Life throws me curveballs, and pulls carpet from right underneath me (The Break up)

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I am a 27 year old white male who's been employed everyday of his life since turning 16. I been achieving and accomplishing goals on a regular basis. I had a few close friends, but none who would consider "The cool Crowd", as I graduated High School with 3.8 GPA, I decided to not attend college even though I had a local state college who offered a Athletic scholarship for Track and Field. I was dating a girl (3 year relationship) when I graduated, and she wanted me to not go to college because we rarely wouldn't be able to see each other. I gave in to her wish, and just did a retail job to save money after I graduated and when she graduates (She was a year behind me in school) we would move out of state and start our life together. Well then it happened, she graduated, and went to a college (paid for by her dad) a few states over......and she ended our 3 year old relationship. I gave up a full scholarship for her after she pleaded and beg, I look back and see I was blinded by love, because she did not give me that same courtesy.

Flash forward 3 years (20 years old), I start a small local business, and everything is going better then I could Imagine. I have a full time job and a small business, so I finally start to put money into my savings account for the first time in my adult life. I was starting to become confident, independent, and comfortable to be in own skin for the first time I could remember. Then I met a cute, funny girl on MySpace (Yes, that social network) who lived 3 city's over, about 1 hour drive. This girl was beautiful, similar taste in hobbies and music, and was only a year older then me. She did local print ad modeling, so nothing major but did have couple local commercials too. She mentioned she loved video games too (I was calling her bluff, because I had video games listed in my hobbie/profile on MySpace). I quizzed her on Final Fantasy series, and she knew her stuff, even said Final Fantasy 8 was her favorite (yea I'm like :roll: when she said FFVIII). I then make the hour drive up state to hang out with this girl, which pretty much turned into 4-5 days/week to see her. She wants to start dating, so we became a couple. Then my life changed forever in a dark spiral corridor as I enter into a relationship with this wild, hot, outgoing girl.

She eventually moves in with me (because a 2 hour round trip in the car to see her was becoming too much). I start to meet her friends (most of which also did modeling). We where hanging out, and was offered something by my girlfriend which I had no idea what it was. I kept telling my girlfriend no, I'm good, drugs aren't my thing (which was true as I never did ANY drugs, not even weed). She kept persisting and said she would do this and do that to me (Sexually explicit activities), after about an hour of her begging, I decide to try it.....and told her I am only doing it once and she has to agree to not ask me again or take me around this drug again. I did the drug for first time and honestly made me feel fantastic, happy, and pretty much invincible. I became addictive to it and that's just what my girlfriend(I had no idea she did that drug or any drug for that matter until that night she offered it to me)wanted because I had plenty of disposable income. I start to become irrational, delusional, mean, and lack motivation between uses and as a result I lost my job and gave up on my small business. The Girlfriend and me became hateful towards each other as we both had an urge to get high all the time. I said enough is enough, and broke up with her because I THOUGHT that would help me return my life to normal. I will never forget what she said when I broke up with her..."You can get rid of me.....but I gave you something that will eat you up inside daily....an addiction(as she was laughing)".

Little did I know, but she was right....oh was she right. I struggled with the addiction for almost a year longer until a blessing happened....I was arrested for possession. I thought my life was over, but since I had a clean record, I was given a year supervised probation and 40 hours of community service at a local church. I'm not a spiritual person by any means (never step foot into a church until that day to perform community service). I was really depressed and sad and felt worthless, but when I walked into that church....a chill shot up my spine....the air was thin and cleanse, everybody knew why I was their at the church....because I broke the law but yet they still accepted me with open arms. I spent 2 months performing my community service at that church(sweeping, cleaning, vacuuming) until the 40 required hours were completed. I actually returned to that same church a week later and donated another 40 hours of helping out/volunteering because I felt like possibly god would give me redemption for my sins. I have been and remain drug free for 6 years.

