Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Are the LRG trading cards specific to each release? Meaning, you get a Ys card with an Ys purchase? Or is it just a mix of all previous releases?
There are two different cards per game release and a small chance of a limited gold foil card.

All standard cards are silver foil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Josh, any word on the Plague Road KS variants shipping? And since these weren't handled through you guys, will we be getting shipping notices when they do ship?

I'm guessing you guys would have everyone's email along with their shipping address info, just not sure what the process is for inputting all that info in the shipping process. 

A new competitor has entered the field! Meet, Strictly Limited Games! They ship from Germany and will release "great" indies and AA titles. PS4 and Vita titles only. They will only publish one title per month, but I can see it being subject to change. https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/

There first title is Tokyo 42. PS4

Boxshot-Front.jpg

Strictly Limited uh? Damn, they worked really hard on that name didn't they? LOL

The more the merrier, hopefully the cost and shipping aren't beyond reason. I signed up for their notices, so I'll be looking forward to them setting up shop.

Another company copying LRG model and name...

I love physical releases so I signed up for their newsletter. I hope the shipping doesn't kill it.

A new competitor has entered the field! Meet, Strictly Limited Games! They ship from Germany and will release "great" indies and AA titles. PS4 and Vita titles only. They will only publish one title per month, but I can see it being subject to change. https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/

There first title is Tokyo 42. PS4 and Vita.
Oh JFC...

Wait.. Germany? So PEGI releases and not mandatory for US collections like Signature Edition Games. Whew. Nvm. Carry on.

I'll buy whatever from whomever, as long as it's something I want.

How do we know if a game is region 1 when the box has no rating and region shows All on the back of the box?
PS4/Vita are region free. Mostly. They can lock it like PS3, but there's only one game that's ever done that, AFAIK (Persona 4 Arena).

Wait.. Germany?
Not necessarily. The host server for the site is in Germany. But that doesn't mean it's German based the same way LRG isn't based in Canada but their site is hosted on a server in Canada. It also should mean something that the site is in English and doesn't appear to have options to switch to any EU languages. So... it's possibly US releases. Guess we'll know more soon enough.

The collector exploitation is real.  What prior generations got this bad?  Why is it such a big thing only now?

Really more of a product of social media, the internet, and what not.

Prior generations didn't have the accessibility to information as we do now.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s I had to get all my game information from magazines alone, and that was it.

Nowadays, anybody with a blog, facebook page, youtube channel delivers news, information, and all that good stuff.

It's just different.

How do we know if a game is region 1 when the box has no rating and region shows All on the back of the box?
Honestly hard to tell.

The collector exploitation is real. What prior generations got this bad? Why is it such a big thing only now?
Because it sells out.

I'll buy whatever from whomever, as long as it's something I want.

PS4/Vita are region free. Mostly. They can lock it like PS3, but there's only one game that's ever done that, AFAIK (Persona 4 Arena).
yep. As long as they release what I want, I'm in. Maybe they got Hatoful Boyfriend. LOL

The collector exploitation is real. What prior generations got this bad? Why is it such a big thing only now?
Honestly, I never see this as some collector's endeavor, so much as just gamers wanting physical over digital. Physical is for sure disappearing, and that's what makes companies like this needed.

I don't know what this new company will be charging, but I would assume if the plan to compete in the market, pricing similar to LRG & Play-Asia should be a must. And to get a physical game for $25-30, is well below standard retail, and more than welcome for a physical offering where there was none before.

I guess depending on the qty's offered, some could consider this aimed at that segment of buyers, but for games like this to work, in a digital age, they have to be limited, which in turn can make them collectible. It's just the nature of the beast, sadly.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s I had to get all my game information from magazines alone, and that was it.

Nowadays, anybody with a blog, facebook page, youtube channel delivers news, information, and all that good stuff.

