Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Wait, they are reverting it?
They are essentially cancelling both the digital and the ticket rewards, although the tickets can be redeemed for the foreseeable future. Going forward, they are going to send an annual gift to frequent buyers rather than doing a more labor intensive rewards system.

I would love for them to do a physical Marvel vs Capcom 2 for PS3. Haha there’s no way they can get the rights to that but I can dream.

The real issue with Scott Pilgrim's licensing is that the original game was kind-of a promotional tie-in with the feature-length film. But the film tanked hard in terms of profits for Universal Studios. There actually isn't very much in the game as far as references to the film. The game is much more heavily inspired by the comics, and never makes reference to any of the actors in the film, and doesn't use any of the films audio or visual assets. Unfortunately, there is a Universal Studios logo in the intro credits sequence. So an original version of the game would require Universal Studios say-so, and they've been attempting to sweep that entire project under the rug ever since it bombed at the box-office.

Then there is also Ubisoft (the original game publisher), the actual game developers, Paul Robertson (the primary pixel artist), and the author/illustrator of the Scott Pilgrim comic. You'd have to wrangle licensing from pretty much all of them, and it is likely that all of them would want a cut.

It is most likely Universal Studios that is the primary obstacle. All the other parties involved have nothing to fear from the game cropping up again. The game got plenty of positive reviews when it came out, and is generally very well regarded by fans. It features great work by Paul Robertson, so he would likely be fine having it in more hands. And it would be a great promotional tool for the original comics, so the original author probably wouldn't mind having it re-released. No, Universal Studios is almost certainly the ones saying no. They've been trying to bury anything Scott-Pilgrim-related since their box-office bust.

The real issue with Scott Pilgrim's licensing is that the original game was kind-of a promotional tie-in with the feature-length film. But the film tanked hard in terms of profits for Universal Studios. There actually isn't very much in the game as far as references to the film. The game is much more heavily inspired by the comics, and never makes reference to any of the actors in the film, and doesn't use any of the films audio or visual assets. Unfortunately, there is a Universal Studios logo in the intro credits sequence. So an original version of the game would require Universal Studios say-so, and they've been attempting to sweep that entire project under the rug ever since it bombed at the box-office.

Then there is also Ubisoft (the original game publisher), the actual game developers, Paul Robertson (the primary pixel artist), and the author/illustrator of the Scott Pilgrim comic. You'd have to wrangle licensing from pretty much all of them, and it is likely that all of them would want a cut.

It is most likely Universal Studios that is the primary obstacle. All the other parties involved have nothing to fear from the game cropping up again. The game got plenty of positive reviews when it came out, and is generally very well regarded by fans. It features great work by Paul Robertson, so he would likely be fine having it in more hands. And it would be a great promotional tool for the original comics, so the original author probably wouldn't mind having it re-released. No, Universal Studios is almost certainly the ones saying no. They've been trying to bury anything Scott-Pilgrim-related since their box-office bust.
Most of that sounds like conjecture. I doubt most of the parties you reference have any say whatsoever. I also doubt Universal has been actively trying to "bury" anything having to do with Scott Pilgrim. This was a licensing agreement between Ubisoft and Universal that expired. That's it. I'd be surprised if either party saw the $$$ needed to motivate them to renew.

There are plenty of other games from licensed properties that saw licenses expire and removal from PSN and XBL. LRG won't be releasing "The Simpsons Arcade" or "Turtles in Time" any time soon, either.

