Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Josh I tweeted this but I'll type it here also. I have a couple of critiques on this release:

The circle sticker is pretty bad It peals off the cardboard art. Is there any alternative?

Preferably could we get a bit more internal protection kind of how NISA does it? I have never had any issues with them.

The internal box could be fitted a little more to the actual items instead of left being to rattle around in the box where the small fragile papers can get bent.

Hopefully by Skullgirls and Sundred (which I have also put my hard earned money) this can be worked out.
Space within a box can be a common issue, and I've had some places actually add padding within the box, but a better design where everything fits snugly is best, as it saves time.

NISA, I love those guys. They switched warehouses a few years back, and had issues for 1-2 releases, and they have been shipping great ever since. I know a lot of guys/gals prefer their releases through Amazon for the discount, but I'm happy to pay them the $7-$10 for shipping every time, as my orders arrive perfectly. Even when they had issues, I could get 5 replacements until they made good on the issue. Top shelf shipping operation, no doubt.

I've discussed those wafer tabs in the past, and they are all but useless. For so many to have broken in transit, means that those retail boxes are receiving some form of pressure or movement within the shipping box which is causing it to snap. They can be OK, but the box needs to be very secure and well protected, and I just don't ever see LRG having the time to shipping that manner, so a heat shrink wrap would probably be best for items like this. But as Josh has pointed out, PC games do often come in that way, so I guess it's authentic in that regard.

Josh I tweeted this but I'll type it here also. I have a couple of critiques on this release:

The circle sticker is pretty bad It peals off the cardboard art. Is there any alternative?

Preferably could we get a bit more internal protection kind of how NISA does it? I have never had any issues with them.

The internal box could be fitted a little more to the actual items instead of left being to rattle around in the box where the small fragile papers can get bent.

Hopefully by Skullgirls and Sundred (which I have also put my hard earned money) this can be worked out.
I didn't have any sticker problems but I'm gonna 2nd the other critiques. Didn't realize that there'd be no tray inside the box and everything inside would just be bouncing around. Additionally, the lack of an interior tray makes the box itself feel much cheaper... it's the same quality as the old PC boxes but without a tray, the box seems worse than it actually is since it doesn't hold it's shape well and is super flimsy when handled.

Now, this is more of a personal critique but I also don't care for the finish. I don't know what it's called, but it's the finish that's not glossy nor matte- it's like in between.

Remember guys, they chose to eat the costs of the boxes on that game to get a better quality box printed after the original ones didnt meet his expectations.  

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/819264762915803138

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/819621940990214149

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/819622172268331010

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/819622401688371200

Remember guys, they chose to eat the costs of the boxes on that game to get a better quality box printed after the original ones didnt meet his expectations.
OK, I'll play devils advocate here.

So who ordered the original ones that didn't meet expectations? That was LRG correct? So who should eat the cost in that situation? Saying they "chose" to eat the cost, paints a picture like they where doing customers a favor, when it was their mistake that caused the issue to begin with.

Yeah, that sucks, as shipping an inferior product would have sucked to, and would have hurt their reputation. This is a part of business, as is shipping a product and having it arrive in the same condition as it was shipped in. Anything less is an excuse, and we all know in life their is no shortage of those, so lets not make more excuses in a situation like this. Accept responsibility for any and all issues, and do better moving forward.

OK, I'll play devils advocate here.

So who ordered the original ones that didn't meet expectations? That was LRG correct? So who should eat the cost in that situation? Saying they "chose" to eat the cost, paints a picture like they where doing customers a favor, when it was their mistake that caused the issue to begin with.

Yeah, that sucks, as shipping an inferior product would have sucked to, and would have hurt their reputation. This is a part of business, as is shipping a product and having it arrive in the same condition as it was shipped in. Anything less is an excuse, and we all know in life their is no shortage of those, so lets not make more excuses in a situation like this. Accept responsibility for any and all issues, and do better moving forward.
[emoji11] [emoji33] this no one is man enough to say it but this is true.

