Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Sweet, I really enjoyed Thomas Was Alone. I would gladly throw some money at a physical copy of that. That's a good game for showing to other people.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who buys all of the releases for collecting purposes, I'm not pleased with the choice of Thomas Was Alone.   I hope LRG will focus on higher quality releases in the future.  Rather than $9.99 digital games that have sold for as little as $1 and that I got for free years ago through PS+.

I hope LRG will focus on higher quality releases in the future.
From the sound of it, you're more concerned with monetary value than actual quality. I thoroughly enjoyed Thomas Was Alone. It was a very well-designed game. I would argue that it was of very high quality. The fact that it isn't particularly expensive at present in digital format has no real bearing on its merit as a game.

I understand your argument. You already have the game digitally, and feel less need to own a physical copy of it. And the choice of this title means a title that you might have preferred will have to wait. But I don't think it really fair to besmirch the quality of Thomas Was Alone based on this preference. The collector's value of the title is what I think you are actually concerned with.

I'd like to see more things on the lines of Axiom Verge, Hyper Light Drifter, or Azure Striker Gunvolt.   That kind of thing.   Rainbow Moon and Dragon Fantasy were both also very good choices for games we'd like to see immortalized.  I want games that are notable for their amazing soundtracks, art design, or strong genre aesthetic. 

I want games that are notable for their amazing soundtracks, art design, or strong genre aesthetic.
...have you played Thomas Was Alone? It is a simple concept, but the execution on that game is excellent. Despite the simple shapes it's comprised of, the art design and atmosphere in that game are quite excellent. And the general design of the game is spot-on. It has that Portal vibe where the game is able to guide the player seamlessly through learning the basic mechanics of what you are trying to do without holding their hand constantly.

A lot of this boils down to personal preference, but I'm quite happy to have Thomas Was Alone on the physical release list. It is one game that I am quite eager to put on my shelf, and have archived for future play sessions. I would love to have the other games you mentioned as well, but having played through Thomas, I don't have any objection to this choice.

The Extra Credits crew do a better job of describing this game's qualities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnWuIGq2CM

I havent played any of the 3 up now.

Anyone have an opinion on which ones are worth playing? Im considering thomas, seemed to have good reviews.

I'd like to see more things on the lines of Axiom Verge, Hyper Light Drifter, or Azure Striker Gunvolt. That kind of thing. Rainbow Moon and Dragon Fantasy were both also very good choices for games we'd like to see immortalized. I want games that are notable for their amazing soundtracks, art design, or strong genre aesthetic.
You are in luck Azure Striker Gunvolt is getting a physical release next month! I'd personally like to see the game make it's way to Vita was enhanced graphics at some point, but I am getting the 3DS release of this next month, you get the sequel along with the original game.

I'd like to see more things on the lines of Axiom Verge, Hyper Light Drifter, or Azure Striker Gunvolt. That kind of thing. Rainbow Moon and Dragon Fantasy were both also very good choices for games we'd like to see immortalized. I want games that are notable for their amazing soundtracks, art design, or strong genre aesthetic.
I'm glad we are getting Azure Striker Gunvolt bundled with the second game published by Yacht Club Games. I preordered it at Amazon. The demo of the first game sold me on waiting for the bundle physical version.

A agree with you on quality. To me a bite sized game like Thomas Was Alone is a one time play through kind of thing. I like short games but for physical games they need some meat and be a really stand out experience for me to get that excited about buying them.

...have you played Thomas Was Alone?
Yes. I put it down after about 30 minutes. I thought it was weak, overhyped arthouse nonsense Richard Kain. It was a standard puzzle game at best.

Is it odd that I didn't get emotional over the storybook telling of a pixelated cube? No, it is not. and this is not even the discussion we are having here since opinions of a particular game can be entirely subjective. I am well aware that many people enjoyed this game and that's fine.

Yes. I put it down after about 30 minutes. I thought it was weak, overhyped arthouse nonsense Richard Kain. It was a standard puzzle game at best.

Is it odd that I didn't get emotional over the storybook telling of a pixelated cube? No, it is not. and this is not even the discussion we are having here since opinions of a particular game can be entirely subjective. I am well aware that many people enjoyed this game and that's fine.
I really liked Thomas Was Alone personally but I agree with you that charging $30 after shipping is way too much. The game is so short and most people already have it free from plus.

Axiom verge would be a good one. I also know it could never happen but I wish Sound Shapes would have gotten a physical release for vita. Love that game

(shrug) Oh well. More copies for me I suppose.
Nonsense. It's not more copies for you. The most liberal benefit example would be that it's one less person to have fought the website against to get your copy. Though it's not really even that if they weren't ever going to show up in the first place. You'll still have to compete with the mass of resellers disguised as gamers and the actual gamers that want a copy of the game.

