limited number of threads?

aknowlesjr

CAGiversary!
are there a limit of the number of threads for each section of the forums? how can the DS section only have two pages of content? i don't know where to post this so here it is. Thanks for any help.

I believe the forums get wiped for the sake of clearing dead threads, and to try and keep orderliness. I don't know how the staff team works here, and if there any specific section mods, but if there are section mods, then that mod most likely likes to delete any old topics, to keep orderliness in the forum.

That's all I can come up with.

Actually they don't get wiped. The way the forums work, by default, is you're only shown the threads that have a post within the last month in them. If you want to view past that (search automatically finds older threads), head to the bottom of the selected forum and under the 'new thread' image you'll find Display Options. Here you can change it from viewing threads "from the" 'last month' to as early as when the forum first opened up.

This is done so it helps cut the load off of the servers every time people are viewing the forums. With the amount of people that use these forums, I can only imagine how bad the loading would be whenever we get a high amount of people on concurrently. It use to be pretty bad before the servers were upgraded for the forums and I'm sure Gwen wouldn't mind telling you how bad they were sometimes from what I remember when she complained about it since she use to use (still does maybe?) a 56k modem. :p

Also keep in mind that this can be changed under your user control panel under Edit Options then to Thread Display Options. There you'll find the default thread cutoff which can be changed to your liking.

Thank you Draekon, I'd close the thread, and possibly move this to another section. I don't really think this belongs in the DS/GBA section.

Sometimes the best way to see threads or search for keywords in a thread title is to use the archive/mobile page. I'm sure it cuts way down on server usage as well.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/archive/index.php/

I used to use this when I had dial-up. I'm so used to it that it's the main way I check out the threads now. If a reply is needed, you can change to full version directly in the thread.

There's currently 15 pages of GBA/DS threads totalling 3,671 threads...

bread's done
Back