Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
They won't be able to do that without assistance from Sony or Sega.
(glances over at the rather large number of official PS4-released LRG titles on his shelf)

Yeah...that's not really a problem. Official assistance from companies like Sony and Sega is a thing that can be had. Especially for a mini-publisher who already has a working relationship with some of those companies. Saturn reprints would be the more daunting proposition, given the marginal interest in the system to begin with. But original PS1 games would be a relatively easy proposition.

Also, the "protection" for the PS1 that you mention was a measure taken to lock out burned discs. Pressed discs with the correct region mark in the correct location on the disc would work just fine. It is entirely possible to press new PS1 discs that conform to Sony's standards without any exotic changes to the production line. This would also insure that the discs in question were locked to a particular region, but that was always going to be the case with an official release for the PS1.

(glances over at the rather large number of official PS4-released LRG titles on his shelf)

Yeah...that's not really a problem. Official assistance from companies like Sony and Sega is a thing that can be had. Especially for a mini-publisher who already has a working relationship with some of those companies. Saturn reprints would be the more daunting proposition, given the marginal interest in the system to begin with. But original PS1 games would be a relatively easy proposition.

Also, the "protection" for the PS1 that you mention was a measure taken to lock out burned discs. Pressed discs with the correct region mark in the correct location on the disc would work just fine. It is entirely possible to press new PS1 discs that conform to Sony's standards without any exotic changes to the production line. This would also insure that the discs in question were locked to a particular region, but that was always going to be the case with an official release for the PS1.
The PS4 games LRG paid Sony for the license fees. Pressed disc were very common in Asia and they won't work on unmodded hardware. Only way for this to work is for LRG to go to Sony to reprint the PS1 games. Sony wont be allow LRG to print their own PS1 games. Not sure if Sony is still printing them in 2020.

Edit: more on PS1 disc. Only Sony can bypass copy protection.

https://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_cd_info.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: more on PS1 disc. Only Sony can bypass copy protection.
Not true. And specifically, it states this in the very article you linked. That console copy article specifically states what is needed to bypass copy protection in CD burning. Both the copy protection schemes that it mentions don't apply to standard pressed discs. The bad blocks it mentions aren't possible with regular commercial CD burners. But they are quite easy for a standard pressed disc. The Country-Code Lockout (which I had already mentioned) is not possible with most CD burners, but is also no real issue with a pressed disc. The "copy-protection" for the PS1 is designed to prevent casual CD-burning. But it can easily be replicated for anyone mass-producing pressed discs.

If your only objective was producing discs that run on a PS1, you could do this fairly easily through a mass CD printing. (not a cheap approach, of course, you would want to make sure of your code first) You would not need Sony's approval or cooperation.

Of course, if you wanted to advertise your game as an official PS1 title, you would very much need Sony's approval and involvement. You can't get a Playstation logo anywhere near that thing without Sony's go-ahead. But the "copy-protection" of the original PS1 is not nearly as big of an impediment as you seem to think. Certainly not for a commercial distributor who already has experience with large-scale production.

Got my Blazing Chrome Collectors Edition today. Wasn’t really impressed with the mockup when the preorder went live but in person the doopy VHS aesthetics actually come together. Not bad at all.

I doubt any factory is actively set up to print ps1 and Saturn games with the required protection

You sure? Square regularly sells brand new sealed copies of their most popular ps1 games. I doubt their overstock is so deep that they are still unloading it 20 years later.

I doubt any factory is actively set up to print ps1 and Saturn games with the required protection
If you'd been following the discussion in a bit more detail, you would know that the "required protection" is just specific data being inserted at specific sectors of the discs. As such, any standard CD factory can print discs that are compatible with the PS1.

What is unlikely is the black-bottom coating that was common on original PS1 discs. That won't be happening. But that was just a peculiarity of Sony's disc production, to set their PS1 discs apart. It was never part of any sort of protection.

Saturn discs may be a different story. I'm not as familiar with the copy protection scheme Sega used for the Saturn. But for PS1, there are no real technical problems with new disc pressings.

If you'd been following the discussion in a bit more detail, you would know that the "required protection" is just specific data being inserted at specific sectors of the discs. As such, any standard CD factory can print discs that are compatible with the PS1.

What is unlikely is the black-bottom coating that was common on original PS1 discs. That won't be happening. But that was just a peculiarity of Sony's disc production, to set their PS1 discs apart. It was never part of any sort of protection.

Saturn discs may be a different story. I'm not as familiar with the copy protection scheme Sega used for the Saturn. But for PS1, there are no real technical problems with new disc pressings.
This is all just talk. Please show actual evidence of this pressed disc that works on an unmodded PS1. Because if this is a thing you will see bootleg PS1 games all over ebay like bootleg N64 cart from China.

