Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
What's different between Phantom Breaker PS4 & Vita version? It's the same game or different game?
Vita version is a more basic version of the same game. PS4 version adds:

• Couch Co-Op (upto 4 players including online)
  • New Skills Added (Triple Jump, Air Dash Attack, Shadow Attack)
  • More Enemies on Screen
  • Secret Routes
  • New Equipment that changes Out Range attack (Combine equipment)
  • New Aura Equipment that can increase EXP, Coins dropped, Atk, and Def.
  • Music Quality Upgraded
Additionally this disc version bundles in the DLC which includes two more playable characters and some alternate sound options. These are available in the Vita version but through purchasable DLC.

Switch version, as mentioned cuts the Secret Routes from the PS4 version and the online is on hold till the online service starts (I think mid next month?).

The only thing stopping me from Phantom Breaker is the inevitable Switch release.
I feel like for me, the Switch version is the most ideal version. Nearly all the content of the PS4 version.... and unlike the PS4, I already have more than enough controllers to do the 4 player couch co-op. Seems like that's the one worth waiting for (or just going digital on since it's only $10).

It's interesting to me that something as revered as Phantom Breaker is having such a hard time selling through. I got a Vita standard this morning - the CE looked like one of their better ones, but I've been trying to cut back on my CEs lately and I've already got Dragon Quest coming early next month.

West of loathing will be the first switch game I grab from LRG. Then golf story.
I think this will be my 3rd & 4th releases(I'm grabbing Oxenfree that day as well), but West of Loathing will for sure be one of the few open and play on arrival titles. This game looks crazy cool, and while I don't think CE should be offered as much as they are at LRG, this is one of the few titles I would like to see a CE for, but only if it's as unique as this game appears to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a problem - I'm 100% on Switch releases. But I don't feel too bad, since I've wanted every one of them except Thumper, which I only bought because I have a problem. But I'm getting WoL, as my son loves that game, so I continue my 100% Switch order rate.

I have been trying my best to not spend money on more LRG releases but couldn’t resist Late Shift.

I just need a little hit every now and then to stay level.

I don't care about trophies so I'm really looking for Switch first (portable + console = win) then Vita as often that might mean PSTV compatibility too.

I'm watching the Metal Jesus Crew Q&A from the current MoGame Con... I remember last year LRG did a panel... anyone know if they did one this year too?

I try to balance it out a little bit. I'll often go PS4 if I'm looking for performance, or if there is a strong local multiplayer focus. I have four PS4 controllers, so it has a slight edge for local multiplayer, although the Switch is edging in on it in that regard. Performance is obvious. The PS4 simply has the most muscle, so graphics-intensive games are often going to get the PS4 nod for me. When Odin Sphere was announced, I couldn't pre-order the PS4 version fast enough, but still haven't bothered with a Vita copy. That is a game that was made to showcase graphics, and having it in full 1080p at 60 fps is a thing to behold.

At this point, the Vita is mainly for collecting, and occasionally for exclusive features. Surprisingly, some Vita games, especially the smaller indie titles, will occassionally get exclusive features on the Vita. I can't just ignore those. PSTV support also affects my decision, as it increases my options for playback. The Vita is rarely my go-to platform for a multi-platform release these days, but it is still hanging in there.

The Switch is an easy choice, but will get edged out in the more performance-intensive titles. It's not that odd for me to double-up between Switch and PS4 releases. For indie games that don't push graphics as much, the Switch is a shoe-in. I just knabbed Owlboy for the Switch, even though the PS4 version was on sale for $5 cheaper. The portable option is strong, and the Switch can handle pixel graphics just fine.

I don't care about trophies so I'm really looking for Switch first (portable + console = win) then Vita as often that might mean PSTV compatibility too.

I'm watching the Metal Jesus Crew Q&A from the current MoGame Con... I remember last year LRG did a panel... anyone know if they did one this year too?
I watched DSKoopa's livestream from Mo, and they weren't there.

Looks like Sekai Project just laid off a bunch of people.
I'm backing Tokyo Chronos and they said it would be unaffected. It's hard to believe that 70k wouldn't get siphoned into a struggling company but we'll see. With 7 days left and around 14k needed to succeed I can't tell if the project has much of a chance anyway.

On another note, has there been any discussion about upping the amount steelbook quantities for some of these Switch games or doing a reprint? It sounds like these are typically gone within minutes and I just can't police the site enough.

