Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
So now we're getting NES games on PS4, I didn't see this coming. LOL https://limitedrungames.com/products/limited-run-182-8-bit-adventure-anthology-ps4?utm_source=Limited+Run+Games+Newsletter&utm_campaign=458ec86608-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_10_11_08_36&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5a5b46cbe7-458ec86608-150915281&goal=0_5a5b46cbe7-458ec86608-150915281&mc_cid=458ec86608&mc_eid=858e51038e

This is kind of cool I guess, but the NES versions of these games are about the weakest options, but also maybe the easiest to make happen on PS4. I do love all 3 games, just not the NES versions, as those are good if your only option, but nothing great that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mega Bundle today actually makes sense for once.  You only get one copy of each game, plus it appears you get some bonus cards with the bundle, including a guaranteed gold one.  I was definitely going to be picking up both games today, so I might as well go for the bundle.

I got my tribute box and UPS "loved" my box too much :whistle2:( I haven't had to do a replacement since oddworld abe's odysee. Shipping is going to be expensive.

I got my tribute box and UPS "loved" my box too much :whistle2:( I haven't had to do a replacement since oddworld abe's odysee. Shipping is going to be expensive.
I also got my copy a couple days ago and luckily it arrived unscathed. It's a nice package overall, though was a little surprised how big the box was.

One thing I don't get is why Nintendo is forcing LRG to add Switch branding to their CE boxes while companies like NISA can just slap a "For Hybrid Console" sticker on their Switch CE boxes and be done with it. Is Nintendo unfairly targeting LRG with this requirement?

So now we're getting NES games on PS4, I didn't see this coming. LOL https://limitedrungames.com/products/limited-run-182-8-bit-adventure-anthology-ps4?utm_source=Limited+Run+Games+Newsletter&utm_campaign=458ec86608-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_10_11_08_36&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5a5b46cbe7-458ec86608-150915281&goal=0_5a5b46cbe7-458ec86608-150915281&mc_cid=458ec86608&mc_eid=858e51038e

This is kind of cool I guess, but the NES versions of these games are about the weakest options, but also maybe the easiest to make happen on PS4. I do love all 3 games, just not the NES versions, as those are good if your only option, but nothing great that's for sure.
Yeah, I was SO excited when this showed up on Xbox Store last year as I played the heck out of Shadowgate on NES and never finished Uninvited. Out of curiosity, why did you dislike the NES versions? Too slow without a mouse?

I also got my copy a couple days ago and luckily it arrived unscathed. It's a nice package overall, though was a little surprised how big the box was.

One thing I don't get is why Nintendo is forcing LRG to add Switch branding to their CE boxes while companies like NISA can just slap a "For Hybrid Console" sticker on their Switch CE boxes and be done with it. Is Nintendo unfairly targeting LRG with this requirement?
I thought that statement was odd as well. Got the Disgaea 1 CE the other day and NIS is still using those stickers so I don't know why LRG had to put the branding

Layers of Fear (PS4) is at 45%... or 1112 copies. 16 Sold in the last 24hours. It's tracking as expected. Tomorrow it'll be interesting seeing what the number is that morning before the sale and after the first hour of the sale. I may follow it just to see. This market is kind of interesting as it's own minigame.

6 copies of Narcosis left as of this moment. Unless it gets buried in tomorrows sale, I think it'll sell out. I'm actually pretty amazed LRG didn't just pull the copies so they could claim it sold out. Kudos to them.
Layers of Fear (PS4) is at 37%... or 1093 copies. That's fishy since yesterday it was 45% with 1112 copies. 19 copies shouldn't be worth 8% when 16copies only dropped it 1% the day before. As a whole run, it's 27.325% remaining. Clearly behind the scenes something manipulated the total original copies for the batch which makes it appear it's selling faster than it is. Doing some simple math, it appears the original amount listed was nearly 2500 (2471 rounded up) copies... the new amount listed makes it appear there were 3000 (2954 rounded up) copies in the batch. Like I said, it's fishy.

Narcosis sold out those last 6 copies. For such a small run, 2800 copies, it shows just now fickle this market can be.

I'm kind of surprised at 8-Bit Adventure Anthology. First, surprising since a remaster of Shadowgate for the Switch is supposed to release this fall (announced a week or two ago). Second, this was just out of left field. I really dislike the way they drop announcements like this a day before a release. Even though I don't mind the NES versions at all, I think if I really wanted to play these versions I'd probably just do through other means (leaning towards the NES Classic with that sweet original nes pad).

