, this might actually be a huge deal and also put pressure on gamefly and blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster has lowered their one out plan with unlimited instore for games and movies to 15 a month. it is 7.99 your first month and 15 each thereafter. You sign up in store and then you can get as many movies/games you want a month for that 15 with 1 out at a time, keeping them as long as you want.

Personally I now use them for my movies and games.

[quote name='dmdragon']People are so entitled, i swear. Having to go to 2 websites is a rather ridiculous reason to complain.[/QUOTE]

Its a feature that netflix users have always had that is now being taken away . That is the main reason for the complaints and its justified. Sure it makes it easier for netflix to eventually sell off the dvd aspect of the company but as a customer that's not our concern or what we paid for. They could have kept it on one site but thinking long term for a transition have changed it up now.

Some people have been with netflix for a long time and don't see the need to go back and forth between a sister site to get the same services they have been getting for years.

[quote name='dmdragon']
Bottom line is that it is about the money, and a company is going to do what it has to do to stay afloat. We don't know his exact reasons for splitting this, to you it may sound pointless and unnecessary, but I'm sure he had a very good reason to do it. I'm sure he didn't just wake up one day and decide this for no reason at all.

Also, how can you presume that it is worse? We don't know the plans that are coming of this. We don't know why they are doing this, and it could be for a good reason. Perhaps they get taxed less if they split it and they can someday lower the price of the dvd plans because of that. Maybe the studios said that if they split it and went just streaming that they would get more streaming content. He does not owe us an explanation, nor should we just assume that this is being done to annoy people, I think it's quite the opposite. Good or bad, he didn't just do this because "He's a big meanie"[/QUOTE]

Yes it most likely is dealt with taxes but I am one of those that believe that this is the start to eventually kill off the DVD portion altogether.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']I get a website error when I try to cancel my Netflix subscription on their website.[/quote]
They already lost 600,000 subscribers. They have hit their quota; thus your denial ;)

[quote name='dmdragon']Did you just compare getting up every time you want to change the channel on your tv to clicking on an address bar and typing 10 letters, or better yet, clicking a bookmark?

Those 2 are not even remotely the same (no pun intended)

and yes, people are complaining, in this very thread even, that they are upset that they have to "search twice" now to see if it's available in streaming or dvd. So I don't think it is stupid calling that entitled. People seem to think that the company is only there to bend over backwards for them, that somehow they are not in it for the money or the business.

Also, how can you presume that it is worse? We don't know the plans that are coming of this. We don't know why they are doing this, and it could be for a good reason. Perhaps they get taxed less if they split it and they can someday lower the price of the dvd plans because of that. Maybe the studios said that if they split it and went just streaming that they would get more streaming content. He does not owe us an explanation, nor should we just assume that this is being done to annoy people, I think it's quite the opposite. Good or bad, he didn't just do this because "He's a big meanie"[/QUOTE]

You also failed to get my TV:remote analogy I see. It was quite simple, I don't know why on earth you'd take it as a literal 1:1.. The point is, it's a pointless change that makes something worse than it was before. How can I assume it's worse? Uh, How would, for example, having to search for a movie twice instead one service suggesting it's available to the other be considered an improvement? If you have both services, having to go to different sites, post reviews twice and any other number of changes is worse, no matter how you attempt to defend that.

I guarantee right now if you polled customers who still subscribe to both, an overwhelming majority (I'd say over 80% easily) would say they'd prefer using a single website for both services than using two different and independent ones. Think about that, and then really question how this is an improvement at all for customers. Question whether the current setup is hurting any customers right now, I'm positive most people are fine with how it is.

If you think this will eventually lead to any sort of price drops you're on crack. What's more likely happen is one of two things. 1.) Qwikster will be short lived and they'll can their mailing service altogether or 2.) They'll sell it off to another company like Blockbuster or someone

I just dropped my streaming option yesterday. Sucks they are splitting the service as I can see the convience aspect is now gone.

I like the streaming aspect, but until streaming can get movies the same time as the DISC option, I will not use it. 95% of my rentals are new releases anyways.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You also failed to get my TV: remote analogy I see. It was quite simple, I don't know why on earth you'd take it as a literal 1:1.. The point is, it's a pointless change that makes something worse than it was before. How can I assume it's worse? Uh, How would, for example, having to search for a movie twice instead one service suggesting it's available to the other be considered an improvement? If you have both services, having to go to different sites, post reviews twice and any other number of changes is worse, no matter how you attempt to defend that.

I guarantee right now if you polled customers who still subscribe to both, an overwhelming majority (I'd say over 80% easily) would say they'd prefer using a single website for both services than using two different and independent ones. Think about that, and then really question how this is an improvement at all for customers.

If you think they're going to lower the plans because of this move you're smoking some good crack[/QUOTE]

You are directly looking at the short term only. I never said that this particular change doesn't make it a bit more difficult. The change MAY have been made to make OTHER things better in the future, we don't know yet. IF it stays the exact same after awhile and it is 2 separate sites then yes, complain, but to complain already just after hearing about the change to see what it might entail is just ludicrous and jumping the gun. Would you give up the searching on one site if they lowered the price to 5.99 a month for dvd's? I bet you would, and frankly we don't know if that would happen. Don't even say that this is speculation as getting mad before knowing what the future holds is speculation also.

I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt instead of instantly running around screaming that the world is ending when something like this happens. Give it some time to actually be implemented and worked with before complaining.

and no shit 80% would RATHER it be combined, but will 80% cancel because of it? No, likely they will lose less than 10% of their base from this.

When the CEO even realizes how stupid it is to have to search twice, you know this wasn't thought out very well

Picture-44.png

[quote name='dmdragon']You are directly looking at the short term only. I never said that this particular change doesn't make it a bit more difficult. The change MAY have been made to make OTHER things better in the future, we don't know yet. IF it stays the exact same after awhile and it is 2 separate sites then yes, complain, but to complain already just after hearing about the change to see what it might entail is just ludicrous and jumping the gun. Would you give up the searching on one site if they lowered the price to 5.99 a month for dvd's? I bet you would, and frankly we don't know if that would happen. Don't even say that this is speculation as getting mad before knowing what the future holds is speculation also.

I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt instead of instantly running around screaming that the world is ending when something like this happens. Give it some time to actually be implemented and worked with before complaining.

and no shit 80% would RATHER it be combined, but will 80% cancel because of it? No, likely they will lose less than 10% of their base from this.[/QUOTE]

Why should I give a shit whether they lose 80% or just 10% of their base? I'm a CONSUMER in this scenario, not an investor, and I'm pissed about what I know is a worse change of service. You're giving the benefit of a doubt based on what you hope the future will bring, and frankly you're fucking naive. I mean, you even mentioned the possibility of them lowering rates because they may get taxed less now. Dude, how naive can you be? The bottom line is, based on the information provided by Reed Hastings the service in it's current form will become worse for customers.. Will it be worse forever? no consumer is saying it will, but you can't expect consumers to hang on to a company that has done nothing but shit on them for the past few months, and still give them the benefit of the doubt. We're long past that optimistic stage now.

I know you said you subscribe to BBV, but your posts make you sound like your sucking on Netflix's teat really hard

Right, this is similar to when they tried to get rid of sub-accounts. Plus for them because then you'd have to have multiple subscriptions to the same household to perform the same function (individual queues), minus for the customer because you can't take advantage of better pricing per disc for more discs-at-a-time plans if you want individual queues, though they eventually backed off of that due to INSANE outrage.

To think of all the grief they likely would have avoided if they simply offered a $1 or $2 discount for a streaming and DVD bundle plan when they announced the increase back in July.

bread's done
Back