Liek, teh G0ldenEye is onl1ne!1!!1!1

Well, it can't be much worse than Goldeneye source is.
But I'll pass, I'll still play Goldeneye on my n64 every now and then. It's still fun.

[quote name='PINKO']this game hasn't age well[/QUOTE]

I call it the "5th Generation Curse". Among collectors the name has actually caught on. I created a buzzword. Very proud.

Playstation 1, Saturn, and Nintendo 64 games just do not seem to age well at all. It affects 90% of the 3D games for those machines. The first gen 3D stuff just does not hold up today because of the foggy graphics, bad frame rates, popup, pointy polygons, and slowdown.

It's a phenomenon almost entirely unique to the 5th Generation machines. In previous generations, the gameplay holds up despite the visuals and hardware being outdated. Because the graphics and gameplay are so important to the gameplay experience of 3D games, their playability is effected. A game like Goldeneye was cutting edge for the time, so much so that nobody noticed how extremely poor the graphics were. The slowdown especially. Compared to modern games, Goldeneye is practically unplayable beause of the popup and the slowdown.

There are better examples then Goldeneye. The best one (or the worst if you will) is Pilotwings 64. It's gone from being a classic to being completely unplayable. The frame rate crawls at what feels (if not is) less then 6 frames a second. It's amazing that it was a game I once considered one of the best games ever. On the Playstation, there's Colony Wars. On the Saturn, there's Nights. On the N64, almost the enitre lineup from top to bottom is effected to a degree that makes me sad. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Turok, all the Mario Party games, Mario Kart... even the two Zelda games. In researching this, I found out that games I wondered how anyone could skip today could be included in any great game list. Blast Corps is unplayable. Banjo Tooie. A couple survived. Mario 64 still holds up well, as does Tetrisphere (which is sort of a 2D game). WWF Wrestlemania 2000 does but No Mercy is plagued by terrible slowdown.

Of course, games from other generations have been effected. Donkey Kong Country doesn't hold up well today. Most Atari games do not. Some NES games do not. It's the volume of games from the 5th Generation, again, 90% or more of the 3D games, that makes the generation cursed. I'm actually writing an article on it that I'm going to shop around to some video game magizines explaining why it's so noticable. I was inspired to do so when working at EB Games and hearing people complain that Mario Kart 64 wasn't as fun on the Wii as it used to be on the N64. I'm even going to put a focus group together to prove it. It's going to be very cool.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Banjo[/quote]

I actually think (I've never been a fan of the game really) that Banjo Kazooie aged pretty well for a Nintendo 64 game. Diddy Kong Racing as well. I've played both recently and while games like Shadows of the Empire and Pilotwings look/play like garbage, these do not.

[quote name='musha666']Still more fun then Halo.[/quote]

The weapon variety is better in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, and PD has awesome bots, but from a purely gameplay standpoint I disagree.

Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE GE and PD on the N64. Me and my friends played the hell out of it. Too bad dual analog wasn't around then because it would have aged much better.

[quote name='willardhaven']I actually think (I've never been a fan of the game really) that Banjo Kazooie aged pretty well for a Nintendo 64 game. Diddy Kong Racing as well. I've played both recently and while games like Shadows of the Empire and Pilotwings look/play like garbage, these do not.[/quote]

I agree...specaially with the whole banjo thing (I've been playing it and its sooo good)

Yeah, Banjo, Donkey Kong 64, Mario Party, Pokemon Stadium and Snap, Tetrisphere, and Paper Mario have aged well just like Super Mario 64. The one game that I could not replay that I loved so much growing up was Rocket: Robot on Wheels.

Games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Star Fox 64 or Wave Race have not aged as well, but the gameplay is rock solid and makes up for the 11 year old graphics.

Replaying a lot of n64 games recently I have now noticed how foggy a lot of these games were, especially arcade racers like Crus'n USA, SF Rush and California Speed.

To improve the graphics on your n64 games, use S-Video. Textures will appear sharper than AV Cables or with an RF adapter.

I know what you mean by games not aging well. Even in the 5th gen of games, I could not stand Playstation games. The rough pixelated look that affects almost all Playstation games was the main reason I never bought a Playstation.

Most Atari games do not
If Activision Anthology is any proof, a lot of Atari games have some great addicting gameplay. Definitely check out the GBA version of Activision Anthology. It has huge replay values. It is probably my favorite retro collection of games.