Here is what I meant to make the thread about.....About 3 years ago I meet a girl (mother of 2) through a good friend. She was in the middle of a divorce, so we remained friends and I got to know her young children (I have no children of my own). We really had a chemistry, and shortly we started dating and I moved in with her to help with rent and until her lease was up, then we would get a bigger house. Everything was perfect, her children loved me, and actually call me dad (their biological dad wanted nothing to do with them after the divorce). We rent a big house, and we actually had a "Family", after about 2 years of living together in the house, things started to changed.....not for the good either. Her addiction towards alcohol went from bad to worst, and since I had an addiction that I fought and won against many years ago, I thought I could "Save" her, because her alcohol abuse was effecting her job, house chorse. I started to become extremely concern when she would skip/call out for no reason other then a hang over. I helped her though it and she improved immensely.

Valentines weekend of this year, I come home from work....no kids....no girlfriend. I try to call her a few times and got no answer, but talk to her sister and my girlfriends children are with her for the weekend, but she says my girlfriend just spending weekend with her best friend down the street from her house. I'm like awesome, she was getting a break from the kids for a few days, she did deserve it after all. Then Monday comes and she comes home with the children......acting like nothing happen. I just shrug it off and go to work Tuesday, and come home....notice a suite case in her car. I then ask her why do you have a suitcase in your car, thought you just went to your best friends house 20 mins away. She drops the bomb and said she flew to an ex who she hasn't seen in 10 years, about 8 states over in California. She said she only went to see him as a friend, because she loves and is happy with me. She only went for moral support because he was going through a rough time. A few weeks pass, and thought were doing great for what just transpired, She says she needs to talk to me.....She is moving to California with her two children to live with him (She only spent 2 days with him, and admittedly only been talking to him for a month, but yet makes such a irrational decision, but her two children (4&6) has never met or heard of this guy, but yet she trust this guy enough to move her children in a strangers house). She said she is moving in with him, they already leased a apartment while she was their that weekend, she quit her job, pulled her daughter out of school, bought flight tickets, and gave the landlord 30 days notice 25 days ago!!!!. You gave landlord 30 day notice?!? So I had 5 days to move and vacate house, and found new place to live.

I could get over loosing my girlfriend but I knew and raised her children since infants, who call me dad and say they love me and gave me hug and kiss every night when I tucked them in. The kids don't understand, and they think I'm moving with them, and they keep begging me to pleas move with them.....I can only tell them I would honestly love nothing more, and I really hope your mother explains what is going on. I been moved out for a few days, and every night I think of them, it's really gut wrenching, knowing I will never see them kids again, I get so emotional looking at the bday cards that they hand made each year for me, brings me to tears. I never had a problem getting over girlfriends after break ups but never had children involve, and even though they might not be mine biologically....they are a part of me.

Damn, dude. That's a real shitty situation.

On the brightside, and there is one, it's a good thing you didn't have kids with her and didn't get married. It would've made things infinitely more complicated and harder on you.

I hope things get better for you.

Get into the gym, restart your business or otherwise focus on your career. Give it at least 5 years, then starting looking for a woman a few years younger than you who was raised by a decent guy and wants kids and a family. You'll get through it, man.

You can't fix crazy bro. Sounds like it was a co-dependent relationship. Be prepared for her to just decide one random day to walk back in your life out of the blue because it didn't work out and she thinks you will take her and the kids back. She'll probably use the kids as leverage. Be strong and say no. I think some goals would be to hit up some therapy, either one on one or in a group, so you can learn to make better decisions. This way you will work towards finding yourself a more stable woman to build a healthy relationship with.

[quote name='mitch079']You can't fix crazy bro. Sounds like it was a co-dependent relationship. Be prepared for her to just decide one random day to walk back in your life out of the blue because it didn't work out and she thinks you will take her and the kids back. She'll probably use the kids as leverage. Be strong and say no. I think some goals would be to hit up some therapy, either one on one or in a group, so you can learn to make better decisions. This way you will work towards finding yourself a more stable woman to build a healthy relationship with.[/QUOTE]

1. in order to do that he might just have to start a new life. Doesn't sound like much is keeping him there. Pick up and move many states away if you can. Gotta get away from the crazy women.

2. So crack?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']1. in order to do that he might just have to start a new life. Doesn't sound like much is keeping him there. Pick up and move many states away if you can. Gotta get away from the crazy women.

2. So crack?[/QUOTE] nope, rich peoples candy

[quote name='confoosious']1. in order to do that he might just have to start a new life. Doesn't sound like much is keeping him there. Pick up and move many states away if you can. Gotta get away from the crazy women.

