Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Just to break this out of the wall of text there and make sure people don't miss this: you don't need the patch. If you want to save space on your Vita, don't download the patch. It's an unnecessarily large patch that has no implications on gameplay or performance.

The patch for DARIUSBURST CS was similarly unnecessary, literally only existing to facilitate the DLC, so if you don't plan to get DLC - you don't need the patch. The base game itself is entirely functional and operational without the patch.

Just to break this out of the wall of text there and make sure people don't miss this: you don't need the patch. If you want to save space on your Vita, don't download the patch. It's an unnecessarily large patch that has no implications on gameplay or performance.

The patch for DARIUSBURST CS was similarly unnecessary, literally only existing to facilitate the DLC, so if you don't plan to get DLC - you don't need the patch. The base game itself is entirely functional and operational without the patch.
Thanks for that Josh, as I probably would have gotten both, but I have no plans for the Darius DLC, so I'm good skipping both. As space on my 64GB card is at a premium.

This is more good info that would be nice on that "shipping status/info" page I keep requesting, but we'll get there at some point. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, people haven’t heard of post release patches? Some games even have one ready to go day one.

Games go into physical production but that doesn’t stop the dev team from looking for more bugs or making tweaks. Also, if there was a critical flaw in the released version of a game you’d rather have a coaster than a functioning game? I’d kill for a patch for Brutal Legend. I got stuck in the infinite load loop when I had the game 99% complete. Honestly, people love to whine about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, people haven’t heard of post release patches? Some games even have one ready to go day one.

Games go into physical production but that doesn’t stop the dev team from looking for more bugs or making tweaks. Also, if there was a critical flaw in the released version of a game you’d rather have a coaster than a functioning game? I’d kill for a patch for Brutal Legend. I got stuck in the infinite load loop when I had the game 99% complete. Honestly, people love to whine about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I prefer to have my things left alone.

I can launch Kingdom Hearts on my PS2 and still have my Ultima Weapon that does the same damage as it did when the game released for example.

I can still Vanish + X Zone in my launch day Final Fantasy III cart.

Patches don't always bring good things. Many times the worst developers will ignore blatant game breaking bugs (things like freezing, falling through the floor, save files being deleted, etc) while they are more concerned with items being more powerful than others or players getting the loot they want with farming methods that are "too efficient". Did Nintendo really need to patch out arrow farming in Breath of the Wild? Seriously? It's a single player offline game, nobody cares. Same goes for stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn with reducing the Thunder Jaw disc launcher capacity. What "bug" was being fixed there? None.

The ability to patch is taken for granted and abused far too often and used for things it shouldn't be used for like screwing with the game mechanics people already know instead of fixing actual fatal crash causing bugs. Half the patches we get for games are basically developers changing their minds constantly or trying to force people to play the game a certain way by snuffing out player creativity.

If anyone invaded someone's house they would deserve to be shot and/or jailed. So when and why did it ever become acceptable to invade a person's private storage device through their home through an internet connection without permission and alter or take things away that people spend 100s of hours acquiring, and then hold their $48+ purchase hostage if they don't comply and accept the patch?

Would it be acceptable to buy a 600 HP car one day, and then find out it had patched itself and was only 400 HP the next morning?

The true reality of patches in this day and age, mean less time testing, and faster to store shelves. If you had a bug or defect in a game 20 years ago, you where screwed, as you neither had to send a replacement, or do a recall. So games where tested nonstop, and even then some bugs still happened, but not many of the "breaking" type.

Now, being in the digital age, you don't have to spend as much time looking for bugs, or paying some one, as now the public can do it for you. They report the problems, and then the issues get patched. It's just the way things are now done.

Hell, the original arcade Donkey Kong is technically broke, as no one play tested up to the point of the kill screen, and that is a perfect example of many arcade games of the time. Some companies offered fixed chips to replace bad code, but many didn't. As a lot of the issues only happened when world class players tackled a machine, and went past what was feasible by programmers/testers.

It still all comes down to dollars & cents, and as long as a company is saving on testing, they will offer patches after the fact. And since most companies want to be all digital anyways(more profit), we should count ourselves lucky we are even getting physical games, 100% complete or not.

Holy shit, boys, I just got a shipping notice for Skullgirls.
giphy.gif

The true reality of patches in this day and age, mean less time testing, and faster to store shelves. If you had a bug or defect in a game 20 years ago, you where screwed, as you neither had to send a replacement, or do a recall. So games where tested nonstop, and even then some bugs still happened, but not many of the "breaking" type.