[quote name='4tygames']

Games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Star Fox 64 or Wave Race have not aged as well, but the gameplay is rock solid and makes up for the 11 year old graphics.

Replaying a lot of n64 games recently I have now noticed how foggy a lot of these games were, especially arcade racers like Crus'n USA, SF Rush and California Speed.

[/QUOTE]

I seriously think Goldeneye and especially Star Fox 64 have aged very well and still extremely playable by modern standard (PD to a certain extent if I can tolerate it's framerate).

I defiently agree about the n64 fog, it's kinda like the system's trademark really. I think I remember reading that it was used to mainly hide pop up.

I need to play some of my old N64 games to see if they still hold up for me.

All of the analog sticks on my N64 controllers are all worn out though, i don;t even know if the games would even be playable.

I know for a fact that Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy hold up, I have played them pretty recently. They are still the best wrestling games ever IMO.

I owned a PS1, and not a 64 and the gameplay on many PS1 games are unaffected by age to me.. (then again.. I mostly play RPGs and you don't really care for graphics in some of those games)

I tried playing Zelda Ocarina.. when it came out on the GC and I couldn't do it.. its not a very good game when compared to games out today.. I guess I just didn't like the style of it.. I always try to play the game but it never seems to work out very well.. heh..

64 games I like though, hmm, Paper Mario, starcraft and Tactics Ogre..

I played through Donkey Kong Country for the first time last year (bought off ebay) and I thought it was great.

I also think Mario Party 3 holds up fine, as does Mario Kart 64. I did try to play Donkey Kong 64 again 2 years ago, though, and I couldn't play it all :(. That sucks, because I remember haivng lots of fun with it back in college.

Interesting. I'll have to give this a whirl during my time off from classes. It will beat lugging my 64 off to college.

The n64 just needs a few things for a quick shot in the arm for fun.
a) the over clock mod
b) the ram pack
c)use the s-video it clears up alot of the video
d)do the RGB mod to the system and find a RGB monitor or a RGB to component adapter http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGBv4/index.html.
e) if you get a component adapter find a 16x9 monitor for some death match with the Rare games.

Makes it all worth while. I was doing alot of the overclock mods for college students last year. They were doing mario kart and diddy cart. It was still fun for them i guess.

Only graphics whores are unable to play games from the PSX, N64, Saturn era. Goldeneye still holds up. Try playing it on an emulator with a higher resolution and some usb converters for N64 controllers. The core gameplay is still solid.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']So, is this anything other than an N64 emulator with Kaillera support? Because such things have existed for several years.[/QUOTE]

The previous standard, Project64k, has desynch problems. Mupen64k is perfectly stable.

Emulators fix bad graphics. It fixes the frame rate, fog, and also aliasing. You will not believe that it's an N64 game when you try it.

You will need a fairly good machine, though. I think that 1 GB RAM is recommended.

P.S. I had completely forgotten that I posted this thread....

[quote name='leveskikesko']The only reason to play this game is for the nostalgia effect.

Games like Halo 2 kill it now.[/QUOTE]

Multiplayer, yes. I find the single player game to be far more involving and better designed.

Only graphics whores are unable to play games from the PSX, N64, Saturn era. Goldeneye still holds up. Try playing it on an emulator with a higher resolution and some usb converters for N64 controllers. The core gameplay is still solid.

I agree with you for the most part but there really is a lot of stuff from that era is unplayable due to graphics. Not just from being an eyesore, but from camera problems and framerate issues.

[quote name='willardhaven']I actually think (I've never been a fan of the game really) that Banjo Kazooie aged pretty well for a Nintendo 64 game. Diddy Kong Racing as well. I've played both recently and while games like Shadows of the Empire and Pilotwings look/play like garbage, these do not.[/quote]

I still play Shadows of the Empire to this day. For all its issues, I still love that game. It is still one of my favorite Star Wars, even just for the Hoth missions.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I still play Shadows of the Empire to this day. For all its issues, I still love that game. It is still one of my favorite Star Wars, even just for the Hoth missions.[/QUOTE]

I loves how many nooks and crannies there are for the challenge points to be hidden in. It's virtually impossible to find all of them without a guide.

2 other people who liked SotE??

I'm shocked. Everyone else I know hated that game .