I wonder what the deal is with Blasphemous at Best Buy.  LRG has been shipping the standard version haven't they?  No pre-order up at BestBuy.com yet, unless this is one of those LRG games that just shows up in stores before being put up on BestBuy.com.   Or it's the first where Best Buy exercised that right to not proceed that the product listings always threaten us with....

Because if this is a thing you will see bootleg PS1 games all over ebay like bootleg N64 cart from China.
I mentioned this already. Black discs. Sony intentionally used black plastic to set their discs apart from standard CDs. The purpose of this wasn't as a security precaution. The black nature of the plastic doesn't block anything or change how the discs run. All it does is immediately set the discs apart visually. You can't sell pressed discs as bootleg PS1 games, because it would be immediately obvious that they weren't original PS1 titles without the black plastic. No collector could ever be fooled by a pressed disc that didn't feature that distinct black disc.

But if you were talking about a LRG-themed repro, not having the black plastic wouldn't be a problem. LRG printings aren't designed to replicate the original release, but rather be new releases with the LRG-specific branding. They use different art and logos, and are immediately distinct from the original anyway. As a collectible, they would be desirable without attempting to be a quasi-bootleg.

Friend I'm the last person you need to explain the copy protection to

I mentioned this already. Black discs. Sony intentionally used black plastic to set their discs apart from standard CDs. The purpose of this wasn't as a security precaution. The black nature of the plastic doesn't block anything or change how the discs run. All it does is immediately set the discs apart visually. You can't sell pressed discs as bootleg PS1 games, because it would be immediately obvious that they weren't original PS1 titles without the black plastic. No collector could ever be fooled by a pressed disc that didn't feature that distinct black disc.

But if you were talking about a LRG-themed repro, not having the black plastic wouldn't be a problem. LRG printings aren't designed to replicate the original release, but rather be new releases with the LRG-specific branding. They use different art and logos, and are immediately distinct from the original anyway. As a collectible, they would be desirable without attempting to be a quasi-bootleg.
Towards the end of production there were ps1 discs that were silver discs. I know I have (or had) some greatest hits psx games that are silver.

I wonder what the deal is with Blasphemous at Best Buy. LRG has been shipping the standard version haven't they? No pre-order up at BestBuy.com yet, unless this is one of those LRG games that just shows up in stores before being put up on BestBuy.com. Or it's the first where Best Buy exercised that right to not proceed that the product listings always threaten us with....
It wouldn't be the first time they didn't list a game right away due to how few they ordered.

It wouldn't be the first time they didn't list a game right away due to how few they ordered.
I know - those other times they were spotted showing up in stores, though (probably by you). At least, I don't recall the gap being that long between LRG shipping and Best Buy selling. I saw Best Buy get some LRG games before LRG started shipping (the titles that released Holiday 2019, like the Turoks...and something else).

And given how few they have been ordering lately I've been surprised that the relationship keeps going (especially when they never seem to move in my area). One day, that threat LRG puts on the product listings is bound to come true.

Wasn't there already a Fallen Legion PS4 release by LRG?  Or is this a sequel or updated version?

Holy Crap the Metacritic score on this is awful.

Wasn't there already a Fallen Legion PS4 release by LRG? Or is this a sequel or updated version?

Previously one route was released on the Vita and one on the PS4. This is the Vita's route / version on the PS4. It's a pretty awful value given that NISA already released them together physicaly on the Switch.

Wasn't there already a Fallen Legion PS4 release by LRG? Or is this a sequel or updated version?

First time checking the Metacritic of these LRG releases?? The thing that makes me laugh the most about these guys is that they act like they are long time gamers. If they were you'd think they would know what a good game is.

First time checking the Metacritic of these LRG releases?? The thing that makes me laugh the most about these guys is that they act like they are long time gamers. If they were you'd think they would know what a good game is.
They're just grabbing for money at this point

So good is a universal and measurable thing that is a constant and exactly the same for everyone in the world right? So if you dont think something is good then anyone else in the world that disagrees is wrong?

I mean I think grand theft auto 5 and breath of the wild arent good games, and I'm sure to millions would say "I dont know what a good game is" but I know what a good game to me is.

People are allowed to like things.

God damn 60 bucks? That's too rich for my blood. Maybe later I can get one on ebay for less when people try to sell theirs.

Thanks for letting me know though.
It is two games so $30 per isn't terrible for sure. It's one of the few LRG games I would get, but I already bought the Vita set.

God damn 60 bucks? That's too rich for my blood. Maybe later I can get one on ebay for less when people try to sell theirs.

Thanks for letting me know though.
It was speculated that it would likely be this price, nothing to be surprised about lol

For comparison, when they released for the Vita, I think it was like $50 each. Apples to oranges, but at least it's a better deal here than if you had bought them separately prior.

