Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1383094112975519747?s=20
Fuuuuuuuuuck. I knew it would happen, and it's a pretty good collector's edition (as a NGPC fan that has a complete US+ collection, I really dig using that style for the larger box), but I didn't want it to happen here. I guess we'll see what the price is...

Fuuuuuuuuuck. I knew it would happen, and it's a pretty good collector's edition (as a NGPC fan that has a complete US+ collection, I really dig using that style for the larger box), but I didn't want it to happen here. I guess we'll see what the price is...
That little "NGPC Works" book by Jeremy Parish is going to get me. I hope it's available to buy separately.

The NEOGEO POCKET COLOR SELECTION - Vol. 1 Collector's edition is probably the first one I may have interest in in a long time. I loved the NeoGeo Pocket and still have mine but I'm sure this will be priced way too high and I will just buy the standard release. The digital release is $40. I expect the standard to be $50 and the collectors to be between $80-$100 which is too much for me.

I will probably grab the standard release with the standard release of Battle Axe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The NEOGEO POCKET COLOR SELECTION - Vol. 1 Collector's edition is probably the first one I may have interest in in a long time. I loved the NeoGeo Pocket and still have mine but I'm sure this will be priced way too high and I will just buy the standard release. The digital release is $40. I expect the standard to be $50 and the collectors to be between $80-$100 which is too much for me.

I will probably grab the standard release with the standard release of Battle Axe.
PS4 version please.

Think about it. What's the actual benefit of Nintendo crowing about "timed" exclusivity? And how many of these "timed" exclusives is Nintendo actually paying for? I think it a lot more likely that developers are simply prioritizing their Switch ports. And I don't think this prioritization is happening because of money or contracts. It's just simple economics.

The Switch has a sizable install base, and brisk software sales. End of explanation. The metrics likely support that a Switch port will be more profitable, and less costly then an equivalent port on XBox or Playstation platforms. The hardware for the Switch is more modest, but it's also based off of the same basic architecture as most mobile devices. ARM development is not exactly costly or uncommon in this day and age. If you can optimize your game to run decently on the average mobile phone, it will run fine on the Switch. And given the Switch's older and weaker hardware, the resolution and framerate expectations are not nearly as severe.

If Nintendo doesn't have contracts with most of these companies, then there really isn't anything to crow about. Claiming timed exclusivity seems churlish, especially if it causes backlash. With no ink on the page, too much of a community outcry could end up changing decisions at some developers. If a developer thinks that their fans would be more demanding of port on a different platform, then maybe they would shift their priorities, and that timed exclusivity could disappear. Why risk it?
Nintendo paid six million for Monster Hunter timed exclusivity, so clearly they do care and are paying (at least in some cases): https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/12/nintendo_paid_around_usd6_million_for_monster_hunter_rises_timed_exclusivity_on_switch

The benefit of timed exclusivity is that they make a cut of every sale on their platform, and if people are only able to get it on their platform they make more money. Monster Hunter sold over 5M units and they get 30% of every sale, they've already recouped their money on that deal and then some. That's simple economics.

I will give you, there's no reason for them to tout or even disclose when something is/isn't timed exclusivity. Slapping a "timed exclusive" label on things would only encourage people to wait and deter sales of the impatient. I also know for a fact that a lot of exclusivity agreements are NDA'd, so the devs/pubs wouldn't be advertising it either.

I don't think every game that comes out first on Switch is a timed exclusivity agreement and I highly doubt that other devs are getting anywhere near Monster Hunter's $6M. Development often targets the low-end hardware first, and in modern gaming that's the Switch. However, when games consistently come out six months later for other platforms and that aligns with Nintendo's rumored/leaked timed exclusivity window the dots start to connect.

Sam & Max apparently had some jokes removed from the remaster. Yay for everyone being offended by everything these days.

Pix'n Love is doing a European release too, but that book in LRG's CE is dealbreaker for me. And in fairness, they hired Jeremy Parish and paid him to do Jeremy Parish things--even non-LRG related things, it seems--so I'm okay if they use his work to drive sales of their version over the others. I'm just really afraid of what the price is going to be on that thing.

Anyway, the Pix'n Love version isn't up yet, but I'll try to remember to post a link when it is. Also releases on the 22nd.

Gosh, LRG just keeps churning out the releases, week after week.  At this point no one should be considering them a small publisher anymore.  In fact, the opposite is true.  They are, by far, the largest publisher on Switch, Vita, and PS4 by number of unique releases.  Heck, every week they seem to put out 2-4 new games and no other publisher is even close with that volume.  Most are lucky to get 1-2 games out each month.

They've been the largest sku publisher for a long time... though I imagine their actual units/copies produced in total put them more comparable with maybe Sodesco, NISA, and other more niche publishers.

They've been the largest sku publisher for a long time... though I imagine their actual units/copies produced in total put them more comparable with maybe Sodesco, NISA, and other more niche publishers.
Given how low-run some of the NISA stuff has been I think they've probably even passed them. And Sodesco used to have very low runs too - not sure I know what they've released recently.

If they list two games a week and sell 2k units of each then they're selling a bare minimum of 400k games a year. Considering we know that Scott Pilgrim and Shantae each sold upward of 40k units and they release more than two games some weeks I'd wager that 600k is a more safe minimum "educated guess" and 750k approaches likelihood.

They announce a lot of games but their announce to release ratio, as seen in this thread, is terrible. They're a bloated company. All it would take is a few major releases not reaching their funding goal and their business would go under easily. Why? Because they fund current releases with the money people use to preorder further ahead releases.

