Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
So far I have every LRG vita release except for Breach & Clear.  The only ps4 copies picked up were Rainbow Moon, Dragon Fantasy & Shadow Complex.  When it comes to the PS4 releases I tend to only grab the ones I have a real interest in.  Though in retrospect after playing their vita counterparts I probably should have gotten one or two that I passed on.  The Shantae releases are going to be a buy for me though.  Also Cosmic Star Heroine whenever it finally comes out =P~

The Vita games though are like crack.  I bought so many titles, not just LRG releases, that if they were on another system I probably would have passed on and in most cases would have missed out on a pretty good game that I ended up enjoying.  I have no interest in going for a complete collection but if it says vita it just becomes an itch that I must scratch and I must own it for some damn reason that's beyond my simple comprehension.

Welp, this afternoons drops should be in stock for a lonnnng time at this rate.

Thomas Was Alone on Vita was the first game to just sell out. Rest are still available. (30min after initial drop)
Um... there are still 4 left (as I started typing this) of Thomas Was Alone for the vita. And yeah, I could put two of them in my cart and stuff... but I removed them so others can get the games. None of the games are sold out, though the vita games are nearly gone. 2 left for One Way Heroics (vita).

Last edited by a moderator:
Have these been the slowest games to sell out? I think... Hardline and Shadow Complex took a while to sell out too, didn't they? 

Um... there are still 4 left (as I started typing this) of Thomas Was Alone for the vita. And yeah, I could put two of them in my cart and stuff... but I removed them so others can get the games. None of the games are sold out, though the vita games are nearly gone. 2 left for One Way Heroics (vita).
Why do people who don't understand how the process works insist on arguing about it?

"Only 2 left" or "4 left" means nothing, as does adding it to your cart. Those descriptions are not accurate. You have to attempt to check out with them.

PS4 games are always going to take much longer to get rid of.

Also, both of these releases are pretty well stocked as far as the first batch quantity is concerned, so I'm not surprised there's still a fair amount left.

Keep in mind they've changed their strategy with the way they stock the first and second batches of games.  Starting from the last releases, the first batch is a considerably larger quantity batch, while the second batch will just be whatever is left.

The strategy seems to be working fairly well since the people in the morning has been complaining less they couldn't get a copy of the games, but from the last release, people still complained the afternoon.  I guess if anything it's limiting at least some of the pouting. :D

It's also worth noting that the game doesn't actually have to sell out immediately, as long as it sells out eventually. Having a large amount of stock sitting around would be a problem for the developers as well as for LRG. So they don't go for huge print runs that they aren't sure that they can move. But selling out inside of the first 10 minutes is just a matter of bragging rights, and to hype up the demand. It isn't actually required, or even very beneficial. In truth, the games don't even have to sell out in their first day. As long as the game sells out before the next batch of games gets released, everything is fine. Any of these games taking a few hours to sell out is not a problem, or an indication of anything going wrong.

In this case, we simply have a scenario where the demand for these particular titles was not as high, and the initial print runs were larger than some of those in the past. This was partially reflected by LRG allowing multiple copies to be sold for each title. (something they don't always do for smaller print runs with higher demand) They expected things to be a bit slower, so they allowed hard-core collectors to purchase extra copies if they wanted to.

Flippers will be in trouble if they try to go big on these two titles. The reduced demand will be biting them hard. Most people who wanted copies of these games already have their orders in. The second-hand price on these won't be seeing some of the extremes we've seen for other releases.

DO NOT expect the same to hold true for all future titles. The Shantae series has a cult following, and has seen very few physical releases. (and some of those original physical releases are already in high demand) Those games are going to go quickly, even though they're on the PS4. That series has numerous fans, and considerably stronger brand recognition.

PS4 games are always going to take much longer to get rid of.

Also, both of these releases are pretty well stocked as far as the first batch quantity is concerned, so I'm not surprised there's still a fair amount left.

Keep in mind they've changed their strategy with the way they stock the first and second batches of games. Starting from the last releases, the first batch is a considerably larger quantity batch, while the second batch will just be whatever is left.