It's just different.
There were collectors and message boards even in the days before the Internet. Before that there were fanzines and in person club meetings. People are acting like collecting is something new when it's not at all. Sure, there may be more rapid communication now and for a variety of demographic reasons people of a certain age have more disposable income, but frankly I think that's a good thing as we all get more choices and opportunities to get physical copies of things that would have previously been digital only.

Yes, this is the case. I was enthusiastic about collecting classic games way back in the day. But the availability of information was far more limited, and access to actual content was also severely limited. Physical media was the ONLY way to access these games, and that physical media was often prohibitively expensive. Actual information had to be gleaned from magazines or talking to people who knew. This made acquiring information about older games considerably more difficult. Even back then it was not unusual for some games to simply slip through the cracks.

Now, dedicated collectors are going out of their way to make all of this information immediately accessible on-line. If you have an internet connection and a browser, you can learn whatever you want about classic games. You can get pictures of the physical cartridges, scans of barcodes, and entire play-through videos. With the click of a button. You can get current price estimates, and even access on-line trading forums and discussions. Its so much easier now, which is allowing far more people to get into it as a hobby.

There's also the fact that video games have become a larger part of popular culture. There's significantly greater acceptance of them now, which is helping to boost collecting. An increase in research regarding the video game industry and its history is also driving interest.

Honestly, I never see this as some collector's endeavor, so much as just gamers wanting physical over digital. Physical is for sure disappearing, and that's what makes companies like this needed.

I don't know what this new company will be charging, but I would assume if the plan to compete in the market, pricing similar to LRG & Play-Asia should be a must. And to get a physical game for $25-30, is well below standard retail, and more than welcome for a physical offering where there was none before.

I guess depending on the qty's offered, some could consider this aimed at that segment of buyers, but for games like this to work, in a digital age, they have to be limited, which in turn can make them collectible. It's just the nature of the beast, sadly.
It's collectors more then anything.

Someone just wanting to play will go digital as a option.

I can tell you a lot of posters don't play thr games they buy. They buy so much they couldn't play them regardless if they say they will. They collect more then time would allow to play.

No, see, collectors want more of the things they like to collect. And then there's assholes like you...
I'm so sure every collector wakes up in the morning thinking "boy I sure hate having a easy life and a complete set, I wish a few dozen nobodies would come along and make a bunch of hard to get games in small quantities in the region I'm collecting so there is a risk of having a permanent incomplete set so it can be more exciting. Even better if it's on a system that's been EOL and discontinued for several years".

Nobody? No? Didn't think so.

Don't kid yourself. The gotta have em all market is exactly who all these limited release companies are targeting.

At that rate all these "me too!"s are popping up, 2/3rds of the PS4 and Vita library when it's all said and done are going to be from "limited run" companies.

It's what you demanded: a niche market for people who insisted they have to have a physical copy of a game. Of course, you could choose not to buy them but it is doubtful that will happen until you change your "gotta have them all" mentality.

This is the time where people weigh the density of their LRG collection instead of the density of their wieners for alpha male status...

It's just different.
I miss those days. I remember reading about Chrono Trigger and being so curious for what felt like years until it finally came out and playing through it with really no idea how the story would go. Those experiences are essentially impossible today and it's a shame.

I'm so sure every collector wakes up in the morning thinking "boy I sure hate having a easy life and a complete set, I wish a few dozen nobodies would come along and make a bunch of hard to get games in small quantities in the region I'm collecting so there is a risk of having a permanent incomplete set so it can be more exciting".

Nobody? No? Didn't think so.

Don't kid yourself. The gotta have em all market is exactly who all these limited release companies are targeting.
You've deluded yourself into thinking that every collector is like you and is fixated on maintaining a complete set for some twisted sense of self respect and accomplishment. You're literally in the minority of the minority here and it is absurd to expect that the market should rotate around you. Part of the fun of collecting is the fact that there is just so much out there and nobody can really have it all. Maybe it's time to set some limits for yourself or to get some badly needed counseling to get your urges under control.

