Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Hopefully BestBuy get's River City Girls. I'll wait till near the end of the preorder window in case BB gets it. I wish I had done that with Golf Story since the already manufactured copies took nearly 2 months before they started showing up and they ended up in Best Buy about the same time as my copy showed up. The only reason I didn't cancel was it was early days of the BB deal and their scare tactics that it would be impossible to get a copy made me fearful of missing out. Now I know better.
don't forget they also offered a discount code if you kept your golf story order with LRG witch ended up being only $3. I wish I canceled my order I would have gotten a better discount with my best buy GCU and I wouldn't have had to wait almost 2 month after best buy got the game to get my copy from LRG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think every Metal Slug port outside of the original Xbox version had unlimited continues. I dunno how you can consider those small gripes. The input lag was horrendous to the point where you could feel the delay everytime you pressed a button and again, you couldn't even tell if you were damaging a boss because the hit sounds were removed.
Horrendous? Strongly diagree. The Anthology wasn't perfect but I think your comments are incorrect and at the very least, grossly exaggerate the problem.

That Anthology remains the best way to experience all the MS games in a tight package with some cool extras.

In regards to LRG's return policy. This is why I strongly advise whenever buying something from a retailer you're not as familiar with and that isn't as large as target or BB or Walmart to ALWAYS read their shipping and returns/exchanges policy. If they don't have one that's can be readily found, email them for it. So that you know what you're getting into and adjust your expectations accordingly.

In regards to LRG's return policy. This is why I strongly advise whenever buying something from a retailer you're not as familiar with and that isn't as large as target or BB or Walmart to ALWAYS read their shipping and returns/exchanges policy. If they don't have one that's can be readily found, email them for it. So that you know what you're getting into and adjust your expectations accordingly.
The product page says that all sales are considered final...

The product page says that all sales are considered final...
Their return policy is as follows:

"You may ask for a return or exchange within 30 days of delivery. Returns are subject to a 15% re-stocking fee and can only be processed for sealed items."

The "subject to" portion of the policy implies that the fee does not always have to be applied, and is at the discretion of the company.

My point isn't so much about the cost of the restocking fee (which ends up being ~$6), it's more so the principle of the matter. I just think that customer loyalty and satisfaction should be worth more than that.

I've only had one other issue in the past several years that needed a cancellation, and they helped correct my issue, no questions asked. Apparently, they've gotten a lot stricter over the years...

“Unfortunately, we are no longer doing combines for orders. This program stopped as of March 28, 2019.
We have partnered with MyUS to make shipping smoother and easier, while still offering savings on
shipping.“

No more combined shipping from LRG. Asked for it for 2 Metal Slug 3 orders I made about a minute apart (standard Vita & standard PS4).

“Unfortunately, we are no longer doing combines for orders. This program stopped as of March 28, 2019.
We have partnered with MyUS to make shipping smoother and easier, while still offering savings on
shipping.“

No more combined shipping from LRG. Asked for it for 2 Metal Slug 3 orders I made about a minute apart (standard Vita & standard PS4).
Welp this solidifies my decision to wait for BBY releases of Timespinner and Turok. I can't imagine the cover art differing enough to make paying a shipping premium worth it.

Welp this solidifies my decision to wait for BBY releases of Timespinner and Turok. I can't imagine the cover art differing enough to make paying a shipping premium worth it.
How would combined orders solidify your decision? You’ll be able to order them all (and Rogue Legacy) on Friday.

Horrendous? Strongly diagree. The Anthology wasn't perfect but I think your comments are incorrect and at the very least, grossly exaggerate the problem.

That Anthology remains the best way to experience all the MS games in a tight package with some cool extras.
I have MS Anthology on Wii, PS2, and PSP. Any imperfections aside, I agree that MS Anthology is a nice package of games. The main gripe I have is that the Wii version has trash control options. The PS2 version is pretty great, and the PSP version is one of my favorite PSP games.

I have MS Anthology on Wii, PS2, and PSP. Any imperfections aside, I agree that MS Anthology is a nice package of games. The main gripe I have is that the Wii version has trash control options. The PS2 version is pretty great, and the PSP version is one of my favorite PSP games.
I have the Wii version as well and it's virtually unplayable. It doesn't support the classic controller; to throw a bomb you need to shake the Wiimote. Forget any precision movements, bombs are effectively useless. I can't imagine it was play tested with the controls as it shipped.