The strategy seems to be working fairly well since the people in the morning has been complaining less they couldn't get a copy of the games, but from the last release, people still complained the afternoon. I guess if anything it's limiting at least some of the pouting. :D
That's not a new strategy. They've done the batch allocation that way since maybe the third sale, just after they switched over to two distinct order windows.

That's not a new strategy. They've done the batch allocation that way since maybe the third sale, just after they switched over to two distinct order windows.
Oh, funny, I thought it was more recent than that.

I guess it's more likely the increased quantity of releases that are helping to stretch out the copies being available still.

Whatever the case is, there is less complaints of missing out. :D

Does anyone feel that LRG should release less games? I've spent over $200 on them this month and its kinda hurting my wallet.
They've stated their plan is to slow down the releases by a bit. They have noted that this pace is not their intention, and the reason for all of these releases is because they're playing catch up. For awhile they weren't even sure if they would be able to stay afloat as a company, so some things got put on the back burner, but once they figured things out, they were already behind on quite a few things.

They will eventually get to a place where they feel they've caught up, and they'll start to dial down the crazy amount of releases they do on a monthly basis, or at least that is their plan to.

LRG probably doesn't feel that way.
I am one of those people. :D

Like I said, I'm hoping they have a little slowdown for November and December. Especially dropping 4 different games next month, that's crazy. And especially since I think one of the Shantae games is more expensive than we've been paying.

I don't mind like 2 per month, but I think any more than that during the holiday months is probably gonna end my streak. 

Does anyone feel that LRG should release less games? I've spent over $200 on them this month and its kinda hurting my wallet.
It would be nicer on our wallets, but there's no reason to slow down if they keep selling out, and there's plenty of games for them to continue to release. Having more success and building better relationships with more developers should only lead to bigger and better things in the fiuture. Hopefully expanding to other consoles and maybe some of those dream releases we all want to see.

It's also worth noting that their "pace" is larger determined by the developers they're partnering with. If they don't have developers ready and willing to release physical copies, their pace is naturally going to slow down. Also, there will likely be a shelf-life on production of Vita cartridges. Sony won't keep those operations going forever. PS4 is going to be here for a while, and is a fairly standardized optical format on top of that. We can expect that format to be available for a very long time. Vita... not so much. If not for Japan, we would have probably already seen that cartridge manufacturing shut down. There's far more factors in play as opposed to just "what LRG wants to release."

PS4 copies of both games are in stock... I wonder what happens if they don't sell out by the time the 2nd batch is supposed to go up? 

Also, good to hear they're slowing things down but I also remembered that they will list games during BF. That's gonna be tough. 

It's also worth noting that their "pace" is larger determined by the developers they're partnering with. If they don't have developers ready and willing to release physical copies, their pace is naturally going to slow down. Also, there will likely be a shelf-life on production of Vita cartridges. Sony won't keep those operations going forever. PS4 is going to be here for a while, and is a fairly standardized optical format on top of that. We can expect that format to be available for a very long time. Vita... not so much. If not for Japan, we would have probably already seen that cartridge manufacturing shut down. There's far more factors in play as opposed to just "what LRG wants to release."
There are indeed numerous factors involved, but I am stating what they've stated themselves very clearly, and that the reason for this pace right now is because they are behind on the previous releases, and there does seem to be an incredible amount of titles being put out there on a weekly basis. They've also noted about a month back they had over 50 agreements in place for future releases (not sure if this is including 1 per platform too or not), so clearly they aren't just picking up games as they go along just to try and stay afloat like they had been in the past. There are far more factors than "what LRG wants to release", but you also need to consider that LRG has already considered those factors, and are working towards making them work. Otherwise, I can't imagine how they keep pushing out games like this if they hadn't already considered those other factors before going all in with this model. Stop being such a downer, you jerk. VITA IS IMMORTAL! :D

There's still at least 1 factory in the world producing UMD discs (Summon Night 5) so hopefully we'll see physical Vita releases from LRG and others for many years to come. :)

Oh yes, the current popularity of the service seems to be working out pretty well for them, and that's great. It's nice that they essentially have a waiting list of developers who want to get their games out now. Being spoiled for choice on what's next in the schedule is a good problem to have. Personally, I have no problem with this state of affairs. But that's me. Personal preference and so forth.