You've deluded yourself into thinking that every collector is like you and is fixated on maintaining a complete set for some twisted sense of self respect and accomplishment. You're literally in the minority of the minority here and it is absurd to expect that the market should rotate around you. Part of the fun of collecting is the fact that there is just so much out there and nobody can really have it all. Maybe it's time to set some limits for yourself or to get some badly needed counseling to get your urges under control.

Pretty much this. A complete set on any gaming system has always been the biggest joke to me. So many terrible games that you purposely sought out and paid money for, hilarious. Its a signature of compulsive collecting not passion or gamer cred.

Seriously? Look around. Follow LRGs twitter even, every other reply is someone who is "10 games away from this set" or "only 30 games left to complete set for that". How many people on CAG advertise which complete sets they have in their sigs? That's not even going to any dedicated collector boards. It's more common than you want to believe.

Complete set is the ultimate goal of every collector.

Whether you acknowledge it or not, it's real, and it's what all these limited run startups are exploiting.

A long past end of life and discontinued system like Vita continuing to have physical games release which continue to sell out instantly to everyone's confusion is the perfect example. Vita is a popular target for it's small library which makes it relatively low hanging fruit for complete set chasers, which is why companies keep milking it hard and making games for a system which technically hasn't even existed in like 3 years in the US.

Pretty much this. A complete set on any gaming system has always been the biggest joke to me. So many terrible games that you purposely sought out and paid money for, hilarious. Its a signature of compulsive collecting not passion or gamer cred.
where have you been man? I've missed you. Good to see you around again.

Seriously? Look around. Follow LRGs twitter even, every other reply is someone who is "10 games away from this set" or "only 30 games left to complete set for that". How many people on CAG advertise which complete sets they have in their sigs? That's not even going to any dedicated collector boards. It's more common than you want to believe.

Complete set is the ultimate goal of every collector.

Whether you acknowledge it or not, it's real, and it's what all these limited run startups are exploiting.
Except it's not. I know many, many collectors who have been doing this for much longer than you have and the difference between a collector and a hoarder like yourself is that a collector actually curates their collection and doesn't just shovel more crap into it all the time. Sure, there are some people who are going for a complete Vita collection, but that sure isn't most collectors and it sure isn't most LRG or other niche game buyers. The "ultimate goal of every collector" is not a complete set. It's certainly not what the average LRG buyer is pursuing as one of the problems LRG identified pretty early on is that they were having trouble maintaining repeat customers. If you'll recall, that's why they went to the free box with purchase of a PS4 game and one other item. It's also why they still promote and advertise their releases every single time.

There are many, many collectors and gamers who like physical copies of just the games that they personally enjoy and are interested in and couldn't care less about grabbing them all. Stop painting others with your stereotypes and poorly informed conclusions. More options are always welcome and if collecting is really putting so much mental pressure on you that you would wake up every day and worry about missing something, it's definitely not a hobby you should continue to pursue.

where have you been man? I've missed you. Good to see you around again.

Hey buddy. I've just been lurking without posting mainly, getting my news and thats it instead of reading every post of every thread that somewhat interests me. At one point I spent more time chatting and posting on here than I did playing anything, decided to switch gears. Plus I have a little one on the way. :D/

I'm sure I was never missed by most, haha.

Actually I should be happy.  The less hardcore will be broken by too many releases or too many missed "limited run" releases and just give up.  Maybe then preorders on things will last more than 10 seconds again. Hmm.

Nah.  Too many youtube startups more than happy to replace them and take their copy for their next unboxing or hauls video.

First world problems are problems too!

Hey buddy. I've just been lurking without posting mainly, getting my news and thats it instead of reading every post of every thread that somewhat interests me. At one point I spent more time chatting and posting on here than I did playing anything, decided to switch gears. Plus I have a little one on the way. :D/

I'm sure I was never missed by most, haha.
Congrats dude. Plenty of time to play culdcept on your 3ds after the baby comes....