I thought that statement was odd as well. Got the Disgaea 1 CE the other day and NIS is still using those stickers so I don't know why LRG had to put the branding
I think it's plausible that it's not enforced on NISA because the CE's they sell are only sold direct to the customers by mail where as LRG's games have retail distribution. Granted it might be limited distribution but the moment you put a game in stores the rules change. That's what lead to the whole deal with the ESRB. They were selling in retail locations and got caught.

Yeah, I was SO excited when this showed up on Xbox Store last year as I played the heck out of Shadowgate on NES and never finished Uninvited. Out of curiosity, why did you dislike the NES versions? Too slow without a mouse?
Well, no real "dislike", just said the NES versions are the weakest options, and that's mostly due to no mouse support(there are also better graphic options other places as well). As I stated, I didn't love them, but if someones only option, they are more than enjoyable. If I had played these originally, they would probably be on my top NES games list, as they are all good point & click games, which I'm a fan of.

My first romp with these was on the Amiga, and I didn't even find out about the NES versions until much later than that. All versions across all platforms have pluses and minuses, but these games are P&C, and without a mouse, there really is no point & click so to speak. So that's why I personally prefer other versions.

An hour in....

Layers of Fear is at 1003 copies while claiming 35% remain.   So 90 copies sold.  Not a huge number but that's more than 4x what they sold in the previous 24hours.  It'll be interesting to see where things are on Monday morning.

8-Bit Adventures is at 270 copies claiming 14% remain.  So basic math (270/0.14), 1929 copies were  available for the first batch of the 3000 print run.  That is an odd number so doing some more math... 270/2000 would equal 13.5%... which rounds up to 14%... so I'd lean towards the original allotment being 2000.

My first romp with these was on the Amiga, and I didn't even find out about the NES versions until much later than that. All versions across all platforms have pluses and minuses, but these games are P&C, and without a mouse, there really is no point & click so to speak. So that's why I personally prefer other versions.
There's the PS4 touchpad, though. It's kind of close, although probably way more sensitive than the mouse which could be a pain when it seems like this game could require you to be pixel perfect at times. I wonder if they have any touch pad sensitivity option.

An hour in....

Layers of Fear is at 1003 copies while claiming 35% remain. So 90 copies sold. Not a huge number but that's more than 4x what they sold in the previous 24hours. It'll be interesting to see where things are on Monday morning.

8-Bit Adventures is at 270 copies claiming 14% remain. So basic math (270/0.14), 1929 copies were available for the first batch of the 3000 print run. That is an odd number so doing some more math... 270/2000 would equal 13.5%... which rounds up to 14%... so I'd lean towards the original allotment being 2000.
They don’t number their games. There is no numbers on the back of their releases like the other limited companies. so these numbers don’t really mean anything. I’m sure they print way more than they say that the do.

There's the PS4 touchpad, though. It's kind of close, although probably way more sensitive than the mouse which could be a pain when it seems like this game could require you to be pixel perfect at times. I wonder if they have any touch pad sensitivity option.
Well, releasing 20+ year old games on the PS4, I would hope they take advantage of the touch pad, but as stated, no telling how well that may work(or not).

Well, releasing 20+ year old games on the PS4, I would hope they take advantage of the touch pad, but as stated, no telling how well that may work(or not).
Oh, they definitely allow the PS4 touchpad to be used. I did see one review where the reviewer mentioned it was pretty sensitive.

Only 7 left from the morning batch of 8-bit Adventures.

They don’t number their games. There is no numbers on the back of their releases like the other limited companies. so these numbers don’t really mean anything. I’m sure they print way more than they say that the do.
While it's true they don't number individual copies, they have made it very clear in the past that they only produce the number that they advertise and that number includes all the replacement copies, trade show copies and those sent to retailers. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that what they are saying is true. After 180+ individual released games (plus the LE's) they've done so far, there's no evidence that suggests they are lying about production numbers. As it stands it looks like the evening batch should be at most the remaining 1000 copies of the game as well as any sales that had to be cancelled from the morning batch. If they haven't allotted for replacements, retail and trade show copies then the number will be lower.

Ultimately I'm tracking the numbers out of curiosity. It's just something to do and it'll be interesting to see what the evening batch ends up being as well as how quickly it sells out and if it affects Layers of Fear dying in sales. So far Layers of Fear hasn't had the boost that Senran Kagura got with it's massive amount of leftovers from the launch weekend.