I have the Wii version as well and it's virtually unplayable. It doesn't support the classic controller; to throw a bomb you need to shake the Wiimote. Forget any precision movements, bombs are effectively useless. I can't imagine it was play tested with the controls as it shipped.
Unless a game is exclusive to the Wii, I generally looked to buy it elsewhere. Personally hated the wiimote control scheme, and always looked for games that offered classic/gamecube controller support.

Played the Anthology on PS2 and I found it to be great arcade fun!

The PSP is the only version I ever owned, and I always found it to be a sound experience, no complaints. Most games of this type can have issues, due to emulation, menus, options, etc., but besides the load times, I always found it a solid effort(nothing great, but nothing terrible).

Unless a game is exclusive to the Wii, I generally looked to buy it elsewhere. Personally hated the wiimote control scheme, and always looked for games that offered classic/gamecube controller support.

Played the Anthology on PS2 and I found it to be great arcade fun!
Yep, motion controls was the bane of my existence, and the main reason my Wii sat un-played most of the time. The Wii may be one of the most successful systems of all time, but for me, it was one of the worst, and the forced motion controls is the reason why, fuck ing GARBAGE!

Doesn't that say no more combined shipping, or am I reading it wrong (a strong possibility because I'm tired as hell)?
They used to let you combine shipping for separate orders. In the example above, he ordered a Vita copy in one order and a PS4 copy in another order. For a small fee they would combine those orders into one package and refund your shipping for a small fee. It was mostly beneficial for international orders where it’s expensive to ship ($15 for some items).

This is the program they’ve stopped. I believe it was a very manual process. When shipping an order that was combined, they would have to put aside all the items until the last of the items were ready to be shipped.

They used to let you combine shipping for separate orders. In the example above, he ordered a Vita copy in one order and a PS4 copy in another order. For a small fee they would combine those orders into one package and refund your shipping for a small fee. It was mostly beneficial for international orders where it’s expensive to ship ($15 for some items).

This is the program they’ve stopped. I believe it was a very manual process. When shipping an order that was combined, they would have to put aside all the items until the last of the items were ready to be shipped.
Ahhh gotcha, thanks for the clarification. That wouldn't effect me then but it does suck for those who used that option.

Looking at the contents... why do you want those versions? The extras seem kind of ... well... I just don't get the appeal.
I just took a look and you're kinda right, those metal N64 carts seem a bit strange. I was thinking something more along the lines of the Yooka Laylee LE which I'm still salty about missing.

That Turok bundle looks amazing but I already bought the games on Xbox One and really don't need to spend $110 on something I really won't play. If only LR would stuff overstock to reach deep discounts!

Listen, I'm going to be very clear about this. If you like Metal Slug Anthology, fine. I got no problem with that. But the input lag (especially on the ps4 port) is absolutely horrendous, ranging from half a second to a full second to respond, in a twitch action shooter. That's not even my opinion, that is legitimately how the port runs.

I can’t believe we’re discussing buying 100$ Turok physical reruns. Only gained traction the first time because there was nothing else to play on N64. Junk.

If that's the case, why weren't Hexen64 and Dark Rift million sellers?

Turok 1 & 2 are great games, Turok 2 in particular is amazing. Acclaim put alot of craft and care in these games and still shows, 20+ years later in it's design.

But yeah, I don't wanna pay $100 for them either. 

"THerE wAs NOthInG eLSe tO pLAy"

Literally heavy hitters on that system and the first smash. By you logic, Nintendo probably shouldn't have ported Zelda OoT and MM to the 3DS physically because there's no way that would sel- oh wait

The real junk is making a blanket statement when it seems you've never touched a n64.

I will agree $100+ for the turok games are too much though.

For better or for worse, my Switch is just a first-party Nintendo machine. I still prefer the PS4/Vita and the accompanying ecosystem, and I have more than enough games to keep me busy for years to come I feel. Maybe it's just collector's fatigue after the Vita turned into such a shitshow, but the only LRG Switch title I've purchased is Golf Story and I have ~10 games for it total. It'd take something really special and exclusive to get me to buy another LRG Switch game.

