License Transfer from OLD 360 to NEW Slim Question?

Ronzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I want to tap my fellow CAG's about transferring my license from an Old Xbox360 to the New Slim.

I'm getting a slightly used Xbox360 Slim from Craigslist (4GB model) and he's used it and has a gamertag attached to it. He's going to wipe the drive before I get it though.

I'm planning on using my old 360 HDD in the new SLIM by taking it apart and inserting it bare bones into the SLIM. It appears that this is possible based on some youtube vids showing others being able to do it.

My question is, when I do a license transfer through xbox live to the new console, should the old xbox360 HDD be already inserted into the NEW machine OR should I do the license transfer first, and then once it's transferred, attach the old xbox360 HDD?

Also, does it matter how many gamertags have been attached to a console? Is there a limit? I know you can only transfer licenses once every 12 months, but not sure about GT's.

I hope you can understand what I'm saying and it's not too confusing. Any help, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Thanks.

Surprised no one answered this yet.

You can transfer the HDD from the old box to the new one with no problem. When you do the license transfer all you're doing is telling the service that the new box is now your primary box for all of the content you bought. Keep in mind, though, that the process is a 2 step one where you'll be telling the website that the slim is the new box and you'll have to download everything again to confirm the license. Since the old HDD is there, the process will be quick but it will still be a while if you have tons of content (i.e. tons of Rock Band songs).

As for your Gamertags, there is no limit to how many can be attached to a console. There has never been a time where a console will outright refuse the creation of a tag. If there was, there would be a ton of news about it already.

Thanks for the help Dumlaox :applause:. I ended up doing the license transfer without any HDD attached. Once I finished that, I inserted the old HDD and it picked it up no problem.

Recovered my Gamertag, and all my gamesaves, data, etc from the HDD. Didn't actually have to download anything AFAIK. Pretty smooth. Thanks for the help/info though. :D

[quote name='timesplitt']and here i thought that the OLD HDD was incompatible with the slim[/QUOTE]

its not because at the end they are both HDD. Its just the enclosures are completely different. I heard if you do the HDD barebones and mess it up, it voids your warranty on your new XBOX because your tampering with it. I think its in the ToS.

otherwise yeah, as the other CAG said, your just basically telling MS that this is your xbox now when you do the data transfer.

Never worked for me, I did the license transfer to my new slim and every time I try to download I still get its assigned to other consoles. It will let me download it no problem but I have no idea why it keeps saying this. xbox.com says I can only do it once a year so I just have 2 live with it I guess

bread's done
Back