I'd wager that 600k is a more safe minimum "educated guess" and 750k approaches likelihood.
That's still well below a single major game released by Ubisoft or most of the other big publishers... which is why I'd put LRG at the bottom of the market with the smaller niche publishers.

Interesting how they can announce Jay & Silent Bob: Mall Brawl for the PS4 today, and have it in-hand already, but every other game requires more than six months to finally receive...

Interesting how they can announce Jay & Silent Bob: Mall Brawl for the PS4 today, and have it in-hand already, but every other game requires more than six months to finally receive...
That was a mistake and they've since updated it.

Multi-million dollar company, folks.

Is anyone buying these random Game Boy games?
I bought Shantae, Amazing Penguin and Return of the Ninja. Shantae I already have the original but I'm a big fan of the series. Return of the Ninja I bought because it looked cool. Amazing Penguin I bought bc I needed a filler to hit $100 on Paypal credit.LOL

Production Status changed to On Deck: 
Titles by Production Status:
  • In Production: 191 (95.0%)
  • On Deck: 10 (5.0%)

Titles by Estimated Ship Date:
  • TBD: 129 (64.2%)
  • Q2 2021: 25 (12.4%)
  • Q1 2021: 15 (7.5%)
  • April 2021: 8 (4.0%)
  • June 2021: 5 (2.5%)
  • May 2021: 4 (2.0%)
  • Q4 2020: 2 (1.0%)
  • 2021: 2 (1.0%)
  • Q3 2021: 1 (0.5%)

i am going to pick up StarHawk since it was never released in the US
Interesting. Didn't know that. Probably one of the better reasons to pick up one of their GB releases. Shantae I understood since it is hard to find.

They have to give Jay and Silent Bob release 420 ...
LRG numbered it #420 though it seems they're actually around release #403 ...

Does anyone know if that Blasphemous "deluxe edition" contains the fully updated version of the game? They patched the game up quite a bit after launch and added some new content. My five minutes of Googling for the answer turned up inconclusive results lol.

Estimated Ship Date changed to May 2021:Estimated Ship Date changed to Q2 2021:Production Status changed to On Deck: 
Titles by Production Status:
  • In Production: 190 (95.5%)
  • On Deck: 9 (4.5%)

Titles by Estimated Ship Date:
  • TBD: 110 (55.3%)
  • Q2 2021: 50 (25.1%)
  • May 2021: 13 (6.5%)
  • Q1 2021: 9 (4.5%)
  • April 2021: 3 (1.5%)
  • Q4 2020: 2 (1.0%)
  • 2021: 2 (1.0%)
  • June 2021: 1 (0.5%)

Does anyone know if that Blasphemous "deluxe edition" contains the fully updated version of the game? They patched the game up quite a bit after launch and added some new content. My five minutes of Googling for the answer turned up inconclusive results lol.
Yes, up to date patches and all DLC

LRG has finally listed their NGPC Selection Volume 1 releases and they are actually quite reasonably priced.  The standard is $39.99 (same as digital) and the CE is only $69.99 (about $30 less than I was expecting).  I will gladly pay $30 extra for the steelbook and retrospective book.

I do think the pricing is reasonable because they likely weren't involved with it since it is a distributed title.  Either way, it makes it an easy purchase.

Also, it looks like Bug Fables (Switch) and Doom Classic Collection (Switch and PS4) will be carried by Best Buy.

LRG has finally listed their NGPC Selection Volume 1 releases and they are actually quite reasonably priced. The standard is $39.99 (same as digital) and the CE is only $69.99 (about $30 less than I was expecting). I will gladly pay $30 extra for the steelbook and retrospective book.

I do think the pricing is reasonable because they likely weren't involved with it since it is a distributed title. Either way, it makes it an easy purchase.

Also, it looks like Bug Fables (Switch) and Doom Classic Collection (Switch and PS4) will be carried by Best Buy.
Yes I was very surprised by the pricing for both. I will actually pick up the collectors edition.

Bug Fables being offered at Best Buy is also great because that means I'm not buying it direct and I will wait.

Was breaking down an order from Limited Run today and just realized they're charging sales tax on shipping costs in addition to item costs.  Couldn't figure out why the sales tax number was off until it finally hit me. Kind of blew my mind. Do other sites do this as well?

Was breaking down an order from Limited Run today and just realized they're charging sales tax on shipping costs in addition to item costs. Couldn't figure out why the sales tax number was off until it finally hit me. Kind of blew my mind. Do other sites do this as well?
Nope. This has been an issue for me as well. I noticed it as soon as they started charging tax on orders and was royally ticked that they don't even give enough of a damn to make sure they're billing people correctly. One of the reasons why I swore off ordering from them unless I can get multiple games in one order to lessen the shipping/tax blow.

Was breaking down an order from Limited Run today and just realized they're charging sales tax on shipping costs in addition to item costs. Couldn't figure out why the sales tax number was off until it finally hit me. Kind of blew my mind. Do other sites do this as well?
The taxability of shipping charges varies by state. And yes, other online stores, at least the ones that properly calculate sales tax, do charge those taxes on shipping if required in the specific state to which the item is being shipped.

I've not seen it done that way before. Amazon charges tax on the items purchased, not the cost to ship (for those items you have to pay shipping on). Same for BB and Walmart. It probably has to do with the generic charge they have for shipping rather than having a specific charge based on weight and other factors.

bread's done
Back