Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
The only "poorly drafted" posts are your own, where time and again you attack people from having different opinions from your own. I understand that you have a large collection of Wii (and probably Wii U) games, but you need to step back and not feel personally insulted when people express opinions that are different from your own. The gaming community has spoken with respect to the Wii U, and it was judged a failure and is now dead in terms of future games (and ultimately had a small overall library in the end). Time to move on.

As for the Wii, it's one of the more embarrassing systems ever released, and largely forgotten by all but the most diehard Nintendo fans, thankfully.
I don't feel personally insulted. I just think it's ridiculous that you jump into thread after thread and discussion after discussion (including into many threads about preorders for things you know by the title you will never buy) always looking to express your hatred of Nintendo and its products. It must really kill you that people are still buying the Switch months after release and that demand seems to just keep growing. Frankly, I wouldn't have predicted it, but after buying one, I believe it's one of the neatest consoles ever released and that comes from somebody who literally owns them all.

I've been a gamer and collector for decades and unlike yourself, I recognize that just because something doesn't do well commercially isn't necessarily a reflection of its worth. Sometimes people start to recognize what was missed the first time around and sometimes they don't. To me all that matters at the end of the day is the games and both the Wii and WiiU had some exclusive games that will be sought after down the line, not just because of rarity, but also because they were just great games. Thankfully, the same can be said about many other defunct systems. The fact that you can't appreciate that there are amazing games on Nintendo platforms (just like there are on Sony, Microsoft, Sega and many other platforms) is sad for you, but thankfully has no impact on the rest of us. Nobody wants or needs your negativity all the time. If you don't like something, fine. Express your opinion and go away.

Guaranteed. It's a niche platform from a storied developer, with unique experiences and a bizarre hardware setup that is not easy to emulate. Guaranteed collectible monster. Low supply on the hardware and games is going to drive the collectible prices through the roof. If you're a game collector, you need to jump on the Wii U RIGHT NOW.
So... VirtualBoy 2?

Lower specs do not cause a console to fail, frequently the opposite is true. NES, PS1, PS2, DS, Wii, the history of video games is littered with examples of technically inferior platforms managing to outsell and out support technically superior platforms.
That's no longer going to be true because they're no longer all vastly different architectures.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't like something, fine. Express your opinion and go away.
Sounds like you need to follow your own advice. I did express my opinion and you apparently felt the need (as you have with many others here) to attack that opinion and try to substitute your own Almighty Truth. We get it, you're a huge Nintendo fan that would literally buy a turd-in-a-box shaped like Mario, if Nintendo sold one. The rest of the majority of gamers feels otherwise, as evidenced by the premature failure of the Wii and Wii U. It's a hard truth that some people will never accept.

So... VirtualBoy 2?
In a way, yes. Though the Wii U won't actively physically harm you. (I have a Virtual Boy, crazy collector) The Virtual Boy failed for much different reasons than the Wii U. It's always the draw-card for when someone wants to compare something to an abysmal failure.

But for long-term collecting, there are some valid parallels that can be drawn. I'm not just trying to throw out opinions here. I'm providing a long-term analysis for the potential of the Wii U in the second-hand market. You may hate the Wii U, that won't change how the second-hand market reacts to the platform down the road. (ditto for the Wii) And when you're a collector, one of the holy grails is to detect the "sweet-spot." That magic point in time where the prices on games and systems bottoms out. It always comes around, and for the Wii U that time is drawing close.

Thanks to the internet, knowledge about this sort of thing spreads a lot faster than it did in the past, so the sweet-spot is shrinking as documentation becomes more readily accessible. This is why I would advocate to start looking seriously at the Wii U for acquisition at this point. The price on the hardware on the second hand market may go down by about $20-$30 from its current price. But I don't see it going any lower than that, and in five-ten years, it will start going up. And past that point it will only rise. Twenty years from now you won't be able to acquire a used Wii U for less than $300. Mint in-box Wii U's will be worth twice that.

The prices on games are similar. We've actually already passed by the trough for some titles. There are already early-release Wii U games that are becoming difficult to find, not just on store shelves, but second-hand as well. And it's because a lot of collectors have already clued into this trend, and are sitting on the Wii U copies they already have. The small supply coupled with Nintendo branding and nostalgia is going to drive the second-hand prices for the Wii U and its games through the roof. The longer it's off the market, the more pronounced this trend will be. We've reached the point where the Wii U is on the way out. It's been dropped like an anchor. The savvy collectors started snatching up copies of Wii U games on the cheap a year or two ago. If you are a collector and you don't get in NOW, you are going to be paying ridiculous premiums down the line.

