Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Wow I am so late to this LRG game. I so would've gotten the Shantae's back if I had known about this. Oh well I'm watching this thread from now on! Definitely wish I could've gotten oddworld too.

I want to thank LRG for making me open my Astebreed to see if it actually had data on it. Won't be supporting these guys ever again even though they are literally 15 miles from me.

I want to thank LRG for making me open my Astebreed to see if it actually had data on it. Won't be supporting these guys ever again even though they are literally 15 miles from me.
What are you talking about? You think they sold you a blank disc? I'm not sure how distance plays any role into this ether.

What are you talking about? You think they sold you a blank disc? I'm not sure how distance plays any role into this ether.
I'm sure this guy saw a post somewhere indicating that one specific copy of the game didn't work. I think the guy who got the bad copy posted multiple places and that's why it seemed like a widespread issue. I'm not aware of any other reports of non-working discs and there is a small "lemon" rate even on commercially released games which is why most retailers have an exchange or return policy.

Did you even contact them first or did you just run off like a half cocked dumbass when that first tinge of panic hit?

wait...astebreed has an issue?  now i wanna trump this up as being a bigger thing than it is... and complain everywhere about it without actually trying t get it resolved with LRG.... because karma and points.  

but seriously tho, im leaving mine sealed.  I'm hoping to use it as trade bait later on if i miss any of the vita releases..as i dont really want it.  

You guys are right, I'm just a big dumb panda. I don't know what I was thinking. Forget I even said anything. I'm just another troll on the internet with nothing better to do.

Wait, they press their own discs?  That's really, really unfortunate, and I wish I knew this before.  Unless they're using factory-grade machinery in their studio, the lifespan of their optical games is dramatically reduced.  Yikes, what do I do now? :s

First time I'm hearing about this Astebreed issue, if true at all.

Wait, they press their own discs? That's really, really unfortunate, and I wish I knew this before. Unless they're using factory-grade machinery in their studio, the lifespan of their optical games is dramatically reduced. Yikes, what do I do now? :s
Can't tell if you're being serious or not. The answer is no. There wouldn't be delays if LRG pressed their own discs.

First time I'm hearing about this Astebreed issue, if true at all.

Can't tell if you're being serious or not. The answer is no. There wouldn't be delays if LRG pressed their own discs.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I said nothing about delays, I talked about the lifespan of the discs.

It doesn't matter either way, LRG doesn't press their own discs.
So the person above who talked about how they didn't know LRG pressed their own discs was being sarcastic then? That's good to know. Thanks. I've seen some smaller outfits actually burning their own discs rather than having them formally made.

Wait, they press their own discs? That's really, really unfortunate, and I wish I knew this before. Unless they're using factory-grade machinery in their studio, the lifespan of their optical games is dramatically reduced. Yikes, what do I do now? :s
No. I was making fun of people bitching at LRG for things like blank discs and shitty cases.

They are all manufactured by Sony.

That's part of why it's a bitch getting every release because they are official region one NA releases. Well... they say region all and they don't say ESRB but they are produced and sold in NA and don't have a PEGI or Asian rating, that makes them NA games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I said nothing about delays, I talked about the lifespan of the discs.
I still answered your question. "No"

I only added the part of delay because if LRG made their own discs, they wouldn't have to wait on Sony. But delays do happen since they have to wait for their shipment, which means Sony presses the discs, not them :roll:

Oh what a conundrum. Can't bear the thought of opening your sealed copy of Astebreed, but can't handle the lingering curiosity of whether the game inside is defective, which you would have never known anyway if you hadn't opened it. Your sealed copy of Oddworld might actually have a Yanni's greatest hits disc inside...might wanna check. 

Which one is gonna be worth more? A sealed Oddworld with a Yanni disc probably go for a pretty penny years down the line. And if all the other LRG games run flawlessly except Astebreed, wouldn't that make it an exception and hence be the rare nonworking LRG release to have?

Collecting is weird, these backlogs of games we'll never touch and all of a sudden rumors of a game not working correctly and everyone is in a tissy.

