Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I recommend dont buy anything unless you're willing to wait at a minimum 8 month's to get your game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I recommend dont buy anything unless you're willing to wait at a minimum 8 month's to get your game.

I’ve been following LRG since the beginning, with Saturday morning RPG and Breach & Clear. At what point did they turn into a shady or ‘scam’ company as they are today?

I follow this thread from time to time to read about things such as what you stated in the quote. They sell things in large quantity yet apparently never deliver. Is this actually true? Or they take shovel ware or cheap games that are $.99 on iOS yet sell them for $30 as a switch cartridge.

Are they essentially a version of kickstarter where you hope to get your ‘donation’ in the form of a game?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been following LRG since the beginning, with Saturday morning RPG and Breach & Clear. At what point did they turn into a shady or ‘scam’ company as they are today?

I follow this thread from time to time to read about things such as what you stated in the quote. They sell things in large quantity yet apparently never deliver. Is this actually true? Or they take shovel ware or cheap games that are $.99 on iOS yet sell them for $30 as a switch cartridge.

Are they essentially a version of kickstarter where you hope to get your ‘donation’ in the form of a game?
You’ve followed them from the beginning, but then ask these kind of questions?

Don't know why anyone responds to this guy. Just spend a moment in the collector's edition thread in connection with Final Fantasy VII Remake where he did the exact same form of concern trolling over the last few days.

I don’t follow daily, weekly, or even monthly. Once in a while I check in the thread here and generally I only see complaints, especially about shipping times or unable to contact customer service.

Don't know why anyone responds to this guy. Just spend a moment in the collector's edition thread in connection with Final Fantasy VII Remake where he did the exact same form of concern trolling over the last few days.

I find it a legitimate question. They were great early on, I was so excited to start a physical collection from them. Over time it seemed they went a totally different route. And having a discussion about a new game isn’t trolling.

If you visit their webpage now, it seems just like a normal retail operation.  They have a ton of games/merchandise for sale and most is in stock.  In the past they would only have a few games up at a time and they were typically sold out.  It would be interesting to see their profit numbers now, compared to a few years ago.

If you visit their webpage now, it seems just like a normal retail operation. They have a ton of games/merchandise for sale and most is in stock. In the past they would only have a few games up at a time and they were typically sold out. It would be interesting to see their profit numbers now, compared to a few years ago.
I did notice that. In the past you had to be online the second the game dropped, and even then often times the website/cart would crash. Now it seems games are plentiful and not that limited. Or demand dropped off drastically.

LRG is half the company it used to be and gets half the respect. Their games have long been out of the "OMG I have to have it!" category.
Says you. Blossom Tales arrived today and you do not want to know how loud I shouted. Panzer Dragoon is a huge must have too, among many others... it's just not the shit you want.

I don't know exactly when they "turned" but it was a while ago. A few examples I can think of..

-Force bundling soundtracks with some of the Vita games (ex: Rocketbirds)

-Releasing the "final 2 Vita games" in Blind Boxes before they sold them individually to drive sales of the blind boxes.

-Offering a "free pack of trading cards" for purchases during the 01/01 sale and then sending an email out 10 minutes before that they changed their minds.

Although I will say every time I have contacted their customer service they have helped me. It can take a while to hear back but if you contact them it seems they will try to make the situation right. Overall I think they are greedy but so is every other company out there. I think we just expected them to stay a small company "for the gamers" but that just didn't happen when they got big. I can also say that while it does take a million years to receive orders, they do always come through. I don't think I've ever heard of someone being ripped off. So all in all they are just another big company, for better or for worse. If you like the games they are selling and don't mind a wait - then do it! At this point I don't think it would be fair to buy something and complain about waiting since it is well known by now.

I don't know how to feel about Chex Quest.

it feels silly to charge $150 for a CE for that game... but at the same time, it's really a thing that encapsulates a time when things felt more magical... a time when a game from a box of cereal could be exciting.

There wasn't any one universal turning point. It really depends upon your own personal level of tolerance for repeated shitty behavior.