All that said, I do feel like Turok is one of the more hyped titles they've put out. Between the volume of  discussions and questions I've seen on it, it's clear there's a lot of interest. I'd be surprised if some of the appeal wasn't nostalgia goggles, but if people are happy or excited for the release then I'm not going to start telling them they're wrong. Not my cup of tea, but I think that says more about my tastes than the quality of the game.

The combo pack prices are something else, but I guess that's the way we're all headed now with the THQ $400 CEs that popped up a few days ago as well. I also think there's more than a little bit of fair criticism for splitting this into two releases (a la Outcast) since LRG and others have affirmed you can put multiple games on a single Switch cart and the cart size limitations aren't an issue any longer.

For better or for worse, my Switch is just a first-party Nintendo machine. I still prefer the PS4/Vita and the accompanying ecosystem, and I have more than enough games to keep me busy for years to come I feel. Maybe it's just collector's fatigue after the Vita turned into such a shitshow, but the only LRG Switch title I've purchased is Golf Story and I have ~10 games for it total. It'd take something really special and exclusive to get me to buy another LRG Switch game.
I'm the same way. My switch is for first party Nintendo games only. Only non first party games I own on it is golf story and danmaku. But switch has the weakest hardware, worst online experience, and so on. so I only use it for first party exclusives. I won't ever buy a cross platform game on it.

My ps4 and PC are what I use for 95% of my gaming and my switch comes in when I feel like Mario or zelda.

I like playing indie games on the Switch such as Dead Cells and Slay the Spire (both highly recommended on the Switch). I do prefer the PS4 for multi platform titles because it's a more powerful system, although some like Dragon Quest Builders 2 I choose the Switch because I prefer that portable (though there is slowdown at times). Also VNs are highly preferred on the Switch too. Everything else is PC and PS4.

The Switch is my go to for Indie games, too--especially once I got one of those D pad joycon's from Hori. I just don't really want to play smaller indie games on my TV or at my PC. But with the Switch, unlike the Vita, I still retain the ability to do that--with the same game and save file--if I want to. 

"THerE wAs NOthInG eLSe tO pLAy"

Literally heavy hitters on that system and the first smash. By you logic, Nintendo probably shouldn't have ported Zelda OoT and MM to the 3DS physically because there's no way that would sel- oh wait

The real junk is making a blanket statement when it seems you've never touched a n64.

I will agree $100+ for the turok games are too much though.
Bought N64 on launch day. Owned most of the titles at one point or another. Turok was overly lukewarm in reception by the big players, such as EGM when it released. I recall EGM giving it like a 6.5 and game pro was trying to sell the shit out of it for years- gave it 100% lol. I worked at Toys r Us when the game finally released after over a year of hype. We had 12-13 total N64 titles in Feb 2017 so it sold by default. Star Wars came out in December 1996 and it was impossible to find. Two months later Mario Kart then Turok a week or two after.

So ya, there was not much else to play on N64 and that absolutely allowed Turok to fill a void. Being almost 20 at the time maybe part of the reason it failed to impress me. I absolutely agree with 6.5/10 or so.

Turok wasn't good.  I know because I played it back in 1997 when N64 was all the rage and it was a new release.   I remember it being the very first game where I thought to myself  "jeez this game is beyond needing a minimap/compass" as we found ourselves walking in circles through fog while looking for the next objective. 

Bought N64 on launch day. Owned most of the titles at one point or another. Turok was overly lukewarm in reception by the big players, such as EGM when it released. I recall EGM giving it like a 6.5 and game pro was trying to sell the shit out of it for years- gave it 100% lol. I worked at Toys r Us when the game finally released after over a year of hype. We had 12-13 total N64 titles in Feb 2017 so it sold by default. Star Wars came out in December 1996 and it was impossible to find. Two months later Mario Kart then Turok a week or two after.

So ya, there was not much else to play on N64 and that absolutely allowed Turok to fill a void.
Yep, I, too, remember the huuuge thirst for Turok when it first came out. Because people were craving a new type of 3D shooter game on the system.