[attachment=26368:compare.jpg][attachment=26369:compare 2.jpg]

There's a new competitor in town for these "Limited edition/run" games.... I think the pictures (posted some side by side comparisons) speak for themselves.

BOTH Play Asia and Limited Run Games sell these games on average of $30USD with limited runs of around 3K.... so the question is, who would you rather do a special limited edition of your favorite indie game, considering similar prices and print runs?

hmmmm ???? and for the record, I love both companies, and support both with their releases. I'm just saying, Play Asia is good competition to say the least :)    ....

compare.jpg compare 2.jpg

There's a new competitor in town for these "Limited edition/run" games.... I think the pictures (posted some side by side comparisons) speak for themselves.

BOTH Play Asia and Limited Run Games sell these games on average of $30USD with limited runs of around 3K.... so the question is, who would you rather do a special limited edition of your favorite indie game, considering similar prices and print runs?

hmmmm ???? and for the record, I love both companies, and support both with their releases. I'm just saying, Play Asia is good competition to say the least :) ....
They're also bigger than LRG and have been around for longer.

attachicon.gif
compare.jpg
attachicon.gif
compare 2.jpg

BOTH Play Asia and Limited Run Games sell these games on average of $30USD with limited runs of around 3K.... so the question is, who would you rather do a special limited edition of your favorite indie game, considering similar prices and print runs?

hmmmm ???? and for the record, I love both companies, and support both with their releases. I'm just saying, Play Asia is good competition to say the least :) ....
I'd much rather have US region releases over Asian, so LRG for me. I also don't like Play Asia's website, it's customer service, it's security issues over the years and the total failure of their payment system that somehow allowed them to charge my credit card the difference when they claimed they didn't store it after they only charged me shipping initially. They shouldn't have had that credit card info stored but should have contacted me to pay the difference and it makes me uncomfortable that it's now subject to a hack.

attachicon.gif
compare.jpg
attachicon.gif
compare 2.jpg

I like how you hid the fact that there is a giant orange PAL/PEGI or green Asia stamp on the game. I'd dare say it was on purpose :D

That's an important distinction for people trying to be reasonable and only collect full sets for a particular regional alignment, usually their own geographic location.

A huge driver of LRG is that they are technically US releases and are thus mandatory for a 100% NA library that is the most sought after for many collectors. And there appear to be a lot of people who are new to collecting who missed the boat on prior generations who have committed to being 100% on newer systems from Wii U / Vita / PS4 and onward.

The massive explosion in game collecting happened sometime after the launch of 7th generation in 2005. For many people who took up collecting mid generation cycle, and have written off prior generations as a lost cause due to reseller prices, Vita, Wii U, PS4, and Switch are the first systems to launch since they decided to start collecting. So they are more committed since they can obtain every single game at MRSP or below from launch day before the speculation and reselling starts getting out of control after the fact. It's no surprise how many people have or are close to 100% on Wii U and Vita. Both came out in 2011-2012 after they became a collector, both had short runs with < 150 releases, so it's easily obtainable low hanging fruit compared to say SNES or TurboGrafx for someone that only started collecting in 2006.

And most of the people I've seen who have publicly committed to complete Vita/Wii U/PS4 sets are NA/US region.

While I can appreciate some of these other releases, they don't have the same weight or urgency as LRG for someone desperate to keep their 100% NA collection going when there is a giant orange or green logo in the lower right corner. That makes it immediately non mandatory for a NA/US collector outside of being an extra optional trinket on the side for fun.

You don't see anywhere near the hype or reseller interest for Play Asia, Signature Games UK, or Rice UK releases as you do for LRG, Iffy, NIS, etc. Except in the cases where Rice somehow inexplicably has an exclusive US/ESRB version of a game not even released in the US ....

That said Blue Rider looks gorgeous. I wish it was NA/US :D I may even pick it up still if its readily available but if not, no big.

For only $30 (plus about $5 shipping) PA really nailed it on the Blue Rider release. I'm looking forward to getting Cursed Castilla, I bet it will be similar quality, and a perfect style of game for a limited release.