I tried playing goldeneye a few months back and it was just weird w/o a 2nd stick. Anyone know if you can make it 2-stickable in the emulation?

[quote name='klwillis45']2 other people who liked SotE??

I'm shocked. Everyone else I know hated that game .

I tried playing goldeneye a few months back and it was just weird w/o a 2nd stick. Anyone know if you can make it 2-stickable in the emulation?[/QUOTE]

It's probably possible, try to set one stick as it were the n64 analog and assign up/down/left/right on the other analog.

I myself personally use the "Turok" style controls (move with the C buttons and aim/look with the analog)and it works fine.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Donkey Kong Country doesn't hold up well today. [/QUOTE]

While I agree with most of what you say, I beg to differ in regards to DKC.

[quote name='varsitygamer']While I agree with most of what you say, I beg to differ in regards to DKC.[/quote]I played through DKC again about a month ago after getting back my original SNES that I sold to my cousin more than 10 years ago. Having not touched it for years, I'd agree with you and say it holds up pretty darn well. Now, the graphics aren't as uber amazing as they were back in the day, but they look clean enough and the gameplay is still solid and fun.

DKC1/2/3 gameplay is still solid, especially the first game. The second and third suffer from Rare's "collect-o-fever" (which equals lazy game design)... but the platforming challenge itself is quite punishing, which isn't a bad thing.

DK64 and the Banjo games for the N64 are somewhat solid, but Rare's increasing dependence on item collection (esp. in the games' second halves), while novel for its time, has damaged the games far more than their graphics, which are blurry but still acceptable. They control well.

I went back to the games after many years, loaded up my saves, and found that I had no desire to scour the enormous levels for "those last three fruits" (or magic pages, or jiggies, or whatever)... there was simply no fun in it.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Only graphics whores are unable to play games from the PSX, N64, Saturn era. Goldeneye still holds up. Try playing it on an emulator with a higher resolution and some usb converters for N64 controllers. The core gameplay is still solid.[/quote]

You kind of cancelled your own statement out. :lol:

It's hard to go back to Godeneye or Perfect Dark at times after playing Halo and Halo 2 so much with it's dual analog. I can deal with the lesser frame rates from GE and PD on the N64 , but there are times I wish the controls were more modern. Graphics can definitely be an asset to gameplay. All one has to do is take their favorite PC FPS, play it on the lowest possible graphics settings, then play it on the highest your system can stand.

I'll say this though, give me Perfect Dark over Perfect Dark Zero anyday.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You kind of cancelled your own statement out. :lol:

It's hard to go back to Godeneye or Perfect Dark at times after playing Halo and Halo 2 so much with it's dual analog.[/QUOTE]
Since we're talking about emulators, you can actually configure some of the more advanced N64 emulator input plugins to use conditional input properties to simulate all sorts of inputs that you wouldn't normally. Bottom line: with some tweaking, I can play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark using my USB Xbox controller, using the same dual analog stick setup you'd find in Halo or Timesplitters. Left stick move and strafe, right stick look, triggers fire, et cetera. It's amazing.

I'd say that the ultimate experience imaginable for GoldenEye and PD would be to play them on an emulator, with the dual analog stick setup, running in native widescreen high resolution on an HDTV via TV-out. Man...makes me wish I had an HDTV!

You stupid fools FPS were designed to be played with a keyboard and mouse. I will now snicker and laught at you behind your backs!

*snickers and laughts at you*

[quote name='electronicmaji']You stupid fools FPS were designed to be played with a keyboard and mouse. I will now snicker and laught at you behind your backs!

*snickers and laughts at you*[/QUOTE]

If they were "designed" for a keyboard and mouse.. how do you explain Wolfenstein 3D and Doom not using a mouse?

Since the two titles were the forefathers of all things FPS.. then we can extrapolate that the FPS genre as a whole is designed to be played solely with a keyboard.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']If they were "designed" for a keyboard and mouse.. how do you explain Wolfenstein 3D and Doom not using a mouse?

Since the two titles were the forefathers of all things FPS.. then we can extrapolate that the FPS genre as a whole is designed to be played solely with a keyboard.[/quote]I play both of those with a mouse. I didn't 13 years ago, but I did a few years later. And didn't id play Doom with a mouse? I think I remember reading about them doing it back when it came out.

bread's done
Back