There's still at least 1 factory in the world producing UMD discs (Summon Night 5) so hopefully we'll see physical Vita releases from LRG and others for many years to come. :)
There is? I thought the whole reason Retro City Rampage DX shipped empty PSP cases was because production had stopped.

Yeah, I'm honestly fine with the current model, especially since I only buy the Vita games anyways, so it's not that much of a strain on my spending.

Of course, that's going to change when both Shantae releases come out. :*(

There is? I thought the whole reason Retro City Rampage DX shipped empty PSP cases was because production had stopped.
I thought so, but maybe they shut down sometime between Summon Night 5 being manufactured and now.

Edit: Maybe not. Japan is still getting PSP games as of this year: http://www.yesasia.com/global/playstation-portable-psp-games-psp/0-0-10364-bpt.46_gv.56-en/list.html#&vn=33&bt=37&ni=506&dn=PSP&gv=56,59,58,57&vm=32&s=7&bpt=46&sb=138&cid=226&l=1&bcc=10364&ss=100

Because there are a lot more "Vita Completionist" collectors.

Well, 15 minutes and none sold out yet! Gotta chuckle at all the future "I couldn't get it!!" posts.
no i buy vita games because i prefer handheld unless i hear the game is terrible or dont like the genre (AKA the other game that was offered that wasnt TWA) if they sell out of vita I go for the ps4 version and that happened one time and it was my fault.

Like I said, I'm hoping they have a little slowdown for November and December. Especially dropping 4 different games next month, that's crazy. And especially since I think one of the Shantae games is more expensive than we've been paying.

I don't mind like 2 per month, but I think any more than that during the holiday months is probably gonna end my streak.
I agree eventually they will run out of titles if they only do ps vita and ps4 now if they also start doing 3ds and wii u (which i highly doubt) then i see it staying the current model

All I know is I want Cosmic Star Heroine, likely the Shantae stuff, that Waifu bartender one and the Sekai Project stuff (always will support VNs even if I own them already). Does anyone actually play their LRG cartridges?

I play mine. Well, most of mine. I have a few I kept sealed because I had already played them or I knew I didn't care for it (rainbow moon).

I agree eventually they will run out of titles if they only do ps vita and ps4 now if they also start doing 3ds and wii u (which i highly doubt) then i see it staying the current model
i wonder if they will do 3ds.. circle entertainment just asked people if they would buy their games if they put them on carts

Have these been the slowest games to sell out? I think... Hardline and Shadow Complex took a while to sell out too, didn't they?
Octodad (PS4) went into the next day if I remember correctly.

i wonder if they will do 3ds.. circle entertainment just asked people if they would buy their games if they put them on carts
Only problem is most Circle games are like $1 to $5 each. If they do a compilation though, I would love to get that.

Octodad (PS4) went into the next day if I remember correctly.

Only problem is most Circle games are like $1 to $5 each. If they do a compilation though, I would love to get that.
Compilations sound like a good idea... Would love to see something like Bastion+Transistor or Limbo/Inside.

Why are these not selling out? I thought LR games usually hold value? These don't seem to have any interest in them, wonder if it will be available for cheaper later on

Why are these not selling out? I thought LR games usually hold value? These don't seem to have any interest in them, wonder if it will be available for cheaper later on
They did too large a print for these ones, but they're not going to go down in value. Yea, it'll take them a little longer to sell out, but that's not unheard of. Octodad was in stock for around 48 hours if I remember, and you'd be looking at paying $35-45 for a copy on eBay, now.

They're only going to go up in value, as the years go by. They're still limited enough that stock will eventually end up wearing thin as more copies find permanent homes. If you want a copy, you're best off buying now.