Not excited about Thomas Was Alone. Not a game that particularly lacked anything but not a game that really possessed much either. I understand that a lot of people found it to be very engaging but I just never got on board. More copies for the people who liked it and more money I save for other things I want.

The most liberal benefit example would be that it's one less person to have fought the website against to get your copy. Though it's not really even that if they weren't ever going to show up in the first place. You'll still have to compete with the mass of resellers disguised as gamers and the actual gamers that want a copy of the game.
(shrug) I'm okay with that as well. From the sound of the crowd here, there will be significantly less competition over Thomas. I'd say the enthusiasm from this community in particular is a decent barometer for what the demand for individual titles will be. And going on that, I'd say the reception to Thomas Was Alone is tepid at best.

And it seems to me that a lot of the more rabid re-sellers got burned pretty badly on the Rainbow Moon release. A lot of them probably found themselves stuck with copies that they couldn't flip for more than the original price. It doesn't take re-sellers long to get gun-shy over getting stuck with product that they can't move. I've got a feeling that any re-sellers who show up for these next releases are at least going to be smart enough to do their homework first. I'd expect a decently strong presence of re-sellers for the two JRPG-style titles, but Thomas Was Alone won't get hit nearly as hard.

No problem for me, it will make the acquisition of my copies easier. I will be able to focus on getting the more difficult One Way Heroics first, and then select Thomas at my leisure.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Dragon Fantasy. I like it's old school JRPG look/feel but reviews for the game aren't too great... Mystery Chronicle looks too much like a dungeon crawler, something I'm not super fond of.
I am getting dragon fantasy and thomas was alone

(shrug) I'm okay with that as well. From the sound of the crowd here, there will be significantly less competition over Thomas. I'd say the enthusiasm from this community in particular is a decent barometer for what the demand for individual titles will be. And going on that, I'd say the reception to Thomas Was Alone is tepid at best.

And it seems to me that a lot of the more rabid re-sellers got burned pretty badly on the Rainbow Moon release. A lot of them probably found themselves stuck with copies that they couldn't flip for more than the original price. It doesn't take re-sellers long to get gun-shy over getting stuck with product that they can't move. I've got a feeling that any re-sellers who show up for these next releases are at least going to be smart enough to do their homework first. I'd expect a decently strong presence of re-sellers for the two JRPG-style titles, but Thomas Was Alone won't get hit nearly as hard.

No problem for me, it will make the acquisition of my copies easier. I will be able to focus on getting the more difficult One Way Heroics first, and then select Thomas at my leisure.
Im going for thomas was alone =) ill be on before it goes live! Game on!

Didn't LRG say they would have some SMRPG leftovers going up too or am I crazy? Did they ever say how many, what system or when? 

Didn't LRG say they would have some SMRPG leftovers going up too or am I crazy? Did they ever say how many, what system or when?
They didn't really give anything concrete.

They actually talked about the SMRPG bundles a few releases ago as well, and mentioned they might release those then, but ended up with no bundles, so we'll have to see how they do it this time.

With Black Friday getting closer and closer, they may just decide to hold out and release it then since they probably still need to have something to sell on Black Friday as most games will be super low quantity anyways, so the bigger the selection the better.

Yes, Limited Run posted this on a thread on NeoGaf this morning:

But oh man tomorrow is a big day! Dragon Fantasy, SMRPG Vinyls, and some SMRPG games at a random time?!

Yes, Limited Run posted this on a thread on NeoGaf this morning:

But oh man tomorrow is a big day! Dragon Fantasy, SMRPG Vinyls, and some SMRPG games at a random time?!
Random time? I hope that just means either the morning or afternoon batch, and not like... literally random.

Pretty sure random time means not the morning or afternoon batch.
I would think the same thing, but maybe it will be one or the other, but I'm voting for just random times through out the day.

Honestly, I would rather it be "random", as I'm home most days, and my chances would be better refreshing all day, then trying to get one at a set time with tons of other interested parties.

I would think the same thing, but maybe it will be one or the other, but I'm voting for just random times through out the day.

Honestly, I would rather it be "random", as I'm home most days, and my chances would be better refreshing all day, then trying to get one at a set time with tons of other interested parties.
Except that everyone else will be doing the same thing... even if they're not home. LRG is a simple site, very mobile/data friendly.

EDIT* Just got the email which says this:

A bundle with some of our last remaining copies of Saturday Morning RPG for PS4 and Vita is slated to be available as well. Please make sure to watch our website and our Twitter feed for announcements on availability.

So we might get a heads up, at least. SMRPG Vinyl goes live half hour after Dragon Fantasy too, was hoping it would be the same time.

So are they going to make me buy the vinyl if I waNt SMRPG?