At this point I would rather support Play asia as they give far better value at the price point
I'm always glad to see more competition in any area of gaming, as it's good for the consumer in regards to options and pricing. One thing I would point out to those singing the Play-Asia praises in regards to what you get and the pricing. When it comes to CS beware, as they are not the best when it comes to lost, damaged, or just any issues in general.

They do have excellent packaging, as I may even buy any new Amiibo from them, as I know 100% they will arrive safely(it's worth the extra cost to me). So it is not a normal issue to get items damaged from them, but when it does happen, or if an order is lost(which can happen when dealing with international orders), and it may take months to get any issues properly resolved, so just be aware of this.

I like how you hid the fact that there is a giant orange PAL/PEGI or green Asia stamp on the game. I'd dare say it was on purpose :D

That's an important distinction for people trying to be reasonable and only collect full sets for a particular regional alignment, usually their own geographic location.

A huge driver of LRG is that they are technically US releases and are thus mandatory for a 100% NA library that is the most sought after for many collectors. And there appear to be a lot of people who are new to collecting who missed the boat on prior generations who have committed to being 100% on newer systems from Wii U / Vita / PS4 and onward.

The massive explosion in game collecting happened sometime after the launch of 7th generation in 2005. For many people who took up collecting mid generation cycle, and have written off prior generations as a lost cause due to reseller prices, Vita, Wii U, PS4, and Switch are the first systems to launch since they decided to start collecting. So they are more committed since they can obtain every single game at MRSP or below from launch day before the speculation and reselling starts getting out of control after the fact. It's no surprise how many people have or are close to 100% on Wii U and Vita. Both came out in 2011-2012 after they became a collector, both had short runs with < 150 releases, so it's easily obtainable low hanging fruit compared to say SNES or TurboGrafx for someone that only started collecting in 2006.

And most of the people I've seen who have publicly committed to complete Vita/Wii U/PS4 sets are NA/US region.

While I can appreciate some of these other releases, they don't have the same weight or urgency as LRG for someone desperate to keep their 100% NA collection going when there is a giant orange or green logo in the lower right corner. That makes it immediately non mandatory for a NA/US collector outside of being an extra optional trinket on the side for fun.

You don't see anywhere near the hype or reseller interest for Play Asia, Signature Games UK, or Rice UK releases as you do for LRG, Iffy, NIS, etc. Except in the cases where Rice somehow inexplicably has an exclusive US/ESRB version of a game not even released in the US ....

That said Blue Rider looks gorgeous. I wish it was NA/US :D I may even pick it up still if its readily available but if not, no big.
You made several valid points here that I agree with but most of them only apply to serious collectors and people going for 100% NA sets, and I'm not even sure that was the point of his post, seemed to me that he was just wanting to gush about the overall quality and presentation of the product we received (Blue Rider) which I agree was stellar.

I am by no means going for a 100% PS4 set. That's crazy to me, and way outside my window of spending. Especially with how successful the PS4 has been and will continue to be, we could end up with thousands of games for region 1 alone. People like him and I probably fall into another niche category of gamers who want to own physical copies of all of their games but don't want to go for a full set. While I would prefer to keep my personal collection (I'm up to 102 PS4 games now) region 1, I don't have a problem with buying a PAL game if it's something I want to play and it's only available in that region/format. I'm actually about to grab Slain, and while I wish it were a region 1 release, I'll take a PAL physical copy over a digital download any day of the week.

You made several valid points here that I agree with but most of them only apply to serious collectors and people going for 100% NA sets, and I'm not even sure that was the point of his post, seemed to me that he was just wanting to gush about the overall quality and presentation of the product we received (Blue Rider) which I agree was stellar.