Personally for me the biggest problem is the delayed shipping. They insisted for so long to not do pre-orders when things were selling out in seconds. It turned to preorder without calling it that and now it's 8 months before I have my games. I used to impulse buy their stuff when it was in hand and shipped immediately because I would play it as filler between other releases I wanted. Now I've gotta consider if I'll still care 2 seasons from ordering.

I feel that's the problem with consumption of media in general. People want to play what's hot now and get an adrenaline and dopamine fix from that because you're playing what everyone else is, and it's new, and being talked about more by the general public or such. It's the same with video games, like right now everyone is playing FF7R. By the time you get these LRG games in hand your general sensation for them is likely a lot lower, and then no one is talking about them anymore, so it really does feel as timely anymore. This happens to me too, with me wanting to watch new anime from the current season, which honestly I think I'm a pretty tough critic now. I drop more stuff than not these days. So far in the current season I'm only watching one, mainly cause I've seen so many of the plots before, or I feel my intelligence dropping dramatically, but that's a whole different discussion. I know I've had an LRG release months later, or a Kickstarter board game where I'm just not feeling it anymore after it finally gets in my hands months later after being hyped for them. 

There wasn't any one universal turning point. It really depends upon your own personal level of tolerance for repeated shitty behavior.

Personally for me the biggest problem is the delayed shipping. They insisted for so long to not do pre-orders when things were selling out in seconds. It turned to preorder without calling it that and now it's 8 months before I have my games. I used to impulse buy their stuff when it was in hand and shipped immediately because I would play it as filler between other releases I wanted. Now I've gotta consider if I'll still care 2 seasons from ordering.
Thank you for an honest answer. It’s tiring to see trolls on recent previous posts calling people out for not praising LRG and simply asking if the company can be trusted today after all of the negative feedback that I see.

I did notice a downward trend with them a long time ago. I was ecstatic to start a Vita physical collection with them and loved the ‘rarity’ aspect early on when LRG started. Having to wait 6-8 months for a purchase though just isn’t reasonable. For a kickstarter? Sure. For a purchase from a company? No way.

It seems like they announce a new game every day lately.
I'd wager this is intentional... only a few industries are booming right now and video games are one of them, so they're capitalizing on the hype. Additionally, a lot of people are going to have some extra $ in their accounts due to the stimulus checks and I'm sure a lot of them are going to spend it on unnecessary stuff. More importantly, there is a recession coming either because COVID-19 will last a lot longer than most people think or it'll pass but people are going to be hesitant to spend- so they're selling/collecting money now while they can.

A lot of Americans just got some money in their account so LRG wants to take advantage of that.  Physical print is a luxury item - you are paying extra money to get stuff you won't see for months.  During hard times this will be the first thing people stop to buy.

I don't think this is anything nefarious or planned out beyond them making contracts to pump out games and opting not to take their foot off the throttle because they need the profits to pay people that cant work and continue to pay for their headquarters and utilities.

From a customer view point it seems super disgusting and shady because we have 20+ Million that have applied for umemployement and the country as a whole is hurting financially now more than ever.

That said, I think a lot of the disgust comes from us having interacted with the owners and employees of the company and being tricked into believing that somehow made us all more connected to the company.   Like they were our friends in the game publishing industry, when they weren't.  They were just some guys that saw what Vblank (Brian Provinciano) did with Retro City Rampage, it's artificial rarity, how it was termed a "limited-edition run", and how people rabidly bought it up and they decided to copy the idea and expand on it.  Really it's kind of amazing to see how much of the idea was just outright copied from Brian/Vblank including taking that term and shortening it into Limited Run Games.

So, let go of whatever affection you once had for LRG.  They are a business that is it.  They aren't your friends... or your enemies.

I don't think they are out to do anyone any harm.  If you feel they are I suggest taking some time for some deep reflecting into why you feel so offended.  This would be a good moment in time to finally make some real changes to what you buy, why you buy it, and what it even matters in the long run of your life.  Take care.

They aren't our friend or enemy is extremely true.