Turok wasn't good. I know because I played it back in 1997 when N64 was all the rage and it was a new release. I remember it being the very first game where I thought to myself "jeez this game is beyond needing a minimap/compass" as we found ourselves walking in circles through fog while looking for the next objective.
Definitely this. The game was hard as hell to navigate and really wasn't that good. I'm mostly interested for the sake of nostalgia because it was one of the first games I had on the 64. Maybe I'd suck at it less now that I have more gaming experience haha

Turok wasn't good. I know because I played it back in 1997 when N64 was all the rage and it was a new release. I remember it being the very first game where I thought to myself "jeez this game is beyond needing a minimap/compass" as we found ourselves walking in circles through fog while looking for the next objective.
I actually liked it for the 1st couple of stages then I got incredibly bored and used cheat codes to get to the main bosses with all the weapons and that was were I spent most of my time in the game. Went to other stages but your right as there was way too many times I was running around in a circle because it either too dark or foggy to see where I was going.

Totally agree with this. Plus at that time I had a PC capable of playing the current FPS's. People were hyped for Turok, I was hyped for Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight. I did find GoldenEye pretty enjoyable, but even that was a huge step down from where we were with pc FPS's. Especially when a mouse & keyboard was just much more intuitive than a controller. Heck 1997 was also Redneck Rampage, Quake 2, & Outlaws. All of those made Turok seem a bit lazy with the heavy fog and lack of a map... so I never got bit by the hype when I played it in a kiosk at Circuit City.

The Switch is my go to for Indie games, too--especially once I got one of those D pad joycon's from Hori.
Trust me on this one. Forget the Hori joycon. Pick up an 8bitdo controller. Just about ANY 8bitdo controller. All of their recent models have some of the best D-pads in the business, and all of them have the D-pads prominently placed in the most comfortable positions. And all of their recent models also pair natively with the Switch. Their more advanced model controllers even feature built-in motion controls, so you can still play some of the more advanced Switch titles without losing motion-control-assisted aiming. They just came out with a Pro+ model controller that has "handles" for better ergonomics and legit analog triggers.

I personally really like playing indie games on my Switch with the SN30 and the M30. I've recently been playing through the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star with my M30. Very authentic.

For better or for worse, my Switch is just a first-party Nintendo machine. I still prefer the PS4/Vita and the accompanying ecosystem, and I have more than enough games to keep me busy for years to come I feel.
I'm the same way. My switch is for first party Nintendo games only. Only non first party games I own on it is golf story and danmaku. But switch has the weakest hardware, worst online experience, and so on. so I only use it for first party exclusives. I won't ever buy a cross platform game on it.

My ps4 and PC are what I use for 95% of my gaming and my switch comes in when I feel like Mario or zelda.
I agree with pretty much all of this, and given the choice I tend to go for PS4 versions of games. With all the hype the Switch gets, and owning one myself, I'm still not that into it. It doesn't really feel that much different from the Wii U to me, in that it's mainly the first-party Nintendo titles on it that interest me. Except, it loses some of the Wii U's ingenuity and fun gimmicks (stuff like Nintendo Land was super fun with 5 people and asymmetrical gameplay), and the 3DS and Vita are still my go-to portables since I feel like the Switch is a bit too big to be a "true" portable, the battery life doesn't compare at all, and lack of a real D-pad makes a lot of my favorite genres way more of a pain to play than they should be. That leaves me using it almost exclusively docked, where as mentioned, compared to the PS4 it's less powerful, with worse online functionality and digital ecosystem, feels a lot more bare-bones, missing stuff like trophies, and I have to buy a separate $70 controller just to have a decent D-pad option.

I like the idea of a system being able to be both a home console and portable, but it feels to me like they had to make too many compromises to both aspects, so it doesn't really do either as well as it should. I preferred how the GBA did it, where it was a dedicated portable, and later the Game Boy Player came out for like $50 that you could just put the games into if you wanted to play on the big screen. Or more recently, the Playstation TV, if that didn't have all the memory card and compatibility restrictions.

So ya, there was not much else to play on N64 and that absolutely allowed Turok to fill a void. Being almost 20 at the time maybe part of the reason it failed to impress me. I absolutely agree with 6.5/10 or so.
Also agreed. Even when it was first released Turok was silly fun (turning on cheat codes to access all the ridiculous weapons and exploding people into orbit was always a good time), but as an actual game I was never impressed much by it either. The whole "dinosaur hunting" thing didn't come into play much aside from shooting some raptors here and there, and the human enemies were way more common, and boring. Playing the remaster more recently on PC, and making an attempt to actually complete the game, it feels a lot more like Doom and Quake than I remember, with the speed of the game and focus on item pickups and building an arsenal, and learning which weapons to use in various situations. Which might be appropriate given the timeframe, but it's missing a lot of the clever level design, the environments are extremely bland and repetitive, enemies and bosses aren't really fun to fight, and the entire game is just one massive key hunt, with some being well-hidden despite being needed to progress. Progression mainly being, now find more keys in this slightly different-looking jungle/temple/ruins, for pretty much the whole game.I wouldn't go so far as to call it terrible, and being the first 3D shooter on the N64 market gives it some distinction, but it's still just pretty average.