Personally would wait to see if BBY bothers to put in an order for this and grab it then with GCU.

It was speculated that it would likely be this price, nothing to be surprised about lol

For comparison, when they released for the Vita, I think it was like $50 each. Apples to oranges, but at least it's a better deal here than if you had bought them separately prior.

Personally would wait to see if BBY bothers to put in an order for this and grab it then with GCU.
You and or others speculated. I was not in on that conversation. So yeah, it's a surprise to me. Just because you knew something doesn't mean I do to.

Per Twitter, looks like limited run games will be doing a streets of rage 4 release. Looks like the game will launch in spring so details to follow

Well, where do you think they ordered those boxes from? A: China.
Since they've been doing this for a couple years now I kind of assumed they would already have a bunch of boxes on hand, or if they didn't that they would have reordered months ago, well before the start of their next annual sale.

Well here's hoping I get something good but also know I'll probably get a Vita and NS game I already have.
Same here. Figured I'd take a shot for the Vita and switch. Hopefully I get something I want AND do not yet own.... With my luck it'll be something I own or didn't want.

Yikes. Guess I'll see check out the digital prices if it's true but I know some of those Japanese games are a lot for the digital also.

They looked cool though.
You and or others speculated. I was not in on that conversation. So yeah, it's a surprise to me. Just because you knew something doesn't mean I do to.
Even though you started the line of "conversation" and responded to one of the posts that provided some info from one familiar with their pricing scheme and somehow you're "not in on that conversation" :rofl: okay guy.

My response wasn't malicious or hostile, but good to know you justify being a douche for no reason because you found something nothing to be offended about :applause:

Have a good day!

So has there been any mention of when they plan to offer those last few Vita titles? As it seems to me holiday of 2020 might not be a stretch for these guys at this point.

So has there been any mention of when they plan to offer those last few Vita titles? As it seems to me holiday of 2020 might be a stretch for these guys at this point.
Nope. All silent on the last few releases.

Seems highly likely this is going to be a long standoff between Nicalis and LRG to release the last physical vita game.

My response wasn't malicious or hostile, but good to know you justify being a douche for no reason because you found something nothing to be offended about :applause:
I love that Nothing- liked that post. Hilarious.

Nope. All silent on the last few releases.

Seems highly likely this is going to be a long standoff between Nicalis and LRG to release the last physical vita game.
Yeah, that's why I threw in the towel, as I figured a d**k swinging contest may have been looming, and I didn't want to be a part of the shit show.

Yeah, that's why I threw in the towel, as I figured a d**k swinging contest may have been looming, and I didn't want to be a part of the shit show.
Can't speak to Nicalis, but LRG has indicated recently on their Discord that the two remaining Vita games are awaiting another game each to pair with for their intended release dates, so at least there is some explanation of the delay even if it's not a great one.

I’m curious if the 3DS game is still coming. It’s announcement corresponded with Nintendo basically saying 3DS sales had ranked and they pulled all future projects.

I’m curious if the 3DS game is still coming. It’s announcement corresponded with Nintendo basically saying 3DS sales had ranked and they pulled all future projects.
Not too long ago, I seem to remember Josh confirming on Twitter that it was either going through or had already finished certification. Can't find it right now, but I did find the dev back in December saying that they were making progress and he estimated an "early 2020" release. We'll see I guess. Anything 3DS related is probably not a top priority over at Nintendo.

Once they get carts manufactured for 3DS, they (like switch games) still have to get the carts packaged once they arrive.  So expect a huge delay between it finally showing up and it being in it's box/sealed ready to be packaged and shipped.

I'm marginally interested in the Atooi Collection, but at this point I've moved all my handheld gaming purchases to Switch ... so it doesn't make sense to buy it.

Can't speak to Nicalis, but LRG has indicated recently on their Discord that the two remaining Vita games are awaiting another game each to pair with for their intended release dates, so at least there is some explanation of the delay even if it's not a great one.
yah someone on this form said that super meat boy was going to be release at the same time as super meat boy 2

Not too long ago, I seem to remember Josh confirming on Twitter that it was either going through or had already finished certification. Can't find it right now, but I did find the dev back in December saying that they were making progress and he estimated an "early 2020" release. We'll see I guess. Anything 3DS related is probably not a top priority over at Nintendo.
Pretty sure the developer showed a final copy on his Twitter a few weeks ago, so they seem to be done and packaged just awaiting sale.

Not too keen on the re-releasing of titles that are already physical and collectible. If the excuse is to play the game most of them are readily emulated etc- if it’s to own “physical” then acquire the original release? I don’t hold onto high dollar old school games but to those who do this seems like a kick in the nuts.

bread's done
Back