Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
You are so right, I bought that SNES Earthbound bundle for 10-15 dollars back in the day at BB(I wish I would have bought 20), and I sold it for a few hundred years later. That's collecting at it's finest. LOL
I wish I knew more back then about Earthbound. I was never even on my radar. Still, I at least was awake when Shantae released on GBC.

I've seen some of their stuff going digital. Haven't paid too much attention. Treasure was a pretty small scale act, as was Atlus- but Atlus has lucked into some pretty good popularity explosions- Shin Megami Tensai / Persona come to mind. Not too long ago that stuff was niche.

I wish I knew more back then about Earthbound. I was never even on my radar. Still, I at least was awake when Shantae released on GBC.
I knew about it, but I wasn't really in to it(at the time anyway), but it was a game, guide, and box for pennies on the dollar, so I grabbed it up.

I still kick myself for not buying the Virtual Boy at Target back in the day. They had a "pyramid" style store display on close out for $15-$25 maybe? But I already had one, and just passed it by. The thoughts of reselling, or anything else didn't cross my mind at the time. I bought the Earthbound set as I figured I might play it one day, but I never did.

I knew about it, but I wasn't really in to it(at the time anyway), but it was a game, guide, and box for pennies on the dollar, so I grabbed it up.

I still kick myself for not buying the Virtual Boy at Target back in the day. They had a "pyramid" style store display on close out for $15-$25 maybe? But I already had one, and just passed it by. The thoughts of reselling, or anything else didn't cross my mind at the time. I bought the Earthbound set as I figured I might play it one day, but I never did.
Oh wow Virtual Boy. I remember when KB Toys were still around. They had a whole shelf of VB with Teleboxer for $30.

Oh wow Virtual Boy. I remember when KB Toys were still around. They had a whole shelf of VB with Teleboxer for $30.
I've seen a lot of cheap systems in my time on closeout, as I was around during the market crash in the early 80's, but the Virtual Boy price was just insane. I guess they couldn't give those away at the time.

I knew my comments would anger some awaiting the members who type who paragraphs to make me look bad. ACTIVATED FLAME SHIELD !!
It's because you don't provide any original thoughts. You come in the thread and spew the same shit about LRG. I'm not sure why you even read the thread. You're almost as bad as Mrclark, except he can put together a sentence.

My copy of The Swindle (Vita) is Out For Delivery today. The last time that I bought from LRG was Saturday Morning RPG so I'm psyched about finally getting a game that I didn't find in a clearance bin!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's because you don't provide any original thoughts. You come in the thread and spew the same shit about LRG. I'm not sure why you even read the thread. You're almost as bad as Mrclark, except he can put together a sentence.
Why should I? Facts wouldnt change anything when it comes to you riding on LRG ....you know

tumblr_ntoyi6h3tH1twyezqo1_500.gif

but the Virtual Boy price was just insane. I guess they couldn't give those away at the time.
Have you ever used one? I have a Virtual Boy. Playing that thing for any length of time greater than 15 minutes is like self-flagellation. Clearing that thing out when it tanked was like putting thumbscrews on clearance. Thumbscrews that were specifically designed for you to use on yourself. Masochism is not widespread enough to sustain a product like the Virtual Boy. There were actually several good games for the Virtual Boy that were a lot of fun to play. But that wasn't nearly enough to offset the searing pain.

Ugh. Like Richard stated, the "going for a full collection" thing is madness, especially with the PS4, considering it's still in the 1st half of it's life cycle. I'm already up to 75 PS4 games in my personal collection.
Hell I almost have 200 PS4 titles (Not including sport titles(minus MLB) and Just Dance) and I still don't even have a dent into it. Note that I'm not actively collecting PS4, I just haven't gotten rid of any titles and bought most of them when on sale...might get rid of some soon the collector's editions are taking up a bit too much space.

As for the Vita, I already have a complete collection currently. Some of the earlier titles will be a pain to find especially with the case, I had the hardest time finding F1 2011...

