Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Has anything been said recently about a bonus for anyone that has a complete Vita collection? I never saw an original quote about that, so wasn't sure if it was true.

Someone explain why Celeste is a godlike game ppl praise. I played the digital vs and man it sucks balls. Its just meat boy which I don't like. Its aimless rooms with no progression path or real story. I get no fun or joy going thru rooms.
PREACH

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

it looks like the next vita release will be metal slug 3 on 7/12/19

https://limitedrungames.com/pages/upcoming-releases
I'm still confused by this release, especially when the Anthology is available on PSN. And as far as I know, there isn't anything added to this release like 'King of Fighters '97' or 'Samurai Shodown V Special,' is there? They could've at least gone with something a little newer like 'Metal Slug XX.' The whole point is to "preserve" otherwise digital only games.

I'm still confused by this release, especially when the Anthology is available on PSN. And as far as I know, there isn't anything added to this release like 'King of Fighters '97' or 'Samurai Shodown V Special,' is there? They could've at least gone with something a little newer like 'Metal Slug XX.' The whole point is to "preserve" otherwise digital only games.
I nominate you to speak at the town hall meeting. :grouphug:

On the released list of VITA's last stand, MS3 might be the biggest headscratcher of all.

Depends which version of metal slug 3 this is. The ACA version supposedly was recoded for ps4 and has online leaderboards & difficulty settings. The other non-ACA MS3 has online co op play & online leaderboards.

I've heard the ACA versions of metal slug are better because they don't have input lag. I have anthology & MS XX on ps4 and they have noticeable input lag unfortunately.

It could also been the case where LRG was going to release each game individually (before vita cart ending news) to make snk more money as that might of been the only way they let them do it. LRG said the same thing about some other series recently.
Also mentioned how $60 was a tough price point for them to sell even for compilations, that's why they prefer to sell lower priced individual games.

Has anything been said recently about a bonus for anyone that has a complete Vita collection? I never saw an original quote about that, so wasn't sure if it was true.
In the last fireside chat they said they weren't going to talk about it for a while and Josh expressed annoyance about the quantity of questions. Part of me thinks they put Papers Please in 2020 just to avoid having to deal with the full set game until then.

Depends which version of metal slug 3 this is. The ACA version supposedly was recoded for ps4 and has online leaderboards & difficulty settings. The other non-ACA MS3 has online co op play & online leaderboards.

I've heard the ACA versions of metal slug are better because they don't have input lag. I have anthology & MS XX on ps4 and they have noticeable input lag unfortunately.

It could also been the case where LRG was going to release each game individually (before vita cart ending news) to make snk more money as that might of been the only way they let them do it. LRG said the same thing about some other series recently.
Ah that could be the case, but then the question is: was MS3 the only one ready to go, or could they have chosen which entry?

It'd be nice to know which release people are buying before people buy them. But why help the consumer...

when they announce the day something goes up for order, what time that day does it actually show up on the website?

id really like some help with this to avoid getting scalped. ive been reading and you guys say it takes one minute for copies to run out, im trying to get a copy of star wars, and that seems like precisely the kind of thing people would mindlessly order in 30 seconds.

any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

e1667e93cd1b463431bfc21afe95ec42.jpg

I wasn't planning on buying their glorified reproductions... but this looks slick as hell.

That's actually really cool.   Super smart of them to package the games inside a blister card for collectors like that. 

Fig collectors pay $29.99+ all the time without a second thought. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't planning on buying their glorified reproductions... but this looks slick as hell.
I was planning on it, but I don't like the packaging at all. I don't get it. I mean, I get it, but these aren't retro action figures. I actually assumed they'd be releasing these in NES/GB packaging. You know, the things nostalgic video game collectors might be into. This "game on action figure card" thing doesn't work at all, IMO. The NES cart almost completely obscures the card art!

For me, this is a new low in packaging and a huge misstep (can they ever have missteps if these inevitably sell out?). But, they saved me plenty of money.

Now I'm nervous about what they are going to do with Monkey Island. I just want replica boxes - maybe with some higher quality (embossing/spot gloss).

