Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Well, we knew it was coming, just not from LRG. Have they announced a US version yet, as they did for the Velocity 2X?
A $29.99 price point is mentioned, and there's the aforementioned ESRB logo in the trailer, so it'd be weird for that to not get some sort of release here.

Personally I'm going for an EU version (maybe Vita since I only played it on PS4) to get the separate trophy list.

Last edited by a moderator:
A $29.99 price point is mentioned, and there's the aforementioned ESRB logo in the trailer, so it'd be weird for that to not get some sort of release here.

Personally I'm going for an EU version (maybe Vita since I only played it on PS4) to get the separate trophy list.
When Velocity was announced, Futurlabs mentioned a US version would be announced at a later date, but nothing since. So I'm sure all these developers will offer US versions, maybe just not through Badlands. But I'm cool either way, as Region free makes the world go raound LOL That's a pretty good set for $30 if that price is true.

Well, we knew it was coming, just not from LRG. Have they announced a US version yet, as they did for the Velocity 2X?
The dual shockers article says:

"Publisher BadLand Games has announced that the company has signed on developer Thomas Happ Games to release a physical edition of Axiom Verge for PS4, PS Vita, and Wii U, in both a special “Multiverse Edition” on all platforms, and a standard version for PS4 only. The Multiverse Edition will run $29.99 for PS4/PS Vita/Wii U, while the standard edition for PS4 will be $20.

Specifically, the game will be released as Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition on PS4, PS Vita, and Wii U and include a deluxe booklet with commentary and art from developer Thomas Happ, a double-sided poster, and a DVD featuring an exclusive making-of documentary behind the game’s development."

They appear to be talking USD.

I typically don't care about LE versions of games, but I really like the content they list. Pricing on the standard PS4 version is pretty excellent. I bought the game digital... just need to play it to see if it is indeed my kind of fun. I do love metroidvanias so that's a massive plus going for it already.

It's likely that Axiom Verge alreay has a U.S. relase in the works. You have to lay down cash for that ESRB rating, it's not an automatic process. Materials have to be provided and a fee has to be paid in order to get an ESRB rating. It's a sizable amount of red-tape, and is only really required for a broad brick-and-mortar release.

I am on-board for such a release, and I'm excited to see some of the upcoming offerings from LRG. I'm a little iffy on the schoolgirl fighting game. I'm going to do a little research to get a better idea of the critical response for that one. Could be I'll be passing that one by. Bit.Trip, on the other hand, is a title that I'll be showing up for. No question.

It's likely that Axiom Verge alreay has a U.S. relase in the works. You have to lay down cash for that ESRB rating, it's not an automatic process. Materials have to be provided and a fee has to be paid in order to get an ESRB rating. It's a sizable amount of red-tape, and is only really required for a broad brick-and-mortar release.

I am on-board for such a release, and I'm excited to see some of the upcoming offerings from LRG. I'm a little iffy on the schoolgirl fighting game. I'm going to do a little research to get a better idea of the critical response for that one. Could be I'll be passing that one by. Bit.Trip, on the other hand, is a title that I'll be showing up for. No question.
Axiom Verge already had an ESRB rating before when it released digitally, though.

Axiom Verge already had an ESRB rating before when it released digitally, though.
Yeah, that was my thinking seeing it in the ad, but we'll know soon enough. I have several EU Vita games that never got released in the states, so no issue if that's the only one available, but I'm sure the US will get this to. I'm more concerned with getting it physical than anything else. And that set looks pretty cool to boot, I'll for sure be getting it upon release.

Mmmmmm.... good point. Not much of a guarantee then. Still, the U.S. is a pretty enormous market. If they're willing to release it physically in Europe, I'd give it better than even odds that it will make its way to U.S. store shelves as well.

I tried to play Lone Survivor for the first time and holy crap.. I had to quit after 5 minutes it gave me a freaking migraine.

I don't know if there's anyway to adjust the display on PS4 but it was like playing the game on 500x zoom. The words and everything were HUGE The display for me is just unplayable. Is it supposed to be like that???
I have the PS Plus version. I played it on the Vita. Looks better on there than on TV. I do agree with you on the HUGE zoom lol

I have the PS Plus version. I played it on the Vita. Looks better on there than on TV. I do agree with you on the HUGE zoom lol
Lone Survivor looks like Atari Lynx game (160x102) stretched to fit modern screens... except while emulating the refresh rate of the old screens as well. It does play a lot better on Vita but it still hurt my brain to the point that I deleted it.