I hope not.

I probably have to pay separare shipping either way

Just now saw the poll.

Hell yes I'd sign up and pay $30 to not have to get yanked awake at 6:50 AM in order to freak out every few weeks.  It's *EXTREMELY* stressful.  Wish I saw the poll earlier.

Just now saw the poll.

Hell yes I'd sign up and pay $30 to not have to get yanked awake at 6:50 AM in order to freak out every few weeks. It's *EXTREMELY* stressful. Wish I saw the poll earlier.
I still wish they'd gone for it. I hate the stress even though I have got one every time in the morning batch. I'd have to take work off to get the second batch if I missed out and between the money I'm spending and the money I'd be losing calling in, that's a hell of a stressful Friday afternoon.

According to a friend of mine, theres a gaming store about 30 minutes from here has a copy of Saturday Morning RPG on Vita for $50. I'm tempted to pick it up but at the same time, I want to get that vinyl bundle.

Also, they said on the livestream its 30 for ps4 and 30 for vita for the vinyl bundles.

From the listing:

" This game has a hole punch on the barcode on the paper cover insert on the back of the game (can be seen in the 4th picture), though hole punches like this are common with some games and the punch occurred prior to being factory sealed and won't effect anything other than the paper cover insert. "

Sounds like someone is trying to sell one of the promotional copies LRG gave out, which is usually a big No-No. Honestly, I'm not sure why they give out copies of their games. Their following is so big now that they really don't seem to need the promotion that free copies would give.

From the listing:

" This game has a hole punch on the barcode on the paper cover insert on the back of the game (can be seen in the 4th picture), though hole punches like this are common with some games and the punch occurred prior to being factory sealed and won't effect anything other than the paper cover insert. "

Sounds like someone is trying to sell one of the promotional copies LRG gave out, which is usually a big No-No. Honestly, I'm not sure why they give out copies of their games. Their following is so big now that they really don't seem to need the promotion that free copies would give.
as LRG has stated, Sony requires them to give out some copies to Sony Employees for Q&A reasons.

as LRG has stated, Sony requires them to give out some copies to Sony Employees for Q&A reasons.
However, as part of their contract, they're not allowed to resell those copies, so feel free to report that listing to LRG. :D

It appears all of the games this guy sells has hole punches though, so not sure if he's a reviewer, or exactly how he obtains these games.

I'm glad One Way Heroics has a demo up on PSN, because I didn't find it all that fun and now I know I can skip buying a physical copy to keep.

According to a friend of mine, theres a gaming store about 30 minutes from here has a copy of Saturday Morning RPG on Vita for $50. I'm tempted to pick it up but at the same time, I want to get that vinyl bundle.

Also, they said on the livestream its 30 for ps4 and 30 for vita for the vinyl bundles.
Thanks for the info. Probably gonna pass those numbers.

However, as part of their contract, they're not allowed to resell those copies, so feel free to report that listing to LRG. :D

It appears all of the games this guy sells has hole punches though, so not sure if he's a reviewer, or exactly how he obtains these games.
I doubt there's much they can do about it. I'm guessing they had to give out dozens of copies, could be any one who's selling theirs.

From the listing:

Maybe metal jesus themasterj hmmmmmmm.......i never thought they should get them in the first place

Still salty that MetalJesusRocks got a fking promotional copy? LRG could do whatever they want with the 100ish copies they keep.

They have no control over the other copies they have to give to Sony for quality control. They even told Sony about it and Sony didn't do shit.

Still salty that MetalJesusRocks got a fking promotional copy? LRG could do whatever they want with the 100ish copies they keep.

They have no control over the other copies they have to give to Sony for quality control. They even told Sony about it and Sony didn't do shit.
Jealous not by a long shot if anything i feel bad for him.....

Why are you salty MJR received a promotional copy? He's not selling his copies and provides great video content for free on YouTube, including videos on the LRG releases. I personally really enjoy his content and am glad he's found success in doing what he does, dude also comes across a genuine great guy, so I am happy he's able to receive promotional copies so that he can continue putting out great content on LRG games among everything else he does.

Is there an actual story in thomas was alone? I keep seeing people mention one, but all Ive seen its just a puzzle game. Or are all the reviews talking about a story just being sarcastic?

Why are you salty MJR received a promotional copy? He's not selling his copies and provides great video content for free on YouTube, including videos on the LRG releases. I personally really enjoy his content and am glad he's found success in doing what he does, dude also comes across a genuine great guy, so I am happy he's able to receive promotional copies so that he can continue putting out great content on LRG games among everything else he does.
My thoughts exactly. I highly doubt MJR is selling off any of his games. He seems to be a genuine collector and has good content. He did a recent video with Kelsey on spotting fake games that was really good.

bread's done
Back