They are essentially cancelling both the digital and the ticket rewards, although the tickets can be redeemed for the foreseeable future. Going forward, they are going to send an annual gift to frequent buyers rather than doing a more labor intensive rewards system.
Yeah, tickets are supposed to be supplied to all orders through November of 2018. I'm hoping I get some for past that, as I'll be close to another 40, but if the cut off is in fact November, I'm screwed. LOL So here's hoping they have extra, and just gives those out until there gone, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

Scott Pilgrim... even though I own the digital version of the game... I'd consider a PS3 copy.  I'm less interested in Yakuza 5 since there's a good chance 3, 4 & 5 will make it state side on the PS4.  I bought 5 digitally as a preorder (I think that's my only digital pre-order ever)... and will be fine sticking with it until the PS4 version comes out.  Supposedly 3 is in the works now (been out since mid last year in Japan, 4 is about to come out in Japan) and it's just taking extra time because it's not just a straight up translate job since the context of some things doesn't translate well.

I'm expecting the LRG PS3 line to be more on the lines of cross platform games that have been free on PS+ or that they've already released on other platforms.  So, expectations are super LOW... and I probably will end up buying none of them.

On a side note the movie for Scott Pilgrim is remarkably good.  I can see why it tanked at the boxoffice, but it's already a cult classic.  It has a pretty solid cast too.

I really hope they can establish a relationship with Sega on releasing some PS3 games. I would love to see Yakuza 5, but I remember either from LRG’s twitter or from here on CAG that the current US version of the game cannot be mounted on a Blu-Ray disc without some rework that Sega doesn’t want to do.

I really hope they work on getting After Burner Climax on to disc as there is no legal way to purchase the game anymore. Would love to see the Daytona USA PS3 remake as well. How about Castle of Illusion or a House of the Dead bundle?

Wait?! was there an email about this? when did they announce it or where can i read more about this?

Has there been any news on when Best Buy is planning to put Celeste up for pre-order? I’m really getting tired of checking all the time to make sure I don’t miss out.

Has there been any news on when Best Buy is planning to put Celeste up for pre-order? I’m really getting tired of checking all the time to make sure I don’t miss out.
fwiw I don't think any of the best buy sales have sold out in any immediate fashion

fwiw I don't think any of the best buy sales have sold out in any immediate fashion
That is true, just a little nervous it might be a little different with Celeste due to it being a more popular indie game. Not to mention only get 5,000-8,000 copies.

LRG won't be releasing "The Simpsons Arcade" or "Turtles in Time" any time soon, either.
Yes, it's all speculation. But it's speculation that is backed up by plenty of logic. When a trademark is featured in a title, it has to be removed from the title before that title can be re-published with different licensing. And licensing can and frequently does change hands. The examples you cited of the Simpsons arcade and Turtles in Time got pulled for very specific reasons. Turtles in Time specifically got pulled because the license holder of the TMNT intellectual property changed hands. Nickelodeon purchased all licensing rights to the TMNT intellectual property and brand. They own all things TMNT now. The game got pulled from digital storefronts because its continued sale would have required a new licensing contract with the new license holder.

But such contracts can be made. That is why the resurrection of older digital titles are possible. It isn't insurmountable, it's just difficult. If LRG got Nickelodeon to say yes, a physical copy of Turtles in Time could happen. This is harder to make happen with major corporations because these deals usually involve very little profit for those corporations. They generally consider such deals to not be worth the trouble. And corporations often make other licensing deals that may currently be in effect, and could potentially block this sort of thing. If Nickelodeon has currently licensed the TMNT brand to a different developer, the specifics of that contract could easily block a re-release of an older digital title. This is the tangled web that you have to navigate when resurrecting older games. Take a look at the legal nightmare that is the "No One Lives Forever" franchise sometime.

And it is actually easy to point the Scott Pilgrim blame on Universal Studios. Scott Pilgrim is not a major multi-media franchise. It only got one comic series, one motion picture, and one video game. No one is currently working on a second Scott Pilgrim video game. No one is licensing the property out to other companies. Nothing is really happening with the property at all. Ubisoft was involved as a publisher, but they don't have any reason to block a physical re-release. And depending on how their contract was set-up, they may not even have the ability to block a re-release. They may have even tried to re-release the game in the past, Ubisoft is no stranger to porting their games to newer hardware. They like making money off of older titles just as much as the next game publisher. One of the other PS3 games that I would love to see hit LRG would be "Beyond Good and Evil," an Ubisoft title.