I didn't have any sticker problems but I'm gonna 2nd the other critiques. Didn't realize that there'd be no tray inside the box and everything inside would just be bouncing around. Additionally, the lack of an interior tray makes the box itself feel much cheaper... it's the same quality as the old PC boxes but without a tray, the box seems worse than it actually is since it doesn't hold it's shape well and is super flimsy when handled.

Now, this is more of a personal critique but I also don't care for the finish. I don't know what it's called, but it's the finish that's not glossy nor matte- it's like in between.
Have you opened your box?

There is a tray. It was a huge expense that I insisted on including because I hate that IndieBox doesn't have them. If you don’t have a tray, that's an issue.

I think everyone is too far removed from original big box releases. Perfectly fitted trays holding every elemeny in place were not common. Apparently we have an issue here where we needed to crete an idealized version of the big box (shrinkwrap instead of wafer seals and maybe even a smaller fitted box like Playism's release) instead of aiming for authenticity. Noting this for future releases but I can't change much now.

The reason big boxes went the way of the dinosaur was all the wasted space in the box. We intentionally wanted to create something like those older releases but apparently that isn't what people want (or they forgot how most of these PC releases were packaged).

Last edited by a moderator:

There is a tray. It was a huge expense that I insisted on including because I hate that IndieBox doesn't have them. If you don’t have a tray, that's an issue.

I think everyone is too far removed from original big box releases. Perfectly fitted trays holding every elemeny in place were not common. Apparently we have an issue here where we needed to crete an idealized version of the big box (shrinkwrap instead of wafer seals and maybe even a smaller fitted box like Playism's release) instead of aiming for authenticity. Noting this for future releases but I can't change much now.

The reason big boxes went the way of the dinosaur was all the wasted space in the box. We intentionally wanted to create something like those older releases but apparently that isn't what people want (or they forgot how most of these PC releases were packaged).
As a collector of big box PC games, I concur with your statements and everyone I've seen on various forums who collects big box PC games has been very complimentary of your work on this release. There were some publishers back in the day that did various cardboard trays or other things to try and keep the jewel cases with the game discs attached inside the cardboard box, but that was definitely the exception and not the rule. Shrinkwrap was also the norm prior to the early 90s, but as boxes became larger (before becoming much smaller in response to complaints by retailers) and more elaborate with things like flaps and odd shapes, shrinkwrap definitely became far less common. As many current big box collectors know, shrinkwrap is not ideal for long term sealed game collecting, especially when surrounding cardboard where it can shrink over time and damage the box.

I think the quality of this release is impressive and I appreciate the opportunity to purchase a big box copy of this particular release. I know you guys try to be participants in the community, but for whatever reason, you have attracted an unusual number of non-customers who enjoy posting negative garbage here and elsewhere. Please don't let it get to you and those of us who purchase your games and get what you're going for appreciate all the effort you put in.

Maybe because the sequel is better and there's already a physical copy of the first one?

Maybe I didnt know the first one had a retail copy, I was going by a image someone posted before that mentioned 1 and 2. And being better has nothing to do with it coming out first.

I get it, this is the internet where you feel the need to make snarky comments in an attempt to feel witty and savvy to make up for your lack of being able to be that in real life but you're failing pretty hard. If you cant actually answer someones question or have a real response to it then anything else is just a waste.

Thanks for playing though.

I would kill for LRG Switch releases. Come on, make it happen!
Id kill for them to spend their time and money on a system where the games become harder and harder to find and is more collectible and will dissapear sooner like the vita.

Dont care about the switch, its just a hot ticket right now but come summer it wont be a big deal anymore. Its just still new and everyone gets caught up in that whole "I NEED EVERYTHING NOW" mode.

Interesting... I'll have to check, I only opened the shipping box, pulled it out and looked at it for 10 seconds before I put it down. I also didn't get a sticker or card with this release, is there supposed to be one?

