Let's discuss something crazy: A found starship.

fatherofcaitlyn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
Let's pretend a starship was found in the solar system.

It doesn't have to be any place specific or within this generation's reach or even active.

It could be refueling using the Helium-3 of the solar wind or just a rusting hulk drifting through the solar system or orbiting a planet or moon.

So...

How does this affect religion, technology, art or anything else?

[quote name='thrustbucket']You mean this starship?

I was recently reminded about it from a new finding in the scientific news.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw that this morning. Of course, the idea of a spaceship refueling itself in our midst is a story idea I've had bouncing in my head for a few months. I've been very busy ignoring my CCNP books to write it down.

EDIT: Anyways, how would something clearly alien and artificial change the world?

[quote name='thrustbucket']You should write it down. It will pay off more in the long run. :)[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The concentration camps will need their surveillance systems networked.

I'm hoping the CCNP will get my foot in the door. If it does, I'm already seeing jobs that pay twice what I make now with a few years of experience.

Back on topic, how does religion fare if the alien ship or technology indicates there is or isn't a god?

It depends on the religion. I think several religions will really love it.

I really don't buy into the notion that religions would collapse with the introduction of ET's. I am sure a few would struggle, but not many. I think most religions are pretty mailable to such a discovery.

Steve Jobs will get hold of the technology and the iPhone 5 will be insane.

Oh and Scientologists will cream their pants.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It depends on the religion. I think several religions will really love it.

I really don't buy into the notion that religions would collapse with the introduction of ET's. I am sure a few would struggle, but not many. I think most religions are pretty mailable to such a discovery.[/QUOTE]

Christianity would take a huge hit with the whole "made in God's image" bit.

Read Sagan's novel "Contact" for a good idea of what would happen.. Yes there was a movie based on it, but it didn't capture much of what he meant to convey about humanity's reaction to it.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Christianity would take a huge hit with the whole "made in God's image" bit.[/QUOTE]

Well that largely depends on who or what steps off the ship.

Even still, it's easy to explain stark differences in appearance with space friends as them being highly evolved animals, etc.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Christianity would take a huge hit with the whole "made in God's image" bit.[/QUOTE]

How so? God created all kinds of creatures, but created "man" in his own image. Nothing says other creatures could not be made in his image (if they are humanoid).

At the point you believe one creature to be powerful enough to create the entire universe, if he wants to put intelligent life on other planets that looks like him (or doesn't look like him), I think that part is pretty easy to explain.

I dunno that it would affect religions generally. Certainly it wouldn't matter to an abstract belief in the supernatural/gods, but any specifics in a religion that it may contradict will be reinterpreted/dropped/de-emphasized, basically, just as they've always been. Some religious people themselves might stop subscribing to some particular doctrine, but I don't think it would kill the doctrines themselves.

In UFO lore there is a supposed device that the aliens brought back in the 50's called "the looking glass". Supposedly it was a cube of sorts that acted like a record/playback device. Supposedly they used the device to show some of our leaders specific events in human history that had to do with religion and showed proof that they were behind them.

Now if something like that were to really happen on a public scale, then I could see religions going apeshit.

[quote name='thrustbucket']In UFO lore there is a supposed device that the aliens brought back in the 50's called "the looking glass". Supposedly it was a cube of sorts that acted like a record/playback device. Supposedly they used the device to show some of our leaders specific events in human history that had to do with religion and showed proof that they were behind them.

Now if something like that were to really happen on a public scale, then I could see religions going apeshit.[/QUOTE]

How do you prove something like that, though?

I mean, if you have light-speed star ships, I would assume you can create a realistic looking video of someone from your species with a mega phone telling Abraham to kill his son.

[quote name='UncleBob']How do you prove something like that, though?

I mean, if you have light-speed star ships, I would assume you can create a realistic looking video of someone from your species with a mega phone telling Abraham to kill his son.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't think it would work, at least not for everybody.

Look at Mormons, just for an easy example, how many of them believe their narrative about a certain number of Jews traveling to America? Our current technology can already show that didn't happen. And that's not to mention certain anachronisms (though they can often be explained away).

Sometimes it just doesn't matter. It actually fits well with that other thread about facts not changing minds...