The original game developer has no reason to block a re-release, the associated pixel artist has no motivation, and the original writer/artist has no reason to block a re-release. It's just a matter of elimination. Universal Studios are the only associated party that has any reason to prevent it from happening. Ergo, they are the most likely target for blame. Their reasons may not be good, but they are still reasons. It may not even be a matter of pettiness. It may just be that they think the profits from the game wouldn't offset the legal cost of writing up the necessary contracts. (which is entirely possible) When you're dealing with a company that large, these things happen.

Anyone else playing Rabi-Ribi? My copy for vita came in the other week and I decided to plop it in and actually play it since people seemed to be asking about it here for what seemed like years. Yikes, it's dropping frames for me all over the place hard, especially during dialogue segments. Is this just a bad port or something? Wondering if PS4 version plays like this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the other PS3 games that I would love to see hit LRG would be "Beyond Good and Evil," an Ubisoft title.
Beyond Good and Evil 2 CE physical release with on-disc BG&E 1, plush Pey'j, ViewMaster™ camera replica, and inverted controller confirmed?

Anyone else playing Rabi-Ribi? My copy for vita came in the other week and I decided to plop it in and actually play it since people seemed to be asking about it here for what seemed like years. Yikes, it's dropping frames for me all over the place hard, especially during dialogue segments. Is this just a bad port or something? Wondering if PS4 version plays like this as well.
On pstv, turned on fps display through homebrew; was indeed seeing it drop from 60 to ~52 during static dialogue, with weird delays on starts of some lines. On leaving/entering dialogue, dropped to mid-30s or below for half a tick, tends to cause audio hiccups before fixing itself. Not a huge deal, but noticable.

Gameplay, however, seemed to be consistent 60fps throughout; only once thought I might have seen a brief hiccup to 50, and that was on a screen transition. Everything else was 100% steady. Only played through to first boss + experimenting with carrot bomb atm, mind, but seemed to perform well where it counted.

Bumped up the clock speed from 333/166MHz (cpu/gpu) to 500/333 (max preset) via homebrew to see if it improved things any; I personally thought it smoothed dialogue back-and-forth out a bit, but it was definitely still present - tended to stick around ~5-6 frames dropped, but I did see it still jump down to 38 on one occasion so my personal feel for it could just be placebo.
Also figured I'd mention that this game and this game only, in my experience, also leaves part of the overclock settings menu ghostin' in the very margins of the upper-left display for some reason?

Definitely no sure "fix" for it, but honestly, the presentation of the game's menus and dialogue is kinda jank as-is so it didn't put me off as much as it otherwise would have; dunno how performance compares to other platforms, but it wasn't bugging me too much.

https://twitter.com/limitedrungames/status/1096137792898375680
Man I am so glad I passed on this digital many times. I've had it in my cart and just couldn't pull the trigger.

Hopefully they will also release SAMURAI SHODOWN V SPECIAL and GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES.

The only SNK fighter I bought for vita was Last Blade 2. I heard today they have 22 vita games left to release with this announcement we now have 21 games to anticipate. Getting exciting.

Mmmmm... I'm not usually tempted by the collector's editions. I've passed on most of them. But that custom ShockBox is really turning my crank. A custom case that fits the PS4/Vita copy, and externally looks like the original AES cartridge box... that's some real good fan-service for collectors. Very true to the original Neo-Geo experience.

Mmmmm... I'm not usually tempted by the collector's editions. I've passed on most of them. But that custom ShockBox is really turning my crank. A custom case that fits the PS4/Vita copy, and externally looks like the original AES cartridge box... that's some real good fan-service for collectors. Very true to the original Neo-Geo experience.
Someone in the comments mentioned that the case is numbered 001. LRG said, “the shock boxes are numbered for their own series (for folks who just want to collect this and any of our *theoretical* future SNK releases).”