2. So crack?[/QUOTE]

Well I dont think I need to move from her at all to start a new life, because she already moved across the country to California.

[quote name='Poor2More']nope, rich peoples candy[/QUOTE]

That would explain the community service. Poor people drugs generally mean jail time. Either way, good job on keeping that monkey off your back.

mitch079 has some good advice to follow. I don't think you need to start a completely new life either, but her coming back with questionable intentions and using the kids isn't completely far-fetched. Chances are that she'd fuck you over again if you let her.

[quote name='mitch079']You can't fix crazy bro. Sounds like it was a co-dependent relationship. Be prepared for her to just decide one random day to walk back in your life out of the blue because it didn't work out and she thinks you will take her and the kids back. She'll probably use the kids as leverage. Be strong and say no. I think some goals would be to hit up some therapy, either one on one or in a group, so you can learn to make better decisions. This way you will work towards finding yourself a more stable woman to build a healthy relationship with.[/QUOTE]

If that day came, it would be so damn hard to say no, just for the fact I love them kids so much. I never been a father, and to have a 4 yr boy and 6 yr girl look up to you like your the greatest thing in the world, that made me the happiest man in the world. Honestly, been help raisng the children since they were 1 and 3 years old, and every night they always gave me a hug and kiss and say I love you and now everyday I wake up I'm not welcomed by their sweet innocent smile and hug, instead just a harsh cold reality.....the oldest child (6 yr old girl) ask me to pleas be her and her brothers new daddy, and I ask why she want a new daddy....She says "Our old dad doesen't ever wanna see us anymore, and you play with us and are around everyday, and me and my lil brother love you soooooo much"

I try to take my mind off of losing them, because I get extremely depressed and emotional. Working usually does the trick to distract me when going through a difficult time, but in this case the pass week my work performance suffered due to my lack of concentration.

P.S I'm really thankful for the positive comments, and advice, I know it might come off cheesy as writing about such a subject on a Videogame Deal website, but in all honestly this site means more then that to me, only website I am a forum member have, and met many great personalities through the years. I already discussed this to my close personal friends, but wanted to also open up to a place I'm most familiar with....CAG.

[quote name='dohdough']That would explain the community service. Poor people drugs generally mean jail time. Either way, good job on keeping that monkey off your back.

mitch079 has some good advice to follow. I don't think you need to start a completely new life either, but her coming back with questionable intentions and using the kids isn't completely far-fetched. Chances are that she'd fuck you over again if you let her.[/QUOTE]

Thanks appreciate the kind words, it was tough for the first few months, but after that I kicked the addiction to the curb and NEVER had an urge or itch to revisit that nightmare no matter how bad life got.

I even asked her anyway possible if kids could stay in contact with me (phone,skype, etc), and she said not a chance because her new boyfriend will be their dad.

I said "What? pleas it will help me and them, so they dont think I just abandoned them like their biological father"

She said "Their going to meet my new boyfriend, and he will become their father figure"

I said "But they never met the guy and you only spent 2 days total with him, even know you dated him 10 years ago.....people change....how can you trust a stranger to live with your children"

She said "I dont care, they are my children and thats that"

[quote name='Poor2More']Well I dont think I need to move from her at all to start a new life, because she already moved across the country to California.[/QUOTE]

Well in the scenario that other guy was talking about, she will come find you.

Also, I know you love those kids but they are not yours. They will always be hers. And she is crazy. And she will use them to get to you. RUN. As far and as fast as you can. You have made some terrible life decisions (not to beat you up about it), don't throw good money after bad.

I'm sure you realize how dumb it was to turn down a scholarship to college to date a high schooler. College isn't for everyone but c'mon - a free ride for running track? It's not like its going to HURT your life to go through that. But okay, it sounds like you came away from that rookie mistake well by eventually owning your own business.

I think you realize how stupid the drug addiction was. But dating a model (for whom income can be crazy inconsistent without other legit side jobs) and then moving her in with you? I know you didn't spill all of the details but that also sounds dumb. But you finally dumped her and dumped the addiction after gaining a criminal record. You get clean. Great. You've pulled yourself out of a ditch again.

