Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I would guess this is their way of testing the waters for better and more sought after titles like Snatcher, which I figured was in the works since they offered the OST last year on cassette. There's a lot of Working Designs titles that would do well even as "re-prints" due to the crazy value of most of the decent games on the secondary market.

I sold my collection ages ago, especially since I can play these games almost anywhere, even on my 3DS(currently playing Snatcher there), I don't have much need for this. Once the games I owned started to rise in value, I never touched them anyways, as emulation worked fine, and kept me from degrading my physical copies. But I could certainly see certain titles doing really well, especially if they offer CE with new and unique items. LRG seems all about the CE most days, so repacking these games with cheap junk, just makes them more funds in the end, and I'm sure most will eat this shit up!

Just when I thought this couldn't get any stupider. 

I hate my generation.  They'll pay anything for nostalgia. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Never caught that before. Here's what doug said in this thread:

Granted that was 2018... but they were proud they were manufacturing in the usa and not china and let that be a negative for buying from Play-Asia. In the end, they are no better. I never caught the post or quote or whatever where they came out and said they changed their minds and are pushing content to china. So it was news to me.
I'm going to be honest, my only dog in this fight is that there are plenty of reasonable things to take umbrage with when it comes to how they run their business. Painting things in an unnecessary light or tying to find gotchas/outings, though? It's all manufactured drama and what's the end-goal? To escalate yourself into eventually calling them cucks? ;)

Kidding aside, I don't see anything they've ever said as being inherently negative towards producing in China (with the exception of a remark here or there about quality at times, which, well, yeah), and that quote is no exception. Promoting positivity over producing something locally is just simple PR chaff, as it's a great boast to slap on the tin when you can, and it's up there with "We pay livable wages and don't outsource our labor!" (which they also boast about). But, all that being said, I don't think pushing that narrative says "We'll never produce anything in China. Ever." either, especially as some components are only manufactured there (like some of the Steelbooks they use). They also partner with Fangamer a lot, who also sources items from China, so there's that as well.

Here are a couple public comments from a cursory Google search, the second thread has a comment from Josh about how some Steelbooks are only manufactured in China:
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1080249082529153024
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1144028845718343680

Last edited by a moderator:
In my list, there are no pros for this specific release. I love point and click games including the LucasArts classics, but I have no use for one of the worst ports of this specific game as I'd never play (no plans to ever buy a sega cd) let alone display it (the long box is UGLY). The CE is overpriced for mostly paper products.

For those that want this... cool, glad you are happy with the release. If I were to replay it I'd probably just use scummvm and probably just do it on the SNES classic or PC.
When they announced these LucasArts re-releases, I was pretty excited mainly for a nice premium version of the Monkey Island games. This sure isn't what I was expecting. For me, I would have been happy with a higher quality reissue of the original PC boxed release. Straight up throwing in the same stuff as the Star Wars releases, though, AND going with the Sega CD version? I don't know why I didn't see it coming. I really thought these releases were targeting nostalgia, yet they sacrifice most of what makes up said nostalgia. Some screenshots/artwork on the back of these cases wouldn't hurt, for sure.

"The Secret of Monkey Island" is one of my favorite games ever so it is tough to pass up anything Monkey Island related.... A PC version is coming out later in the year. I wonder if there is any chance their PC releases will follow a different design. The "Thimbleweed Park" CE design (which came from FanGamer, I believe) is more along the lines of what I was hoping for with these...

By the way, if anyone cares about the "Forgotten Anne" CE, I had asked on twitter about the dimensions/page count of the art book.  It's 5"x7" and 140 pages.   The art book is what really had me considering it.  I'm not really interested in the rest of the contents and am not looking for another large-ish box on the shelf (although, I have a feeling it is going to be smaller than it looks).   A little 5"x7" art book is a tough sell.   I think that is even smaller than the art books included with the NIS CEs.  Still debating it, but I will be surprised if I can convince myself to pull the trigger.  

Those are the blind boxes that caused delays from the New Year I'm guessing? Well that's good, was wondering if anyone saw any updates on those.
Did the Vita blind boxes ever come in? At this point it’s been nearly 2 months which is truly crazy for something they had on hand. I know I shouldn’t be surprised but still...

I would definitely be down for some Working Designs Sega CD re-releases.  Snatcher too, of course.  

Not interested in Monkey Island though.

Be warned with Blasphemous. I just lost 16.5 hours and a 97% complete save file due to a very well known lost upgrades glitch in the game. From my research, there is no way to fix it. It appears that this can be an issue on Switch and PC; I have no idea about PS4, but it stands to reason that it has the issue, too. There are some other really bad glitches that I didn't get, but this one alone ruined my save file and completely soured the game for me. Consider playing something else until the new PC patch makes its way to console, and then we have to hope that it fixed it. 

2ef8f7a093b1fc53e9b664e637d3c60f.jpg

Be warned with Blasphemous. I just lost 16.5 hours and a 97% complete save file due to a very well known lost upgrades glitch in the game. From my research, there is no way to fix it. It appears that this can be an issue on Switch and PC; I have no idea about PS4, but it stands to reason that it has the issue, too. There are some other really bad glitches that I didn't get, but this one alone ruined my save file and completely soured the game for me. Consider playing something else until the new PC patch makes its way to console, and then we have to hope that it fixed it.
Thanks fur the heads-up. I was excited to get my shipping notification for my ps4 copy, but now I'll wait and see if they put out a patch immediately.