Yeah that packaging isn't my style at all. It looks cheap. I'd rather prefer cardboard boxes like the originals even if they weren't perfect.

when they announce the day something goes up for order, what time that day does it actually show up on the website?

id really like some help with this to avoid getting scalped. ive been reading and you guys say it takes one minute for copies to run out, im trying to get a copy of star wars, and that seems like precisely the kind of thing people would mindlessly order in 30 seconds.

any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sales are 10 AM & 6 PM US Eastern Time. There's a countdown on each product page on the site if you're not sure what the regional equivalent is.

Except for their VR releases (which happen Wednesdays), all of their new releases go up on Fridays. Star Wars is this Friday (6/28).

Uh, cool way to keep cost down on box reproductions I guess, but I had no plans to buy old SW games either way. But for those who may be in the market, more power to all involved, as I'm guessing these will sell to somebody someplace who has an interest, it's just not me.

Star Wars on NES, cartridge only goes for $10 or so.  I remember game stores having  used games in the same type of cheap packaging. Minus the Star Wars branding obviously. 

I like the packaging when it comes to the Gameboy game, but would prefer a traditional box overall with these. I do think I will buy Shadows of the Empire though. 

It's a workaround.  They're not going to spend the money to try and replicate single runs of old-style NES and GB folded cardboard packaging. 

Sure, I could see how some people would find the blister packs to be dumb or cheap.  But so is the whole idea of relaunching all of these individual old Star Wars games as a money grab.  It's whatever.  They were dumb in the first place.  And there IS a collector's market for this style of packaging.  It's way more appealing to Star Wars toys collectors than it is for video game collectors. 

Keep in mind they haven't locked in manufacturing on either cart yet.  They are talking with retrobit for it though.  It's in a response by Josh in the announcement tweet.  It's interesting they are offering to sells stuff before it's completely finished (like Skull Girls & Power Ranger) it's another when they don't even have a manufacturer lined up yet.

Shipping those star wars games in blister packaging is going to create some major issues unless they are boxing them before stuffing them into the bubble envelopes.  I can already imagine the complaints will be off the charts for damaged cards.

Thankfully I'm not interested in any of the classic repro games.  Heck I still have my TieFighter, Dark Forces, Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith, .. and other games in their original boxes.   If I were to display something, the originals would be more interesting to look at since the art is much better.

It's a workaround. They're not going to spend the money to try and replicate single runs of old-style NES and GB folded cardboard packaging.

Sure, I could see how some people would find the blister packs to be dumb or cheap. But so is the whole idea of relaunching all of these individual old Star Wars games as a money grab. It's whatever. They were dumb in the first place. And there IS a collector's market for this style of packaging. It's way more appealing to Star Wars toys collectors than it is for video game collectors.
You're saying they won't spend money to replicate old style NES and GB folded cardboard packaging? Seriously? They've already done it.

Makes sense to target Star Wars "toys collectors" with video games. If LRG can now get people to buy anything they put in a blister pack, they really are on their way to world domination.

Shipping those star wars games in blister packaging is going to create some major issues unless they are boxing them before stuffing them into the bubble envelopes. I can already imagine the complaints will be off the charts for damaged cards.
Especially when they actually are calling this line "mint on sealed card". haha..... They are just asking for trouble. They should've targeted "VF+ on card".

Keep in mind they haven't locked in manufacturing on either cart yet. They are talking with retrobit for it though. It's in a response by Josh in the announcement tweet. It's interesting they are offering to sells stuff before it's completely finished (like Skull Girls & Power Ranger) it's another when they don't even have a manufacturer lined up yet.

Shipping those star wars games in blister packaging is going to create some major issues unless they are boxing them before stuffing them into the bubble envelopes. I can already imagine the complaints will be off the charts for damaged cards.

Thankfully I'm not interested in any of the classic repro games. Heck I still have my TieFighter, Dark Forces, Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith, .. and other games in their original boxes. If I were to display something, the originals would be more interesting to look at since the art is much better.
Between the vendor selection, contract, and manufacturing delays I'd be surprised if these came out in 2019.