Now, being in the digital age, you don't have to spend as much time looking for bugs, or paying some one, as now the public can do it for you. They report the problems, and then the issues get patched. It's just the way things are now done.

Hell, the original arcade Donkey Kong is technically broke, as no one play tested up to the point of the kill screen, and that is a perfect example of many arcade games of the time. Some companies offered fixed chips to replace bad code, but many didn't. As a lot of the issues only happened when world class players tackled a machine, and went past what was feasible by programmers/testers.

It still all comes down to dollars & cents, and as long as a company is saving on testing, they will offer patches after the fact. And since most companies want to be all digital anyways(more profit), we should count ourselves lucky we are even getting physical games, 100% complete or not.
You're totally correct but I still hate it. I'd pay a whole lot more knowing that the game came complete/working/patched on disc than have to get it and wait for day 1 patches to install and then still have bugs and have to wait for more patches. It's fucking terrible. Plus for the long run, once these servers are gone/shut down - many of these games are borderline unplayable.

That said I feel like it's significantly worse with the US based companies (EA, Activision, etc.) The Japanese developers like Atlus, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc. I feel like are significantly more stable and of generally higher quality on launch day than games from the former.

You're totally correct but I still hate it. I'd pay a whole lot more knowing that the game came complete/working/patched on disc than have to get it and wait for day 1 patches to install and then still have bugs and have to wait for more patches. It's fucking terrible. Plus for the long run, once these servers are gone/shut down - many of these games are borderline unplayable.

That said I feel like it's significantly worse with the US based companies (EA, Activision, etc.) The Japanese developers like Atlus, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc. I feel like are significantly more stable and of generally higher quality on launch day than games from the former.
They are just higher quality period. Western companies are all about exploiting mainstream machismo franchises for dollars like Hollywood. They don't pour their heart into like the Japanese do. Look at the work put into something like Ni no Kuni that was never going to be a Halo Call of Gears of Madden competitor yet they put their all into it like it was their life's work. There is just way more passion with Japanese devs, its always been about the games and the stories, not monetizing your living room.

There are very few Western games and developers that have the quality and production values of Japanese games. Namely stuff like The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn, which coincidentally where supported by a Japanese company (Sony) who let them take their time and try something new rather than just cancelling everything that isn't HaloGearsForza.

EA, Activision, and Microsoft could all leave the console market forever and I would throw a party. I'll never get over where they all collectively tried to lead the console industry during 7th gen,

They are just higher quality period. Western companies are all about exploiting mainstream machismo franchises for dollars like Hollywood. They don't pour their heart into like the Japanese do. Look at the work put into something like Ni no Kuni that was never going to be a Halo Call of Gears of Madden competitor yet they put their all into it like it was their life's work. There is just way more passion with Japanese devs, its always been about the games and the stories, not monetizing your living room.

There are very few Western games and developers that have the quality and production values of Japanese games. Namely stuff like The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn, which coincidentally where supported by a Japanese company (Sony) who let them take their time and try something new rather than just cancelling everything that isn't HaloGearsForza.

EA, Activision, and Microsoft could all leave the console market forever and I would throw a party. I'll never get over where they all collectively tried to lead the console industry during 7th gen,
No arguments here. Looking at all the games that I played this year, the majority of them are Japanese: Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV. I mean I honestly have not played many games this year but I played through and finished all of these. With the Yakuza games and FFXV almost having 100% each. I mean that's pretty much unheard of for me. At this point I pretty much play Japanese games for stories and American games for multiplayer. There are some American games that do things right - I played Until Dawn again this year and think it's fantastic, and I picked up and have been meaning to play Horizon. I'm not going to say all American made games are lacking in quality - I mean I absolutely loved Sunset Overdrive, The Order 1886 (I don't care what people say I thought it was great). But at this point the majority of what I play is not from the big American pubs. I just got bored with the same shit over and over again in slightly different settings with the same boring story. Gimme something new and interesting.

Plus it seems like it must be cheaper development cycles on these Japanese games which I enjoy more anyway. I don't get it. People gotta play more of this shit. And back to how we got here, the games are wayyyyy higher quality on disc at launch than any of the US developed games. It's insane.

I personally don't really buy many games new, and most western developed games I only get once the "game of the year" editions are offered. So at that point, I'm getting most games as good as they are going to get.

The Japanese just work on a different mind set, as a lot of what keeps them behind in certain areas, also allows them to offer games that don't have the issues of western game makers. They operate old school, which helps gamers get better end products, but also keeps new ideas and current business models behind the times in some cases. They probably all still have tons of funds budgeted for testing, while here, it's a cost that isn't needed for the reasons I stated.