Sounds like you need to follow your own advice. I did express my opinion and you apparently felt the need (as you have with many others here) to attack that opinion and try to substitute your own Almighty Truth. We get it, you're a huge Nintendo fan that would literally buy a turd-in-a-box shaped like Mario, if Nintendo sold one. The rest of the majority of gamers feels otherwise, as evidenced by the premature failure of the Wii and Wii U. It's a hard truth that some people will never accept.
The truth is apparently something you're not willing to accept yourself. The Wii is one of the most successful platforms of all time selling over 100 million units worldwide. There are also many first and third party titles that are beloved on the platform and that sold millions of copies. As such, I really don't understand your claim that it was a failure unless you mean it was a personal failure to you. The WiiU obviously did not sell well and the library is ultimately fairly small, but there were a number of exclusives that I believe will be recognized as great games by a broader swath of the gaming and collecting community down the road. I believe the Swtich will do somewhere in between and its legacy has already been locked in with the release of Breath of the Wild.

The price on the hardware on the second hand market may go down by about $20-$30 from its current price. But I don't see it going any lower than that, and in five-ten years, it will start going up. And past that point it will only rise. Twenty years from now you won't be able to acquire a used Wii U for less than $300. Mint in-box Wii U's will be worth twice that.
Put $150 in an index fund, buy your Wii in 20 years and keep the extra. Got it.

The truth is apparently something you're not willing to accept yourself. The Wii is one of the most successful platforms of all time selling over 100 million units worldwide. There are also many first and third party titles that are beloved on the platform and that sold millions of copies. As such, I really don't understand your claim that it was a failure unless you mean it was a personal failure to you. The WiiU obviously did not sell well and the library is ultimately fairly small, but there were a number of exclusives that I believe will be recognized as great games by a broader swath of the gaming and collecting community down the road. I believe the Swtich will do somewhere in between and its legacy has already been locked in with the release of Breath of the Wild.
While the Wii sold very well for a few years to a large group of casuals, it died very abruptly when the novelty of the waggle fad fizzled out. Wii hardware and software sales literally fell off a cliff years before the competition, which is why Nintendo had to rush out the Wii U. In the end, the Wii did a lot of damage to Nintendo's brand and image in the gaming community and industry. Now it languishes in thrift shops and the games sit in huge piles of forgotten shovelware.

The Wii U was a poorly designed, underpowered, feature-lacking followup to the Wii, again built entirely around an unappealing gimmick, the expensive and spec-sapping gamepad. People don't want to try to shift attention between two screens or use gimmicky motion controls just to play games, as evidenced by the abysmal reception of Star Fox Zero. The Wii U was indeed a failure, not for me personally (why would I buy one?), but for the gaming community as a whole.

The jury is out on the Switch, as of now Nintendo is doing their classic supply-throttling to stoke demand. Besides a few indies and a handful of first party titles, there aren't many games coming. The Switch is unable to compete with the current generation consoles in terms of technology, so it would get watered down ports of 3rd party games (except the indie games) at best. It certainly will be interesting how sales of the handheld go throughout this year and into next year, after the initial frenzy dies down and the game library stays fairly small. A few big Nintendo games weren't enough to save the Wii U, and they won't be enough for the Switch either, assuming 3rd party developers stay away.

This thread is starting to remind me of the "SNES Classic pre-order" thread. 

We should just stop with threads altogether. Just turn CAG into one big thread where anything goes. 

This thread is starting to remind me of the "SNES Classic pre-order" thread.

We should just stop with threads altogether. Just turn CAG into one big thread where anything goes.
Yeah, this train got crazy de-railed. I'm kinda responsible because I asked what Wii game some dude bought. LOL. Didn't know it was going to turn into such an epic discussion but I'll admit it's been entertaining. I love the passionate CAG life.

While the Wii sold very well for a few years to a large group of casuals, it died very abruptly when the novelty of the waggle fad fizzled out. Wii hardware and software sales literally fell off a cliff years before the competition, which is why Nintendo had to rush out the Wii U. In the end, the Wii did a lot of damage to Nintendo's brand and image in the gaming community and industry. Now it languishes in thrift shops and the games sit in huge piles of forgotten shovelware.

The Wii U was a poorly designed, underpowered, feature-lacking followup to the Wii, again built entirely around an unappealing gimmick, the expensive and spec-sapping gamepad. People don't want to try to shift attention between two screens or use gimmicky motion controls just to play games, as evidenced by the abysmal reception of Star Fox Zero. The Wii U was indeed a failure, not for me personally (why would I buy one?), but for the gaming community as a whole.