Not to mention the condition aspect. Even though LRG normally does an okay job shipping when they use boxes, Star Wars collectors are very, very particular about condition.

I just can't see this going well for them. If I were in their shoes I'd at least want to see some proofs before marketing and selling six figures of product.

These are cheap ass knockoff repro carts in blisters, no way im buying. People are better off buying original CIB games.

Someone explain why Celeste is a godlike game ppl praise. I played the digital vs and man it sucks balls. Its just meat boy which I don't like. Its aimless rooms with no progression path or real story. I get no fun or joy going thru rooms.
Yeah, I bought Celeste NS before playing it because of all the hype and I played it a bit recently and all I could think was this is just another super hard game with retro graphics and pretty music. It wasn't a bad game, but it's getting to the point where these types of games are like Madden-esque releases with a different color scheme. Maybe I don't get it because I'm super good at or super into insanely hard games but I just didn't see the immediate appeal.

These are cheap ass knockoff repro carts in blisters, no way im buying. People are better off buying original CIB games.
I'm curious as to what the quality of the carts will be... the packaging looks really dumb, IMO. I only have a few repro's and it's amazing how bad some repros are these days. My first repro was a TimeWalkGames release where they used original SNES carts that were repainted and I think they used actual SNES game PBCs that were flashed them with a different ROM. I wish I bought more of their releases since the quality was amazing (but also pricey as hell). But now, there are mass produced shells and PCB boards and the quality is so bad... but they're cheap I guess. I don't get the blaster packs to be honest... I can't imagine it's that expense to have a NES/SNES or GB style box made.

I'm pretty sure you could find the Game Boy games CIB for less than what LRG is charging for the repros without too much trouble. They're stupidly common. It's like iam8bit with their repro Mega Man and Street Fighter carts. I don't get it, but if people keep buying them then hey, go for it.

Makes sense to target Star Wars "toys collectors" with video games.
I've been around some serious SW toy collectors, the ones that aren't into videogames won't be buying videogames. The ones that are, tend to be deep into original art and production runs and they frown HEAVILY on anything reproduction. I'm not sure this is even for Toy Collectors. Especially at $30+Shipping each.

It'll be interesting to see how this venture goes.

I'm pretty sure you could find the Game Boy games CIB for less than what LRG is charging for the repros without too much trouble. They're stupidly common. It's like iam8bit with their repro Mega Man and Street Fighter carts. I don't get it, but if people keep buying them then hey, go for it.
yah the star wars Gameboy version was part of the player choice million seller line

Game Boy Star Wars is going for $2 on eBay. I know because I am selling a copy right now 😅

I don’t get it. If they were selling a version of the game on a system that didn’t carry it before like Star Wars Bounty Hunter on PS4 or something unique on an old system like GALF for NES, I would be open to it. Bounty Hunter on Friday is definitely a must purchase for me since I really enjoyed the game and the new trophy support makes it worthwhile to me. I’ll be replacing my GameCube version with it.

The Star Wars games on NES and Game Boy are just not rare titles commanding large dollar amounts. I know LRG has not released pricing yet, but I can’t imagine these selling out. The packaging just doesn’t seem worth the a high dollar value. Why not buy the originals?

Since you mentioned it. here is a screengrab of those exact games going for MORE than the original MIB.

kej75w.png

the star wars stuff is the stupidest shit LRG has ever released and should really be the defining point for y'all that this company is purely looking to profit on OCD collectors and isn't at all sticking to trying to preserve games, c'mon

Got my Switch Toejam and Earl BITG today from the last restock they did. This is my first Limited Run game, so curious about the cards. I know each game they make comes with a corresponding trading card, I thought I read something that there are variants, or am I making that up?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Since you mentioned it. here is a screengrab of those exact games going for MORE than the original MIB.

kej75w.png
Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but what something is priced at, and what it actually sells for are 2 different things. Non graded copies have sold for less than cost on ebay. You'd have to be insane to pay that for graded repros.

