Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Picked up one of each.  No need for the Triple Pack but it sold out in under 2 minutes.  Guess there are a lot of crazy collectors out there!

Picked up one of each. No need for the Triple Pack but it sold out in under 2 minutes. Guess there are a lot of crazy collectors out there!
I was trying for the collectors pack but it went really quick. It seemed like things went for sale early today; I was following the timer on their website but as soon as it went to 0, and I tried to get the 3-pack, it was gone. Odd. Anyone else experience this?

Grabbed 2 copies of Crawl....game looks awesome and fun from what I've seen.

Skipped on 2064 after reading a bunch of Steam reviews, seems less of an adventure game and more of a graphical novel. Not for me.

Stop with the folded up posters imo. They are a waste. People don't pay for folded up posters. Get into the limited/numbered print business if that's your angle.

The quality of these CEs really needs to improve. Soundtracks are great, but most of the other stuff doesn't really have any quantitative value perception by consumers. Things people actually use are always cool. Playing card decks, mouse pads, cases, lanyards, desk figures, those kinds of things are nice. I'd really like to see some steelbook + soundtrack CEs. That's all it would take. Full color instruction booklets are really nice too. 30pg art books are dumb. If it's going to be an art book, it should be thick and meaningful.

I can tell that you guys are looking for ways to improve your CEs.
Most of the stuff you mentioned I place no value on. Playing cards, mouse pads, lanyards, figures.... don't care. The only CE items that interest me are art books (although, the ones that are included in the Signature Editions CEs don't do anything for me) , soundtracks., maybe a bonus making of disc... I don't mind alternative art work if I like it better than the standard release.

Putting in statues/figures will invalidate everything else typically. Mainly because they drive up the price for something that is almost always of low quality (probably why they are so often included).

Triple pack went quick for sure, but it was doable. The second the timer hit 0 I F5'd. I then added it and checked out (did Crawl separately to not waste time). I was done checking out right about the time it hit 7:02, and it had like 3% left at that point.

You wouldn't really hear anything because a patch exists. People buying the physical Japanese edition aren't going to put it through as much scrutiny as ours. The developer really wants to put out the physical version ASAP, so this isn't some made up thing. He's responsible for the game in all regions and the JP release is the same as the release he's refusing to put out here.

As a heads up, the Japanese release only has Japanese. No option for English. Play-Asia isn't exactly being forthcoming with that info because they want people to blindly buy it.
Yeah I noticed that on the product page, I'll probably pick it up when y'all drop since it's a solid game, just curious how badly the jp unpatched was

Picked up one of each game this morning.  I have to say I'm kind of shock the first batch of 2064 sold out within the first hour.  Not that it's a bad game but with 6000+ copies being made I thought it would take all weekend since Ex Machina and La Maluna lasted so long (with smaller print runs).

Ex Machina may have come from a prominent developer, but it was also a nearly brand-new game, unproven in the marketplace. La Mulana, I'm not sure on that one. It's been out for a while. It doesn't seem to have collected quite as rabid a fanbase as Spelunky. But it is still reasonably well known and popular. But 2064: Read Only Memories has been out for quite some time on PC, and had a well-known presence even before it was released, with a developer who was fairly open about their work during the development process.

What boggles my mind is that so many people seem hungry to get all three covers. I'm a fairly enthusiastic collector, and I still wasn't about to buy 3 copies of the game just to insure that I snagged cover variants. The developer did their job a little too well in this case. All three of the covers they posted look good, so I'm not all that concerned about which one comes with my standard order. I'll be happy with any of them. I don't quite get paying three times as much just for what amounts to alternate paper inserts.

What boggles my mind is that so many people seem hungry to get all three covers. I'm a fairly enthusiastic collector, and I still wasn't about to buy 3 copies of the game just to insure that I snagged cover variants. The developer did their job a little too well in this case. All three of the covers they posted look good, so I'm not all that concerned about which one comes with my standard order. I'll be happy with any of them. I don't quite get paying three times as much just for what amounts to alternate paper inserts.
I'm with you on that, as I'll get 2 different ones, but at 3 I would have drawn the line as well. Especially with all 3 being equal in qty's. I like how Josh offered someone here just the other covers, as that would be cool, and I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars for just the sleeves. But buying all three to have the set........Yeah, that's just to much.