And its only $30 with the extra goodies.
I'm really glad they priced it so well. Hopefully the game ends up on Amazon.com or another USA based retailer to keep the shipping in check.

Out of all the announcements over the past few days, this one has me the most excited.
Me as well, this is a kick-ass physical release done right. Hopefully no matter when and where it is released, I can get an undamaged copy. Some of these companies can't ship stuff proper to save their lives.

Lone Survivor looks like Atari Lynx game (160x102) stretched to fit modern screens... except while emulating the refresh rate of the old screens as well. It does play a lot better on Vita but it still hurt my brain to the point that I deleted it.
When I first saw Lone Survivor years ago, the Lynx was the first thing that came to mind. LOL

Who is Thomas happy games? Are they like LRG or will this be through like amazon or bestbuy?

I'd really like to buy this. I've been wanting to play it.
It's being published by Badland Games which has only published one other title in the US physically (Olli Olli) but lots of titles physically in Europe and in Spain particularly. Thomas Happ Games is the developer.

It's being published by Badland Games which has only published one other title in the US physically (Olli Olli) but lots of titles physically in Europe and in Spain particularly. Thomas Happ Games is the developer.
Yeah, so Badland is like LRG in this equation, but I don't think they do "limited" as they do, so hopefully this won't be hard to get.

So with badlands other game where did you buy it at? Just want to make sure I stay on top of it.
Olli Olli Epic Combo Edition is available pretty much everywhere (I got mine from Best Buy). For Badland's European releases I usually hit up one of the UK based stores on Ebay.

For LRG's upcoming crop I'm excited for Pang (fond memories of Super Buster Bros) and the two shmups.

Thank God LRG didnt get this tbh that means it wont be limited and i can preorder it hehehehe
It probably will be more than $30. The game alone is $20 on the PSN store. A Wii U version is a definitely a surprise. I'll be getting all 3. lol. Hopefully a release on the Switch too.

I wish them the best of luck with this but I think it will be severely overprinted. I hope that won't impact Tom's potential returns.

Hmm, my order of Curses&Chaos/Swapper was marked delivered on Monday but still isn't anywhere to be found in my building's package room. This is the first time I've ever had a package missing in 2.5 years living at this place - has this happened to anyone else? Hoping it turns up but wondering what to do if that doesn't happen.

And how is that bad?
It's not bad for you. It's bad for the developer. The publisher will count the expenses of a huge print run against returns. If the game rots on the shelf, it's unlikely the dev will make much, if anything. Tom is a nice guy who has a child who needs a lot of medical care, he needs to make money.

This is the kind of stuff no consumer considers when yelling at us about our model. Discounts and excess inventory hurt developers.

Hmm, my order of Curses&Chaos/Swapper was marked delivered on Monday but still isn't anywhere to be found in my building's package room. This is the first time I've ever had a package missing in 2.5 years living at this place - has this happened to anyone else? Hoping it turns up but wondering what to do if that doesn't happen.
It hasn't happened to me yet with LRG, but it has happened to others, and if it shows delivered to your address(check and make sure the zips match the delivered info), but you may be out of luck. Open a ticket with LRG, and they may allow you to repurchase the items, but it being delivered wrong is a post office fuck up and not theirs. I would recommend contacting USPS ASAP, and telling them what happened, but now being 5 days later, it will be hard to track down, but it could happen.

For future reference, if this happens to anyone else, contact USPS ASAP(try to contact your local office, and not the 1-800 number), as the postal person may know where they took it wrong, or if it was turned back in. Sadly, their memory can be hazy after 1 day, let alone 5, but it's the best you can do.

It's not bad for you. It's bad for the developer. The publisher will count the expenses of a huge print run against returns. If the game rots on the shelf, it's unlikely the dev will make much, if anything. Tom is a nice guy who has a child who needs a lot of medical care, he needs to make money.

