Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I loved Monkey Island so I am tempted but why is it so expensive?   $39.99 for an old Sega CD game which is one of the worst ports of the game.  I would have expected more along the lines of $29.99.  I guess it is a good thing though because it will save me some money by not purchasing it.

Prob cost them a bunch of money to make the cases lol.

My copy of lifeless planet should be here tomorrow I think. Looks like a fun game to kill the weekend with.

Not too keen on the re-releasing of titles that are already physical and collectible. If the excuse is to play the game most of them are readily emulated etc- if it’s to own “physical” then acquire the original release? I don’t hold onto high dollar old school games but to those who do this seems like a kick in the nuts.
Maybe just me but I do collect games and all and have a few Sega CD games and I honestly don't mind their re-releases. They're clearly marked with their logo and stuff so any collector can easily distinguish between OG and re-release.

Man, I would be all over the Monkey Island and Star Wars releases tomorrow if I hadn't just been burned on all of my Star Wars NES, GB, N64 LRG releases that all came in damaged this month.  They were my first LRG CE's that I have ever gotten and they lost all of my faith the way they handled them and my support requests.

Maybe just me but I do collect games and all and have a few Sega CD games and I honestly don't mind their re-releases. They're clearly marked with their logo and stuff so any collector can easily distinguish between OG and re-release.
Thanks for input. I was thinking folks who owned Sega cd complete / sealed titles like snatcher etc would oppose. If I owned a 600+ title that was being needlessly reproduced I’d be irked for sure.

Thanks for input. I was thinking folks who owned Sega cd complete / sealed titles like snatcher etc would oppose. If I owned a 600+ title that was being needlessly reproduced I’d be irked for sure.
I've been collecting for years and while I'm not as hardcore as many, I think reprints that come years after a game leaves the market is a bigger irk. If a game sold out early, then you didn't make enough so make more but if you're just making more years later because everyone wants a copy now that the value is up, that bothers me. If I want a game, I'll buy it early or risk knowing it might sell out. If it sells out and I pay aftermarket prices, that's my choice and if I want it badly enough, I'll pay. But when a company just sits on it for years and then decides to reprint it (after I paid $80 for a game that was originally $30)- this happened a year or two ago when I picked up a 5-6 DS games for quite a bit of money because I figured it's now or never, and 3 of them got reprinted (and they're identical) a few months after.

What LRG is doing seems fine to me- clearly a reprint and marked accordingly. I still have my originals, including some of the more expensive titles even, like Snatcher and The Space Adventure. But for someone who has fond memories of opening up Snatcher, flipping through the manual, etc. if they can somewhat relive that for $40, I'm all for it.

What's funny is that there are reproductions of some rarer games already. And they look almost identical.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snatcher-Sega-CD-Reproduction-Complete-/254483958111?hash=item3b406d095f%3Ag%3A2ZEAAOSwxFVeIUw%7E&nma=true&si=bARmtvL%252FvT%252BZee9cUyay6z5izds%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I would be all over the Monkey Island and Star Wars releases tomorrow if I hadn't just been burned on all of my Star Wars NES, GB, N64 LRG releases that all came in damaged this month. They were my first LRG CE's that I have ever gotten and they lost all of my faith the way they handled them and my support requests.
What kind of damage?

Perhaps I was being a little bit hasty. Sega CD game cases are dope AF,

but it still feels like much of what they do is cashing in games that are not hard to acquire, ones I often already own from PC game bundles, and can be bought digitally for a buck.  These aren't things that need to be preserved physically and hardly anyone owns a working Sega CD console.

Man, I would be all over the Monkey Island and Star Wars releases tomorrow if I hadn't just been burned on all of my Star Wars NES, GB, N64 LRG releases that all came in damaged this month. They were my first LRG CE's that I have ever gotten and they lost all of my faith the way they handled them and my support requests.
Awe man, last I read you were worried about yours after seeing the pics of all the spotty foil art. I'm curious too how bad were they? Just the same foil art issues, crushing, or what?

Awe man, last I read you were worried about yours after seeing the pics of all the spotty foil art. I'm curious too how bad were they? Just the same foil art issues, crushing, or what?
Yeah, that's why I'm curious. The foil was spotty on the "Star Wars" CEs and it seemed to impact all of the ones I saw on Ebay. The "Empire Strikes Back" and "Shadows of the Empire" CEs seemed to be fine for me, though.