I also didn't get a sticker or card with this release, is there supposed to be one?
I got a card and sticker but thought they were first come/first serve. You might not have gotten one if you ordered too late?

Maybe I didnt know the first one had a retail copy, I was going by a image someone posted before that mentioned 1 and 2. And being better has nothing to do with it coming out first.

I get it, this is the internet where you feel the need to make snarky comments in an attempt to feel witty and savvy to make up for your lack of being able to be that in real life but you're failing pretty hard. If you cant actually answer someones question or have a real response to it then anything else is just a waste.

Thanks for playing though.
Was I being snarky? I just gave my opinion that the sequel was better than the first one and I took a logical guess since the sequel doesn't have a physical release while the first one did on the Wii and 3DS.

Id kill for them to spend their time and money on a system where the games become harder and harder to find and is more collectible and will dissapear sooner like the vita.
Those are good reasons, and I assure you that LRG is well aware of them. You don't have anything to worry about, LRG will certainly continue to offer physical Vita releases for as long as they can. They will do so for exact reasons you're citing here.

But it is also true that they can't continue to produce Vita games indefinitely, because Sony themselves won't produce Vita games indefinitely. If developer support for the Vita starts to drop off, Sony will shut down the manufacturing for physical Vita cartridges. If you want to see Vita games continue to be released, you would need to encourage game developers to continue targeting it as a porting platform. That can be a pretty tall order, especially when alternatives exist.

And that brings us to the Switch. In many ways, the Switch represents everything the Vita aspired to be. (but failed to achieve) It's a handheld system that straddles the gap between handhelds and home consoles. It is already receiving development support on large-scale console-style games, while also seeing small-scale support for more handheld-friendly indie titles. Rather than go the two-hardware approach to supporting handheld and console gaming, (as the Vita did with the original Vita release and the subsequent PSTV release) it bundles everything required for the experience into a single package. And the early response to the Switch's hardware seems quite strong. People have been buying it in droves, and most of them seem pretty pleased with the general feel of it. It's not much of a stretch to see it start to supplant the role that the Vita was serving in the market, and become the de-facto gaming-specific handheld. (with console functionality as an added bonus)

Interesting... I'll have to check, I only opened the shipping box, pulled it out and looked at it for 10 seconds before I put it down. I also didn't get a sticker or card with this release, is there supposed to be one?
There should be a sticker and card. Double check your shipping box if you still have it. The shipping team slips up sometimes but I don't think they would have here.

Please do not take note of this. The way you guys did this was fucking perfect and was incredibly spot on to the other big box games of the past that I have. the authenticity put into this release was amazing and I couldn't be happier with it. There are always going to be people who bitch about a product no matter how much love you put into it, but I hope you know how much myself and many others LOVE this release because of it's authenticity and accuracy to the big box releases of old. I may not be someone who has purchased every one of your releases, but the care and love you guys put into this release has made a guarantee I will buy from you again in the future. Love it. Thanks guys.

There should be a sticker and card. Double check your shipping box if you still have it. The shipping team slips up sometimes but I don't think they would have here.
Nope, everything you said was correct. I think my late nights of work were making me delirious. Box is in fact solid and not at all flimsy (at worse, the top part just kinda dips in) and the stickers were there, just hidden under the filler brown packing paper.

I'm an idiot. Square, gif me.

anime-scream-gif-1.gif

has there been any word either way on if Switch releases are going to be feasible? don't recall seeing if Nintendo has flat out shot LRG down or if they are still working things out

Its early.  Give it time to even get in peoples hands.  Let LRG do their thing and we will know when they are ready to say something one way or other

If you made your Dear Esther and Swindle purchase with the Oddworld playing cards was there some type of delay on shipping? Mine still haven't shipped, and I can't remember if it was similar to the Skullgirl/ Volume order I'm waiting on.