But then you befriend a mother of two going through a divorce, then move in with her and her kids to help HER pay the rent. Look, I'm not trying to diminish whatever kind of love you two had or what you think you had - but think about it - newly divorced single alcoholic mother of two with the ex not in the picture, and you, a nice and decent guy, wants to be around her and PAY for her living and even upgrade her to a bigger house? I don't think many women in that situation would turn down that kind of opportunity. And of course in the end she struggles with her addiction, lies to you, cheats on you, and leaves you in the dust after you floated her and her kids for three years.

There's a reason you typed out all of these long involved stories, whether or not you realize it.

You've picked yourself back up twice before, and you'll do it again a third time. That's the good news.

The bad news is there's something going on inside you that's leading you to make these questionable and even bad life choices, and its almost like a cycle of self abuse. It really sounds like you'll be back in this same position a fourth time after your next relationship.

It might help if you stop putting pussy on a pedestal, and stop rushing into things, particularly moving in with women you've only dated for a short period of time. You also obviously need to pick women who aren't addicted to drugs and alcohol like the last two.

You should go see a therapist and see if you can't work through whatever the heck is going on inside of you. You sound like a decent person but you're really holding yourself back from being all that you can be, and your choice in women is not helping in the slightest. Therapy can help. If you don't like one therapist, try another. But there's some deep shit going on inside of you that you need to address.

[quote name='kodave']I'm sure you realize how dumb it was to turn down a scholarship to college to date a high schooler. College isn't for everyone but c'mon - a free ride for running track? It's not like its going to HURT your life to go through that. But okay, it sounds like you came away from that rookie mistake well by eventually owning your own business.

I think you realize how stupid the drug addiction was. But dating a model (for whom income can be crazy inconsistent without other legit side jobs) and then moving her in with you? I know you didn't spill all of the details but that also sounds dumb. But you finally dumped her and dumped the addiction after gaining a criminal record. You get clean. Great. You've pulled yourself out of a ditch again.

But then you befriend a mother of two going through a divorce, then move in with her and her kids to help HER pay the rent. Look, I'm not trying to diminish whatever kind of love you two had or what you think you had - but think about it - newly divorced single alcoholic mother of two with the ex not in the picture, and you, a nice and decent guy, wants to be around her and PAY for her living and even upgrade her to a bigger house? I don't think many women in that situation would turn down that kind of opportunity. And of course in the end she struggles with her addiction, lies to you, cheats on you, and leaves you in the dust after you floated her and her kids for three years.

There's a reason you typed out all of these long involved stories, whether or not you realize it.

You've picked yourself back up twice before, and you'll do it again a third time. That's the good news.

The bad news is there's something going on inside you that's leading you to make these questionable and even bad life choices, and its almost like a cycle of self abuse. It really sounds like you'll be back in this same position a fourth time after your next relationship.

It might help if you stop putting pussy on a pedestal, and stop rushing into things, particularly moving in with women you've only dated for a short period of time. You also obviously need to pick women who aren't addicted to drugs and alcohol like the last two.

You should go see a therapist and see if you can't work through whatever the heck is going on inside of you. You sound like a decent person but you're really holding yourself back from being all that you can be, and your choice in women is not helping in the slightest. Therapy can help. If you don't like one therapist, try another. But there's some deep shit going on inside of you that you need to address.[/QUOTE]

Excellent advice and input. I probably do put pussy on the pedestal.....I guess it feels great to be wanted, but I do believe my biggest fault is not able to say "No", I got alot better at it over the pass couple of years. I always put others ahead of my needs/wants, usually not getting any type of support from the same indivisuals when I am at a slump emotionaly. I'm considering the therapist suggestion because I do feel slightly better talking about it, I'm usually the person who keeps everything bundled up inside and let it eat away at me all my life.

[quote name='Poor2More']Excellent advice and input. I probably do put pussy on the pedestal.....I guess it feels great to be wanted, but I do believe my biggest fault is not able to say "No", I got alot better at it over the pass couple of years. I always put others ahead of my needs/wants, usually not getting any type of support from the same indivisuals when I am at a slump emotionaly. I'm considering the therapist suggestion because I do feel slightly better talking about it, I'm usually the person who keeps everything bundled up inside and let it eat away at me all my life.[/QUOTE]

If you can afford it even out of pocket (if your insurance doesn't cover it - if you have insurance), just do it and give it a shot for a little while. If you're not paying for this woman and her kids anymore you should have some extra income - take care of yourself now. Maybe give dating a rest for a while. You're only 27. You're still young enough that you can give women a break for a while and still get back into the dating game where you could one day create a traditional family of your own.