And I would be getting today's CEs if I didn't suspect they'd come out for the PC in the exact same configuration. They don't need to change a thing about the contents other than the disc.

Yeah, that's why I'm curious. The foil was spotty on the "Star Wars" CEs and it seemed to impact all of the ones I saw on Ebay. The "Empire Strikes Back" and "Shadows of the Empire" CEs seemed to be fine for me, though.

And I would be getting today's CEs if I didn't suspect they'd come out for the PC in the exact same configuration. They don't need to change a thing about the contents other than the disc.
Maybe they just hate you.

source.gif

In my own mind, I demonstrated commendable restraint today. I held myself back from getting the Monkey Island CE, and settled for the standard-edition with the long box, instead. I even avoided getting a copy of Rebel Assault. It's not the worst Star Wars game, but its also far from the best, and I don't feel that I need the Sega CD edition. Not 100% restraint, granted, but pretty good for me. (I can't overstate my rabid love of Monkey Island)

If they put out Snatcher in a similar release, I'll be there with bells on. I was one of those poor sods who never had a Sega CD back in the day, and was late to the Kojima weirdness party. I have emulation-supported means of playing Snatcher, but I have never been able to afford an original copy. And if they manage to get Konami on the hook for Snatcher, that opens up the possibility of other Sega CD and possibly even PS1 titles. Suikoden 1 and 2, perhaps?

If they put out Snatcher in a similar release, I'll be there with bells on. I was one of those poor sods who never had a Sega CD back in the day, and was late to the Kojima weirdness party. I have emulation-supported means of playing Snatcher, but I have never been able to afford an original copy. And if they manage to get Konami on the hook for Snatcher, that opens up the possibility of other Sega CD and possibly even PS1 titles. Suikoden 1 and 2, perhaps?
Snatcher for me is Kojima's finest work, that isn't MGS1, and I've sworn off his current offerings until he revisits it, as that new delivery service game he offered looks like ass(no offense to anyone who is enjoying it). LOL Snatcher is probably my most played game that isn't a platformer like Mario, were I'll play a few times over for kicks or 100%, Snatcher I'll play once a year just to experience all it has to offer. Nothing original overall, as it borrows from many popular movies and stories, but the music is some of the best, as is the voice over work in game. I would love to see a modern day take on this, as the investigation side of things could use a major overhaul but doubtful it ever happens, but one can dream.

I lucked up in getting my copies, as I started collecting Sega CD when the next gen was on the rise, so I got Snatcher from a gaming liquidator at the time for $30 if memory serves. I got my CDX new in box in the same manner for next to nothing, as the SEGA CD bombed, and back then no one was concerned with collecting, so I got tons of stuff cheap(online shopping was in it's infancy). Now that being said, I sold my 3 copies of Snatcher over the years in the $80-$100 range(1 opened, 2 sealed), and now I see the going rate and want to slap myself. LOL

So for those referring to loosing value now if a reprint is offered, what is my argument, as I sold mine before the value was crazy, do I now deserve to complain and get more money from those who bought my copies? I get that someone who buys a game for hundreds of dollars due to scarcity may not be happy that the same game may now lose value, but that's what happens. This can often happen in the reverse, as you may buy something cheap no one wants, only to have the value climb years later, are you going to sell that game off to some for what you paid for it? Of course not, but that's pretty much the argument being made for a reprint to not be offered.

I got my complete Sega CD Snatcher for $100 shipped from a fellow CAGer back in 2011.  I don't see complete original doping in value, there are just not that many copy out there

In my own mind, I demonstrated commendable restraint today. I held myself back from getting the Monkey Island CE, and settled for the standard-edition with the long box, instead. I even avoided getting a copy of Rebel Assault. It's not the worst Star Wars game, but its also far from the best, and I don't feel that I need the Sega CD edition. Not 100% restraint, granted, but pretty good for me. (I can't overstate my rabid love of Monkey Island)

I really wanted a Sega CD when it was new. When the Model 2's with Sewer Shark were being clearanced off I saw one at Fred Meyers for $59.99. My parents wouldn't buy it.

Anyways in 2001 I bought a Genesis\CD combo and around 40 games for $190(good luck now)off of Ebay. Some good ones in their too. Soulstar, Robo Aleste, Final Fight, Heart of the Alien, Android Assault, bunch of others. Nothing super rare, but all complete. Around that time I bought a good amount of new Sega CD games from Ebay. In 2010 I got Lords of Thunder, Terminator, Earthworm Jim among others. I have around 70-80 of the 159 US releases. I'd hate to be a collector.