Oh, they definitely allow the PS4 touchpad to be used.
Sweet. Now I feel even better about picking up a copy. "Adventure Game" is an easy way to get me in the door. "8-bit" makes things a little more difficult. While there were a few decent adventure games on the NES (several of which are in this collection) it was definitely not a genre that the console was known for. And D-Pad controls were part of that. Being able to use the PS4's touchpad would go a long way to making these games more playable.

It is entirely possible to make a capable Adventure game with a console-centric control scheme. Just look at titles like Snatcher. But you do have to build your game for that control scheme from the ground up. Attempting to fuse a d-pad with a game that was originally designed for a mouse has much more flawed results.

Also, this 8-Bit Adventure Anthology reminds me of something. Am I the only one who misses original cover art? The iconic art-work from these game's covers is so much better than most of the cover design you see today.

Being able to use the PS4's touchpad would go a long way to making these games more playable.

Also, this 8-Bit Adventure Anthology reminds me of something. Am I the only one who misses original cover art? The iconic art-work from these game's covers is so much better than most of the cover design you see today.
I had seen the touchpad usage in a youtube review. The reviewer did mention something about the sensitivity, but I still bet it would be better than the sticks/d-pad.

And I agree about the art-work - as someone who is a sucker for these physical releases, the art work is going a long way on selling me on buying something that I have a slim chance of playing. Look at that artwork which is in stark contrast to, say, the uninspired and lazy cover art for Sony's huge Spider-Man game. Not that there still isn't decent artwork out there for modern releases....

Do I just buy 2 copies of golf story or bundle 1 copy with something else? Layers of fear doesn't really interest me, same with the NES collection as I've never played any of them before, and already have broken age on vita.

Ok this is suspicious. Currently it shows 381 left with 20%. So 381/0.20=1905 copies available. This is not possible since they had 2000 in the am batch. It appears if they really are only doing a 3000 run then they are padding the number to make it look like it's selling faster. As in "oh no only 20% left, I better buy now!" ... as the real number was around 1000 copies or possibly even just 900 (since some were pulled for the bundles)... and 381/900 would just be 42%. In any case... it looks like it'll sell out, but I really hope they aren't purposefully manipulating the site to make it look like it's selling faster than reality. It's entirely possible the 3000 on the listing was a typo and it should have been 4000. LRG is known for typos.

Ok this is suspicious. Currently it shows 381 left with 20%. So 381/0.20=1905 copies available. This is not possible since they had 2000 in the am batch. It appears if they really are only doing a 3000 run then they are padding the number to make it look like it's selling faster. As in "oh no only 20% left, I better buy now!" ... as the real number was around 1000 copies or possibly even just 900 (since some were pulled for the bundles)... and 381/900 would just be 42%. In any case... it looks like it'll sell out, but I really hope they aren't purposefully manipulating the site to make it look like it's selling faster than reality. It's entirely possible the 3000 on the listing was a typo and it should have been 4000. LRG is known for typos.
Doesn't seem suspicious to me. They were moving stock into the bundle this morning and I believe they did it again this afternoon, so copies were moving from one SKU to the other to meet demand. The total print run is still the same.

people also got paid on Friday, maybe they decided to splurge, on the spur of the moment purchases, etc. Or maybe someone on Facebook/Twitter saw their posts. 

people also got paid on Friday, maybe they decided to splurge, on the spur of the moment purchases, etc. Or maybe someone on Facebook/Twitter saw their posts.
Seriously this^

let's stop the conspiracy/witch hunting.

More seriously, I need help deciding my purchase guys, PLEASE

I'm kind of surprised at 8-Bit Adventure Anthology. First, surprising since a remaster of Shadowgate for the Switch is supposed to release this fall (announced a week or two ago).

Second, this was just out of left field. (highlighted for emphasis)

I really dislike the way they drop announcements like this a day before a release. Even though I don't mind the NES versions at all, I think if I really wanted to play these versions I'd probably just do through other means (leaning towards the NES Classic with that sweet original nes pad).
This was not a stealth release.

Olengie posts the hints they share in the discord chat and it was mentioned there (albeit incorrectly ID'ed as Bloodstained)

Josh brought this up on Twitter over a month ago (I know, I replied to him) so it wasn't a big secret to anyone that this was happening if you check the usual spaces and paying attention to any hints they might drop.

I thought each CE came with it's own poster, than there was one specific to having buying both CE's together?
Yeah, they had it in the description for both CE pages that orders containing both CE's would get an additional poster of combined artwork.

I had thought that buying 2 sets would net you 2 posters since it did not state that the posters were limited per order.

Yeah, they had it in the description for both CE pages that orders containing both CE's would get an additional poster of combined artwork.