They have never reprinted anything before and have stated as a company motto at the start that they wouldn't reprint games. So that might also include not reprinting game extras.

The quantity of steelbooks would be based on the popularity of the game i guess.

Info Dump from the Discord

A couple of info pieces from Doug yesterday on the LRG Discord:
-- Mystery PS4/Vita game is expected to be formally announced later today.
-- October has been described as a "huge month" that's "pretty intense IMO" with a "huge horror game" and "another retro one."
-- Layers of Fear might not be a numbered release like Oceanhorn on Switch.
-- Approx. 12 more Switch games expected before the end of the year.
-- Papers, Please is looking to be a "big likely" on their side.
-- Atelier probably not happening as a result of Switch re-releases.
-- "Something of royal proportions is coming in September for PS4/Vita."
-- They still would like to try releasing some PS1 and PS2 titles.
-- They've been trying to secure XCOM on Vita and Hollow Knight though the later will likely be retail as the developer has been pushing hard for it.
-- Blaster Master on Switch likely heading to retail from another publisher.

gunhouseps4wide.jpg

GunhouseVita.jpg

Re: gunhouse... Never heard of the game. I'm slightly drunk so the launch trailer got a few chuckles out of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzokB1821Mw

But I think they lost me at "tower defense". Convince me otherwise. And/or fight me.

I remember Gunhouse being on sale for 50 cents during the end days of PS Mobile. Didn't buy it then and certainly not now.

Plus Brandon Sheffield reminds me of Phil Fish.

Plus Brandon Sheffield reminds me of Phil Fish.
Phil Fish is a selfish and pretentious asshole who decided to deprive the world of his talent because he couldn’t hand social media. Fez is amazing regardless and it is a damn shame that he gave up so quickly for a very petty excuse.

Info Dump from the Discord

A couple of info pieces from Doug yesterday on the LRG Discord:

-- They still would like to try releasing some PS1 and PS2 titles.
I thought they stopped PS1/PS2 production years ago? How would this work? And am I right to think that they'd be re-releasing games (since PS1/PS2 don't have digital games).

I thought they stopped PS1/PS2 production years ago? How would this work? And am I right to think that they'd be re-releasing games (since PS1/PS2 don't have digital games).
There was a semi recent reprint of Yakuza 1 and 2. It is sometime last year I think. So they must still be easy enough to produce.

I'm thinking it could be something similar to the reprint of harder to find games, like the Yakuza example, and the reprints of Atlus games that have randomly happened over the years. Maybe even some PAL releases we never saw in NA.

I can pipe dream and hope it means they are releasing some of the PS2 on PS4 games physical though. And an even bigger pipe dream that ps1 refers to FF 7 and FF9 on PS4, even though I doubt either of those is happening.

Considering that they're just CD-ROMS/DVD discs, they're not hard to manufacture or come by. All you would need are the licenses/rights amongst other things.

EDIT: Technically re-releasing games, but only ones that never made it to NA region like Asia and Europe only releases.

Considering that they're just CD-ROMS/DVD discs, they're not hard to manufacture or come by. All you would need are the licenses/rights amongst other things.

EDIT: Technically re-releasing games, but only ones that never made it to NA region like Asia and Europe only releases.

If they wanted to get into the market of helping localize non NA-Releases on the PS1 and PS2, I would be REALLY interested at the thought of buying those. Not so much if it's the case of re-releasing NA games as other companies have already done that with games like Rhapsody, the SMT series and more.

The PS1 and PS2 were based on established disc standards. There were non-standard versions of those discs produced. (the infamous PS1 black discs, and the PS2 blue discs) But these were just slight production variations, they weren't technically proprietary formats. The underlying disc standard for the PS1 was always Compact Discs, and for the PS2 was Digital Video Discs.

As such, there is nothing stopping someone from producing new PS1 or PS2 games. If you wanted to make them official, you would need to go through Sony for the licensing, but the production wouldn't have to go through them. Technically, you could even do the same for the PS3. (they are non-proprietary Blu-Rays) Those home consoles aren't the same scenario as proprietary cartridges. Nintendo has generally been the only company that has insisted on proprietary optical discs.

Have they announced standard edition price for West of Loathing?  It's $11 on eshop... and the CAG in me is starting to come back to reality and say yeah I want to play that but not for $70.  I might just go digital on this like I'm probably going to do with Phantom Breaker Batttlegrounds on Switch.