I've bought every LRG title so far (except SMRPG on PS4)...

There are literally dozens of physical niche ps4 releases on amazon... I'm not saying they have low print runs or a single publisher but there are tons of physical ps4 games (outside of LRG releases) that I never thought would get a physical release.
Yes and how many of those games linger in bargain bins and cause the situation that LRG described where the publisher gets stuck with returns or having to credit the retailer and therefore passes those losses on to the developer? How many games only ever end up on Amazon and maybe Gamestop and never even hit mainstream retail stores? I mean there was a company that burst onto the niche release scene a few years ago called "Play It" that was actually owned by one of the largest video game and media distributors in the United States. They clearly didn't make a profit on their titles as they cancelled the releases of Surgeon Simulator and another title they planned to release and haven't released anything since.

The fact that there isn't some company releasing the volume of games that LRG releases (and frankly this is bolstered by the fact that Gamestop has had to slash prices on its "only at Gamestop" line in recent months to clear stock) is strong evidence that physical niche games are not a retail friendly business model. I mean even Axiom Verge that saw a very limited $20 PC release DRM free and in a steelbook from Gamestop and Indiebox is still readily available at many Gamestop locations and Gamestop.com which is pretty troubling considering most stores only received one copy to begin with and I believe the total print run was in the thousands and not tens of thousands. I just think everyone is grossly overestimating the demand for niche physical games at retail and this release will certainly be a test of just how much demand there really is.

Atlus made a living doing this. I would often buy a game from them BECAUSE it was niche and I knew it would be valuable. The same for treasure.
Atlus built a business releasing games from primarily one particular niche, but nobody has really been able to duplicate that model in the modern era outside of niche JRPGs and related titles. Certainly nobody has built a successful business selling retail copies of indie games long term as LRG has now done and Atlus never got even close to the volume LRG has hit in just a little over a year of being in business.

I've seen a lot of cheap systems in my time on closeout, as I was around during the market crash in the early 80's, but the Virtual Boy price was just insane. I guess they couldn't give those away at the time.
The Dreamcast was clearanced for $50 back when Sega pulled the plug on it, I actually picked up a few and still have them sealed. Shame that the console never caught on, it was fantastic.

Square, your Gifs never get old. Maybe you should post that one in the OP, as "Fair warning" to anyone entering this thread. LOL

Have you ever used one? I have a Virtual Boy. Playing that thing for any length of time greater than 15 minutes is like self-flagellation. Clearing that thing out when it tanked was like putting thumbscrews on clearance. Thumbscrews that were specifically designed for you to use on yourself. Masochism is not widespread enough to sustain a product like the Virtual Boy. There were actually several good games for the Virtual Boy that were a lot of fun to play. But that wasn't nearly enough to offset the searing pain.
Yeah, I still have mine as I bought it from Blockbuster when they closed out renting it. So I have the case and everything. I actually have all the homebrew games as well, minus Hyper Fighting, as the price is to high, but maybe someday.

Yeah, long term play was/is not recommended, but as you stated, it did have a few good games. For sure not one of "N" better ideas, but you have to fail often before you can succeed often times, and the N3DS is 3D done right. Sadly the OG wasn't that great either, but they got it right eventually.

Atlus built a business releasing games from primarily one particular niche, but nobody has really been able to duplicate that model in the modern era outside of niche JRPGs and related titles. Certainly nobody has built a successful business selling retail copies of indie games long term as LRG has now done and Atlus never got even close to the volume LRG has hit in just a little over a year of being in business.
I can't speak to the sales volume but I'm guessing atlus had bigger presses. As for LRG being successful- thus far yes- but they've got to be careful not to release too much, folks are already stepping back and lukewarm over some of the releases. I enjoy them, but have stopped buying them except for vita titles.