This is the kind of stuff no consumer considers when yelling at us about our model. Discounts and excess inventory hurt developers.
Yeah, when I originally bought the Vita version, Tom offered a release week discount for the delay in the port, but it didn't go live for like 24 hours, and I just paid full price, as I wanted to say thanks for coming through on the Vita version(it took about a year, but he made it happen), and also to help with his medical situation. How the hell he even gets this game done on the Wii U and other things, is beyond inspiring. He does seem like a good dude, so I'm more than happy to double dip on these physical versions.

Hey Josh, technically, wouldn't Tom have been the one to decide the run sizes? So if it's overprinted, doesn't that fall on him?

Yeah, when I originally bought the Vita version, Tom offered a release week discount for the delay in the port, but it didn't go live for like 24 hours, and I just paid full price, as I wanted to say thanks for coming through on the Vita version(it took about a year, but he made it happen), and also to help with his medical situation. How the hell he even gets this game done on the Wii U and other things, is beyond inspiring. He does seem like a good dude, so I'm more than happy to double dip on these physical versions.

Hey Josh, technically, wouldn't Tom have been the one to decide the run sizes? So if it's overprinted, doesn't that fall on him?
The sad thing is that after the Prime discount (which will drop the price to $23.99) and all the middlemen in distribution, Tom will probably only make two or three dollars per copy sold. Buying all three versions helps but if they print 20000 copies on PS4 and only 6000 sell - even people who triple dip won't help balance that deficit.

Tom doesn't do any of the business stuff. That's all on his business guy, Dan, who I think made a bad decision here. Dan didn't leave me with a good impression when I dealt with him. I can easily say that he burned a bridge with us for any future clients of his - not that he cares, but still.

Tom doesn't do any of the business stuff. That's all on his business guy, Dan, who I think made a bad decision here. Dan didn't leave me with a good impression when I dealt with him. I can easily say that he burned a bridge with us for any future clients of his - not that he cares, but still.
Yeah, I remember when you discussed this before. I guess all we can do is try to support Tom as best we can, and while I haven't dealt with Dan myself(so I can't comment to his character), Tom wouldn't be the first creative person to have someone on their business side not making deals in their best interest.

Hopefully due to AV being one of the best Indy games of all time, they can sale larger qty's across many platforms. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them.

Reposting this because it got lost in the sauce

Is there a list of games that will be sold at PAX East? I need to get my moniez ready...

It probably will be more than $30. The game alone is $20 on the PSN store. A Wii U version is a definitely a surprise. I'll be getting all 3. lol. Hopefully a release on the Switch too.
As it says on the page though its up to nintendo for the wiiu version. So it isnt a for sure thing yet.

Reposting this because it got lost in the sauce

Is there a list of games that will be sold at PAX East? I need to get my moniez ready...
No, we don't even really know at the moment. We're waiting for Dear Esther to arrive so we can ship all remaining orders and assess what is leftover.

Sounds like LRG is jealous because they rather have it and have us fight for copies and make it 'limited' smh
Or, more likely, LRG actually understands how this business works. Of course, self-centered individuals like yourself only see the short term benefits and don't understand the reason that so many other companies have failed to crack the retail market longer term with niche physical releases.

Or, more likely, LRG actually understands how this business works. Of course, self-centered individuals like yourself only see the short term benefits and don't understand the reason that so many other companies have failed to crack the retail market longer term with niche physical releases.
Self centered? More like honest tbh because we all know the whole point of LRG is to not only make digital only games physical but also make them hard to get and eventually expensive ala shantea and it would happen with axiom as well. Tbh to many of you are sheep and follow anything LRG states because most of you are keeping them sealed for profit.

Self centered? More like honest tbh because we all know the whole point of LRG is to not only make digital only games physical but also make them hard to get and eventually expensive ala shantea and it would happen with axiom as well. Tbh to many of you are sheep and follow anything LRG states because most of you are keeping them sealed for profit.
Please, provide us with some examples of other companies that have successfully released multiple niche games at retail on the PS4 or other modern platforms longterm. Even Badland Games that is publishing this has only had one other US release in the several years they have been doing this despite releasing dozens of games in Europe. LRG does cater to collectors and gamers and unfortunately, part of that business model requires building demand and not creating excessive supply. There's a reason companies like 505 Games, Rising Star and others have only released a tiny number of retail PS4 niche or indie games. The down sides to retail far outstrip any potential margins on games retailing for under $30. If there was significant profit to be made in the US for retail niche PS4 games, Sony and every other publisher would be releasing every digital title they could find physically. LRG fills a niche (but it is very much a niche) and it doesn't make people "sheep" to appreciate what they are doing.