I am by no means going for a 100% PS4 set. That's crazy to me, and way outside my window of spending. Especially with how successful the PS4 has been and will continue to be, we could end up with thousands of games for region 1 alone. People like him and I probably fall into another niche category of gamers who want to own physical copies of all of their games but don't want to go for a full set. While I would prefer to keep my personal collection (I'm up to 102 PS4 games now) region 1, I don't have a problem with buying a PAL game if it's something I want to play and it's only available in that region/format. I'm actually about to grab Slain, and while I wish it were a region 1 release, I'll take a PAL physical copy over a digital download any day of the week.
Totally agree. No way I could get a complete NA set for either PS4 or Vita, but that's fine, because there are genres of games that I just don't enjoy and won't buy just to add them to my collection. I buy the games I like, and Blue Rider and Cursed Castilla are both solidly in that category (Slain too, although the difficulty is a bit rough).

I preordered the Vita LE of Slain (not out yet), and have been thinking about the PS4 version. Which version did you order?

I don't have a problem with buying a PAL game if it's something I want to play and it's only available in that region/format. I'm actually about to grab Slain, and while I wish it were a region 1 release, I'll take a PAL physical copy over a digital download any day of the week.
Same here, I have most of the PAL Vita releases where a US version wasn't going to happen. I think Child of Light is the only exception, as they stealth released that in the US, and then I found out the PAL version is more complete, as some extra content is included, where it wasn't in the US version, so I was still happy with the PAL version because of this. I only bought that version originally, as there was no plans for a US version. I recently got the PAL Epic Mickey title, as the US rated version is just silly in price, and I was happy to get the EU version on the cheap(at least compered to the US rated one).

I have a rather decent Vita collection, but I doubt I'll ever have 100% complete, as I just don't see buying certain titles, but if I can continue to get games here and there at decent prices, who knows? But considering how any day, the Vita could be 100% ended, I'm sure certain titles will continue to rise in price, and might make it hard.

Every one of these companies has pros and cons. I don't support companies out of loyalty, I support them when they have games I actually want to own physically. When the game is right, ultimately as long as the company can take a payment and get me the game it's good. If they go above and beyond with packaging materials, customer service, and other stuff... even better.

so the question is, who would you rather do a special limited edition of your favorite indie game, considering similar prices and print runs?
Yacht Club Games

The availability will be the best (no fighting for copies) because they'll either do preorders through Fangamer or they'll do a limited Retail release which will include sites like Amazon. To me, availability trumps most things when it comes to my "favorite indie game". A nice bonus to the game is that it'll likely be a full NA release with an ESRB logo and all if YCG handles it. While this isn't a major factor in my purchasing decisions, it's cool when a game actually looks fit for retail shelves versus the more generic unofficial looking releases that have no rating on the cover and strange numbers on the spine. As for packaging, with the Vita version of Shovel Knight, Fangamer sent the games out in a custom folded vita box thing. While I've not had a damaged vita game from a bubble envelope yet... that extra effort in packaging means a lot.

Still..

I don't get a choice of who gets the games I want. So fantasy decisions like this aren't very meaningful. All I can do is hope with more companies doing this stuff there's a better chance I'll get some of the games I actually love in physical form. I can also hope that as one company does something better than the other (CS, Shipping materials, weeding out Resellers, making games more available and less frustrating to buy), that all of the companies raise their game a little. It would be nice if there wasn't a list of cons for each company.

I preordered the Vita LE of Slain (not out yet), and have been thinking about the PS4 version. Which version did you order?
I haven't bought it yet, but I'm probably just going to get the standard edition for PS4 as opposed to the Signature edition, for budgetary reasons. I want to play Slain mostly because it reminds me of SOTN, but with as hard as people are saying it is, I'm not sure how much I'll really invest into it if it starts getting me super frustrated, lol.

Totally agree. No way I could get a complete NA set for either PS4 or Vita, but that's fine, because there are genres of games that I just don't enjoy and won't buy just to add them to my collection. I buy the games I like, and Blue Rider and Cursed Castilla are both solidly in that category (Slain too, although the difficulty is a bit rough).

