Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Yesterday was street date for Vitamin Connection at Best Buy. You won't find it on their website. I had to ask them to search the SKU 6434876 and dig it up the one copy from the stockroom.

Yesterday was street date for Vitamin Connection at Best Buy. You won't find it on their website. I had to ask them to search the SKU 6434876 and dig it up the one copy from the stockroom.
I was going to mention this myself - it doesn't seem to be listed on the website but I found/picked up the single copy my local store got in this afternoon.

Wasn't going to buy Monkey Island Anthology, but what was wrong with the proposed LRG version of it?
The game came on a USB thumb drive versus a disc. Also, apparently there were some issues with not being able to obtain artwork for use in the short amount of time. It appears they are postponing the preorder/release until these items can be further developed.

The game came on a USB thumb drive versus a disc. Also, apparently there were some issues with not being able to obtain artwork for use in the short amount of time. It appears they are postponing the preorder/release until these items can be further developed.
That's not the impression I got. I believe the issue was with some of the physical items they intended to include in the box and they took a bunch of feedback from PC big box collectors about what they would prefer to see. I don't think they are planning to swap out the USB or that they will be able to get access to the original art.

That's not the impression I got. I believe the issue was with some of the physical items they intended to include in the box and they took a bunch of feedback from PC big box collectors about what they would prefer to see. I don't think they are planning to swap out the USB or that they will be able to get access to the original art.
Not sure what other feedback they'd be responding to... those were the complaints - no discs and the artwork (or lack thereof). They didn't want to use the big box art work because people can already buy it, even though they used that art for the Sega CD release. They didn't want to incorporate the dial-a-pirate wheels because people can already buy them. I guess it makes sense not to include the games on a disc - even though they have for every other PC LucasArts release - because people can already buy them. LRG is all of a sudden reluctant to release something people can already buy elsewhere.

They wanted to do more, but couldn't get access to art...even though I thought the included book was supposed to have art and I think Doug was hyping how good the book was going to turn out.

So, they went with a simple black design with something for each game in the box, but no actual disc in whatever was in the slipcase.

Not that I know if anything would have been different normally. I have been underwhelmed by all of these LucasArts releases so far from a design perspective. They've replaced nostalgia with minimalist designs and the usual trinkets. I'm waiting to see if the essay booklets they've included are at all well produced.

Not sure what other feedback they'd be responding to... those were the complaints - no discs and the artwork (or lack thereof). They didn't want to use the big box art work because people can already buy it, even though they used that art for the Sega CD release. They didn't want to incorporate the dial-a-pirate wheels because people can already buy them. I guess it makes sense not to include the games on a disc - even though they have for every other PC LucasArts release - because people can already buy them. LRG is all of a sudden reluctant to release something people can already buy elsewhere.

They wanted to do more, but couldn't get access to art...even though I thought the included book was supposed to have art and I think Doug was hyping how good the book was going to turn out.

So, they went with a simple black design with something for each game in the box, but no actual disc in whatever was in the slipcase.

Not that I know if anything would have been different normally. I have been underwhelmed by all of these LucasArts releases so far from a design perspective. They've replaced nostalgia with minimalist designs and the usual trinkets. I'm waiting to see if the essay booklets they've included are at all well produced.
I think you're confusing feedback here with the feedback LRG was responding to. The USB and original art thing is not a big deal to the people that have been driving the feedback. It's mostly about the fact that the pin set seems badly designed and that they would rather see code wheels and buttons and other items that more closely resemble the items contained in the original releases. The collectors driving the feedback have created their own mockup of what they would like to see and the USB stick is still very much part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're confusing feedback here with the feedback LRG was responding to. The USB and original art thing is not a big deal to the people that have been driving the feedback. It's mostly about the fact that the pin set seems badly designed and that they would rather see code wheels and buttons and other items that more closely resemble the items contained in the original releases. The collectors driving the feedback have created their own mockup of what they would like to see and the USB stick is still very much part of it.
No, I saw the feedback in reply to the posts on their twitter account - the same place they were announcing they were going to delay it based on the feedback. I've seen a mock-up of someone's proposed CE that uses original PC box art. There are plenty of responses on Twitter about the games only being on a USB stick.

And I would be shocked if anything from that mock-up is incorporated in what they ultimately do. They have already crapped on various aspects of that mock-up as being non-starters. And, really, what's left is less preferable to me than what they came up with in the first place.

No, I saw the feedback in reply to the posts on their twitter account - the same place they were announcing they were going to delay it based on the feedback. I've seen a mock-up of someone's proposed CE that uses original PC box art. There are plenty of responses on Twitter about the games only being on a USB stick.