I'm with you on that, as I'll get 2 different ones, but at 3 I would have drawn the line as well. Especially with all 3 being equal in qty's. I like how Josh offered someone here just the other covers, as that would be cool, and I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars for just the sleeves. But buying all three to have the set........Yeah, that's just to much.
yeah I would've paid to just get the sleeves on their own, I liked the game well enough, but $95 was a bit painful this morning

Skullgirls PS4 only shipped if you bought it by itself or asked for a split shipment by opening a ticket.

There's nothing wrong with them offering the option. Those obsessives who want all three covers were probably grateful for the opportunity. It's just not for me.

In reference to Skullgirls, did you order the Vita version or the PS4? My PS4 copy arrived almost two weeks ago. It looks great on my shelf. But there is a more significant delay in the Vita version, so that might not have shipped yet.

Here's my take on the variant covers and something that I wish they would keep in mind. 

LRG knows that they cater to a niche, collector market. There are surely many people in their target demographic that will buy multiple copies to get all covers. This is exacerbated by the limited nature. With Summon Night 6, I can wait for a sale to grab the alternate covers, if I want to go that route. With LRG, I have two different 2-3 minute windows to buy them. Otherwise, it's off to eBay for likely inflated prices and items that have been handled more and may be less pristine. Let's not kid ourselves, they know that people will spend more money if they do this. 

Now, given that you already can't wait for a sale on any LRG items, and you really need to buy them during the two aforementioned 2-3 minute windows, we are already stuck buying them whenever they launch if we want to guarantee a copy at the most reasonable price, do they really need to add a further layer to this with variant covers? 

I would be happy with either of the two situations (or a combination of each):

1. They start making all of the alternative covers the way they did Night Trap and Ys. Reversible covers are absolutely awesome, and then no one has to buy any additional copies (I am not including sealed collectors in this, as those buggers would get both covers anyway--whether they're willing to open them to see that or not).

2. They make their CEs have a special cover on the outside, and the original one on the inside. That way, one wouldn't need the standard and CE of Nex Machine and Windjammers, one would just need the CE to have both. Namco has done this with some tales titles (Symphonia HD and Xillia 2) and I thought that was really cool. 

I'm just tired of seeing the apologists stating that one doesn't need all covers, no one is forcing you to buy them, etc. Well, no shit, thanks for stating the obvious. This is a thread of collectors buying overpriced physical versions of cheap digital games. I think we're far past that point. My main sticking point comes down to LRG knowing for a fact that these tactics make their customers spend more money; and their business model doesn't really need any more of that.

If you are someone that doesn't care about these things, then that's great. You cannot deny that many others do, though, and I do hope that the LRG apologists will at least consider the points that I have made, rather than just tell me I have a mental illness or that no one is forcing me to buy them. That reasoning is reductive and not even remotely intelligent or useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing wrong with them offering the option. Those obsessives who want all three covers were probably grateful for the opportunity. It's just not for me.
If I was LRG, I would have offered the three with a special sleeve for even more. LOL So while I didn't opt in, I for sure understand the audience and how many would get all three and then some.

I would gladly be willing to pay a lil extra if it was possible to get my Windjammers poster in a tube of some kind rather than folded, fwiw

Most of the stuff you mentioned I place no value on. Playing cards, mouse pads, lanyards, figures.... don't care. The only CE items that interest me are art books (although, the ones that are included in the Signature Editions CEs don't do anything for me) , soundtracks., maybe a bonus making of disc... I don't mind alternative art work if I like it better than the standard release.

Putting in statues/figures will invalidate everything else typically. Mainly because they drive up the price for something that is almost always of low quality (probably why they are so often included).
Obviously, we all would rather have only a couple of really nice items. Unless you want to start paying $100+ for the CEs, that's not going to happen. I don't really consider that feasible when we're talking about $10-20 digital games. LRG has to have options for pack-ins, and they have to be able to make money.

Also you don't provide any suggestions except art books.