Something to consider if you order any PS4 CEs: loose discs can't be fixed in a CE. I have both Aragami and Slain from SEG and Aragami arrived ok, but Slain was a loose disc. I didn't wanna return it (would cost a fortune) so I asked the guys to check my copy before sending to make sure it wasn't a loose disc, they said they would (and just after shipping it, they emailed me saying they checked it before sending) and that one also arrived with a loose disc.

I'm going for a complete PS4 and Vita collection and it hasn't been too intense. one of my friends already surpassed 300 ps4 games last week.

I'm at 477 on PS4 though a great many are duplicates that are difficult to eliminate from a simple like count (CE and normal editions etc).  It's easier to look at the sliding FIFO window of the 30 confirmed releases I don't have yet that I use to wait for sales, etc. 

New game comes out at 59.99 and if I don't feel like getting it right away I'll pop an older, more likely to be out of stock soon sub $30 game off the top and add the new releases to the bottom to keep that "don't have" list a fixed manageable size.  Generally that means the list is also the most recent releases as a result and never has anything older than 3 months or so.

Always a razors edge and constant struggle between waiting for a decent sale vs being discontinued. Resellers are quick with inflating prices when that happens.  I don't wait too long.  If I notice something  starting to be 3rd party only and resellers start licking their lips I might have to settle for $59.99 at Fry's or Walmart or some place like that. I never wait long enough for something to be completely gone at every real retailer at the same time.  When Best Buy and Amazon aren't stocking it anymore it's time to scramble.  Usually I'm able to catch most games at $32 tops but worse case is I lose my $12 minimum GCU/Prime discount but still never more than MSRP.

Of course I've been doing this enough to know what to prioritize.  The small Sodesco and Nordic releases, the $19 new physical indie games, the niche Japanese titles, the obscure stuff or silent physical ports eons after the digital or international release that get no attention (eg Gravity Rush) etc. Mainstream Western AAA games generally have the lowest priority as they're are billions of them and they aren't going anywhere.

Something to consider if you order any PS4 CEs: loose discs can't be fixed in a CE. I have both Aragami and Slain from SEG and Aragami arrived ok, but Slain was a loose disc. I didn't wanna return it (would cost a fortune) so I asked the guys to check my copy before sending to make sure it wasn't a loose disc, they said they would (and just after shipping it, they emailed me saying they checked it before sending) and that one also arrived with a loose disc.
I mean, it's entirely possible the disc came loose in transit

Looks at it this way: if these PS4 games aren't going to be opened, then a loose disc is an easy way to prove the game is in it and not an empty case. If these PS4 games are going to be played, then the game will be taken out of the case and put back in to secure it after being played.

Basically, I, like I'm sure other are, am tired of all the loose disc talk.

Just to make sure you guys know - it isn't Play-Asia doing those releases. It's eastasiasoft - Play-Asia is just the distributor. I'd prefer that credit for these releases go to the guy actually making them happen. Nils (who runs EAS) is a collector so he gets this better than any of our other "competitors" (in quotes because I don't necessarily feel like we're all competitors here). Nils is legit and isn't just jumping on a bandwagon like some of the others.

You guys are right, I'm just a big dumb panda. I don't know what I was thinking. Forget I even said anything. I'm just another troll on the internet with nothing better to do.
We don't press our own discs. Everything is manufactured by Sony and sent to us sealed from their factory. If a game doesn't work, we played no part in that. This did not affect all Astebreed discs nor has it ever been an issue in the past. I expect that Sony will swiftly resolve this for us when we bring it up with them.

As we have no part in the actual manufacturing of these, you're just as likely to see this issue with ANY PS4 game. Giving up on us solely because of this one experience, without even contacting us, is ill advised. We'll get you a functioning copy. This isn't something we had control over.

Do you guys still use those blue LRG boxes or have you moved on the more cube-ish shape white boxes that I got for my recent order (Astebreed, Pang)?

Frankly, while the blue LRG boxes were cool, they were a bit too cozy for 3 games + OST. I liked the white box more.
We're trying to maintain a wider variety of sizes so we can better fit orders. Can't guarantee what boxes will be used for what configurations, though, as that will come down to the shipping team which I don't really oversee.

bread's done
Back