If you made your Dear Esther and Swindle purchase with the Oddworld playing cards was there some type of delay on shipping? Mine still haven't shipped, and I can't remember if it was similar to the Skullgirl/ Volume order I'm waiting on.
Dear Esther hadn't shown up at last report, so if that is in your order, sit tight, it will ship soon.

My Dear Esther + Swindle purchase hasn't shipped either, I think they've just been tied up with some conventions (though I thought they had a dedicated person handling shipping now?)

Personally I'm tired of Vita releases, strictly from a collecting logistics perspective tracking releases and buying multiple copies of the same games.  It just keeps lingering on and on just when you think you're done and can move on, more physical releases announced. It's exhausting when you start adding new consoles and old ones don't stop.

I love collecting but with Wii U and 3DS going away merged into Switch, with would be nice to go down to two consoles instead of 4 and just have PS4 and Switch once Vita cartridge production ends.

And I certainly don't care for there being simultaneous LRG physical versions for 3 systems at once, especially more than one game per day. Adding more than 2-3 things to cart to checkout is suicide with these sell out windows, low quantities, multiple platforms, and multiple games already.

Id hate to imagine 3 releases on the same morning with PS4, Switch, and Vita versions...Ugh.

Thankfully I don't care about Call of Gears of Halo Football Box.

has there been any word either way on if Switch releases are going to be feasible? don't recall seeing if Nintendo has flat out shot LRG down or if they are still working things out
I want to know too. I would guess the print sizes are going to be larger thats what I am expecting.

I want to know too. I would guess the print sizes are going to be larger thats what I am expecting.
LRG is working on it behind the scenes, so they may announce something soon, or we may go years with nothing. For everyone here interested in this, just expect it not to happen.

It may over time, and if so great, but considering the 3DS/Wii U went nowhere, even if this happens, I think it would require a complete 180 on "N" end, and while they seem interested in improving their current user base, they still seem beyond clueless in many, many areas. I personally don't think they care that much about helping get physical games to fans, for digital only titles.

Personally I'm tired of Vita releases, strictly from a collecting logistics perspective tracking releases and buying multiple copies of the same games.
Lol that's pretty selfish. Just because you buy multiple copies of the same game across different platforms doesn't mean the rest of us should have to not get vita releases. Nobody said you have to buy everything.

I like the portability option for some of these games. It's nice to have choices.

For anyone going to PAX East...

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/839232249258180608

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/839231100987781120

For anyone going to PAX East...

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/839232249258180608

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/839231100987781120
Haven't been in this thread in few days but did they mention if they'd sell some on the website, like they did for Oddworld SW?

Haven't been in this thread in few days but did they mention if they'd sell some on the website, like they did for Oddworld SW?
If there's any leftover, I'm sure they would since it's this weekend.

This is basically what they did last time with Stranger's Wrath, and of course, so pretty much the same setup.

There should be some bundles left since even Stranger's Wrath had some leftovers, so I can't imagine Runner2 "running" out. ;D

There should be some bundles left since even Stranger's Wrath had some leftovers, so I can't imagine Runner2 "running" out. ;D
Yeah, I wouldn't think so either, as Stranger Wrath has a much wider appeal than Runner2, so there should be a decent amount left(fingers crossed).

Yeah, I wouldn't think so either, as Stranger Wrath has a much wider appeal than Runner2, so there should be a decent amount left(fingers crossed).
Pax East is a better attended show than PSX is though. Still, I'm sure there will be some copies held back for bundled sales like last time.

Pax East is a better attended show than PSX is though. Still, I'm sure there will be some copies held back for bundled sales like last time.
True, but you have fans across many different platforms correct? The PSX is Sony specific show, which up to now, LRG is a Sony specific game maker, so while PAX has a bigger attendance, I don't know if that will translate in to more, or less sales for LRG?

I personally think they would sale more at the PSX than at PAX due to the Sony side of what they do, but I could be completely wrong in my assumption.

It'll probably balance out somehow then since more attended show, less appealing title.

