Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I've finally gathered enough tickets for a free game, but how does it work and what are the restrictions? I assume no collector's editions, and would it work towards games being released this Friday, or does it take some time to get the ticket redemption processed?

Sorry for so may questions in two sentences haha.
First you need to contact LRG, and let them know you want to redeem your tickets, and for what? Then you send them the tickets, and once they take possession, they let you know and then you pretty much get a one game credit($24.99) towards the item of your choice. So if it's a $30 game, or a $60 CE, it doesn't matter, as you'll have to pay the difference in price, as well as shipping cost.

First you need to contact LRG, and let them know you want to redeem your tickets, and for what? Then you send them the tickets, and once they take possession, they let you know and then you pretty much get a one game credit($24.99) towards the item of your choice. So if it's a $30 game, or a $60 CE, it doesn't matter, as you'll have to pay the difference in price, as well as shipping cost.
I never understood why they require the physical tickets, why can't we just give them the numbers printed on the tickets online, or are the numbers not unique? Would be easier for us and them. I get that all of this is "free" and I don't mean to complain, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Mailing in stuff made sense in the 90's, but not in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understood why they require the physical tickets, why can't we just give them the numbers printed on the tickets online, or are the numbers not unique? Would be easier for us and them. I get that all of this is "free" and I don't mean to complain, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Mailing in stuff made sense in the 90's, but not in 2017.
I'll assume it's for organization purposes on each end. I agree, sending in the numbers only would be easier, but how many people are going to keep track of the ones used VS. unused? I can already see the complaints of guys saying they didn't use a ticket number, but they actually did. So by sending in the tickets, that keeps that from happening.

I'll assume it's for organization purposes on each end. I agree, sending in the numbers only would be easier, but how many people are going to keep track of the ones used VS. unused? I can already see the complaints of guys saying they didn't use a ticket number, but they actually did. So by sending in the tickets, that keeps that from happening.
They've stated previously that a CS manually verifies that you actually have 40 tickets from YOUR own orders. Why not just do a fully electronic rewards program?

That would save the need to purchase a physical ticket. It would save the hassle of a customer wasting CS time because they lost a ticket. It would save CS time from them having to look through your orders and verifying that you have indeed purchased 40 games to even have the tickets to begin with.

Maybe some people just like the novelty of it?

They've stated previously that a CS manually verifies that you actually have 40 tickets from YOUR own orders. Why not just do a fully electronic rewards program?
Like I said, I just assumed this is a form of keeping track of things. As NISA, has a rewards program, that actually earns you points, and it's all done online. Once you have a set number of points, it converts over to redeemable cash value. They also sale full retail games, and merchandise, so unless LRG is going to be paying for a new and upgraded site, this seems to be the best for them currently.

I've already seen many Ebay LRG listings where sellers are offering their tickets to buyers, but they are non transferable. So in the end, this like I said, is just going to prevent issues in the future of guys trying to use tickets twice, or not remembering the ones they used to begin with, or ones they aren't entitled to.

Yes, there are many better solutions, but this is what it is currently. As far as LRG is concerned, anyone can throw their tickets away, and not bother with a "free" item at all. As no one is being forced to use this service. They could offer nothing at all, and they would still be selling the same amount of games each week. So for a service that isn't required, or really benefiting their overall business, I don't personally see the issue with how they are doing it.

This is another perfect example of no matter what they do, some will not be happy about it.

Thank you for the detailed response! I did exactly what you said and got a response pretty fast from their support. It's really awesome how they basically put a game aside for you (won't have to stress with La-Mulana and can now put my focus on Nex Machina). Thanks again for your help, chrislaustin!

Im not up to date. Has the PS4 version of Skull Girls finally shipped? I bought the PS4/Vita combo and last i heard they started shipping the vita but not the PS4
You got it the other way around pal.

PS4 is shipping for individual orders and for those who wanted to split their PS4/Vita combo.

The Vita ver is getting delayed over stupid things by Sony and likely wont be released until Dec/Jan

You got it the other way around pal.