I'm personally fine either way, as I know the industry is changing, and sometimes changes are for the better, and sometimes not. I personally hate the digital future that I know is coming. But I'm also not so stuck on it, that I won't play some really great games, that may only be digital. I personally still love buying physical magazines and books, but I know as more companies go digital, the cost goes up for those few who still deal in physical. So I try my best to support things that are for a future I would like to see, but I'm also a realist in knowing that the more I want things to stay the same, the more they will change.

Yea for real. I went to Japan in May. They dont care about money. Its all about heart and good stories. And Cat cafes.

Would it be acceptable to buy a 600 HP car one day, and then find out it had patched itself and was only 400 HP the next morning?
that happened with Volkswagen, a year or 2 ago i forgot, they found out the ecu was cheating to pass emissions, so after a penalty they had to recall & reflash the ecu to pass emissions which caused the cars to lose a chunk of power.
this was after the cars were sold a few years prior.

Yea for real. I went to Japan in May. They dont care about money. Its all about heart and good stories. And Cat cafes.
I think they do, but perhaps they're just less willing to sacrifice certain things for it, while here in the capitol of capitalism every industry is a race to the absolute bottom. The CEOs of the biggest corporations in the US would sell their mother for a dollar if they could get away with it.

I personally don't really buy many games new, and most western developed games I only get once the "game of the year" editions are offered. So at that point, I'm getting most games as good as they are going to get.

The Japanese just work on a different mind set, as a lot of what keeps them behind in certain areas, also allows them to offer games that don't have the issues of western game makers. They operate old school, which helps gamers get better end products, but also keeps new ideas and current business models behind the times in some cases. They probably all still have tons of funds budgeted for testing, while here, it's a cost that isn't needed for the reasons I stated.

I'm personally fine either way, as I know the industry is changing, and sometimes changes are for the better, and sometimes not. I personally hate the digital future that I know is coming. But I'm also not so stuck on it, that I won't play some really great games, that may only be digital. I personally still love buying physical magazines and books, but I know as more companies go digital, the cost goes up for those few who still deal in physical. So I try my best to support things that are for a future I would like to see, but I'm also a realist in knowing that the more I want things to stay the same, the more they will change.
Personally I loath the inevitable digital future. On the bright side, with no more physical games to buy maybe we can all finally catch up on our backlogs lol.

Personally I loath the inevitable digital future. On the bright side, with no more physical games to buy maybe we can all finally catch up on our backlogs lol.
LOL what makes you think a more digitized catalog will lessen people's backlog. It'd balloon even faster since it won't take up physical space.

LOL what makes you think a more digitized catalog will lessen people's backlog. It'd balloon even faster since it won't take up physical space.
Good point lol. My friend's list of Steam games is insane.. but there are some people out there who refuse to buy digital, such as myself, who will finally be set free of our chains.

I think they do, but perhaps they're just less willing to sacrifice certain things for it, while here in the capitol of capitalism every industry is a race to the absolute bottom. The CEOs of the biggest corporations in the US would sell their mother for a dollar if they could get away with it.

Truer words have never been spoken. LOL

Yeah, my backlog of digital, is probably worse than my physical. As every 5-10 years, I re-evaluate my collection, and get rid of most of it. As I come to the conclusion each time, "I can live to 100 and never make a dent". LOL The digital games never go any place, except for the few that get physical releases, and they just get deleted to save space.

Agreed, as 99% of my digital backlog are from games I got dirt cheap. And since I can never sell them off, it just continues to grow, and grow, and grow. LOL

Truer words have never been spoken. LOL

Yeah, my backlog of digital, is probably worse than my physical. As every 5-10 years, I re-evaluate my collection, and get rid of most of it. As I come to the conclusion each time, "I can live to 100 and never make a dent". LOL The digital games never go any place, except for the few that get physical releases, and they just get deleted to save space.

Agreed, as 99% of my digital backlog are from games I got dirt cheap. And since I can never sell them off, it just continues to grow, and grow, and grow. LOL
True but that's also why u pretty much don't buy digital. At least on console. On steam I have hundreds of games I'll never play thanks to bundles but I don't really consider those backlog more of just shit I'll never even consider touching. My backlog is my physical collection. If I buy a game digitally it's only because A) it's only available digitally, B) because I'll play it immediately or C) because I own it physically but it's on sale so cheap that it's worth paying for convenience

You have a warped view of how businesses work in Japan. Contrary to what you think, there are many businesses in Japan that are perfectly happy to have their employees work crazy hours for relatively low wages. Japan has a high suicide rate and frankly the cultural pressure to have a good job and compete is significant. There are also lots of small Japanese developers that crank out total garbage games. This whole romanticized notion about Japan is laughable.