[quote name='dohdough']Damn, dude. That's a real shitty situation.

On the brightside, and there is one, it's a good thing you didn't have kids with her and didn't get married. It would've made things infinitely more complicated and harder on you.

I hope things get better for you.[/QUOTE]

Actually if the kids were his he would at least get to have contact with them. Even just talking to the phone once a week would be better than suddenly nothing at all.

Like kodave said get therapy/counseling

[quote name='kodave']You've picked yourself back up twice before, and you'll do it again a third time. That's the good news.[/quote]
Yep.

Agreed. Explore this issue, P2M, so it doesn't keep happening.

Good luck to you.

Have you thought about adopting a pet or helping at risk youth or something? The kids going away is going to hurt, but it sounds like you have a lot of love to give, and lord knows there's some creatures out there who could use it.

Also feel as though someone should point out that your story has a common theme of people doing stupid things because of love/lust. You turned down a full scholarship for one girl, and got addicted to a drug for another. Both very stupid things. The mom picked up her kids and moved them across the country to have a new dad. Likely a stupid thing.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Have you thought about adopting a pet or helping at risk youth or something? The kids going away is going to hurt, but it sounds like you have a lot of love to give, and lord knows there's some creatures out there who could use it.

Also feel as though someone should point out that your story has a common theme of people doing stupid things because of love/lust. You turned down a full scholarship for one girl, and got addicted to a drug for another. Both very stupid things. The mom picked up her kids and moved them across the country to have a new dad. Likely a stupid thing.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Try to find an output for your love and in the mean time, make more rational decisions - especially with women. As the others have said, consider changing locations. It will be a fresh start and won't weigh you down as you're trying to recover. Keep busy with work, exercise, and/or being social and having a good time with friends.

And while keeping busy is a good idea, you should still allow some time to let your emotions out and just feel how you want to feel. Don't keep it all bottled up. If you are considering talking about it with a professional, then great. I believe that the biggest loss for you is the children, right? Consider writing letters to them (but not actually sending them) to get all of your thoughts and feelings out. I know they're young, but it may also help to imagine them being accepting and understanding of the situation and imagine them replying to these messages.

Anyway, this is something that is going to take time to heal. It will heal, though. Don't make any stupid decisions and stay strong/continue whatever coping mechanisms are successful for you. Like an actual wound, it is okay to feel pain and give it some nurturing, but don't pick at it or it isn't going to heal.

[quote name='Yamato']I agree. Try to find an output for your love and in the mean time, make more rational decisions - especially with women. As the others have said, consider changing locations. It will be a fresh start and won't weigh you down as you're trying to recover. Keep busy with work, exercise, and/or being social and having a good time with friends.

And while keeping busy is a good idea, you should still allow some time to let your emotions out and just feel how you want to feel. Don't keep it all bottled up. If you are considering talking about it with a professional, then great. I believe that the biggest loss for you is the children, right? Consider writing letters to them (but not actually sending them) to get all of your thoughts and feelings out. I know they're young, but it may also help to imagine them being accepting and understanding of the situation and imagine them replying to these messages.

Anyway, this is something that is going to take time to heal. It will heal, though. Don't make any stupid decisions and stay strong/continue whatever coping mechanisms are successful for you. Like an actual wound, it is okay to feel pain and give it some nurturing, but don't pick at it or it isn't going to heal.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% that the children will be my biggest lost and emotionally damaging, I really hope it gets better over the next month. I did love my girlfriend, but getting over her will be much easier then the kids, because I been through break ups in the pass and usually get over it within a few weeks.

I love that advice "It's okay to feel pain and give it some nurturing, but don't pick at it or it isn't going to heal", It makes sense, and will try my best to follow it.

OK, first things first, your ass needs to be acting like you're on witness protection. Do not give your landlord a forwarding address, change your phone number, delete your myspace/facebook for a couple years, tell your parents that even if your ex does contact them to not tell her where you are or tell you that the contact even happened, etc. The reason why is because this latest woman will be coming back and she's gonna be looking for you. While it's still raw and you're angry about it is the time to make sure she'll never find you again because if she does, like you said, she's gonna leverage those kids against you.