PS4 is shipping for individual orders and for those who wanted to split their PS4/Vita combo.

The Vita ver is getting delayed over stupid things by Sony and likely wont be released until Dec/Jan
Sorry about that! Thank you for the clarification :D

We're hoping Vita will be ready for manufacturing soon. The devs have a plan to fix the only lingering issue and it should pass this time.

Is it too late to get a copy of Nex Machina held so I can mail in my reward tickets? I completely forgot to send them and wanted to use them for this release. Anyone know?

Is it too late to get a copy of Nex Machina held so I can mail in my reward tickets? I completely forgot to send them and wanted to use them for this release. Anyone know?
All you can do is contact them ASAP, and hope you hear back before it goes live tomorrow.

Best guess is they actually need the tickets in hand before they will set aside a copy for you.

Best guess is they actually need the tickets in hand before they will set aside a copy for you.
Once you reserve it, they hold it. Not having the tickets in hand is OK, as another user here just reserved on a few days ago without them having the tickets yet. I'm sure there's a limit on how long they will wait, but once you agree, they reserve a copy for you.

The First Rule of ESRB Fees is "You do NOT talk about ESRB Fees"
We just gave Kotaku our honest opinion - the fees hurt developers by taking money right out of their pocket for no meaningful reason. I'm fine continuing to pay the ESRB if we have to - it doesn't really hurt me. It's hurting our developers, though - they bear the lion's share of the costs since it comes out of revenue that would have been paid to them (and they have a much higher stake in that than us).

So there's no legitimate way to release physically without having Sony do the actual disc creation? Can't just go directly to a Sony sub-contractor or whatever to have them make the disc for you instead of paying Sony have them make the disc for you? 

We just gave Kotaku our honest opinion - the fees hurt developers by taking money right out of their pocket for no meaningful reason. I'm fine continuing to pay the ESRB if we have to - it doesn't really hurt me. It's hurting our developers, though - they bear the lion's share of the costs since it comes out of revenue that would have been paid to them (and they have a much higher stake in that than us).
I agree with everything you said in the article. It's a monopoly. And near as I can tell, it's largely ignored by consumers anyway.

Kotaku is cringeworthy. They make the great article posted above then make another about a child upsetting them because he meet a black individual but I digress.

ESRB has an iron grip on the industry and that's bad.

So there's no legitimate way to release physically without having Sony do the actual disc creation? Can't just go directly to a Sony sub-contractor or whatever to have them make the disc for you instead of paying Sony have them make the disc for you?
no. Everything has to go through Sony regardless.

Kotaku covers a lot of topics other sites won't cover (or are afraid to), so I can live with the bad. Jason Schreier is probably my favorite games journalist right now.

MATH TIME!!!!!

For a game under $1million to produce that is already rated digital, the cost is $3000 for a physical rating upgrade...

That's an addition $1 per game for a 3000 print run... or $0.50 per game for a 6000 copy print run (typically when they do multiple covers and an LE).

I don't see the real problem here. Like iam8bit (who also doesn't have an issue with the requirement), these folks sell at all-age trade shows and more importantly they sell at retail stores now where they have no control over who buys the games. So having an esrb on there is a good way to CYA. It would suck if they (likely someone helping at the booth) sold a game to a kid underage at a trade show and then the parents sued them. That would likely end LRG as a business. Especially if the parents were wealthy.

The real problem here is paying this up front when a dev is already broke and about to go under. For them, I feel bad for their situation, but that's life. Sometimes businesses fail. Sometimes good games get overlooked and sometimes games aren't as good as the devs think they are. That's the creative business and why I would encourage anyone wanting to do indie game development to not quit their day job before actually making enough withe their game company to actually survive well.

Seems like the devs are going to ultimately make more from this. Especially the LaMulana Ex release with 5500 copies and the $5 upcharge from the past pricing model. That's upwards of $24,500 ((5500 units x $5) - $3000 esrb) extra on this release alone. Even if the ESRB is taking $10K because of the time past when it was originally rated, that's still $17,500 more for the dev and lrg to split. That's the beauty of Math and having some numbers to work with. Sure it's not a pure $24,500 profit because someone has to spend some time filing the paper work and dealing with getting the game rated for physical, but with the upcharge in game prices now... it seems like they could cover the hours required with the massive extra bit of profit.