Turok 2 I had a lot more fun with back on the original N64, with the even better weapons (Cerebral Bore!) and more varied, distinctive levels to explore and interesting enemies to fight. Although I'm not sure how I managed to stomach it, given how nearly unplayable it was due to the atrocious framerate. I guess I had become accustomed to it from too many 4-player Goldeneye matches with proximity mines or something. The remaster makes it feel like a completely different game with how smooth it is, so it's interesting to me to see the game as it always should've been. The most common complaint is the levels being too large for their own good, with a lot of pointless wandering and backtracking for that one switch or whatever you needed to hit in order to move forward. I haven't gotten far enough yet to judge that complaint on my own yet, but critical objectives and switches being highlighted when you're near them in the remaster feels like it goes a long way towards fixing that problem.

I don't remember where, but recently I read someone's comment that Turok 2, and to a lesser extent 1, are sort of forerunners to the Metroid Prime series, with the persistent world and ability to backtrack, platforming aspects, and also just as sort of a general feel. Talent from Turok dev Iguana being part of Retro Studios further cements that connection. It never really occurred to me to compare the two series before, but I found that interesting and it sort of makes me consider Turok in a different light.

I remember buying fukun Wayne Gretzky hockey it was so dry on the N64 front.
Yeah, I remember renting that a couple times, even as someone who has absolutely zero interest in hockey. But hey, it was like the NBA Jam of hockey, and it was the first 4-player game on the N64, so there was fun to be had with it! Finally putting those extra 2 controller ports to use, and being able to have 4 people all playing something together besides Bomberman was huge at the time! Of course everyone was just waiting for Mario Kart 64, but still.

Trust me on this one. Forget the Hori joycon. Pick up an 8bitdo controller. Just about ANY 8bitdo controller. All of their recent models have some of the best D-pads in the business, and all of them have the D-pads prominently placed in the most comfortable positions. And all of their recent models also pair natively with the Switch. Their more advanced model controllers even feature built-in motion controls, so you can still play some of the more advanced Switch titles without losing motion-control-assisted aiming. They just came out with a Pro+ model controller that has "handles" for better ergonomics and legit analog triggers.

I personally really like playing indie games on my Switch with the SN30 and the M30. I've recently been playing through the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star with my M30. Very authentic.
I have 3 different 8bitdo controllers; I love what that company puts out! Like I said in the rest of my post, though, I don't really want to play most indie games on my TV or PC setup, so I play them primarily in handheld mode. Until 8bitdo releases a joycon set, those controllers aren't really useful for handheld mode haha. When I do decide that I want to fiddle around with one of those on the TV for a little while, then 8bitdo is totally the way to go!

Yeah the N64 droughts were awful. Owning just Mario 64 for months wasn't a good time. Renting garbage like Shadows of the Empire, Cruis'n USA(shit port), Wayne Gretzky(not bad), Blast Corps(great game), Killer Instinct Gold(good) etc. RARE carried the N64. Like some have said Turok 2 was unplayable. I remember getting to the 2nd level and thinking holy shit. Had to be 5 to 10 fps with expansion pack. 

Goemon's Great Adventure is easily one of my favorite N64 games. Miss that series. 

Turok sold well on the N64 because it was the first time people saw 3D dinosaurs in games and it was so cool, especially since Jurassic Park was released just a few yrs ago. At least that's what I tell myself as to why Turok was as popular as it was.:p

I still thought it was a cool game to play back in the day out of circumstance (3D in games hitting the mainstream and all).

I actually enjoyed shadows of the empire. It just took a few months to actually find one because everyone with an N64 wanted it for Christmas.

yea Turok was mediocre, it just had hype and people thought it was going to be awesome cause of dinosaurs.
I didn't own it but my friends with 64 did and we'd play death match.. meh. They also seemed kinda whatever about Turok once they owned it. Any time we played it we quickly went to goldeneye

bread's done
Back