We've actually seen so far that less copies sell with the variant approach vs the reversible cover approach - so making this out to be a money grab is false. When we offer reversible covers, compulsive people purchase two copies of the game AND the CE. When we offer a standard cover and a CE cover, they only buy one standard copy and a CE. There are enough compulsive people buying where we do actually see a noticeable reduction in sales by not taking the reversible approach. The weird thing is that people see the reversible approach as more consumer friendly, so I guess we'll just take that route in the future with this stuff? It worked fine for Night Trap and Wonder Boy - there wasn't really any backlash there on the covers.

I say if you're going to keep doing variants, at least make them look GOOD. None of that Ys Origin crap. I think the only half way decent looking cover for Ys Origin (including both sides of the reversible cover) was the PAX one, and even that was a bit lacking. No point in doing variants if all of the art is bad. I figure you don't have a lot of control over what art you can use (probably up to the dev/publisher), but if you can't provide good art, don't do a million versions of bad art.

I say if you're going to keep doing variants, at least make them look GOOD. None of that Ys Origin crap. I think the only half way decent looking cover for Ys Origin (including both sides of the reversible cover) was the PAX one, and even that was a bit lacking. No point in doing variants if all of the art is bad. I figure you don't have a lot of control over what art you can use (probably up to the dev/publisher), but if you can't provide good art, don't do a million versions of bad art.
The art for Ys was supplied by the publisher. I didn't have any sway or control in the matter. I created a much more appealing cover myself but before I had a chance to pitch it, the ESRB mandate passed and we ended up being locked with everything we had.

The cover art for Nex Machina and 2064 is great across the board, though.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/905431240869908480

The art for Ys was supplied by the publisher. I didn't have any sway or control in the matter. I created a much more appealing cover myself but before I had a chance to pitch it, the ESRB mandate passed and we ended up being locked with everything we had.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/905431240869908480
Damn, that one does look much better!

Agreed. I have a background in graphic design, so I'm a bit prissy when it comes to my cover art. But these two release in particular had solid art for all of the different variations. I could take any of the available choices quite happily. Very pleased with these artistic covers.

We've actually seen so far that less copies sell with the variant approach vs the reversible cover approach - so making this out to be a money grab is false. When we offer reversible covers, compulsive people purchase two copies of the game AND the CE. When we offer a standard cover and a CE cover, they only buy one standard copy and a CE. There are enough compulsive people buying where we do actually see a noticeable reduction in sales by not taking the reversible approach. The weird thing is that people see the reversible approach as more consumer friendly, so I guess we'll just take that route in the future with this stuff? It worked fine for Night Trap and Wonder Boy - there wasn't really any backlash there on the covers.
If my ROM 3 pack happened to arrive with a Night Trap 32X variant cover tucked in the box I wouldn't be mad.... ;)

Welp, I just found an incredible piece of Ys Origin art that I totally regret not pushing to use as one of the covers.
We also regret you didn't try pushing that option more. :*(

@elessar This is a head scratcher to me, I'd rather see Josh be more transparent in the long run, instead of seeing people running the rumor mill with wild speculations on things.
Revealing other people's situations and finances publicly without their consent isn't really the best way to go about things.

Still would like to know if you guys are going to offer a standard edition vita bundle on 12/1. Think it will be very hard to get windjammers with allowing 2 per order and still get Claire in the cart

Still would like to know if you guys are going to offer a standard edition vita bundle on 12/1. Think it will be very hard to get windjammers with allowing 2 per order and still get Claire in the cart
We'll evaluate it as we near the sale date. Things are kind of moving slow right now thanks to the holiday season so I'm not totally sure its necessary. If today's stuff floats through the weekend again, we probably won't bother with any kind of bundles.

Nope, it's always been at 3,800. 2,800 would probably be too low on this one, given how popular it is on Steam (Over 3,000 reviews with an Overwhelmingly Positive rating). I'm so far removed from the shipping side that I don't really know what they allow for combines. I'd ask on Friday, but my gut says the shipping team doesn't do combined orders across runs due to the logistics of handling the shipping manifest. Worth an ask, though!
FYI they wouldnt let me combine shipping. You guys should really consider allowing it for games that aren’t shipping for a while.