Next, I'd like to see LRG pay the $100 or whatever to get their own registered UPC's and to stop using that odd companies codes on the back of games. Having real UPC codes actually registered to LRG (like every other dev out there actually does) and ESRB on the cover... that makes these releases as official as any other retail game.

ESRB has an iron grip on the industry and that's bad.
The ESRB was FORMED by the industry itself rather than the government coming in and policing game content. It's a good thing overall, though I think they could do better with their rates considering the size of the game market considering they are a non-profit. I guess, though, with more serious fees and even more serious fines, it makes it important to make sure people are legitimate in how they declare the content of their games.

Overall it's a very good thing.

kwDxim3.jpg

An extra $1 per unit is A LOT when you're working with $5-10 profit margins. 

That eats 10-20% of your profits, even more under other circumstances.  for no good reason. 

An extra $1 per unit is A LOT when you're working with $5-10 profit margins.

That eats 10-20% of your profits, even more under other circumstances. for no good reason.
Exactly this. Not to mention for a guy that claims to embrace math, he failed to account for the fact that Crawl, to be released next week, will be $25 again and that the higher price on these two releases was likely not related to ESRB ratings. Also, the idea that some kid will end up with something that is too mature at a trade show and the parents will sue LRG is laughable. What parent is going to let their kid go to a trade show unsupervised and allow them to buy whatever they want, only to turn around and sue if the kid buys something that is a little too mature for them? Parents have an obligation to supervise their kids and if they aren't sure about the content of something, they can either do some research or simply not buy it. I'm an extremely liberal person, but this is one of those situations where personal responsibility and common sense should apply.

There's also the fact that ESRB ratings are per-submission, not per-game. So if a game doesn't get the rating that a developer feels it should, they have to re-submit it after altering content, and have to pay the same fee again. This is less significant for an indie game being published through a smaller publisher, as they are much more likely to treat the ESRB rating as a formality as opposed to a target that they have to hit. They don't have to be overly concerned with an AO rating if they never intend to sell their game in WalMart.

No, the real onus on the developer comes from the extra work they have to do. ESRB submissions aren't just a matter of providing a copy of a game. You have to put together a presentation package with all sorts of material from your game, including written summaries and even video examples. Not only is there a monetary cost, there is also a cost in time and effort. And perhaps most problematic, an ESRB submission has no guarantees on when it will be completed. The ESRB is already considered to be under-staffed just for standard large-scale game submissions. So it is common for an ESRB submission not to be reviewed for months after the developer has made the submission. The developer essentially can't commit to releasing their physical game AT ALL until after the ESRB submission process comes back with its rating results. It's quite a bit of headache, expense, and delay for what is effectively a rubber stamp.

I just find it ridiculous that the ESRB can't adapt its process to accommodate smaller developers and releases. I mean, even Nintendo did it. Nintendo, for gods' sake!

MATH TIME!!!!!

For a game under $1million to produce that is already rated digital, the cost is $3000 for a physical rating upgrade...

That's an addition $1 per game for a 3000 print run... or $0.50 per game for a 6000 copy print run (typically when they do multiple covers and an LE).

I don't see the real problem here. Like iam8bit (who also doesn't have an issue with the requirement), these folks sell at all-age trade shows and more importantly they sell at retail stores now where they have no control over who buys the games. So having an esrb on there is a good way to CYA. It would suck if they (likely someone helping at the booth) sold a game to a kid underage at a trade show and then the parents sued them. That would likely end LRG as a business. Especially if the parents were wealthy.

The real problem here is paying this up front when a dev is already broke and about to go under. For them, I feel bad for their situation, but that's life. Sometimes businesses fail. Sometimes good games get overlooked and sometimes games aren't as good as the devs think they are. That's the creative business and why I would encourage anyone wanting to do indie game development to not quit their day job before actually making enough withe their game company to actually survive well.

