LIMITED EDITION Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory worth buying?

sabin23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Is Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Limited Collector's Edition worth buying?

I know the game is great but are all the LE goodies worth it? Should I hold out hoping for it to drop in price. I remember another CAG mentioning the Xbox: Limited Edition is the rarest version having a lower print run then the PC: LE or even the non: LE PS2 and GC... Unlike the PC:LE or PS2 version, XB didn't drop during the recent (temp?) price drop (at Frys or was it EB?).

---------- Another option is I could get a copy (regular edition) right now at Blockbuster (trade 3 games and get a pre-owned for $5). Instructions were missing. The disc looked to be in good (not great) condition... Not sure what do but it's very tempting to get the regular edition (despite not being LE and missing instructions). BTW, out of pocket expenses for me would be around $10 (thx to TRU, GS bargains).

Advice anyone?

------------------From EB Games------------------
The Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Limited Collectors Edition includes:

* A unique metallic embossed collector box.
* 2-DVD set contains (contents subject to change in final shipping)

The entire Splinter Cell Chaos Theory game and a second DVD with bonus content:

* 3 bonus soundtrack remix music from electronica genius Amon Tobin
* The making of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
* Development Diaries on A.I, Level design, animation, graphic technology and more
* Art Gallery
* Penny Arcade spy training manual
* Video features
o Mega64
o Spy guide
* Trailers

[quote name='Scorch']I've got the CE. It's nice to look at. Never looked at the DVD.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got it a little while ago used, like he says the box looks nice and all but the extras I've never found much of any use for. Unlike movies, making of featurettes and such for games I don't find useful or interesting, but if you do you may like it. My personal recommendation is save yourself the time and money and just get the normal one.

I was thinking about picking up the LE, but there isn't enough meat on that other dvd. If you get G4 in your area, I'm pretty sure you've seen the Splinter Cell Icons and I'd imagine that alot of that interview content is taken from that.

The PA stuff is usually good for a chuckle, but I'm sure you can find it if you search hard enough.

I guess if you're a collector or a major fan of the series, the LE is the way to go. Personally, I'm heading over to Target to pick up the regular for $30.

If you think you want it, get it. That way, you'll never look on ebay, see it selling for $200, and say, "God dammit, I should have bought that when it was $50, so I could say I have a rare-ass game."

Just like what I said when I saw WoW CE and Mega Man X3 5 feet in front of my face.

Keep in mind that unlike other "Limited Editions", the SCCT LEs truly are just that. There was only one printing of them and what's out there is all that's available. I haven't seen any in my area at all.

[quote name='terribledeli'] I guess if you're a collector or a major fan of the series, the LE is the way to go. Personally, I'm heading over to Target to pick up the regular for $30.[/QUOTE]

Is it $30 at Target B&M now?

I recall it dropping recently but I thought it was a temporary price drop (I forget which store)... I remember when Target had Ninja Gaiden for $30 a few months before most other stores.

From what I can tell, a lot of people don't seem to care about the extras in the LE. That's why there are a lot of copies on eBay, ending up in the $30-40 range.

I have only played Pandora Tomorrow, and I liked that one, so I am wondering whether to buy this or not. I might pick it up used if I can find a good deal.

How is the online play, and how does it work?

[quote name='sabin23']Is it $30 at Target B&M now?

I recall it dropping recently but I thought it was a temporary price drop (I forget which store)... I remember when Target had Ninja Gaiden for $30 a few months before most other stores.[/QUOTE]

I think its just on sale this week for $27.88 (?). I believe it was $38.88 a couple of weeks ago as well. This is just the cheapest I've seen it. I'm not particularly a huge fan of the series so I'm passing on LE, I can't merit $50+ for a game unless it has a nice bonus like the doom3 LE did.

[quote name='terribledeli']I think its just on sale this week for $27.88 (?). I believe it was $38.88 a couple of weeks ago as well. This is just the cheapest I've seen it. I'm not particularly a huge fan of the series so I'm passing on LE, I can't merit $50+ for a game unless it has a nice bonus like the doom3 LE did.[/QUOTE]

Good deal for $27.88. I just saw the Target ad right now. I must have missed it in Succesful Dropout's weekly ad post.

Thanks for the advice about the LE fellas... I defintely like the bonus content but I guess I can live without it, considering the exorbitant price for LE

Hmmm.... if I see regular edition again at Blockbuster tommorow, I'll probably just pick up a pre-owned copy, which would cost me $10 out-of-pocket (trading in games along the lines of Extermination, Project Eden, Madden 2004)... which would be $18 cheaper then a new copy at Target... then again, new is tempting. I hope this is the right decision.

bread's done
Back