Wouldn’t say Sega CD bombed. It was released as multiple iterations and had a 5 year production run. It was moderately successful as an add-on / peripheral. Too expensive and the politics of the day really hurt it- quite a few titles were controversial and senate hearings / ratings / unavailable games hurt more than helped. Sega has not had much success outside of Japan aside from the Genesis as a whole.

Maybe if we get lucky, they can hack the turbo grafx mini, and can get a translated version on there. Not the real thing, but neither are repro's

Snatcher for me is Kojima's finest work, that isn't MGS1, and I've sworn off his current offerings until he revisits it, as that new delivery service game he offered looks like ass(no offense to anyone who is enjoying it). LOL Snatcher is probably my most played game that isn't a platformer like Mario, were I'll play a few times over for kicks or 100%, Snatcher I'll play once a year just to experience all it has to offer. Nothing original overall, as it borrows from many popular movies and stories, but the music is some of the best, as is the voice over work in game. I would love to see a modern day take on this, as the investigation side of things could use a major overhaul but doubtful it ever happens, but one can dream.

I lucked up in getting my copies, as I started collecting Sega CD when the next gen was on the rise, so I got Snatcher from a gaming liquidator at the time for $30 if memory serves. I got my CDX new in box in the same manner for next to nothing, as the SEGA CD bombed, and back then no one was concerned with collecting, so I got tons of stuff cheap(online shopping was in it's infancy). Now that being said, I sold my 3 copies of Snatcher over the years in the $80-$100 range(1 opened, 2 sealed), and now I see the going rate and want to slap myself. LOL

So for those referring to loosing value now if a reprint is offered, what is my argument, as I sold mine before the value was crazy, do I now deserve to complain and get more money from those who bought my copies? I get that someone who buys a game for hundreds of dollars due to scarcity may not be happy that the same game may now lose value, but that's what happens. This can often happen in the reverse, as you may buy something cheap no one wants, only to have the value climb years later, are you going to sell that game off to some for what you paid for it? Of course not, but that's pretty much the argument being made for a reprint to not be offered.
I recall Sears fire selling the CDX at one point

CDX got silly cheap and then people figured out it was pretty cool and it became sought after. I got one for 40$ brand new from sears. They were hidden in a locked glass shelf in the back of the store. That sears was my go to for hard to find stuff. I got a Turboduo there for 50$ in like 2001, multiple copies of the release version of Persona3 for 9.99 etc

Sega CD has the advantage of cheap to produce CD when cart was very expensive.  So they can get away with selling fewer copies.  On the other hand 32X was a disaster.  

There's a seller on eBay who has Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero and Shantae Risky's Revenge in GB Color style boxes with LRG's logo on them (similar to the Seven Sirens one). I haven't heard anything about those- are they something new? 

There's a seller on eBay who has Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero and Shantae Risky's Revenge in GB Color style boxes with LRG's logo on them (similar to the Seven Sirens one). I haven't heard anything about those- are they something new?
Maybe something they sold for PAX?

Amen to all of this. I'm more of a Saturn collector than Sega CD, but in the last 2 years or so I have been getting more Sega CD stuff for my shelves. Snatcher is always one of those games I thought was interesting, but never played until about 12 years ago. I remember seeing game reviews for it in magazines way back in the day and I wish I had a Sega CD at the time because I probably would've enjoyed Snatcher back then. As of now....my 2020 resolution is to obtain a CIB copy for my collection.

Amen to all of this. I'm more of a Saturn collector than Sega CD, but in the last 2 years or so I have been getting more Sega CD stuff for my shelves. Snatcher is always one of those games I thought was interesting, but never played until about 12 years ago. I remember seeing game reviews for it in magazines way back in the day and I wish I had a Sega CD at the time because I probably would've enjoyed Snatcher back then. As of now....my 2020 resolution is to obtain a CIB copy for my collection.
Yeah, my Saturn collection was even bigger than my Sega CD one, but sadly none of those items came at a discount, but rather at a premium, as I imported most of those. LOL

I've navigated a few forums and read people's reactions to their beloved "rare" games getting reprints. They're always butthurt. I even remember when Final Fantasy VII (which isn't rare at all) was being sold for ~$100 on the second-hand market, then Squeenix flooded the market with their silvery-bottomed reprints and then scalpers got mad.