(nonsense VGA pic here)
I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic, but I responded serious accusations against VGA.

Did you just post a pic of a company with about half-a-dozen plus issues grading games? Yes, some idiots buy them for dumb prices, but here are just a few problems they have had since inception: 1. Expensive and inconsistent pricing, 2. Unusual grading policy on new titles, 3. Grades repros as authentic--both carts and CDs, 4. Doesn't properly inspect "factory seals" to ensure are authentic, 5. Almost zero consistency or credibility on used titles--especially CD-based ones, 6. Casing / slabbing / whatever you want to call it is done improperly by them.

VGA is a joke, but it is a wonderful scam. I used to live down the street from the original office. They are retards, but were apparently geniuses in marketing. I wish I would have thought of it.

Geez. For the last time, this is not LRG fault, it's the Blu-ray case design. I've gotten PS4 games from many different outlets that have had the disc loose inside.
No, really, it is LRG's fault most of the time. If I receive games packed in a box, then I have gotten zero loose discs from them. Everytime they use a mailer, I always get a loose one.

This goes for other resellers as well. I am sure some of them come from the distributor loose, but it's not likely to be prevalent because they arrive in boxed cases that are then put into another large box. The resellers repack these in shitass mailers and create floaters.

Ah, so we're back on the lose disc discussion again uh? So is it "chrisz300zx" time again, as he hasn't gotten much love here lately, and these "dead horse" discussions are the best, as they never seem to END(or go anyplace NEW)! 

I would have thought getting a license to offer anything "Star Wars" would be a big deal to anyone, as that isn't something easy to acquire, but I guess getting ones foot in said door was a "mistake", as they are only offering old games no one wants I suppose(or at least that's what I'm seeing here). I guess offering something OK today is a fools errand, as why would anyone want a meaningful relationship with Disney/Lucas Arts in the future? I mean no one want's anything these places have offered in the past, present, or future?

When they announced all those Star Wars titles my head was spinning. I was like they're finally going to make a next generation compilation or a few of old Star Wars titles. I was excited until I see they're just physical reproductions. Not excited especially since I don't own half the systems anymore or never take them out of boxes in the closet. I'm sure someone will buy these.

I also think i'm finally up to date on my LRG games. Got my Toejam and Earl Switch game and Koihime fighting game. Feels good honestly. My last purchases for a while unless they decide to release some more VNs. Just waiting for the 2 Damascus Gear games.

No, really, it is LRG's fault most of the time. If I receive games packed in a box, then I have gotten zero loose discs from them. Everytime they use a mailer, I always get a loose one.

This goes for other resellers as well. I am sure some of them come from the distributor loose, but it's not likely to be prevalent because they arrive in boxed cases that are then put into another large box. The resellers repack these in shitass mailers and create floaters.
correlation does not imply causation.

not defending LRG here, but just because you've never received a loose disc when games were shipped in a box, does not mean everyone else doesn't either. for relevance, I get lots of games from BBY shipped in bubble mailers and don't get loose discs most of the time.

When they announced all those Star Wars titles my head was spinning. I was like they're finally going to make a next generation compilation or a few of old Star Wars titles. I was excited until I see they're just physical reproductions.
This was my same reaction. I was excited to play some old games on current hardware and then they pull the physical reproductions card.

I have most of these old games already in my collection and have no interest in buying reproductions. I was hoping I could play some Shadows of the Empire or Dark Forces on PS4 or Switch. That would have been peeked my interest and been exciting news.

the star wars stuff is the stupidest shit LRG has ever released and should really be the defining point for y'all that this company is purely looking to profit on OCD collectors and isn't at all sticking to trying to preserve games, c'mon
For what it's worth, they did address that point on the latest fireside chat. They said their company has always been about "making cool shit that they'd want to have as collectors". Not an exact quote, but close. At least they're owning up to the repositioning now.

CE's are generally a poor value given the cost of what comes in them, but these Star Wars CE's are taking things to a new level.

bread's done
Back