To be fair, while bojay is clearly blind (or paid?) (or completely unreasonable?) and you typically can't have a real discussion with him... I think the average poster here is pretty decent to the point where we can discuss some of this stuff (even when we don't agree) without it being a major crapfest. I mean look how many people now have given up the mentality of catching them all... and now are being more purposeful in buying games they actually love or want physical. Or how many are just going for Vita or one version of the games at releases. The frenzy has mellowed a substantially which has stopped some of the backlash when the discussions are potentially perceived as negative towards LRG.

I'm not here because I hate LRG, I'm here because I love videogames and when LRG releases something that I want to buy, I have no problem doing business with them on their terms. Same for Gamestop, when they get an exclusive of something I want... I'll deal with getting that opened display copy or whatever if I have to. It's making the best of what the market has to offer to get the games I want... and once the average normal gamer (even passionate gamer) starts to see you are just the same as them ... the hate kind of dies down. MOST of us here are all after the same basic thing... great games. IF a little bitching along the way get's a few minor changes that benefit everyone (remember the floating discs and the request I made for testing out other packaging options?).... well, it's worth hanging out even with people we don't always agree with.
Oh look, it's someone quoting straight out of the alt-right playbook. If someone passionately believes in something and disagrees with you, they are automatically "paid" because nobody could ever really have a valid opinion that differs from yours, right? The reality is that you're here because you're a blowhard and you like to engage in passive aggressive attacks on LRG and others disguised as substantive debate. I mean you're constantly posting about how LRG and others can't possibly know the financial terms of other publishers or developers, and yet you have no problem coming up with your own numbers that are fanciful at best.

Here's the thing, your bitching has never caused LRG or anyone else to make a single change to their business model. On the other hand, LRG has adopted a lot of other ideas that were presented in a constructive and positive manner. Your idea for alternate packing was firmly rejected (I recall that according to you, they were supposed to invest in weird cardboard sleeves if my memory is correct). You certainly never proposed a branded cardboard box and LRG was already offering boxes since the beginning albeit at an additional charge. Ironically, I got my first two floaters from LRG in a long time the other day despite the fact that the games were shipped in a box. Of course, because reseating the disc is simple to do using the techniques posted here and elsewhere, I quickly resecured the discs and happily went about my day.

In any event, the constant bitching and criticism has no place here. This is a forum to discuss video game deals and titles that could sell out and climb well above MSRP and therefore are allowed to be posted alongside the deals. We don't need constant business lessons and critiques from people who likely have never run a business and probably never will given their narrow views and lack of common sense. If you really are ok with using LRG when they have a title you want, that's great, but your complaints are just taking up valuable space that could be used actually discussing upcoming titles and sale dates and serve no purpose but to stroke your fragile ego.

It's because of games like Earthbound that we are in the situation we are in. Everybody is buying everything now hoping for the next Earthbound but it will never happen again because a rare game with 4000 copies will have 3950 mint preserved copies from all the people causing games to sell out in 1 second.

Square, your Gifs never get old. Maybe you should post that one in the OP, as "Fair warning" to anyone entering this thread. LOL

Yeah, I still have mine as I bought it from Blockbuster when they closed out renting it. So I have the case and everything. I actually have all the homebrew games as well, minus Hyper Fighting, as the price is to high, but maybe someday.

Yeah, long term play was/is not recommended, but as you stated, it did have a few good games. For sure not one of "N" better ideas, but you have to fail often before you can succeed often times, and the N3DS is 3D done right. Sadly the OG wasn't that great either, but they got it right eventually.
I love me some Teleroboxer. Vertical Force was also a favorite. I only really ever had mild headaches if I played it for an extended period of time.

Red Alarm was my favorite, as I was a HUGE Star Fox fan, and that was as close as the VB got to it.
That would have ranked higher for me if everything wasn't wireframe, As times it was too hard to decipher what constitutes a solid object and what is the absence of a solid object when needing to make split second reactions.