As for why LRG did this, it's obviously to test the waters. I bet they have ambitious plans regarding retro reprints.

I've navigated a few forums and read people's reactions to their beloved "rare" games getting reprints. They're always butthurt. I even remember when Final Fantasy VII (which isn't rare at all) was being sold for ~$100 on the second-hand market, then Squeenix flooded the market with their silvery-bottomed reprints and then scalpers got mad.

As for why LRG did this, it's obviously to test the waters. I bet they have ambitious plans regarding retro reprints.
I can understand both sides of this. Think about other collectibles like books, comics etc- the community understands that a reprint is inevitable and not going to reduce the value of first editions etc. VGs are different for some reason- probably more reflective of the personality/ psychology of the demographic of the collectors. Absolutely do see higher value games drop off after digital etc. a reflection of actual quality and desirability rather than collectibility.

What kind of damage?
My Star Wars CE has the random spotting and one small chunk missing. All but my Shadows regular editions have damaged corners. My Shadows was bent/warped and one bent edge. Support says this is all “normal manufacturing” and expected on these card backs. They offered me the option for 5% refund on one game and option to return my CE for a 15% restocking fee! I have my last Star Wars game from LRG and unfortunately I’m not hopeful on its condition. This whole ordeal has ruined any faith in them to deliver any sort of CE in decent sable and definitely not Retro games.

I normally would have been all over the Star Wars and Monkey Island Sega CD releases they just had but I could not bring myself to trust them especially is there was an issue.

Nice rip on Coca Cola advertising.  Looks like they used the same font for Enjoy.   I'm not buying any $25 LRG shirts, but I rarely wear printed shirts anymore anyway.

enjoy-coca-cola-T-shirt.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, as a fat dude, I'm not wearing anything that says "limited run" on it. I'm a 30 year old man, nobody has teased me since 9th grade, but I'm well aware of when I'm loading a gun and leaving it laying around for anyone to shoot.

That said if they added "games" to the stupid logo I'd consider it if I liked the design.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, as a fat dude, I'm not wearing anything that says "limited run" on it. I'm a 30 year old man, nobody has teased me since 9th grade, but I'm well aware of when I'm loading a gun and leaving it laying around for anyone to shoot.

That said if they added "games" to the stupid logo I'd consider it if I liked the design.
This is the funniest thing I've read on this thread in a while. Thank you.

i would never wear name branded in big letters. they better pay me or give the shirt free to advertise their company.

i would never wear name branded in big letters. they better pay me or give the shirt free to advertise their company.
Even back when I was more of a fan of these guys as business owners and as individuals, I would have never worn this, unless it was as stated above(free or being paid). I mean seriously, are they that many people out there demanding this, or is this just the "big head syndrome" at work?

They have tons of cool games that they have offered, where a unique shirt design for fans of specific games would be rather cool, but this just looks more like greed, yet once again. But in their defense, maybe this is to test to the waters for better shirt offerings down the road, so who knows? But I have to ask, how much money do they think these "collectors" have? Even if I was just buying games for one system, there would be nothing left for items like this, and I don't see any non game buyers coming here to just buy shirts. So who are these geared towards really?

...They have tons of cool games that they have offered, where a unique shirt design for fans of specific games would be rather cool, ...
This is what I'd be interested in seeing, though fangamer already offers this for much larger franchises. Loot Crate also filled this spot in the market, though they won't be around much longer it seems

So who are these geared towards really?
My guess is that "influencers" will be getting them and they'll be around to help fill out trade show booths. People will buy random crap at trade shows and special events. I'm sure there are some whales they are going after as well.

So kinda want to complain, even though I know what I got myself into.  I ordered 4 blind boxes, 2x PS4 and 2x Switch.  I wasnt expecting anyting good, but the wife said why not.  Got my box in yesterday, got Rabi-Ribi for PS4, Double Switch for Switch and Ms. Splosion Man for Switch.  Nothing groundbreaking, but stuff I would enjoy.  My one HUGE complaint, is my second PS4 game was Accounting+, which requires PSVR to play.  I understand the random aspect of this, but I open my games and play them.  This seems like a waste because I will never get to play something I paid for.  I know I shouldn't even complain, but it is something that has been annoying me that I basically got a useless game.  Live and learn I guess....

I think it's astonishing that they don't release a greater number of relevant, pantheon titles than any of their competitors and imitators now.  Maybe 2-3 per year. 

bread's done
Back