I’d love to see bundles of everything released on the same day like we had last week. One click and I’m good.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree with that. I’ve bought all the vita games but only 2 ps4 games so far. Would love to see bundles by system mostly

Can you fill me in with why it’s an unreasonable request? I get it there needs to be a cutoff otherwise people could keep combining for months. However I don’t see the big deal with runs containing stuff that’s not shipping for a while.
When we ship games out, we run a csv of orders into custom software that batches addresses by common combos and it allows us to really quickly burn through shipments. Combined orders have to be removed from the normal flow of our shipping operation and take much longer to handle because everything has to be done manually and one-by-one in terms of printing labels, picking items, and fulfilling orders on the back end. Combining across runs adds another layer of complication.

I'll be willing to swap ROM's with anyone who gets a cover they aren't particularly fond of if I happen to get one that I'm not partial to either.

I'm just tired of seeing the apologists stating that one doesn't need all covers, no one is forcing you to buy them, etc. Well, no shit, thanks for stating the obvious. This is a thread of collectors buying overpriced physical versions of cheap digital games. I think we're far past that point. My main sticking point comes down to LRG knowing for a fact that these tactics make their customers spend more money; and their business model doesn't really need any more of that.

If you are someone that doesn't care about these things, then that's great. You cannot deny that many others do, though, and I do hope that the LRG apologists will at least consider the points that I have made, rather than just tell me I have a mental illness or that no one is forcing me to buy them. That reasoning is reductive and not even remotely intelligent or useful.
o_O;

At least you know it's an issue, but nothing to add since you basically said it yourself already.

And for the record an LRG apologist would be someone defending those practices.

Dictionary.com - Apologist - a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

But I digress...

Revealing other people's situations and finances publicly without their consent isn't really the best way to go about things.
Tomato or tomato.

He's a grown man, he's the CEO of the company and know's what is NDA and what is not. I for one appreciate his frank discussion of the behind-the-scenes of things, if you do not well that's on you, not going to argue this point with a stranger.

It's an issue of semantics whether it is proper discourse to discuss financial issues of his company or the deals he's made with others. If it's not a legally binding issue, I say why not.

...This thread sure goes to some weird places...

**AHEM**

Josh, I see Zeboyd Games updated the KS today and commented directly to my question about CSH getting a split release. No physical release (of anything) until the Vita version is complete.

That stinks, but I have the digital copy, so if I need to play it I can.

o_O;

At least you know it's an issue, but nothing to add since you basically said it yourself already.

And for the record an LRG apologist would be someone defending those practices.

Dictionary.com - Apologist - a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

But I digress...

Tomato or tomato.

He's a grown man, he's the CEO of the company and know's what is NDA and what is not. I for one appreciate his frank discussion of the behind-the-scenes of things, if you do not well that's on you, not going to argue this point with a stranger.
It's an issue of semantics whether it is proper discourse to discuss financial issues of his company or the deals he's made with others. If it's not a legally binding issue, I say why not.

...This thread sure goes to some weird places...

**AHEM**

Josh, I see Zeboyd Games updated the KS today and commented directly to my question about CSH getting a split release. No physical release (of anything) until the Vita version is complete.

That stinks, but I have the digital copy, so if I need to play it I can.
I know what an apologist is. You must have misunderstood what I meant. Thank you for the incredibly condescending use of a bloody dictionary definition, though--that really hammered your point home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

At least LRG replies to comments in a timely fashion. I don’t like that I couldn’t combine shipping but I appreciate the quick response and it makes sense why I can’t. I don’t understand why people like Zaku77 are bashing them. It’s a free country, if they want to make 20 covers for a game they can. The really neat thing about America is that no one is forcing you to buy them. They are a small company and like everyone else will make mistakes. Seems to me like they own up to issues and I’ve never heard of someone not receiving what they paid for.

That's a bummer, did y'all actually print them then get stuck our were they only designed and waiting
We were awaiting final approval from Sony so we didn't lose any money. It's just disappointing because that was going to be a pretty awesome exclusive for our rewards program.

I took the survey. I hope shooter meant shmup and not FPS. Generally not a fan at all of the latter but the former is one of my all time favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back