I had thought that buying 2 sets would net you 2 posters since it did not state that the posters were limited per order.
Interesting - is the unique poster inside one of the game boxes? I ordered both CEs together in the same order, received it Friday and there were no additional items besides the game boxes, cards and loyalty tickets.

Interesting - is the unique poster inside one of the game boxes? I ordered both CEs together in the same order, received it Friday and there were no additional items besides the game boxes, cards and loyalty tickets.
Are both sets sealed? If so, it would appear you may not have gotten your bonus poster, as buyers could have bought one or the other, with out getting both, so it's very unlikely the bonus poster would be included within one of the boxes(unless not sealed). It's probably a good idea to open a support ticket at this point and see what's going on?

Nope, it came separate in a little poster tube. Looks like they might messed up the orders then and everyone will need to put in a ticket for them.

Nope, it came separate in a little poster tube. Looks like they might messed up the orders then and everyone will need to put in a ticket for them.
Oh crap - I actually got it then. I just assumed the tube was something they put in the box to help keep the contents from shifting around during shipping. Good thing I didn't throw it out yet lol.

The "Biggest PS4 Game Ever" got moved to November, so we're now getting Defender's Quest (PS4/Vita) and Mages of Mystralia (PS4) next week.

Man, Defender's Quest looks kind of awful.  Hopefully it plays better than it looks.

Mages of Mystralia looks like an easy purchase for me, especially since I didn't back the Kickstarter.

Hey guys I ordered cosmic star heroine for vita back in May - have those shipped yet?

Don’t regularly buy from LRG so idk how long these things take.

Edit: just checked their website and see that the vita version should be ready to ship October 18th.

8-Bit Adventures sold out.

Layers of Fear is at 1003 copies while claiming 35% remain. So 90 copies sold. Not a huge number but that's more than 4x what they sold in the previous 24hours. It'll be interesting to see where things are on Monday morning.
Layers of Fear is at 901 copies while claiming 31% remain. So between an hour after the first batch on Friday and this morning it's sold 102 copies. Amazing to see it only get 192 copies sold with the friday drop. I guess people just didn't show up.

This was not a stealth release.

Olengie posts the hints they share in the discord chat and it was mentioned there (albeit incorrectly ID'ed as Bloodstained)

Josh brought this up on Twitter over a month ago (I know, I replied to him) so it wasn't a big secret to anyone that this was happening if you check the usual spaces and paying attention to any hints they might drop.
Looking back through the thread... DoubeDam21 posted on Tuesday that 8-Bit Adventures Anthology was coming on friday with a mystery ps4 game. Not knowing what that was, I didn't think anything of it until chrislaustin posted on Thursday with the link to the game showing up on the LRG site for the next day and how he didn't see this [NES Games on PS4] coming and his negative stance on NES point&click adventure games.

I typically only follow this one thread for everything LRG. I don't have the time to track one company through so many avenues of media (multiple twitter accounts, discord, their own forums, their often neglected site, their content on Reddit, various random interviews, ... and so on). They are so scatterbrained with their advertising and posting cryptic messages such as ... "something 8-bit and/or a bloody month that stains your hands" it's just not worth the effort to track it all when I buy maybe 4% of what they sell. I'm super thankful that those that follow all the randomness of LRG posts about it here and make this a central repository for what the company is up to.

8-Bit Adventures sold out.

Layers of Fear is at 901 copies while claiming 31% remain. So between an hour after the first batch on Friday and this morning it's sold 102 copies. Amazing to see it only get 192 copies sold with the friday drop. I guess people just didn't show up.
If this is the case why are you so concerned with the sell through rate of the games they are releasing?

Just buy what you like and stop posting this nonsense every time a game doesn't sell out immediately. No one cares.

Looking back through the thread... DoubeDam21 posted on Tuesday that 8-Bit Adventures Anthology was coming on friday with a mystery ps4 game. Not knowing what that was, I didn't think anything of it until chrislaustin posted on Thursday with the link to the game showing up on the LRG site for the next day and how he didn't see this [NES Games on PS4] coming and his negative stance on NES point&click adventure games.

I typically only follow this one thread for everything LRG. I don't have the time to track one company through so many avenues of media (multiple twitter accounts, discord, their own forums, their often neglected site, their content on Reddit, various random interviews, ... and so on). They are so scatterbrained with their advertising and posting cryptic messages such as ... "something 8-bit and/or a bloody month that stains your hands" it's just not worth the effort to track it all when I buy maybe 4% of what they sell. I'm super thankful that those that follow all the randomness of LRG posts about it here and make this a central repository for what the company is up to.
LRGs have been announcing their game releases the same way since they started. I'm sure lots of people don't like how they do what they do. I don't really like that they always wait to the week of release but they work differently than a big box retailer. Just accept it and move on. They are not going to change because what they are doing is working just fine for them.