The jury is out on the Switch, as of now Nintendo is doing their classic supply-throttling to stoke demand. Besides a few indies and a handful of first party titles, there aren't many games coming. The Switch is unable to compete with the current generation consoles in terms of technology, so it would get watered down ports of 3rd party games (except the indie games) at best. It certainly will be interesting how sales of the handheld go throughout this year and into next year, after the initial frenzy dies down and the game library stays fairly small. A few big Nintendo games weren't enough to save the Wii U, and they won't be enough for the Switch either, assuming 3rd party developers stay away.
Your statement about Wii sales is literally factually incorrect. Here is a link to a chart that was pulled from Nintendo's financial reports and it clearly shows sales continued to grow at double digit rates on the Wii from release until roughly five years after release. It wasn't just a bunch of people at the beginning and there is no way that people continued to jump on board solely because of "waggle" hype even a year or two after release. People continued to buy the console long after the hype was gone and continued to buy games for it many years after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales

Your statements about the WiiU are purely your opinion. Personally, I didn't love the giant control pad, but there were some great games for it and I believe the collectors market will catch up with it just as it has started to with the Wii.

You're right about the verdict being out on the Switch. It doesn't change the fact that whether it succeeds or not, Breath of the Wild is one of the all-time great games on any platform and if you don't own either a WiiU or Switch, you're missing out.

Alright guys, I think the debate has run it's course. Nobody is changing anybody's mind and the thread is completely off topic. Can we all agree to just let each side go and then focus on LRG again? 

The Wii has some good games, and I don't usually say this but I really can't stand the standard def pixelated graphics of the Wii most of the time. It just looks so old. I'm not a graphical snob either. I think the Wii U game resolutions look great and we've even gotten past the level of diminishing returns with current graphics performance to the point where anything beyond PS3 levels doesn't really matter. But the Wii games just look so poor... The great RPGs like Xenoblade, The Last Story, etc don't entice me to go back to the platform. Metroid Prime trilogy is the only thing I have gone back to play in recent years.

I sincerely hope they do HD re-releases for Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. Same with all the Operation Rainfall games but that's not going to happen. The graphical performance really takes away from the experience. The Wii controllers can be really frustrating at times too.
Yup. 240p and 480p look good for 2D art.

Wii is stuck in the 5th gen 6th look where everything was early 3D but standard def, and just does not age well.

I mean Xenogears on PS1 is my fav game of all time but good god early 3D graphics are terrible.

Yeah, this train got crazy de-railed. I'm kinda responsible because I asked what Wii game some dude bought. LOL. Didn't know it was going to turn into such an epic discussion but I'll admit it's been entertaining. I love the passionate CAG life.
What's so funny, is today was a LRG release day, and there has been little to no discussion about that at all.

EDIT: Normally by this point the thread would have been derailed with the "Ebay Chris" discussion, so same dog, different flea I guess. LOL

Yes, but it was also a single-game exclusive day. Contractually, Jotun has this LRG release day all to themselves. And what is there to say, really? Jotun is a fairly well-reviewed title that has an existing fanbase. It will sell out quickly. This is all fairly obvious and expected for anyone familiar with how LRG releases usually work. Unless you wanted to dredge up the usual laundry list of complaints, there's not much worth discussing when it comes to this release. And since it's just one game coming out today, I don't even feel a particular need to complain about how my wallet is suffering.

Now, next week... that's going to be a different matter. NeuroVoider and Drive, Drive, Drive are both coming out on the same day. And I believe the week after that is OceanHorn and Plague Road, both of which are going to have Vita and PS4 options. I weep for the completionists that week.

WiiU is a commercial failure.  Dreamcast was a commercial failure.  Vita is a commercial failure (and hasn't it sold worse than the WiiU?).  Ultimately none of that matters as all of these systems have great games and all of them will have people collecting for them.   I mean right here we have people buying for the commercially dead Vita... a system where they don't even put new systems out at regular retail in North America.   None of the hate has really ever stopped me from looking for games I'd enjoy on any system.  It didn't matter how kiddy the GC was, how much waggle was hated on the Wii, or how bad the Dreamcast was vs the PS2's fabled Toy Story graphics.   Games are the important part and for every system (as a GAG) that I picked the dead bones of when everyone was selling stuff off cheap for the next gen... I typically made my money back or a nice profit later when I was done playing the games and ready to sell them off.