That would have ranked higher for me if everything wasn't wireframe, As times it was too hard to decipher what constitutes a solid object and what is the absence of a solid object when needing to make split second reactions.
Yeah, the wireframe was somewhat a questionable design choice no doubt, so while it looked really cool, I agree, it made it harder than it should have been, but still a really cool effect. WarioLand was another gem, that made the VB worth a go.

I only really ever had mild headaches if I played it for an extended period of time.
You are fortunate. I would get migraine-level headaches, and it would literally feel as though my eyes were burning. I had to lay down with a cool damp towel over my eyes.

This might be something unique to me. I was born with astigmatism, and even Lasik surgery does not correct for that. I suspect that the imbalance in my eyes affects how I react to various forms of 3D technology. I've found that even more modern techniques can give me a mild headache through prolonged exposure.

Or, more likely, LRG actually understands how this business works. Of course, self-centered individuals like yourself only see the short term benefits and don't understand the reason that so many other companies have failed to crack the retail market longer term with niche physical releases.
I can understand LRG's sentiment.

The AV devs could have gone with LRG's plan and if in fact it sold out quickly and they see there's a bigger demand for it, then there was nothing stopping Thomas Happ Games from doing another run with another publisher based on what Doomstink said (LRG release covers are copyrighted/cannot be re-produced but a dev could issue another run with another publisher, a la Soldner X-2).

Going all in right off the bad is pretty risky, no matter how popular the game is.

With all that said, I'm likely gonna triple dip on this.

I can understand LRG's sentiment.

The AV devs could have gone with LRG's plan and if in fact it sold out quickly and they see there's a bigger demand for it, then there was nothing stopping Thomas Happ Games from doing another run with another publisher based on what Doomstink said (LRG release covers are copyrighted/cannot be re-produced but a dev could issue another run with another publisher, a la Soldner X-2).

Going all in right off the bad is pretty risky, no matter how popular the game is.

With all that said, I'm likely gonna triple dip on this.
I think that was part of the backlash. I'm fairly positive it was AV LRG passed on because the dev (well probably Dan) that made it clear that they would do a second print with another publisher and let it slip in advance. LRG folks got peeved over it and passed. Or was that another game? I know it happened with something as it was posted about.

So I don't think that was as open an opportunity as it seems like it is. LRG seemed taken aback by the reprint of Soldner X-2.

You are so right, I bought that SNES Earthbound bundle for 10-15 dollars back in the day at BB(I wish I would have bought 20), and I sold it for a few hundred years later. That's collecting at it's finest. LOL
I once had 15 of those in around late 98 (when nobody even thought about collecting). Thinking flipping them on ebay for $50 after getting them for $10 at Bestbuy was a nice haul. I did keep one for myself and around 03 when the things were hitting $400 I sold it new in 20 minutes on ebay (as I never got around to opening it). Who knew had I just kept holding it I was looking at a 3 grand item (saw one sell new for that last year). The note on EB would be besides it becoming super popular what really increased the price was the whole big box that makes complete ones extreme rare. That made the game skyrocket to the point it rubbed off onto cart only. I honestly don't believe newer games in plastic cases will ever be as rare as the ones that came in boxes we all threw away.

God I remember when my Best Buy had those Earthbound sets just sitting there in BINS.  The big box complete edition with the large strategy guide packed in.  Tons of them.  All sitting there on clearance and no one wanting to buy them.  Judging from the supply it must have been one of the largest forecasting sales flops of all time.  It kills me to think about it to this day.  Mostly because I didn't buy one of them.  Because by all physical accounts the game was obviously trash.  We had our eyes (and allowance filled wallets) on the real RPGs that were $70-80 at other stores. I was twelve at the time and these were my first treasured trips to Best Buy, when my dad would go. 

I remember the scratch n sniff from those well. Enjoyed my big box set and have been continually let down by Nintendo with their refusal to find a way to bring mother 3 out.