Something to that effect. XD

But yeah, in any case, there should be some in the end still for next Friday.

Personally I'm tired of Vita releases, strictly from a collecting logistics perspective tracking releases and buying multiple copies of the same games. It just keeps lingering on and on just when you think you're done and can move on, more physical releases announced. It's exhausting when you start adding new consoles and old ones don't stop.

I love collecting but with Wii U and 3DS going away merged into Switch, with would be nice to go down to two consoles instead of 4 and just have PS4 and Switch once Vita cartridge production ends.

And I certainly don't care for there being simultaneous LRG physical versions for 3 systems at once, especially more than one game per day. Adding more than 2-3 things to cart to checkout is suicide with these sell out windows, low quantities, multiple platforms, and multiple games already.

Id hate to imagine 3 releases on the same morning with PS4, Switch, and Vita versions...Ugh.

Thankfully I don't care about Call of Gears of Halo Football Box.
I'm thinking of putting my entire LRG collection on the bay tbh. Seems like it was a mistake to buy all of the low-quality titles that were released. There's just too many of them and they don't stop coming.

I put my faith and my money into the keen perspective of the company's vision. Last year with Shantae, Firewatch, and Oddworld, I thought we were heading towards a standard of many high-quality titles. But it's mostly been a bunch of standard fare $1-10 Steam games. It was my own mistake for buying all of them. As you've noticed, hype has diminished around here. I believe it's because the standard of quality has dropped.

I'm thinking of putting my entire LRG collection on the bay tbh. Seems like it was a mistake to buy all of the low-quality titles that were released. There's just too many of them and they don't stop coming.

I put my faith and my money into the keen perspective of the company's vision. Last year with Shantae, Firewatch, and Oddworld, I thought we were heading towards a standard of many high-quality titles. But it's mostly been a bunch of standard fare $1-10 Steam games. It was my own mistake for buying all of them. As you've noticed, hype has diminished around here. I believe it's because the standard of quality has dropped.
Do you ever contribute anything useful or is every post of yours a complaint or attack on someone or something? I can only assume you are a very unhappy person to keep spewing the negativity that you post on a daily basis. By the way, the continuing quick sell-outs every release day would seem to negate your point that the "hype has diminished".

They said via twitter that they set a large portion aside to sell online. They plan on doing a bundle like they did with Stranger's Wrath

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/839232531404845059

At this point, I'd image there's a lot of others thinking the same. It was probably easy before to have an entire "LRG" set but the number of releases they're having seems to be ramping up quickly.

They said via twitter that they set a large portion aside to sell online. They plan on doing a bundle like they did with Stranger's Wrath

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/839232531404845059
Nice, thanks!

My hype has diminished honestly. Course I only buy releases i'm interested in. Think just Cosmic Star Heroine and Narcissu are the ones left I'm looking forward to. The physical PC The Silver Case was well done though.

Don't take it so hard if you don't like the games they are able to produce...just don't buy them! I mean, I get that we all want to see a consistent streak of quality releases and want a higher standard, but chances are there is someone out there that really wanted to own a physical copy of something like Lone Survivor and is overjoyed.

Seems to me that the limited, scalping aspect of the culture has led to greater scrutiny and criticism of the games themselves. And I guess that is justified in a sense, because the business model provides that opportunity....we would normally believe that a game we think is shitty won't sell and they will learn from it, but there's a perception around here that since the games sell out regardless, no one learns anything. I get that point, but at the end of the day we all speak with our wallet, and when we think games suck we have to be able to exhibit enough self control to stop buying them, even if it's just for our own well-being and not with the ulterior motive of trying to send a consumer message to LRG. The games are limited enough that they are going to sell anyway, so make the decision to buy or not for yourself, first and foremost, and don't stress whatever else happens. 

So what's the benefit of going to a trade show when all your games sell out anyway? Is it just to build brand awareness with game makers and to potentially make some deals? Seems like they kinda have to make cover variants just to pay for the booth.

bread's done
Back