And how is that bad?
I don't think Doomstink is privy to the info related to the deal for Axiom Verge (nor am I). He still seems a little butt hurt that Dan cheesed him off by insulting LRG as a business... so of course he doesn't get the concept of good games getting larger production runs than he'd ever dream of. He's also not aware of the monetary split. But let's use his numbers anyway. If they produce and sell 200,000 copies world wide (same # of Shovel Knight already sold between PS4, WiiU & 3DS back when they crossed the 1Million mark) even at $3 per unit profit... that's still $600,000 in profits. Even if 1/2 of them end up discounted and his profit for 100,000 units is $1.50 that's still $450,000 profit. At $24 per copy with a run of 10,000 from LRG (5K vita, 5K PS4)... with a profit of $10 per unit... that would be $100,000 profit... which would not meet the demand, leave a lot Axiom Verge fans unhappy.. .and feed into the stupid feeding frenzy that surrounds limited production games. Granted $100K in a short time frame would be super nice, but a larger print run means Thomas Happ get's to have a lot more financial breathing room over the next couple of years to take care of his family and develop more stuff without so much financial worry.

Yeah but if every company released games like LRG does we wouldn't have a game industry. Their business model only works for low production runs. It limits the profits that legitimately great games could make but is great for games that just wouldn't make it at retail (like most of what LRG produces).

Look at Shovel Knight. If it was up to LRG they would have sold 10K units and been done forever. Instead they sold over 200,000 units at retail before discounts happened and before the Vita version came out. I think they made a lot more money doing it their own way.

YES they are taking a risk with Axiom Verge, but from everything I've read and seen on the game... it seems like the kind of game that would thrive at retail similar to Shovel Knight & Terraria.

To be fair, while bojay is clearly blind (or paid?) (or completely unreasonable?) and you typically can't have a real discussion with him... I think the average poster here is pretty decent to the point where we can discuss some of this stuff (even when we don't agree) without it being a major crapfest. I mean look how many people now have given up the mentality of catching them all... and now are being more purposeful in buying games they actually love or want physical. Or how many are just going for Vita or one version of the games at releases. The frenzy has mellowed a substantially which has stopped some of the backlash when the discussions are potentially perceived as negative towards LRG.

I'm not here because I hate LRG, I'm here because I love videogames and when LRG releases something that I want to buy, I have no problem doing business with them on their terms. Same for Gamestop, when they get an exclusive of something I want... I'll deal with getting that opened display copy or whatever if I have to. It's making the best of what the market has to offer to get the games I want... and once the average normal gamer (even passionate gamer) starts to see you are just the same as them ... the hate kind of dies down. MOST of us here are all after the same basic thing... great games. IF a little bitching along the way get's a few minor changes that benefit everyone (remember the floating discs and the request I made for testing out other packaging options?).... well, it's worth hanging out even with people we don't always agree with.

Please, provide us with some examples of other companies that have successfully released multiple niche games at retail on the PS4 or other modern platforms longterm.
There are literally dozens of physical niche ps4 releases on amazon... I'm not saying they have low print runs or a single publisher but there are tons of physical ps4 games (outside of LRG releases) that I never thought would get a physical release.

And so it starts again, at least we had about 24 hours of calm with the new release list, but back to business as usual uh? LOL
goodgrief.gif

Tkh9o.gif

Please, provide us with some examples of other companies that have successfully released multiple niche games at retail on the PS4 or other modern platforms longterm. Even Badland Games that is publishing this has only had one other US release in the several years they have been doing this despite releasing dozens of games in Europe. LRG does cater to collectors and gamers and unfortunately, part of that business model requires building demand and not creating excessive supply. There's a reason companies like 505 Games, Rising Star and others have only released a tiny number of retail PS4 niche or indie games. The down sides to retail far outstrip any potential margins on games retailing for under $30. If there was significant profit to be made in the US for retail niche PS4 games, Sony and every other publisher would be releasing every digital title they could find physically. LRG fills a niche (but it is very much a niche) and it doesn't make people "sheep" to appreciate what they are doing.
Atlus made a living doing this. I would often buy a game from them BECAUSE it was niche and I knew it would be valuable. The same for treasure.