It appears to me at least, that LRG is playing the long game(and not the short), where they help themselves, but also help the developers in the best way they know how. All of these games are digital only releases, and for the most part, a lot of the creators didn't have the time, want or desire to do physical(otherwise they would have already), and LRG is helping to change that. Once they do one game, I think it is their long term plan to do 2, 3, or 5 from a developer if they have the library for it.

Most of the works is on LRG end, so pretty much the developer is getting free money signing off on these releases. If LRG does well, a game sales out, then hopefully the developer sees the benefits, and does more. If LRG does a deal that may seem better to the developer, but LRG knows it's going to end bad, it's in their best interest to say so, or just scrap the deal, as to not have any unhappy clients, as that may hurt future business.

I honestly understand both sides of the arguments, in regards to qty's, so I'm not going to say one is right over the other being wrong. I prefer the small qty's due to the collectible status after the games sale out, but I'm also happy to get a physical game like Shovel Knight Vita, and still see it for sale for a long while after release. As "physical" is my personal end game, not high values on the games.

I think with the AV deal, maybe LRG wanted smaller runs, when Dan didn't. Or maybe he wanted a bigger slice of the pie, than LRG was willing to part with. Who Knows? That's between them. LRG is still getting pretty big name titles, and AV is getting a killer physical bundle, so everyone should be happy right?

I think that was part of the backlash. I'm fairly positive it was AV LRG passed on because the dev (well probably Dan) that made it clear that they would do a second print with another publisher and let it slip in advance. LRG folks got peeved over it and passed. Or was that another game? I know it happened with something as it was posted about.

So I don't think that was as open an opportunity as it seems like it is. LRG seemed taken aback by the reprint of Soldner X-2.
I was under the impression that, devs could make more with another publisher if they wanted after the LRG copy sold out but could not reprint the LRG release b/c that was strictly for LRG. That's what happened with Soldner X-2.

Oh well, whatever. Doesn't matter, AV is getting a physical release and LRG is doing fine.

Whoever does the title isn't runner2 bundled with pang?

Edit: oh I see it's not on the sale page yet but that's what Twitter said.

Whoever does the title isn't runner2 bundled with pang?

Edit: oh I see it's not on the sale page yet but that's what Twitter said.
Yeah, I only put things up once they're officially listed onto the site since things could always change last minute (or the day before), as have happened in the past.

Of course, even then, it's not a guarantee. XD

Please, provide us with some examples of other companies that have successfully released multiple niche games at retail on the PS4 or other modern platforms longterm. Even Badland Games that is publishing this has only had one other US release in the several years they have been doing this despite releasing dozens of games in Europe. LRG does cater to collectors and gamers and unfortunately, part of that business model requires building demand and not creating excessive supply. There's a reason companies like 505 Games, Rising Star and others have only released a tiny number of retail PS4 niche or indie games. The down sides to retail far outstrip any potential margins on games retailing for under $30. If there was significant profit to be made in the US for retail niche PS4 games, Sony and every other publisher would be releasing every digital title they could find physically. LRG fills a niche (but it is very much a niche) and it doesn't make people "sheep" to appreciate what they are doing.
I appreciate what Limited Run games does as well, but LRG isn't the all-or-nothing savior of physical media for indie games. Here are some examples you were looking for.

SODESCO - The Last Tinker, Reus, Among the Sleep, Ziggurat, Ether One
SOLD OUT - Overcooked, Prison Architect, Carmageddon
RISING STAR - Zombie Vikings, Wild Guns, Kromaia

I can definitely keep them coming if you need more!

No, that was Slain and we weren't "peeved". The publisher wanted larger distribution so we mutually terminated the contract and they signed with Merge. We've never been "peeved" with a developer for wanting something and we actually do everything we can to help developers first and foremost. Our contract fully allows developers to reprint their games because it's completely unreasonable for us to lock them away in a vault. I'm just not going to be the one to assume the inventory risk inherent in overprinting.