If anything I'd say this is the perfect time to pick the dead bones of the WiiU and still a pretty good time to go back to the Wii.  The 3DS is still pretty active but there have been some great deals and likely more to come.  This is where I'd put my eyes next, though the PS3 also might be worth it for certain genre.   The death of a system is always the best time to get into it if you plan to resell later and don't care about missing something rare.  All those cheap liquidated Vita games?  That is mostly over till GS drops it though it still happens on occasion as Amazon looks to move the latest games that aren't selling.

So whatever the market does ... if you aren't buying games to enjoy them... then to me there's not much point in collecting them.  There are investment funds that'll make a lot more with compound interest over time that easily eclipses collecting returns.  So if money is the game I'd lean towards that.  Gaming profits for me are just a nice bonus from buying games I think will be fun.  Still, I get it, it's fun to collect stuff.  The hunt for stuff you don't have can be quite addictive.

You're all crazy.

Clearly this was the best gaming system from the 90s,

image.jpg

I mean, any company that could do this to Link, has got to be the best system ever,

zkOGMQG.gif

So I received my copies of Furi and Dariusburst for the Vita today. I also received trading cards for both games and the Dariusburst one is labeled 002 on the front and Furi's is labeled 004. My question is, are these the first 2 cards of the set since they are labeled 002 and 004 or are they just going in multiples of 2s?

So I received my copies of Furi and Dariusburst for the Vita today. I also received trading cards for both games and the Dariusburst one is labeled 002 on the front and Furi's is labeled 004. My question is, are these the first 2 cards of the set since they are labeled 002 and 004 or are they just going in multiples of 2s?
I think Doomstink said there are two different cards for each game, so you didn't get #1 or #3 for that reason.

Oh. I hope they allow us to buy individual cards cause the 2 I received were well done and I would love to get all the cards.
Josh made a mention of this some pages ago that during Christmas, or sometime towards the end of the year there will be a card pack of multiple game releases that will be made available. I forgot all of the details, but it does seem like there will be something like that available every so often. Fingers crossed it'll actually happen though for those who are interested.

Josh made a mention of this some pages ago that during Christmas, or sometime towards the end of the year there will be a card pack of multiple game releases that will be made available. I forgot all of the details, but it does seem like there will be something like that available every so often. Fingers crossed it'll actually happen though for those who are interested.
Thanks guys for the info. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on that.

Thanks guys for the info. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on that.
He did in fact mention that, but the new cards are meant to be traded as well.

Also, If I remember correctly, Josh said that if you ordered two copies of any particular game, they will automatically send you one of each TC. So that is something to consider as well, for those who often buy 2 copies for collecting or flipping.

He did in fact mention that, but the new cards are meant to be traded as well.

Also, If I remember correctly, Josh said that if you ordered two copies of any particular game, they will automatically send you one of each TC. So that is something to consider as well, for those who often buy 2 copies for collecting or flipping.
That's the plan as cards are printed in equal numbers outside of games where we have three cards. With DBCS the manufacturer messed up 90% of card #1 so shipments on that are heavily skewed towards card #2.

I never would've predicted this would end up being one of their fastest sellouts. Not counting the Dariusburst LE, this is right up there with Shantae in terms of total availability (~10 minutes).

That's the plan as cards are printed in equal numbers outside of games where we have three cards. With DBCS the manufacturer messed up 90% of card #1 so shipments on that are heavily skewed towards card #2.
That explains why I've only seen pics of #2 from those who got their orders already. Mine should be arrive any minute now, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for a #1.

o_O

Don't know if it's just this specific game, or surge in LRG interest or what.

Not looking forward to next week with 4 x sub 3000 unit games.

I'm a little surprised LRG didn't change the limit to 1 in the afternoon batch considering how fast it sold out in the morning batch.  Guess they are more concerned with a quick sellout than with more collectors/fans getting a copy of the game.

The trading card stuff is dumb, just fuels scalpers and the collectors who feel forced to buy every game because of the "limited" branding with shit like the numbered releases, lack of pre-orders, and now trading cards.

Said collectors probably don't even open and play the games lmao

I think the trading cards are awesome personally and are a good business move for them because they play to the collector's mentality of the biggest part of their consumer base (the collector).

I predict when they put the leftover cards in packs they will be one of their quickest sellers on Black Friday (assuming that is when they will sell them).

Damn, my card was #002, better luck next time uh? LOL

The card is pretty slick I guess, but I thought it was gonna have some of the game stats on the back, like a normal TC, but I guess that would have ran the cost up. 

If I can grab any of the alternate number cards on Ebay for a few bucks, I'll grab them, but I doubt I'll do much else past that to try and acquire a full set. It's going to be to hard and costly otherwise, as even those who get both cards, aren't going to want to come off of one, so I see tons of incomplete sets.