The problem with THAT aspect is they started out being our friend. Asking for help buying sub par games we didn't want to keep helping fund physical gaming! Cheering for the underdog! They used to be very active on all forms of social media, and forums, and have lots of one on one interactions with customers. They were super transparent about their business and what was going on. They really did act like they were your friend, and a lot of us bit onto that.

Then the indie darling company started making a lot of money, over promising and under delivering, cutting public relations in favor of industry celebrities and YouTubers, stopped in hand shipping models, signed too many games to keep juggling, got sick of dealing with trolls, etc.

It's nothing you can hold against them. It's something bound to happen with any successful organization. When your local mom and pop shop turns into a national chain they can't know everyone by name anymore. It sucks when they forget that they ever knew your name tho, and that's what stings for a lot of us early adopters.

No matter how legit it is, you can't get away from the appearance of it looking like a Ponzi scheme.

There's nobody else that I do business with where I pay 100% upfront, three, six, twelve months in advance.  I don't support that kind of thing.  I'm not made of venture capital; I'm a customer.  I'm not here to fund your future operations and business endeavors.  But the biggest thing is that they're simply not publishing the most sought-after games anymore.   They could release a big hit and I'd completely miss it since I don't pay much attention to their releases anymore since 95%+ of it is garbage. 

No matter how legit it is, you can't get away from the appearance of it looking like a Ponzi scheme.

There's nobody else that I do business with where I pay 100% upfront, three, six, twelve months in advance. I don't support that kind of thing. I'm not made of venture capital; I'm a customer. I'm not here to fund your future operations. But the biggest thing is that they're simply not publishing the most sought-after games anymore. They could release a big hit and I'd completely miss it since I don't pay much attention to their releases anymore since 95%+ of it is garbage.
They release so much shovelware they rival the Wii

The problem with THAT aspect is they started out being our friend. Asking for help buying sub par games we didn't want to keep helping fund physical gaming! Cheering for the underdog! They used to be very active on all forms of social media, and forums, and have lots of one on one interactions with customers. They were super transparent about their business and what was going on. They really did act like they were your friend, and a lot of us bit onto that.
It was good ploy to selling games. It was pretty much a carbon copy of Vblank... except without a great game to start with but with the promise of better games to come. They got me with their first game, but I waited after that for games I really wanted since everything sold out and there was no need to "support" the company with a mercy purchase anymore.

It may look bad but I highly doubt they are "robbing Peter to pay Paul" with game sales. They were making enough as it was to pay employees and maintain their facilities (even moving several times to bigger/better facilities) with the profits generated from sales. Since sales haven't slowed even a little and instead they have extended preorders, there's no reason to think they are doing anything wrong... yet. Even when they are back up to full speed I doubt they'll slow down sales at all and will keep plowing forward until people stop buying limited release games. Plus if they applied for a stimulus loan then they should be past using profits right now for more than maintaining the bills for their physical offices and they'll really make a killing off of the government.

They aren't our friend or enemy is extremely true.

Then the indie darling company started making a lot of money, over promising and under delivering, cutting public relations in favor of industry celebrities and YouTubers, stopped in hand shipping models, signed too many games to keep juggling, got sick of dealing with trolls, etc.

It's nothing you can hold against them. It's something bound to happen with any successful organization. When your local mom and pop shop turns into a national chain they can't know everyone by name anymore. It sucks when they forget that they ever knew your name tho, and that's what stings for a lot of us early adopters.
This reminds me of the early days of Kinda Funny when everyone was best friends (including us viewers). Now, I just don’t even bother with their content. Got tired of the morning show and they killed off the last thing I regularly watched (Party Mode). C’est la vie

So I’m interested in picking up Panzar Dragoon, but When LRG says that Best Buy May get a small amount of this game but may not move forward with it what is the likely chance that Best Buy does get it? Is it usually a good chance or like 50/50? I would rather get it from Best Buy rather than LRG. Thanks

So I’m interested in picking up Panzar Dragoon, but When LRG says that Best Buy May get a small amount of this game but may not move forward with it what is the likely chance that Best Buy does get it? Is it usually a good chance or like 50/50? I would rather get it from Best Buy rather than LRG. Thanks
It has been 100% likelihood so far.