For clarity, I'm not jealous about Axiom Verge. We made a deliberate decision to stop trying to sign it after being disrespected. The developer was set to make $200,000 through us in a single weekend. It will take them months upon months to make that through standard retail. I'm bitter because I don't think the decision to go traditional retail was made with the developer's best interest in mind. You guys can think whatever you want about the situation but please don't put words in my mouth. There's bitterness here but not jealousy.

For reference, only 10,000 copies of this was produced (and I'm not speculating) - it came out months ago at the largest game retailer in the US and it still isn't sold out:

http://m.gamestop.com/product/pc/games/axiom-verge-collectors-edition/130428

Just because a game is phenomenal doesn't mean a retail version is going to sell like gangbusters. There is a lot at play here. Physical media is still a niche.

I appreciate what Limited Run games does as well, but LRG isn't the all-or-nothing savior of physical media for indie games. Here are some examples you were looking for.

SODESCO - The Last Tinker, Reus, Among the Sleep, Ziggurat, Ether One
SOLD OUT - Overcooked, Prison Architect, Carmageddon
RISING STAR - Zombie Vikings, Wild Guns, Kromaia

I can definitely keep them coming if you need more!
Pretty sure that Sold Out has nothing left on the release schedule for 2017 (I believe Sniper 4 was the last release and it wasn't exactly a niche title) and Rising Star does maybe 3-4 games per year tops and went for a good two years with nothing released physically before resuming releases last year. Similarly, Soedesco only has 2-3 more games on the calendar for 2017. Frankly, most brick and mortar retailers don't even carry games by Rising Star and Soedesco, so you end up with defacto on-line retailer exclusives. That's my point. Anyone can pop up and release a few titles at retail in the US. If it was a lucrative business model long term, these publishers would be doing multiple games per month like LRG does. Nobody but LRG has figured out how to release a large number of physical games this generation (and certainly outside of JRPGS, nobody is doing physical Vita titles on a regular basis) because the numbers just don't work for mass retail distribution for most titles, especially niche or indie titles.

Actually Soedesco has been pretty consistent with releasing PS4 games over the last year.  The reason they don't have more games listed for 2017 is they tend to show up on Amazon (and other online retailers) about a month before they come out.  For example Earthlock: Festival of Magic just came out a couple weeks ago and they had a new title listed for the end of March (though don't recall the name right now).  And while they rarely ever sell out, they also rarely go on huge discount.  I think the cheapest I've seen them go was when Adam's Venture Origins was going for under $15 with a $50 MSRP, but that was severely overpriced to begin with.

No, that was Slain and we weren't "peeved". The publisher wanted larger distribution so we mutually terminated the contract and they signed with Merge. We've never been "peeved" with a developer for wanting something and we actually do everything we can to help developers first and foremost. Our contract fully allows developers to reprint their games because it's completely unreasonable for us to lock them away in a vault. I'm just not going to be the one to assume the inventory risk inherent in overprinting.

For clarity, I'm not jealous about Axiom Verge. We made a deliberate decision to stop trying to sign it after being disrespected. The developer was set to make $200,000 through us in a single weekend. It will take them months upon months to make that through standard retail. I'm bitter because I don't think the decision to go traditional retail was made with the developer's best interest in mind. You guys can think whatever you want about the situation but please don't put words in my mouth. There's bitterness here but not jealousy.

For reference, only 10,000 copies of this was produced (and I'm not speculating) - it came out months ago at the largest game retailer in the US and it still isn't sold out:

Just because a game is phenomenal doesn't mean a retail version is going to sell like gangbusters. There is a lot at play here. Physical media is still a niche.
Mic-Drop.gif

Important to note is that it's a PC copy with a Steam code inside.

Important to note is that it's a PC copy with a Steam code inside.
I think the more relevant item here is that comparing physical vs digital for a PC game is not the same as a console/handheld. Most PC game sales are digital but console/handheld games still sell a significant portion on physical media, even if that's a downward trend.

bread's done
Back