And I would be shocked if anything from that mock-up is incorporated in what they ultimately do. They have already crapped on various aspects of that mock-up as being non-starters. And, really, what's left is less preferable to me than what they came up with in the first place.
The feedback is coming from the Facebook groups though per Josh's tweets. I'm part of a number of those Facebook PC collecting groups, so I've been part of those discussions. I agree that Josh thought the mock-ups weren't realistic and would result in crazy cost increases, but he did indicate that the changes they are likely to make are to the pin set and some of the other items and not to the art book, statue or the USB drive.

I know people have had problems with floating PS4 discs from LRG and I have two opinions on the matter. One is that it is up to the shipper to make sure the product arrives to the customer without damage. If you just threw it in a flimsy bubble mailer and it comes damaged then it's the seller's problem. LRG is literally the only company I've ever heard of that says "tough shit, you should have paid extra for a box". Can you imagine if one of us sold a game on eBay, the case arrives smashed and the disc is damaged and we say "too bad, should have paid extra for shipping!" Our account would be shut down very quick if that was the case.

On the other hand the PS4 cases are ridiculously cheap and flimsy compared to other companies and Sony should have revised them for the PS5. They look nice, but they are not durable and almost every time I receive a PS4 game in the mail the disc is either loose or the case is cracked if it's not packed in a box or extra bubble wrap. DVD cases so cheap to make that it's insane that Sony would cut corners that badly. I do not have this problem with Xbox One or Switch cases so Sony's cheap cases are the problem. The sad thing is that I honestly think that the blue PS4 cases look much better than the competitions, but their build quality sucks.
This subject was debated to death years ago. Loose PS4 discs are very easy to reattach without opening the wrap. Just search Youtube for instructional videos.

I don't see how that helps out with damaged discs, though. Most loose discs won't be damaged but I've received some from stores that I returned due to scratches or chips on the sides. I am not going to have a damaged product due to Sony's negligence so anytime I receive a damaged PS4 case or loose disc with even the tiniest scratch I will exchange it or return it for one in the condition I ordered it in. It also doesn't address the fact that a product is inherently flawed if it doesn't work as intended. Discs are not supposed to rattle around in the case, they are supposed to stay in place. It's a huge design flaw.
As someone who literally has thousands of disc based games, most of which were acquired through mail order and most were sent in thin pouches by the major retailers, I can say that not a single game I have received with a loose disc has showed up with scratches or other damage. Could it happen? Sure. Does it happen very often? Nope. I think even LRG would agree that the PS4 cases have a design flaw, but the reality is that other than anal retentive collectors, the practical effect of loose discs for most consumers is zero.

As someone who literally has thousands of disc based games, most of which were acquired through mail order and most were sent in thin pouches by the major retailers, I can say that not a single game I have received with a loose disc has showed up with scratches or other damage. Could it happen? Sure. Does it happen very often? Nope. I think even LRG would agree that the PS4 cases have a design flaw, but the reality is that other than anal retentive collectors, the practical effect of loose discs for most consumers is zero.
I have opened a few loose PS4 games and the disc is either perfectly fine, or has a light smudge I just wipe off. DIsc works fine.

I've had issues with scratched CDs and DVDs, but never with loose bluray discs. I'm more annoyed with damaged artwork tbh... A cracked case can be easily replaced, where damaged artwork is much more difficult to address. And yes, I know games are meant to be played, but part of the fun of a physical collection is admiring quality artwork, and having it look nice.

I get that too, but I think the fear with LRG is that they're leaning too far in that direction and potentially ignoring better and/or worthwhile releases.
At this point, I am pretty sure they don't even play the game they want to target for release beforehand and just look at what the box art would be and go from there.

Speaking of which, did Sony fix the design flaw with the PS5 game cases, or are they still being cheap bastards?
They appear to be using the same exact cases again. That might not seem like an issue to some because Blu-ray's are so hard to scratch but PS5 games will come on 4K (66GB and 100GB) discs and those more easily scratchable. Not sure why they backtracked on that but it's an issue that plagues 4K movie discs already.

They appear to be using the same exact cases again. That might not seem like an issue to some because Blu-ray's are so hard to scratch but PS5 games will come on 4K (66GB and 100GB) discs and those more easily scratchable. Not sure why they backtracked on that but it's an issue that plagues 4K movie discs already.
I had no idea the coating was any different!? Quick web search suggests that it might be a thinner coat? I'll definitely be researching more about this later.

I had no idea the coating was any different!? Quick web search suggests that it might be a thinner coat? I'll definitely be researching more about this later.
Neither did I. I'm sure they scaled back on the coating to save a few pennies per disc -- ugh. Well, glad that 4K discs come packaged with blurays. I don't have a 4K player but hope to get one down the road. Not a high priority as I have little/no interest in upgrading my TV any time soon, either.

Neither did I. I'm sure they scaled back on the coating to save a few pennies per disc -- ugh. Well, glad that 4K discs come packaged with blurays. I don't have a 4K player but hope to get one down the road. Not a high priority as I have little/no interest in upgrading my TV any time soon, either.
I'm wondering if it has to do with the extra layer of data? I haven't found anything conclusive on the matter, but I'd be curious if anyone has more information.