Dreamcast had a very solid library with very few bad games. Vita, at least when I started, had an even smaller library than the DC and the game library as a whole was pretty solid. The Vita library is now is bigger but early on a complete collection wasn't exactly that big of a reach. I think that's a big difference. it's one thing to see MetalJesusRocks show off that one dudes Wii collection and it makes me kind of laugh at all the shovelware that dude had to track down, but then show me a complete USA Dreamcast collection and I can give that props because that library was just so good. Vita gives me a similar vibe. Beyond that, I think the only thing that would really impress me would be more obscure smaller system collections. Like a complete NA tubochip TurboGrafx 16 collection.

Vita, at least when I started, had an even smaller library than the DC and the game library as a whole was pretty solid. The Vita library is now is bigger but early on a complete collection wasn't exactly that big of a reach. I think that's a big difference.
Exactly. Vita should have been done and done a long time ago. It's become a pain for people trying to move on to newer systems always having to keep an ear out for some obscure limited US Vita release many years later and all these limited run companies keep making the same game on 3+ platforms but also with 2+ cover variants. That's what I mean by exploiting.

So back to things that matter, its 1 PM PST, no update from LRG on Y's total counts or the two titles on the 15th?
I don't think we need an updated total count since they've noted that they were listing the last quantities for each platform after the pre-order period ended, which were 10 copies per platform, so from that assumptions we can say it sold to exactly what they had left, maybe a teensy bit less, but not far off from their original estimate.

There was actually a fairly long discussion prior to your post that spanned pages, so it's already been discussed in quite some detail.

As far as the next titles, nope, nothing yet. :p

I don't think we need an updated total count since they've noted that they were listing the last quantities for each platform after the pre-order period ended, which were 10 copies per platform, so from that assumptions we can say it sold to exactly what they had left, maybe a teensy bit less, but not far off from their original estimate.

There was actually a fairly long discussion prior to your post that spanned pages, so it's already been discussed in quite some detail.

As far as the next titles, nope, nothing yet. :p
Here is what they just posted on Twitter: 6,575 Vita, 8,400 PS4. This was a success on PS4 but not so much on Vita.

Here is what they just posted on Twitter: 6,575 Vita, 8,400 PS4. This was a success on PS4 but not so much on Vita.
Well even if one was more, and one was less, it pretty much becomes a wash. So the preorder just showed the PS4 numbers should have been higher, with the Vita having less, and the bulk got in to the right hands(actual fans), so that's a good thing I suppose.

I'm pretty sure CSH is the only other big name title announced so far that still hasn't released, where this preorder may be considered, but so long as the overall numbers are pretty high, they'll probably just stick to what they've been doing, but maybe they'll offer this again with some adjustments. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.

Spinning it as a failure on Vita despite selling more than there was going to be the normal way?

Even if they have to order more than the 75 they went over, this was also an experiment where they had already had a print count determined and ordered and deviated at the last minute.  A future game with preorders from the beginning would have the whole lot of 6600 ordered at once with 25 games left over for conventions and promos.

I think I saw a few people say they got the PS4 version and wish they got the Vita version too ;)

Well even if one was more, and one was less, it pretty much becomes a wash. So the preorder just showed the PS4 numbers should have been higher, with the Vita having less, and the bulk got in to the right hands(actual fans), so that's a good thing I suppose.

I'm pretty sure CSH is the only other big name title announced so far that still hasn't released, where this preorder may be considered, but so long as the overall numbers are pretty high, they'll probably just stick to what they've been doing, but maybe they'll offer this again with some adjustments. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.
Actually, both platforms exceeded the quantity they had already ordered (PS4 by 900 units and Vita by 75). The problem is that now they have to reorder the Vita and 75 is way below the Sony minimum, so they are going to have to order more and potentially take a loss on that title on that platform.

bread's done
Back