Atlus made a living doing this. I would often buy a game from them BECAUSE it was niche and I knew it would be valuable. The same for treasure.
Treasure is the BOMB! Are they still making games? I haven't seen any recent talk about them in the last few years.

I don't think Doomstink is privy to the info related to the deal for Axiom Verge (nor am I). He still seems a little butt hurt that Dan cheesed him off by insulting LRG as a business... so of course he doesn't get the concept of good games getting larger production runs than he'd ever dream of. He's also not aware of the monetary split. But let's use his numbers anyway. If they produce and sell 200,000 copies world wide (same # of Shovel Knight already sold between PS4, WiiU & 3DS back when they crossed the 1Million mark) even at $3 per unit profit... that's still $600,000 in profits. Even if 1/2 of them end up discounted and his profit for 100,000 units is $1.50 that's still $450,000 profit. At $24 per copy with a run of 10,000 from LRG (5K vita, 5K PS4)... with a profit of $10 per unit... that would be $100,000 profit... which would not meet the demand, leave a lot Axiom Verge fans unhappy.. .and feed into the stupid feeding frenzy that surrounds limited production games. Granted $100K in a short time frame would be super nice, but a larger print run means Thomas Happ get's to have a lot more financial breathing room over the next couple of years to take care of his family and develop more stuff without so much financial worry.

Yeah but if every company released games like LRG does we wouldn't have a game industry. Their business model only works for low production runs. It limits the profits that legitimately great games could make but is great for games that just wouldn't make it at retail (like most of what LRG produces).

Look at Shovel Knight. If it was up to LRG they would have sold 10K units and been done forever. Instead they sold over 200,000 units at retail before discounts happened and before the Vita version came out. I think they made a lot more money doing it their own way.

YES they are taking a risk with Axiom Verge, but from everything I've read and seen on the game... it seems like the kind of game that would thrive at retail similar to Shovel Knight & Terraria.

To be fair, while bojay is clearly blind (or paid?) (or completely unreasonable?) and you typically can't have a real discussion with him... I think the average poster here is pretty decent to the point where we can discuss some of this stuff (even when we don't agree) without it being a major crapfest. I mean look how many people now have given up the mentality of catching them all... and now are being more purposeful in buying games they actually love or want physical. Or how many are just going for Vita or one version of the games at releases. The frenzy has mellowed a substantially which has stopped some of the backlash when the discussions are potentially perceived as negative towards LRG.

I'm not here because I hate LRG, I'm here because I love videogames and when LRG releases something that I want to buy, I have no problem doing business with them on their terms. Same for Gamestop, when they get an exclusive of something I want... I'll deal with getting that opened display copy or whatever if I have to. It's making the best of what the market has to offer to get the games I want... and once the average normal gamer (even passionate gamer) starts to see you are just the same as them ... the hate kind of dies down. MOST of us here are all after the same basic thing... great games. IF a little bitching along the way get's a few minor changes that benefit everyone (remember the floating discs and the request I made for testing out other packaging options?).... well, it's worth hanging out even with people we don't always agree with.
Agreed you put it in so much better words then i could but true for instance i bought 3 copies of shovel knight if LRG did the sale i would have 1 copy (most likely vita or ps4). With axiom im buyng all 3 so its a win for them and i bet a lot of ppl here will buy 2 or more copies and no i open mine to play except the wii u version due to having it already. LRG i have nothing against buy limiting large pipular games in physical form I dont Agreed with and games like Earthbound prove just because its over produced doesnt mean it will not be a collectible in the future.

Agreed with and games like Earthbound prove just because its over produced doesnt mean it will not be a collectible in the future.
You are so right, I bought that SNES Earthbound bundle for 10-15 dollars back in the day at BB(I wish I would have bought 20), and I sold it for a few hundred years later. That's collecting at it's finest. LOL

bread's done
Back