I always thought it was due to the extra data on the discs. I hadn't heard the theory that it was due to coating? That said, I've run into a few faulty UHD Blu-rays, and I've had some that skip and hang up if they have even the tiniest smudge on them. They are significantly more fussy than standard Blu-ray discs. 

I always thought it was due to the extra data on the discs. I hadn't heard the theory that it was due to coating? That said, I've run into a few faulty UHD Blu-rays, and I've had some that skip and hang up if they have even the tiniest smudge on them. They are significantly more fussy than standard Blu-ray discs.
Oh boy. That sucks.

I wonder when Ys Origins, Obra Dinn and Samurai Jack will be released on Physical, ordered them in August and still says in-production

Last day to order Brigandine for PS4. I missed out on switch (where I’d prefer to have it) but I still haven’t been able to bring myself to order this version yet.

I wonder when Ys Origins, Obra Dinn and Samurai Jack will be released on Physical, ordered them in August and still says in-production
I dunno if you're joking, but in case you're not - most stuff takes 6 months or so to ship anymore. Between the backlog buildup and the holidays I wouldn't expect to see most of that until next year.

I dunno if you're joking, but in case you're not - most stuff takes 6 months or so to ship anymore. Between the backlog buildup and the holidays I wouldn't expect to see most of that until next year.
I wasn't joking, but that's a while I remember ordering other games and took half that time. Thanks anyways for answering that.

I wasn't joking, but that's a while I remember ordering other games and took half that time. Thanks anyways for answering that.
They got a small batch of Ys Origin already in - you can see live copies on ebay. There are still quite a few games from June/July that haven't been shipped yet - I'm still waiting on Metal Slug XX, which was late June.

They got a small batch of Ys Origin already in - you can see live copies on ebay. There are still quite a few games from June/July that haven't been shipped yet - I'm still waiting on Metal Slug XX, which was late June.
I didn't see any NA collector's editions of Ys Origin on ebay (only European ones, but those aren't through LRG), so if, like me, you ordered one of those, it'll be a bit longer.

I didn't see any NA collector's editions of Ys Origin on ebay (only European ones, but those aren't through LRG), so if, like me, you ordered one of those, it'll be a bit longer.
Oh I assumed that user was talking about the standard. They said on Twitter that they had ordered a small batch in advance, so that's why you see some standards on the bay. I did order the NA collectors and yeah don't think it'll ship before the end of the year.

Yeah LRG used to be all about getting rare titles that are actually meaningful..now it's just relasing just really old games for full price on disc.

I have a lot of their gem vita stuff though ( Senran Kagura: Bon appetit, Vallhal11a, etc. )

But i'll pass on all this emulated shit. Every single sale is now shipping 6+ months after too..I know supply chain etc but everything should be transparent the second you buy it with a release date, getting "maybe this year" for a game that has already been released for two years is absolutely silly.

Got to wonder how many takers they have on the PS2 version of Destroy All Humans when the remaster is already on sale for a lower price.

They opened a Tokyo office?
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1323685619080613893

https://twitter.com/cvxfreak/status/1324184500729860097

It seems like it's primarily for their vinyl stuff, but yeah. Apparently only 500 feet or so total, so it won't be a shipping office or anything like that.

It seems like it's primarily for their vinyl stuff, but yeah. Apparently only 500 feet or so total, so it won't be a shipping office or anything like that.
Thanks for the link. I did some google searching before I posted but turned up nothing on "Limited Run Games Tokyo". Of course it's an obscure tweet.

500sq feet... yeah if you hadn't mentioned that I was going to note how tiny the space looked based on the pictures... but given the location that's probably actually quite big... especially if it's only for one or two people and visitors. Pricing varies of course but looks at some similar spaces online and they came to around the equivalent of $1200/mo USD. IF that's about what they are paying, not counting employee costs... that's pretty reasonable to tap more deeply into japanese devs for games and music.

Yeah LRG used to be all about getting rare titles that are actually meaningful..now it's just relasing just really old games for full price on disc.

I have a lot of their gem vita stuff though ( Senran Kagura: Bon appetit, Vallhal11a, etc. )

But i'll pass on all this emulated shit. Every single sale is now shipping 6+ months after too..I know supply chain etc but everything should be transparent the second you buy it with a release date, getting "maybe this year" for a game that has already been released for two years is absolutely silly.
It sucks they're what they are now and it sucks even more than I can't bring myself to not support them because they do release some titles I really do want (Shantae, Grandia, etc.).

Any insight as to when they'll be shipping the switch Grandia and shantae 1&2 games? Also still wondering if they'll bring over Moon

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1323685619080613893

Hopefully it makes it easier for them to get Japanese games

bread's done
Back