Lets play a game: find the bootleg

DarkRider23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Sometimes, you just gotta love Gamestop.com. During the B1G1 frenzy, I went nuts and ordered a ton of games.

4x Tetris DS just so happened to be some of the games I ordered.

I'm now leaving it to you CAGs; which ones are bootlegs? I tested them all out on a DSi and only one worked. Lets see who has a keen eye.
imgp2090.jpg

imgp2091.jpg

The manager at the store where I returned these was pretty cool about it though. Got a return done with no hassle :). And I want to say I'm surprised that GS has this many bootlegs floating around, but I'm really not surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xycury']you take awful pics.

And I could only pick it out... from the 2nd pic, the 4th one, bottom right is the real one.

can't tell from the first one, but I would guess the one without the E and NG logo?[/QUOTE]

Photobucket's downsizing kind of screwed the pics up. I'll upload them elsewhere. Give me a minute.

Serves you right for hoarding!

/Bitter CAG who missed out on sale.

But in all seriousness, that's kind of scary to imagine how many DS bootlegs they might actually have in their possession. Other people who find themselves in this same situation with GameStop might not have the same luck you had if they tried returning a few bootlegs. Good that you got your money back with no problems, though!

[quote name='[email protected]']I'm gonna say bottom right is the legit one, at least in the 2nd pic...[/QUOTE]

That's my vote too. That's the only one whose edge and contacts look right.

Edit: On second though, none of them actually look right after pulling and examining 30+ games off my shelf. I'm not sure what the front of Tetris looks like, but looking at the second pic only:

Top left looks wrong (being able to see the traces, the texture looks off, and the numbers aren't printed in the right position)
Top right looks wrong (the colors of the contacts and board both look off, unless it's the lighting difference)
Bottom left looks wrong (trace, texture, no serial number, embossed letters look different)
Bottom right looks wrong (corner's angled instead of rounded)

Judging by only the first picture, the top right one looks like the right one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crr_1119']Serves you right for hoarding!
[/QUOTE]

I am what I am. Hoarding is really the only way you'll get a complete copy of any game that's not guaranteed. I did want Tetris DS to play and I figured I could sell off the extras, but that didn't work.

Hopefully, CAGs remember that used Gamestop DS games aren't always real. I've seen plenty of fake DS games in store as well. The most prominent around here is GTA: Chinatown Wars. I see at least 1 or 2 per store and even if I tell the manager, they just look at me like I'm crazy.

And the answer:
The bottom right one is the only real one. The two on the left have obviously fake cover art. The top right one is a pretty good fake, but the blocks are not in the right position and there is also text that says "Licensed by" right above the oval Nintendo logo. As far as I know, no games have that text above the Nintendo logo.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I am what I am. Hoarding is really the only way you'll get a complete copy of any game that's not guaranteed. I did want Tetris DS to play and I figured I could sell off the extras, but that didn't work.

Hopefully, CAGs remember that used Gamestop DS games aren't always real. I've seen plenty of fake DS games in store as well. The most prominent around here is GTA: Chinatown Wars. I see at least 1 or 2 per store and even if I tell the manager, they just look at me like I'm crazy.

And the answer:
The bottom right one is the only real one. The two on the left have obviously fake cover art. The top right one is a pretty good fake, but the blocks are not in the right position and there is also text that says "Licensed by" right above the oval Nintendo logo. As far as I know, no games have that text above the Nintendo logo.
[/QUOTE]

Last weekend I picked up a near mint used copy of Final Fantast IV DS. I made some comment about being worried about it being a bootleg and my friends looked at me like I was nuts. Most people just aren't aware of how rampant DS bootlegs have become.

Tetris DS looks like a commonly pirated game. I just bought a copy of Pokemon Pearl from a seller on ebay. It was bootleg (and oh so obviously at that, it was so blatant). I think the seller knew it too according to feedback(most of the positives were probably unknowing parents because they would always mention their kid in the feedback).

Anyway, the seller only ever sold 3 games in most of their recent history.
-Pokemon Diamond
-Pokemon Pearl
-Tetris DS

When I messaged him about it, he refunded my whole payment saying sorry and I don't have to return the item. Sounds like he's guilty.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I am what I am. Hoarding is really the only way you'll get a complete copy of any game that's not guaranteed. I did want Tetris DS to play and I figured I could sell off the extras, but that didn't work.

And the answer:
[/QUOTE]

I was just kidding about the hoarding part. :razz:

And yea CAGs most likely will be able to find out if their copy is legit or not, but I imagine there are lots of parents or older relatives of kids who might pick up a game as a gift and not even think to check for this sort of thing. It's a shame GameStop employees don't pay more attention to these to make sure bootlegs don't end up among their stock of games.

haha i got some of the stuff i ordered from the b1g1 and one of them was pokemon platinum.
it was in the big clear case
insert didn't fit right
game was splitting at the seam
label on game was wrong color
took it to gamestop, and was told "wow this is a pretty good copy" which really concerns me

also idk what it means but gs barcode label on the back had a big R on it next to the barcode

Does this happen a lot with PSP games also?

I might have to check that KH DS game I got during GS B1G1. My sister is playing it fine though, but I'll check anyway.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Does this happen a lot with PSP games also?

I might have to check that KH DS game I got during GS B1G1. My sister is playing it fine though, but I'll check anyway.[/QUOTE]

so far there is no psp bootleg

Without looking at any responses...bottom right in picture #1 is legit? The others have various problems - edge of label too rounded, label is wrong, weird cut to label etc.

Second pic...top right? the Nintendo logo looks to be in the right spot. So do I win a bootleg???

I don't pretend to know much about DS bootlegs, but geez, the Mario stuff in the background is kind of a dead giveaway. These guys aren't even trying. And what's worse is that people buy them and probably don't even notice it. Then, they trade them into GameStop, and they don't notice it, either.

I've never seen bootlegged DS games up close (that I've realized at least), but I have seen quite a few Pokemon GBA bootlegs in my time. Especially of Ruby and Firered.

This thread prompted me to look over my DS collection for signs of bootlegs. As expected, all seem legit- oddly enough, I haven't bought a used DS game in over a year, so I think I missed the 'big influx' there.

I did, however, end up finding the copy of Puzzle Fighter for GBA I lost several years back in one of the cases. I replaced it last year, so now I'm not too sure what to do with the second copy... but I'm happy I can now say I didn't lose it, I only misplaced it. :lol:

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I've never seen bootlegged DS games up close (that I've realized at least), but I have seen quite a few Pokemon GBA bootlegs in my time. Especially of Ruby and Firered.[/QUOTE]

Those two are still huge bootlegs, mainly because of the price they demand on eBay. It's good money for the bootleggers.

bread's done
Back