Ms. Explosion Man may have been one that BB declined to go through with. Is no longer in the description but I distinctly remember at the time of the sale it had the BB wording. That's the only one I can think of though.
You are correct. I remember the confusion from people that Best Buy was going to sell Ms Splosion Man but not Blazing Chrome. It seems Best Buy did likely drop that game.

The only other possibility is that LRG had the wording on the page by mistake. They have made mistakes before, but that seems unlikely as the wording was there for well after they finished selling the game from what I remember.

I guess we need to tread carefully on all future releases.

Ms. Explosion Man may have been one that BB declined to go through with. Is no longer in the description but I distinctly remember at the time of the sale it had the BB wording. That's the only one I can think of though.
I think the reason for that is ms explosion man was part of the January 1st sale so they had to edit the listing on the site for that sale if you look at Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight for the switch the site listing for it also no long has the best buy mention in the description yet it is for sale at best buy

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/nintendo/products/switch-limited-run-37-momodora-reverie-under-the-moonlight-preorder

also Celeste for switch does not have the best buy mention in the description

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/nintendo/products/switch-limited-run-23-celeste-preorder

Apologies if this has been asked, because I didn't see it anywhere, but has LRG said why the PS4 version of Streets of Rage 4 Classic Edition has the "Genesis" tagging on the spine, but the Switch version does not? Or is it just how the mock-ups were made for the listings and they'll both have it?

Apologies if this has been asked, because I didn't see it anywhere, but has LRG said why the PS4 version of Streets of Rage 4 Classic Edition has the "Genesis" tagging on the spine, but the Switch version does not? Or is it just how the mock-ups were made for the listings and they'll both have it?
I believe the Switch version includes a "switch branded slipcover" per the description on the product page. I'm pretty sure I saw Josh respond to someone on Twitter saying that the actual cover art under the slipcover is the same.

I think the reason for that is ms explosion man was part of the January 1st sale so they had to edit the listing on the site for that sale if you look at Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight for the switch the site listing for it also no long has the best buy mention in the description yet it is for sale at best buy

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/nintendo/products/switch-limited-run-37-momodora-reverie-under-the-moonlight-preorder

also Celeste for switch does not have the best buy mention in the description

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/nintendo/products/switch-limited-run-23-celeste-preorder
The only difference is that Ms. Explosion Man has been out for quite a while, so if it was coming to BB it likely would have been listed by now.

The only difference is that Ms. Explosion Man has been out for quite a while, so if it was coming to BB it likely would have been listed by now.
don't know maybe it will show up at best buy some time soon. I was just posting maybe why the best buy mention was missing from the ms. splosion man listing I know it was there a few days before the January 1st sale

Josh confirmed it wasn't coming to BB on twitter a while ago.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1212125441714216962

I believe the Switch version includes a "switch branded slipcover" per the description on the product page. I'm pretty sure I saw Josh respond to someone on Twitter saying that the actual cover art under the slipcover is the same.
Interesting. I completely missed that Twitter post. Thanks!

I've slowed down on my LRG purchases but with Streets of Rage 4 I'm considering it. The problem is I also would like Hot Line Miami from SRG but I think I'm going to limit myself. I've played Hotline and have it for PC so I have little concern of not being able to play it (unlike a Nintendo console) but there is something to the ability to have the first physical copy of both. I don't like ordering from LRG unless they have another game I can piggy back off of but I'm not interested in Panzer or Shadowgate (which just got taken down) so it's throwing a wrench in it.

I've slowed down on my LRG purchases but with Streets of Rage 4 I'm considering it. The problem is I also would like Hot Line Miami from SRG but I think I'm going to limit myself. I've played Hotline and have it for PC so I have little concern of not being able to play it (unlike a Nintendo console) but there is something to the ability to have the first physical copy of both. I don't like ordering from LRG unless they have another game I can piggy back off of but I'm not interested in Panzer or Shadowgate (which just got taken down) so it's throwing a wrench in it.
I long ago stopped buying games unless I legitimately want to play them. The collecting bit doesn't matter anymore. Interested in Streets of Rage 4 though I definitely want to see how the game scores before I drop that much on it.