Next, when you meet new women, don't ignore the warning signs. You knew they were there because you wrote them into every story you told. The high school girlfriend should have never asked you to skip college for her. Love is more of a compromise and sacrifice than it is a selfish endeavor. Her asking you to stay was completely selfish. You should be willing to put your significant other ahead of yourself, they shouldn't be continuously expecting it though, particularly with something as big as that was. The second relationship was the drug use obviously. The final relationship you didn't elaborate much on what would be the warning signs but I think if you look hard enough you'll find them.

I wish you luck though, you've certainly had your fair share of bad luck in relationships but don't let yourself get completely despaired about the situation because there'll be a better person out there for you.

I agree with whoever said: adopting a pet will help. It really does. I had 2 cats before my big break-up and now that they live with me, it makes all the difference in the world. Always happy to see you and give you love. Plus, their upkeep may help take your mind off the other troubles.

If you're not sure about the responsibility of owning, you could always talk to the nearest shelter about donating your time to go in and pet/play with the animals there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eulogywerd21']I agree with whoever said: adopting a pet will help. It really does. I had 2 cats before my big break-up and now that they live with me, it makes all the difference in the world. Always happy to see you and give you love. Plus, their upkeep may help take your mind off the other troubles.

If you're not sure about the responsibility of owning, you could always talk to the nearest shelter about donating your time to go in and pet/play with the animals there.[/QUOTE]

Shelters let you do that? I had no idea! Thanks!

[quote name='dohdough']Shelters let you do that? I had no idea! Thanks![/QUOTE]

It really depends. Often there are waiting lists for those types of volunteer positions. Sometimes you have to go through some kind of training session too (yes, just to pet and play with shelter dogs). And shelters really need help with other things besides playing with the dogs - like washing blankets, hosing out kennels, etc. And a lot of shelters want a firm commitment that you're going to be there X number of hours per week over a three or six month period regardless of what type of job you do. Usually you just can't treat them like petting zoos.

[quote name='kodave']It really depends. Often there are waiting lists for those types of volunteer positions. Sometimes you have to go through some kind of training session too (yes, just to pet and play with shelter dogs). And shelters really need help with other things besides playing with the dogs - like washing blankets, hosing out kennels, etc. And a lot of shelters want a firm commitment that you're going to be there X number of hours per week over a three or six month period regardless of what type of job you do. Usually you just can't treat them like petting zoos.[/QUOTE]
Oh of course...didn't mean to make it sound otherwise. I used to have a dog and I know there's more to taking care of an animal besides playing with it...feeding, cleaning, pooper scoopering, and all that good stuff. Just glad to know there's a volunteer program for that kind of stuff.

[quote name='Poor2More']I been moved out for a few days, and every night I think of them, it's really gut wrenching, knowing I will never see them kids again, I get so emotional looking at the bday cards that they hand made each year for me, brings me to tears. I never had a problem getting over girlfriends after break ups but never had children involve, and even though they might not be mine biologically....they are a part of me.[/QUOTE]

:cry: As a father this just makes me well up inside. I know they're not biological but living with them and taking care of them since they were infants? You must be incredibly attached. Just thinking about someone taking my daughter so suddenly with little chance to see her again is probably the most depressing thing I could think of.

I really hope you can pull through this. Keep us updated and good luck bro.

[quote name='Poor2More']I agree 100% that the children will be my biggest lost and emotionally damaging, I really hope it gets better over the next month. I did love my girlfriend, but getting over her will be much easier then the kids, because I been through break ups in the pass and usually get over it within a few weeks.

I love that advice "It's okay to feel pain and give it some nurturing, but don't pick at it or it isn't going to heal", It makes sense, and will try my best to follow it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rodimus']:cry: As a father this just makes me well up inside. I know they're not biological but living with them and taking care of them since they were infants? You must be incredibly attached. Just thinking about someone taking my daughter so suddenly with little chance to see her again is probably the most depressing thing I could think of.

I really hope you can pull through this. Keep us updated and good luck bro.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the support, I can't even think about it without eyes watering up.

bread's done
Back