Life (David Attenborough-Narrated Version) [Blu-ray] @ Amazon $25.95 w/ FSSS

[quote name='kikujirobill']Price back up to $32.49[/QUOTE]

The price changed pretty quick after my post. Looks like Amazon UK would be the cheaper way now. Good looking out Scorch.

[quote name='Scorch']It's still cheap on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Blu-ra...A4F6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343484962&sr=8-1

Make sure to order it from Amazon, not a third party seller. Works out to $26.xx shipped for me[/QUOTE]

While it is region-free, the UK version is in 1080i50. So unless you know you've got a blu-ray player that can convert from 50Hz to 60Hz (most US players, including the PS3, do not have this capability), don't order it from Amazon UK. There's a good chance you won't be able to play it.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']It's been $19.99 at BB for at least a month now.[/QUOTE]

19.99 is for Oprah Winfrey version at BestBuy.

[quote name='arcane93']While it is region-free, the UK version is in 1080i50. So unless you know you've got a blu-ray player that can convert from 50Hz to 60Hz (most US players, including the PS3, do not have this capability), don't order it from Amazon UK. There's a good chance you won't be able to play it.[/QUOTE]

The BBC/UK Attenborough narrated version being sold in Best Buy also an imported version but my friend said it has no problem playing on his PS3.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&s..._dvd_bl_act&field-keywords=David Attenborough

[quote name='cagfansub']The BBC/UK Attenborough narrated version being sold in Best Buy also an imported version but my friend said it has no problem playing on his PS3.[/QUOTE]

The Attenborough version sold at Best Buy is not imported from the UK, it's produced for the US market by Warner Home Video.

Look, I don't have the UK version, I'm just passing on the information reported by multiple reputable people over at blu-ray.com. If you want to order it from Amazon UK anyway at your risk, that's all you. When you get it and it doesn't play, you can't say you weren't warned. But it's $32 to get it (the Attenborough version) from Amazon US, vs. about $26 to get it from Amazon UK -- is a $6 savings really worth the risk?

Here's the blu-ray.com info for the UK version:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Life-Blu-ray/6699/
Click on the "region coding" tab for multiple confirmations that it's in 1080i50.

Here's a thread detailing which US blu-ray players are capable of handling 50Hz content:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245

If your blu-ray player is on this list and it says "can convert 50Hz content to 60Hz" then you'll be able to play the UK version. If it's on the list and it doesn't say that, then it more than likely can play the disc, but it will output the content at 50Hz, which most US TVs can't handle. If it's not on the list, you should probably assume that it won't play the disc at all.

This is, btw, an issue with a lot of UK blu-ray releases of British television programs. If you're ever thinking of ordering a television blu-ray from the UK, you should make sure to check first whether it is in 50Hz or 60Hz. Usually the reviews on blu-ray.com will have that info.

[quote name='arcane93']Here's a thread detailing which US blu-ray players are capable of handling 50Hz content:

This is, btw, an issue with a lot of UK blu-ray releases of British television programs. If you're ever thinking of ordering a television blu-ray from the UK, you should make sure to check first whether it is in 50Hz or 60Hz. Usually the reviews on blu-ray.com will have that info.[/QUOTE]

Oh crapp..
I remember we have this PAL (UK/Euro/Asia) vs. NTSC (USA/Canada/Mexico/Japan) format dealing with DVDs.. now with high def, it's should be either 720p or 1080i/p but now we got 50hz/60hz issue to deal with? Why can't they make everything the same?

[quote name='cagfansub']Oh crapp..
I remember we have this PAL (UK/Euro/Asia) vs. NTSC (USA/Canada/Mexico/Japan) format dealing with DVDs.. now with high def, it's should be either 720p or 1080i/p but now we got 50hz/60hz issue to deal with? Why can't they make everything the same?[/QUOTE]

The 50Hz vs. 60Hz issue is actually a hold-over from the PAL (576i50) and NTSC (480i60) days. Baiscally, the move to HD standardized the number of scan lines, but for whatever reason the frame rate was retained.

[quote name='cagfansub']19.99 is for Oprah Winfrey version at BestBuy.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm no. It's this one. I own it and bought it at BB for $19.99. Maybe the price has changed since then, but this and Planet Earth BD were both $19.99 each at one point. I'd just double check there first. And I should note that, at the time, my BB showed none in stock online, but they had some in store. It's not always 100% accurate.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']Mmmm no. It's this one. I own it and bought it at BB for $19.99. Maybe the price has changed since then, but this and Planet Earth BD were both $19.99 each at one point. I'd just double check there first. And I should note that, at the time, my BB showed none in stock online, but they had some in store. It's not always 100% accurate.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the Attenborough version went back up in price a couple of weeks ago, to $59.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=1004613&type=product&id=2099261

I was going to grab it with the Upgrade and Save deal, and discovered it had gone back up. Oh well, it will drop again. I can wait.

[quote name='cagfansub']Watch for Amazon deal.. I think the Attenborough version may drop to $25 by year end.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm waiting for another $20 or under deal. It's not a particularly high priority for me; I'll get it when I get it, and if I don't get it, I won't be too broken up about it.

bread's done
Back