It's almost like the point of a forum is to discuss things. People will naturally like or dislike said things. I think if we all just accepted everything and moved on, there would be no forum. 

LRGs have been announcing their game releases the same way since they started. I'm sure lots of people don't like how they do what they do. I don't really like that they always wait to the week of release but they work differently than a big box retailer. Just accept it and move on. They are not going to change because what they are doing is working just fine for them.
Nah, that's not the way they've always done it. Back when they were putting out fewer releases it was easier to give people a lot more notice. We'd know release dates a couple weeks ahead of time (and then get pissy when the dates got pushed back a week, lol), or we'd have an idea of which games they were preparing for the next month--that kind of stuff. Now, it'd be way harder to offer people that kind of notice for every release considering how many more games they're churning out, but I don't think announcing new games only a day or two ahead of the sale is a great solution, either.

FWIW though, the way they've been handling their Switch releases has been pretty great. We generally know which ones are coming up for the next month or two, and the release dates are usually announced by the Monday before they go on sale. I really like that approach.

It's almost like the point of a forum is to discuss things. People will naturally like or dislike said things. I think if we all just accepted everything and moved on, there would be no forum.
Yes, but at some point, the same arguments have been made hundreds of times and there is nothing more to say about them. There is plenty to discuss including new product announcements, opinions about the games that are announced or released, etc...none of which involve a constant analysis of LRG's business practices. I mean I visit lots of other threads here and elsewhere and I don't see people constantly complaining about how Ubisoft or EA or NIS or anyone else advertises or the rate at which they sell through. There is something unique about LRG that brings out a bizarre combination of envy and self-loathing like no other company I have ever seen. I've suggested it before, but if people want to discuss LRG as a company rather than their games, they should do it within a new thread in another subforum. Of course, the trolls and threadcrappers here won't allow that to happen because they adore the attention too much.

What really bugs me about making future titles a mystery is that I have to now gamble on what may come and skip ones I would have otherwise bought. I skipped Golf Story and the Adventure Anthology because I saw “Biggest PS4 release evar!!!!” on the calendar and I don’t want to miss it IF it’s something I want. If it isn’t I wasted my chance for Golf Story and Adventure Anthology for nothing. Plus the other mystery titles could be something I’d want too. All I can do is hope that the games I’ve skipped this year show up during their BF madness sales. I picked up nearly every single quick drop game except a couple of bad games or at least games I had absolutely no interest in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't expect them to change. I felt like a reply was due since it was pointed out that one release was common knowledge for a month yet no one here talked about it until the week of release. If the serious fans that buy nearly everything aren't in the know then the knowledge is a bit obscure. I know of no other game publisher on the market that is as secretive as LRG. Even the other tiny publishers so some advertising build up for their releases.

I mean I visit lots of other threads here and elsewhere and I don't see people constantly complaining about how Ubisoft or EA or NIS or anyone else advertises or the rate at which they sell through.
There are no threads on this forum dedicated to those game publishers. Additionally those publishers produce games at numbers higher than anything LRG does and don't report the production numbers. Those publishers have no problems doing more production runs of games that are selling great. NIS might be the only one worth complaining about with production sizes, but they don't sell through preorders in a weekend and often do regular retail as well as their lower print limited editions.

Yes, but at some point, the same arguments have been made hundreds of times and there is nothing more to say about them. There is plenty to discuss including new product announcements, opinions about the games that are announced or released, etc...none of which involve a constant analysis of LRG's business practices. I mean I visit lots of other threads here and elsewhere and I don't see people constantly complaining about how Ubisoft or EA or NIS or anyone else advertises or the rate at which they sell through. There is something unique about LRG that brings out a bizarre combination of envy and self-loathing like no other company I have ever seen. I've suggested it before, but if people want to discuss LRG as a company rather than their games, they should do it within a new thread in another subforum. Of course, the trolls and threadcrappers here won't allow that to happen because they adore the attention too much.
I find it amusing that most of the negativity in this thread stems from people complaining about the nature of the thread. This thread IS unique for being a forum to discuss everything LRG, including viewpoints you may agree or disagree with. If people can't appreciate the diverse viewpoints, then find one of the many alternatives that cater more to your needs, because I don't think it is likely to change much otherwise.

bread's done
Back