Basically, there will be more coming.

Pretty psyched for KOF 97. Anything Samurai Shodown related would be totally welcome, especially a physical port of the original game on Vita. Woooooo that would be nice. 

Anyone notice that the alterternative LRG cover for Windjammers is no longer showing on Best Buy’s site. It was there for a couple days but now I can’t find it.

Ugh.

I’m a massive fan of SNK. I prolly have 35 MVS carts (and of course, shockboxes for most of them).

That’s damn tempting...but I need to stay strong and stay out. I do not need to buy Neo Geo games again and again. :(

Ugh.

I’m a massive fan of SNK. I prolly have 35 MVS carts (and of course, shockboxes for most of them).

That’s damn tempting...but I need to stay strong and stay out. I do not need to buy Neo Geo games again and again. :(
Yes, you probably do need this.
d41wb.gif

These SNK games  should be in a compilation. Do the PS4 games have the same emulation as the PS2 compilation discs from a while back? How is the emulation in general?

Damn, I just saw Strangers Wrath for the PS3 is 4000 copies, holy hell, is that correct? That seems rather high, but maybe they know something I don't, I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Anyone notice that the alterternative LRG cover for Windjammers is no longer showing on Best Buy’s site. It was there for a couple days but now I can’t find it.
Yeah, the page is completely gone. I’m assuming they sold out, because they were only getting like 5,000 copies if I remember correctly.

I prolly have 35 MVS carts (and of course, shockboxes for most of them).
I think I would have preferred and AES style box or clamshell. The MVS boxes are so huuuuge.

If you think the replica box is neat, Bitmap Beureau is releasing working MVS and AES carts for Xeno Crisis. Now _that_ would have been a cool bonus.

A single KOF game on a ps4 disc or vita cart? What a waste, throw some more KOF games or a comp of SNK titles. Thee gonna charge $29/$29 I bet too!

Yeah, the page is completely gone. I’m assuming they sold out, because they were only getting like 5,000 copies if I remember correctly.
I highly doubt they sold out already. None of the previously released LRG games at BB has sold out yet, and some even had a similar print run (like Battle Chef Brigade, I believe).

Good luck to those of you going for the TJ&E CE's today. 2500 on Switch, 1500 on PS4... with a limit of 2 per person & the backers already had first pickings.

I checked 8 minutes into the sale. The switch CE was already sold out. There were 16 copies of the PS4 CE left. Hundreds of Oddworld were (and still are) available.

It looks like the Spelunky CE is still in stock for every platform. Given how fast the standard Vita copies sold I'm genuinely surprised that more people didn't get it. I get that the crowd is less and less enthralled by CEs, but the CE was about the price of a standard copy on eBay when I checked after last week's bloodbath.

It looks like the Spelunky CE is still in stock for every platform. Given how fast the standard Vita copies sold I'm genuinely surprised that more people didn't get it. I get that the crowd is less and less enthralled by CEs, but the CE was about the price of a standard copy on eBay when I checked after last week's bloodbath.
Right after situation like last week, people go nuts and pay any price(if any actually sold), which can be insane to say the least. Do you remember back when Night Trap and Wonder Boy CE sold out ASAP, and fans and prices went into a frenzy? Within a few months of them being delivered, and Ebay being flooded, you could barely get retail for either. If anyone is paying much for these, it won't last long, as I'm sure 90% will be online soon enough, which will kill any profits for all involved.

I checked 8 minutes into the sale. The switch CE was already sold out. There were 16 copies of the PS4 CE left. Hundreds of Oddworld were (and still are) available.
I don't think theres any demand for a Collector's PS3 game, unfortunately. Especially when there's better ports out there.

I was surprised TJ&E switch collectors lasted around 5 minutes. I got my copy, but I expected it to be sold out in the usual 2 minutes.

bread's done
Back