Last year I made 37 purchases at LRG and I've made 3 so far this year. My rationale:

• Nobody knows when things will ship and that's annoying (this was a problem before COVID-19, though that certainly didn't help).
  • Their focus right now is definitely the Switch and I don't collect for the Switch at all. Learned my lesson on the Vita.
  • Quality of games has gone down. I've never heard of half of the games they're publishing nowadays.
  • The VIta was a big reason I made purchases and there are no more Vita games they can sell me. I bought Papers Please and Meat Boy second-hand after the blowout sale, so I'm just waiting for whatever fullset game they offer for free when/if that happens.
I was considering buying Indigo Prophecy, which would have made four purchases. But I was going back and forth on the CE to get the steelbook. The CE sold out so now I'm probably just going to wait and buy a copy on eBay instead. I'll probably buy Shantae and Night in the Woods when those come out but nothing else that's upcoming appeals to me.

I'm torn on this as well... I really think it's shady that they're taking all these pre-orders which might not even be fulfilled but I also love me some Panzer Dragoon.
The pre-orders will be fulfilled, LRG has never failed to actually ship something. But at this rate it may very well be 2021 before they ship. If you'd rather wait, it's extremely likely BestBuy will put up a listing closer to the actual production/ship date.

I'm torn on this as well... I really think it's shady that they're taking all these pre-orders which might not even be fulfilled but I also love me some Panzer Dragoon.
I missed it, why wouldn't they fulfil the preorders? I am tempted to pick up Panzer Dragoon along with Hotline Miami today.

I missed it, why wouldn't they fulfil the preorders? I am tempted to pick up Panzer Dragoon along with Hotline Miami today.
China is the world hub of almost all things produced, and for the moment, there is no idea how "production" will play out going forward. Just for an example, I'm waiting for the Replicade Dragon's Lair 1/6 scale arcade cab, which was supposed to ship in March(production was due in Feb). As of today, they have no idea when it will be produced, as there is a line forming for production, and no one has an idea how things will play out once production gets full swing again(if that ever even happens).

I'll assume like most things in life, how quick you get things produced, will depend on how much money you have to throw at the problem. So were MS, Sony, Apple and "N" will probably be able to get things done in coming months, smaller operations might as well bury their heads in the sand. As the world isn't getting back on track, just because some clueless politicians want it to. Anybody ordering this stuff during this time, should be aware of this, as none of this stuff is coming soon. Especially not CE/SE were most parts need to be made, before it can ship. Standard games are a much better gamble at this point, and even the odds for those aren't good.

China is the world hub of almost all things produced, and for the moment, there is no idea how "production" will play out going forward. Just for an example, I'm waiting for the Replicade Dragon's Lair 1/6 scale arcade cab, which was supposed to ship in March(production was due in Feb). As of today, they have no idea when it will be produced, as there is a line forming for production, and no one has an idea how things will play out once production gets full swing again(if that ever even happens).

I'll assume like most things in life, how quick you get things produced, will depend on how much money you have to throw at the problem. So were MS, Sony, Apple and "N" will probably be able to get things done in coming months, smaller operations might as well bury their heads in the sand. As the world isn't getting back on track, just because some clueless politicians want it to. Anybody ordering this stuff during this time, should be aware of this, as none of this stuff is coming soon. Especially not CE/SE were most parts need to be made, before it can ship. Standard games are a much better gamble at this point, and even the odds for those aren't good.
Thanks for the info. After reading reviews and seeing the price is $39.99 maybe I will just pass on it. I think I will still get Hotline Miami though.

Hotline Miami (Switch) - Exclusive Variant IS NOW SOLD OUT

special reserve games copies goes on sale in about 45 min

bread's done
Back