You have a warped view of how businesses work in Japan. Contrary to what you think, there are many businesses in Japan that are perfectly happy to have their employees work crazy hours for relatively low wages. Japan has a high suicide rate and frankly the cultural pressure to have a good job and compete is significant. There are also lots of small Japanese developers that crank out total garbage games. This whole romanticized notion about Japan is laughable.
Oh no you didn't just say something negative about Japan did you? The weeaboos hoard is coming after you.

I'm actually quite familiar with the insane work culture of Japan, and it's a big part of why I turned down a couple opportunities to work out there. Much prefer just visiting.

You don't have to tell me there are garbage developers in Japan like I was just born yesterday. But thing is, while the region does produce garbage, some of the finest games ever made (imo) happen to be from there. While that does to an extent come down to opinion/taste, it is also to an extent measurable. What was the last major title from a large Japanese developer that was released broken out of the gate, needed a day one patch, and was infected with micro-transactions?

I also don't know any western games that have world wide symphony orchestra tours to celebrate and play video game music.  I've been to Distant Worlds (Final Fantasy) and Symphony of the Goddesses (Zelda).  

When is the last time Halo or Skyrim or Call of Duty or Madden had that kind of cultural impact?

When you look at all the of "top 10 games ever made" lists it's almost cliche how many of those games are from 16 and 32 bit Japanese RPGs for their unforgettable stories.  (how many younger people just kneejerk Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy on the list like it's mandatory though?)  They are up there with Shakespeare and Disney so far as the timelessness and imprint these games have on people for the rest of their lives.  Mention the name Xenogears 20 years later to anyone who has played it and watch that person's arms for goosebumps.

Meanwhile you 100% the next Fallout or Skyrim and move on to the next game and don't even remember anything a month later.  

You have people like Shigeru Miyamoto and Nobuo Uematsu, all they ever talk about is vision and their labor of love and such and how they wanted the game or music or whatever to be perfect or capture this or that feeling no matter how long it takes, delaying games for years, etc.  Then you have the west represented by people like Bobby Kotick openly bragging about how stupid gamers are and how easily they can exploit the mainstream with the same franchise over and over again with and not bother creating anything new that won't guarantee millions in sales.

Though I'm wondering if the trend is reversing.  I mean we have what are technically Western releases with The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn that capture the awe and polish of Japanese story telling in video games.  But Nintendo and Monolith seem to be ditching stories now and emulating Western open world games with Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles X (to my disappointment).

Oh no you didn't just say something negative about Japan did you? The weeaboos hoard is coming after you.

I'm actually quite familiar with the insane work culture of Japan, and it's a big part of why I turned down a couple opportunities to work out there. Much prefer just visiting.

You don't have to tell me there are garbage developers in Japan like I was just born yesterday. But thing is, while the region does produce garbage, some of the finest games ever made (imo) happen to be from there. While that does to an extent come down to opinion/taste, it is also to an extent measurable. What was the last major title from a large Japanese developer that was released broken out of the gate, needed a day one patch, and was infected with micro-transactions?
I don't know, by the time we get most Japanese games in the United States even today, it's often months or sometimes years after the original release. Frankly, there have been lots of crappy translations recently by the US arms of Japanese companies (NIS, etc...) and a lot of rushed efforts by the major Japanese developers that don't live up to their past track records. Personally, I think the real innovation is happening in the indie game scene and the overwhelming majority of those developers are in the US and Europe. My personal bias has always been towards the UK game scene as I collect and play computer as well as console games and while I appreciate many Japanese games, it's often because of the fascinating cultural differences that I enjoy experiencing and not necessarily because I think the games are better than those developed in other regions.

https://youtu.be/9Rfn-a_Mh0A

Another one of these for anyone interested... I know I'm pretty late with them, but I think I'm the only one who posts them so unless you're searching...

Ignore the plastic wrapped arm. I just got some new ink and opened this box before I had a chance to rinse.

Postal service actually had some of my packages for once and dropped of some of my LRG games... got everything now except for Skullgirls (which I'll get once the Vita version is ready).

Also, I got two duplicate YsO cards (from two diff orders) but noticed one has a gold border and one is silver (like all my other cards). What's up with that?