Seems like the devs are going to ultimately make more from this. Especially the LaMulana Ex release with 5500 copies and the $5 upcharge from the past pricing model. That's upwards of $24,500 ((5500 units x $5) - $3000 esrb) extra on this release alone. Even if the ESRB is taking $10K because of the time past when it was originally rated, that's still $17,500 more for the dev and lrg to split. That's the beauty of Math and having some numbers to work with. Sure it's not a pure $24,500 profit because someone has to spend some time filing the paper work and dealing with getting the game rated for physical, but with the upcharge in game prices now... it seems like they could cover the hours required with the massive extra bit of profit.

Next, I'd like to see LRG pay the $100 or whatever to get their own registered UPC's and to stop using that odd companies codes on the back of games. Having real UPC codes actually registered to LRG (like every other dev out there actually does) and ESRB on the cover... that makes these releases as official as any other retail game.

The ESRB was FORMED by the industry itself rather than the government coming in and policing game content. It's a good thing overall, though I think they could do better with their rates considering the size of the game market considering they are a non-profit. I guess, though, with more serious fees and even more serious fines, it makes it important to make sure people are legitimate in how they declare the content of their games.

Overall it's a very good thing.
You clearly don't get it... it's not a good thing.

If a kid bought a game rated M digitally with no rating physically, I can't be sued. It's enforced at a store level. It's not a law.

By signing up to have ratings you are also subjected to fines, a lot of these fines are expensive and can easily put a developer/publisher out of business.

Increasing the price wouldn't be consumer friendly and would be asking us to sit on more stock that is now more expensive if it doesn't sell.

Will the bundle AND the LP soundtrack both be available at two different times? I want both and not sure if I'll be able to snag one of each before they both sell out the first time. 

https://twitter.com/limitedrungames/status/928760320193126400

csbaker’s head is going to explode.

According to the website, each variant is limited to 2,064 copies and will be shipped at random.

Doom, will it be limited to 3 per customer or something that will guarantee me all 3 copies? As a variant whore, I am both excited and upset about this release.

According to the website, each variant is limited to 2,064 copies and will be shipped at random.

Doom, will it be limited to 3 per customer or something that will guarantee me all 3 copies? As a variant whore, I am both excited and upset about this release.
This is what I was referring to in my previous post. This is the tweet I thought I was posting.

Also, Vita hasn’t been approved yet, but it sounds like it’s coming.

https://twitter.com/romadventure/status/928763308433215488

So it looks like we are back to releases every week again...

11/10: 2 releases (4 variants)

11/17: 2 releases (4 variants)

11/24: ???? (LRG has said they will sell something on BF though not sure what)

Can i choose which variant of rom i get? Or its random?

Funny that the vita ver is apparently coming even after announcing it is cancelled

Yes, there is a steady stream of releases coming through December 22nd, then we have a three week break until the next new game. We have our 2017 blowout sale scheduled for January 1st. We have a mix of obscure and big games for the rest of 2017. Should be fun!

The Black Friday games should be up tomorrow or early next week. One is super obscure and was signed nearly two years ago. We love the dev and the game is fun but I will admit that some people will probably be confused by it. Both Black Friday games are small runs (2,500 copies).

Yes, there is a steady stream of releases coming through December 22nd, then we have a three week break until the next new game. We have our 2017 blowout sale scheduled for January 1st. We have a mix of obscure and big games for the rest of 2017. Should be fun!

The Black Friday games should be up tomorrow or early next week. One is super obscure and was signed nearly two years ago. We love the dev and the game is fun but I will admit that some people will probably be confused by it. Both Black Friday games are small runs (2,500 copies).
Hateful Boyfriend??

Damn I don’t even have a vita yet and I want the La Mulana CE. The Nex Machina also looks really cool. Wonder how fast these will sell out..
The LA-MULANA CE is going to be incredible - I saw some proofs today and it's our best looking CE to date. It's printed on silver foil stock so the gold in the art looks shiny. It's seriously a beautiful piece - I think people will be really happy with it.

bread's done
Back