To be honest, there are a few dates you shouldn't sell stuff. One is on holidays and the other is the last day of the month. Sadly, a lot of people live paycheck to paycheck. A large portion of these people get paid monthly. Because of this people are broke the last few days of each month. I use to work at a grocery store and the first of the month, especially if it was a weekend like today, would be super packed.

Limited Run sold Octodad on Father's Day, so it took them 48 hours to sell them all for example. Same thing is happening with these games. It doesn't really matter since they will sell out as soon as they lift the limit cap, but for those wondering why, that's part of why.

To be honest, there are a few dates you shouldn't sell stuff. One is on holidays and the other is the last day of the month. Sadly, a lot of people live paycheck to paycheck. A large portion of these people get paid monthly. Because of this people are broke the last few days of each month. I use to work at a grocery store and the first of the month, especially if it was a weekend like today, would be super packed.

Limited Run sold Octodad on Father's Day, so it took them 48 hours to sell them all for example. Same thing is happening with these games. It doesn't really matter since they will sell out as soon as they lift the limit cap, but for those wondering why, that's part of why.
Honestly, I think it has more to do with a lesser quality games, in greater qty's, than being released on a specific day or time of the month. If this would have been Axiom Verge released yesterday, in those qty's, it would have been gone in minutes, if not seconds.

I'm sorry, but Octodad while unique, is far from a must have game. And even taking a few days to sale out, is still great in regards to the business model being used, so no big deal if this new batch takes a few days to sale out or not. There is always going to be "big" interest for certain games, and "small" interest in others. But selling out within a week, is really all that needs to happen as far as LRG is concerned.

I would almost bet on it that when the Shantae games go up, the Sekai ones (esp Narcissu), Cosmic Star Heroine, and possibly that Waifu Bar Simulator, that they will sell out within 10 minutes easily. These ones are just not that interesting, though I got the one way one this time. Thomas is Alone is thought of as a very good game, but it's been out so long, and I've heard is pretty short. Why would you rebuy it unless you really want to catch all the LRG releases? The demo of the one way game hurt this one a lot, though i'm suprised the "anime" like graphics didn't entice more random people.

These releases are definitely testing the upper limit of what they can sell for games that aren't necessarily top-shelf releases.  I expect now having had runs that were too small and these at the upper limit,  they'll correct to a nice equilibrium in the future.

It's also a tall order to try and move 18,000 games in one shot.

This is probably one of their bigger release days as this is the first time they've had two titles with dual platforms listed, with both titles having large quantities.

This is by far their biggest release day, so not surprised things aren't completely sold out yet, but that also doesn't mean they won't sell out, so just keep an eye on things. :D

Arent both these like stupid cheap on steam. I almost bought them there first due to I thought I would miss this deal
Yeah, Thomas Was Alone has been bundled before in a $1 Humble tier and Mystery Chronicle One Way Heroics is $10 (or $9 if you have the original). Most people here buy LRG games to collect or resell though, or prefer playing indie games on Vita. I've skipped all of the releases so far cuz I prefer to get them cheaper in bundles or on Steam. First LRG release I'll buy is probably gonna be The Silver Case.

I love Thomas Was Alone. I beat it on PC (or maybe PS3? I can't remember)... but I think it's a pretty hard sell for most people for 25 dollars, even for collectors.

I don't mind, I bought it, lol... but I had a feeling it wouldn't be selling out anytime soon. The Shantae games on the other hand are going to sell out super fast.

I picked up a few more of the Mystery Chronicle Vitas. I think the 5000 print run might be pushing it here, but any limited RPG release on the Vita come a few years from now is well worth the investment as I see it becoming the next Saturn or Dreamcast someday. This isn't going to be a flip and I'm sure ebay will be flooded for months to come, but my gut tells me (this coming from a guy who once owned 8 Earthbounds he bought at Bestbuy for 10 a pop) once those jokers are done (even at 40 what do they make :) this will be a nice collectible.

bread's done
Back