Is this the kind of thing that might be preventable with frequent save-file uploads to the cloud? I was preparing to start this on PS4 with the intention of uploading to PS+ before or after each session, but if you're screwed no matter what in that situation, I might wait.

Is this the kind of thing that might be preventable with frequent save-file uploads to the cloud? I was preparing to start this on PS4 with the intention of uploading to PS+ before or after each session, but if you're screwed no matter what in that situation, I might wait.
If you turned off auto back up and manually backed your save up after every time you played, then you'd only lose however much you played since the last backup. That's not a very fun way to play a game, but it is a work around.

The fact that the collectors editions of the Sega CD games don't include the long boxes is both perplexing and stupid. The long boxes are the best part of those games and those systems.

My guess is that it'll be $50 or $60 after LRG tax

Yikes. Guess I'll see check out the digital prices if it's true but I know some of those Japanese games are a lot for the digital also.

They looked cool though.
The games appear to be $39.99 each digitally from what I looked up so I think $59.99 would be a minimum price. A couple things to keep in mind are that multi game bundles usually have some sort of discount when sold at retail and that LRG is technically not the publisher of the games (since they are part of the distribution line). That said, I'm going to guess $59.99 will be the price for the multi game cart.

I try to be open minded and "to each his own" on everything in life... but I'd love to take a profile and interview the top 10 people who are most excited for "nurse love addiction".

Wouldn't Gaijinworks own the rights to those now?
It's possible that they didn't "own" the rights to them in the first place. Working Designs was simply the U.S. licensee and publisher of those games. They helped to localize them, but they weren't the original developers. All of the games they brought over here were Japanese releases from Japanese developers. It's likely that the actual ownership is still in the hands of the original Japanese developers.

It's possible that they didn't "own" the rights to them in the first place. Working Designs was simply the U.S. licensee and publisher of those games. They helped to localize them, but they weren't the original developers. All of the games they brought over here were Japanese releases from Japanese developers. It's likely that the actual ownership is still in the hands of the original Japanese developers.
Although they do own the copyright rights to the English translation for at least Popful Mail according to the back of the game box.

Although they do own the copyright rights to the English translation for at least Popful Mail according to the back of the game box.
True. But what has been localized once can be localized again. You don't have to use the exact same translation, and the "art" of localization is considerably more refined these days. There are options. I'm certain a company like 8-4 Play would be quite happy to take a crack at some of those titles. Or perhaps they could simply convince GaijinWorks to join in on the fun. Given the lowered risk and effort that a company like GaijinWorks would need to put in, it might not be a difficult sell to have them participate. Might not be necessary to circumvent them at all.

And of course, Snatcher is entirely owned by Konami, so there is no conflict there. You would just need Konami themselves to sign off on it.

Three years ago, pitching a line of Sega-CD reprints would have been a hard sell. But now, things have changed. LRG has an entire stable of releases under their belt, and a huge amount of gathered metrics to back up any such pitch they made.

Any company is going to be leery of financial risk, especially for a project like this. No one wants to get stuck holding the bag if a physical product doesn't sell out, and you've got a bunch of excess stock lying around gathering dust. It's the ever-present danger of dappling in physical media. But LRG's business model helps to mitigate that risk, and they have the numbers and practical examples to back that up. They even have competitors now, who are successfully employing the same approach.

At that point, the question isn't whether or not it can turn a profit. It's simply if the initial investment is worth the potential brand growth and goodwill. No one is making bank off of these re-prints. Physical media is a low-margin business to begin with. Even with mitigated risk, no one is going to be expecting high profits. So the real appeal for most developers is brand growth, prestige, and community goodwill. Collectors showing off their physical copies on social media, or using them to do Let's-Plays on video streaming sites is good publicity. A physical release is a good opportunity to re-promote your title, possibly years after it already released. Gets it back in the spot-light, and gets people talking about it again. That can be worth the trouble of going through a company like LRG for a physical release.

I'd go HARD on any Working Designs re-release. I'm well beyond requiring the original cases. I can leave that to the diehards.
I got originals of a handful of semi-rare/expensive Sega CD games and I'd definitely buy some reprints, just to see how they compare. Popful Mail was a damn fun game too, deserves more love.

I'm honestly curious though, we see Repo releases of games for the NES/SNES- what's stopping LRG or some other company from taking a game and re-releasing it? I know most repos are fan made games or versions of existing games with fan customizations but I think some are flat-out just the Japanese version with English translations- like Secret of Mana 2 on the SNES.

If LRG talks to Konami for anything, it should be about the three digital-only PS4 compilations they recently released.

But Snatcher would be incredible nonetheless.

what's stopping LRG or some other company from taking a game and re-releasing it?
Legal impediments. Licensing. That's pretty much the only obstacle. And these days, it's barely an obstacle. Capcom themselves have been making "official" repro cartridges over the past few years, and selling them for frankly obscene prices.

Re-releases of classic disc games for the Sega CD, Saturn, Playstation, etc.. are just a matter of a few signed contracts. And it's not just a LRG thing. Any of the up-and-coming indie physical game publishers could do it. Most of those classic disc systems have little to no DRM built into their discs. Standard pressed CDs would work just fine. All you have to do is get the necessary permissions from the people who own the legal rights. You most likely also have to pay those people, everyone involved is going to want a cut. When money is changing hands, the people who own the rights are going to want their cut. But yeah, it's really just a matter of business negotiations.

bread's done
Back