Though I'm wondering if the trend is reversing. I mean we have what are technically Western releases with The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn that capture the awe and polish of Japanese story telling in video games. But Nintendo and Monolith seem to be ditching stories now and emulating Western open world games with Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles X (to my disappointment).
I feel like I did something wrong because I didn't really enjoy BotW all that much. I agree with the general consensus when it comes to gaming opinion but just did not get all the love for BotW. I think the best way to describe it is to say I loved the individual parts (the physics, the exploration, the weather/envinonmental effects) more than the sum of it all (like climbing in the rain which seems to be every 10 minutes).

I feel like I did something wrong because I didn't really enjoy BotW all that much. I agree with the general consensus when it comes to gaming opinion but just did not get all the love for BotW. I think the best way to describe it is to say I loved the individual parts (the physics, the exploration, the weather/envinonmental effects) more than the sum of it all (like climbing in the rain which seems to be every 10 minutes).
Yeah, before I threw in the towel from boredom, I almost did it from the rain and climbing. As that became a HUGE pain in the ass at certain parts. I didn't finish, and maybe never will, but I would give it a 7 out of 10, and that's being generous. And I had to force myself to play as long as I did, and the whole time I was wondering the same thing, "Am I missing something here?".

BOTW is one of my favorite games ever. It got me back into gaming. It had such a clean presentation. Radar to find items, the seeds you find show up on the map so it’s not an endless quest, ability to teleport at any time, etc. However I 110% agree the rain is super annoying!

Eh, not everything will click with everyone. How many people are all over COD multiplayer? ...but you couldn't pay me enough to play that.

A big part of what made me absolutely love BotW was that it combined two things I love very much: Zelda & huge open worlds (aka sandboxes). If you're not into either that much then I can see how the game wouldn't be anything special.

Eh, not everything will click with everyone. How many people are all over COD multiplayer? ...but you couldn't pay me enough to play that.

A big part of what made me absolutely love BotW was that it combined two things I love very much: Zelda & huge open worlds (aka sandboxes). If you're not into either that much then I can see how the game wouldn't be anything special.
I love Zelda, and I have also loved some open world games, but this didn't come together for me at all. It wasn't really a Zelda game to me, and it wasn't really an interesting open world game either, it was just blah.

But as stated, different strokes and what not. I'll definitely be looking forward to another 2D installment, and hopefully it's not some remake of a title I've already played.

Also, I got two duplicate YsO cards (from two diff orders) but noticed one has a gold border and one is silver (like all my other cards). What's up with that?
Each card exists as a silver and gold version. 90% of cards printed have the silver border while only 10% have the gold border.

Finally got some movement on my Ys/Asdivine order with a label from October 5th. If anyone is in the same boat, check your tracking - we may get it by the end of the month. My Chariot order also shipped out.

I love Zelda, and I have also loved some open world games, but this didn't come together for me at all. It wasn't really a Zelda game to me, and it wasn't really an interesting open world game either, it was just blah.

But as stated, different strokes and what not. I'll definitely be looking forward to another 2D installment, and hopefully it's not some remake of a title I've already played.
I felt the same way. It's an objectively good game and the polish is through the roof, I just didn't get engrossed in it personally.

Doom, you guys aren't planning on doing Sayonara UmiharaKawase correct? SLG announced it and I'm just curious.

Edit: nevermind. Says exclusive release.

https://twitter.com/RealStrictlyLTD/status/924373018884952065

Josh & Doug, you guys should consider doing Stealth Inc. 2. Both part 1 & 2 are great games & I’d love to have the physical matching set. I’m sure others would agree. Went back & played a few levels of each game earlier. Great games.

Also would still love to see Super Meat Boy physical on PS Vita. That’d be awesome.

Got my copy of Chariot today, but it looked like someone took a sledge hammer to it. The PS4 case was shattered and the shrinkwrap was shredded. Opened a ticket for a return, first time I've had to in 20+ orders so I can't be too bothered I suppose.

I also didn't get a loyalty/rewards ticket - did they stop doing those?

Got my copy of Chariot today, but it looked like someone took a sledge hammer to it. The PS4 case was shattered and the shrinkwrap was shredded. Opened a ticket for a return, first time I've had to in 20+ orders so I can't be too bothered I suppose.

I also didn't get a loyalty/rewards ticket - did they stop doing those?
Add the loyalty ticket to your ticket as well, as you should have got one. If they stopped it already, that would suck, as I don't think anyone has gotten any thing yet. LOL

if we are going for sets, how about the one missing oddworld game?   and that other dragon fantasy vol 1?  and and and and

bread's done
Back