Does anyone know if LRG is handling the distribution of the Kickstarter-paid copies of Plague Road?  Just wondering if we will also get trading cards with them, or whether they are being done differently since they were prepaid with Kickstarter.

Does anyone know if LRG is handling the distribution of the Kickstarter-paid copies of Plague Road? Just wondering if we will also get trading cards with them, or whether they are being done differently since they were prepaid with Kickstarter.
The KS paid games should be handled by the publisher. If LRG copies are a part of their numbered sets, it should have a card, but the KS ones won't as those are completely separate.

Digital releases and promotions frequently increase demand for physical verisons. Knowledge and exposure about a particular game frequently effects the demand for physical copies of that game.

I would expect the afternoon copies of Jotun to go more quickly than the afternoon copies usually do.
Called it. This is why I constantly wonder why anyone ever attempts to contradict me. 90%+ of the time I end up being right. You want to throw your opinion in my face, that's your prerogative. Just make sure you point out that it is your own personal business. If you try to postulate or analyze, and what you've come up with happens to be at odds with what I came up with, you should probably take a second look at your position.

Damn, set a reminder for Jotun but was in the middle of a call and it was gone very fast! COnsidering the last releases lasted a while I was hoping this one would too, but I guess Jotun is fairly popular

Pretty funny too considering just today they made Jotun free on Steam+ GOG

Kinda wish I knew jotun would be free on steam, cuz I wouldn't have ordered the game today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the trading cards are awesome personally and are a good business move for them because they play to the collector's mentality of the biggest part of their consumer base (the collector).

I predict when they put the leftover cards in packs they will be one of their quickest sellers on Black Friday (assuming that is when they will sell them).
I disagree. I'm not a fan of the collector pandering. It works for LRG's business model because the majority of their games wouldn't sell without collectors/scalpers buying them to either scalp or have them sit on a shelf unopened for a "complete collection". It just makes buying the games I'm actually interested in harder than it should be.

For instance, I'm still pissed I missed the Shantae games solely because I couldn't be on the internet for a day F5ing and rushing to a checkout screen. I'm a big fan of the series and now I'm forced to pay ridiculous scalped eBay prices if I want to own the games physically. Meanwhile I doubt more than 25% of the copies LRG sold were actually opened and played.

I disagree. I'm not a fan of the collector pandering. It works for LRG's business model because the majority of their games wouldn't sell without collectors/scalpers buying them to either scalp or have them sit on a shelf unopened for a "complete collection". It just makes buying the games I'm actually interested in harder than it should be.

For instance, I'm still pissed I missed the Shantae games solely because I couldn't be on the internet for a day F5ing and rushing to a checkout screen. I'm a big fan of the series and now I'm forced to pay ridiculous scalped eBay prices if I want to own the games physically. Meanwhile I doubt more than 25% of the copies LRG sold were actually opened and played.
So you would prefer they don't exist and you wouldn't even have a chance at it? I'm not sure what your point is, the "collector pandering" is what makes any of these releases viable.

Called it. This is why I constantly wonder why anyone ever attempts to contradict me. 90%+ of the time I end up being right. You want to throw your opinion in my face, that's your prerogative. Just make sure you point out that it is your own personal business. If you try to postulate or analyze, and what you've come up with happens to be at odds with what I came up with, you should probably take a second look at your position.
lol

So you would prefer they don't exist and you wouldn't even have a chance at it? I'm not sure what your point is, the "collector pandering" is what makes any of these releases viable.
Ultimately, that's the reality of these releases. The rarity comes with them being produced, as if it was left to the developers, the PS4 Shantae games wouldn't have a physical release at all. LRG business model works only due to the rarity of it all.

I guess the trading cards may cause more collectors to buy more than one copy, but I would have guessed those guys are buying 2 copies when and where they can anyways. So I don't know that it will make getting games any harder. I think it's cool that LRG opted to offer consumers something a little more collectible than the post cards, so it's coming from a good place, as I don't think they are doing it to make more sales, as they haven't had an issue there anyways.

So I guess we'll just have to see what plays out, but I had to stop buying 2 copies awhile ago, as it was becoming to much, and even though I would like a complete set of these TC, I'm not going to be buying any extra games to get it. But I may be in the minority, who knows?

I'd prefer a pre-order system, don't see why ordering to demand wouldn't be feasible. It's what they did for the Skullgirls and Silvercase those went fine.

Playasia also seems to no problem doing physical versions of games and keeping them in stock. I get they're a bigger company but still.

bread's done
Back