I dont think it would be as bad as you think. Just look at the fact that Christians disregard the fact that the bible says the Earth is only a few thousand years old and that we all came from Adam and Eve. Or look at how Jesus if he existed would have been middle eastern yet he is always portrayed as white, or how it has pretty much been shown Christ could not have been born in December and the holiday was just created to counteract Pagan holidays.

Christians and most religious people in general are willing to completely ignore facts or contradictions to their scriptures in order to maintain belief.

[quote name='SpazX']Yeah I don't think it would work, at least not for everybody.

Look at Mormons, just for an easy example, how many of them believe their narrative about a certain number of Jews traveling to America? Our current technology can already show that didn't happen. And that's not to mention certain anachronisms (though they can often be explained away).

Sometimes it just doesn't matter. It actually fits well with that other thread about facts not changing minds...[/QUOTE]
I just watched some special recently on the History Channel about alternative theories of early Native Americans. There was this tribe (I use the term tribe loosely) of people who believed that they were the descendants of early Jewish settlers in America. Despite having their DNA tested and no evidence of any connection being found, they ignored the lack of evidence and continue believing they are descendants of early Jewish settlers. Kinda ties back to that other thread about facts not really changing anyone's mind.

All right. Some people will keep on thinking the world is only 6000 years old and a flat disc even if something or someone has proof neither are true.

How about technology?

Would we sacrifice elective wars or welfare to get to the ship faster to secure it?

[quote name='UncleBob']How do you prove something like that, though?

I mean, if you have light-speed star ships, I would assume you can create a realistic looking video of someone from your species with a mega phone telling Abraham to kill his son.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Thats why there would be an uproar. There would not be legions of believers suddenly lose faith (much to the dismay of many Atheists), there would instead be a bunch of Atheists pointing and laughing about 'proof' they are wrong. Meanwhile the religious would assume stuff like you describe.

[quote name='SpazX']Yeah I don't think it would work, at least not for everybody.

[/QUOTE]
From the information and articles that have been coming out in the past few years, it seems to me that pre-columbian - post-landbridge visitation to the Americas from other continents is not only seen as possible but probable.
Can you elaborate on the technology and the evidence it provides that you are talking about?

[quote name='Clak']I just watched some special recently on the History Channel about alternative theories of early Native Americans. There was this tribe (I use the term tribe loosely) of people who believed that they were the descendants of early Jewish settlers in America. Despite having their DNA tested and no evidence of any connection being found, they ignored the lack of evidence and continue believing they are descendants of early Jewish settlers. Kinda ties back to that other thread about facts not really changing anyone's mind.[/QUOTE]

I saw that. I thought that show was laughable. Especially when nobody can decide what biological Judaism is, or if it really exists.

[quote name='thrustbucket']
From the information and articles that have been coming out in the past few years, it seems to me that pre-columbian - post-landbridge visitation to the Americas from other continents is not only seen as possible but probable.
Can you elaborate on the technology and the evidence it provides that you are talking about?[/QUOTE]

Visitation from the middle east to north america? And the technology? I mean archaeology mostly, and what has been done as far as mitochondrial DNA doesn't fit with the narrative either. Ignoring the anachronisms, if they came everything they touched must have evaporated.

As long as the ship contained robots from a planet named Cybertron I would be happy.;) Mind ya, it wouldn't change any of my opinions about anything, since I've always believed there has to be other intelligent civilizations out there amongst the stars.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']How about technology?

Would we sacrifice elective wars or welfare to get to the ship faster to secure it?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you call "elective" wars.

I would expect a race to build a ship (or other technology) capable of reaching, inspecting, etc. the distant vessel. Part of this would consist of spies, treaties, broken treaties, protests from those in countries that don't have the technology (thus won't potentially receive any benefits from whatever is found on the vessel), protests from those in countries that don't believe in the costs associated with R&D (and it would be costly)...

Now, if this were a movie, all kinds of s*** would go down, but, eventually, a group of good-hearted people would reach the ship, find the secrets to life and world peace inside and return home where everyone would live in bliss...

...until giant aliens burst from the chests of the initial group that first entered the ship.

bread's done
Back