If they wanted to get into the market of helping localize non NA-Releases on the PS1 and PS2, I would be REALLY interested at the thought of buying those. Not so much if it's the case of re-releasing NA games as other companies have already done that with games like Rhapsody, the SMT series and more.
^ This--reprinting old, released, NA shit is useless. Especially, with all of these remasters going around.

Meh, I'll be passing on this one,as the playing cards and cloth map are the only draw for me. And if I'm paying 70 for those items, I need my head examined. Lol

Game looks way cool, so for sure getting the standard, but no need for the CE. Thanks again LRG, as you guys keep making these choices easy for me. There have been a few in recent months that made me pause, but then I returned my senses and thought better of it.

I could have sworn it was this Friday too. I'm thinking they moved it
Ongoing pre-orders
Night Trap (Switch) open pre-order until 20th July

Still In Stock
Magicka 2 (PS4, 3,500 copies)

July 20th 2018
Thumper (Switch & PS4 open pre-order until 3rd August, 2000 Switch CEs and 1000 PS4 CEs)
Hue (PS4, Vita, 2300 copies of each platform)

July 27th 2018 TBC
Exile's End (PS4, Vita number of copies TBC)
Everspace (PS4, open pre-orders until 24th August)
Mystery Game (PS4, Vita, open pre-orders for 30 days)

August 3rd 2018
Mystery Game 2: Mystery Harder (Switch, presumably open-preoders for 14 days)

August 10th 2018
Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds (PS4, Vita, number of copies TBC)
Rabi-Rabi (PS4, Vita, number of copies TBC)

August 17th 2018
West of Loathing (Switch) open pre-order until 31st August

August 24th 2018
Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit (Vita, number of copies TBC)

August 31st 2018
Dust: An Elysian Tail (Switch, open pre-orders until 14th September)

September 3rd 2018
Yooka Laylee (Switch, open pre-orders until 1st October)

September 7th 2018
Salt and Sanctuary (PS4, Vita, number of copies TBC)
Mystery Game With A Vengeance (PS4, number of copies TBC)
Live Free or Mystery Game (PS4, number of copies TBC)

Meh, I'll be passing on this one,as the playing cards and cloth map are the only draw for me. And if I'm paying 70 for those items, I need my head examined. Lol

Game looks way cool, so for sure getting the standard, but no need for the CE. Thanks again LRG, as you guys keep making these choices easy for me. There have been a few in recent months that made me pause, but then I returned my senses and thought better of it.
Yeah, no steelbook makes it an easy pass for me. Maybe if it was $10 to $15 cheaper. The only meaty thing you are getting in it is the soundtrack - everything else seems to be fairly cheap filler. I'm sure it will sell well for them though as the rabid Switch fan base seems to buy anything. Though I'm sure they will get fed up at some point too.

Have they announced standard edition price for West of Loathing? It's $11 on eshop... and the CAG in me is starting to come back to reality and say yeah I want to play that but not for $70. I might just go digital on this like I'm probably going to do with Phantom Breaker Batttlegrounds on Switch.
$29.99 for the standard edition according to their latest email.

I think Bon Appetit will be one of my last Vita physical releases. The last at this point will be likely Rabi Rabi, and maybe House in Fata Morgana. Feels kind of good honestly....though I love the Vita and all, it's coming to it's closing point IMHO.

I think Bon Appetit will be one of my last Vita physical releases. The last at this point will be likely Rabi Rabi, and maybe House in Fata Morgana. Feels kind of good honestly....though I love the Vita and all, it's coming to it's closing point IMHO.
There's no question it's coming to a close what with Sony ending cart production stateside. Also incredibly excited for Bon Apetit. Besides that and S&S probably not many others I'll be picking up. Glad production in JP will continue on but I import so infrequently I doubt it will do much. Shame. I really really wanted physical copies of P3 and P5 dance

Yea, I don't even remember the last Vita title I bought at this point. I would have loved Labyrinth of Refrain on Vita physical, and Stranger of Sword City Revisited, but oh well.

Edit: It was VA-11 HALL-A. Before that, was March.

I didn't know what I was getting into when I first thought I could collect all R1 release for Vita. I think it was shortly after Breach & Clear came out...

bread's done
Back