Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
What are some equivalent companies to this in other media?  Any that have similar issues, tactics or messaging?  Just a thought that made me curious.  There are rare books, cds, movies, but not aware of third party companies based around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are some equivalent companies to this in other media? Any that have similar issues, tactics or messaging? Just a thought that made me curious. There rare books, cds, movies, but not aware of third party companies based around it.
There are companies like Mondo that do limited runs of poster prints and other ancillary goods like art books and vinyl soundtracks using the same model. There are also limited print movie companies like Arrow Films and a number of others that do genre specific releases like obscure sci-fi and horror films on Blu Ray and DVD as well as 4k UHD occasionally. There are also limited statue and action figure companies like Sideshow and PCS. There are plenty of big record companies that do vinyl and CD box sets that have limited print runs that are announced before pre-orders open and sell them through their own branded online stores. I'm not aware of any rare print book companies (although I'm sure they exist), but there are certainly publishers that do deluxe limited editions of graphic novels through their own specialty in-house labels/stores like IDW Limited and Z2 that sell direct to consumer. I mean, LRG's model is far from unique and while they credit companies like VBLank for giving them the inspiration, they have really become more similar to Fangamer or even Iam8Bit at this point with a combination of their own releases, third party distribution titles and merchandise.

What are some equivalent companies to this in other media? Any that have similar issues, tactics or messaging? Just a thought that made me curious. There rare books, cds, movies, but not aware of third party companies based around it.
There are indeed limited print books, numbered editions, special signed editions, limited leatherbound or illustrated editions. It's usually in the fantasy, sci-fi, horror genres etc. that get pricey on the secondary market. So many specialty publishers do this it's hard to cite just one. But for fun just go to eBay, type in Subterranean Press, and search by highest price haha.

Movies are slightly different in that it's way more accepted to stream, but you better believe there are still limited edition box sets as well as small print runs for many films, usually niche films or obscure films never before brought to blu-ray/dvd that don't have a wide audience. The difference is they usually don't sell out as quickly as some other forms of media.

Thanks!  Interesting.  Guess I’m just out of the loop on limited print run companies in general.  I think it has positives and negatives overall for the medium and hobby, but probably inevitable.  LRG still just seems different to me, more random in their focus, what they pick out (or are able to get) and the collector packages they put together.  All the issues brought up the last few pages, wonder if those other media limited run companies have similar issues, or if not, the unique challenges to doing it with video games.

Thanks! Interesting. Guess I’m just out of the loop on limited print run companies in general. I think it has positives and negatives overall for the media and hobby, but probably inevitable. LRG still just seems different to me, more random in their focus, what they pick out (or are able to get) and the collector packages they put together. All the issues brought up the last few pages, wonder if those other media limited run companies have similar issues, or if not, the unique challenges to doing it with video games.
I personally think they all have the same issues with lack of communication, delays and of course the usual demands that they should be selling at retail or pressing significant additional copies so that people can pick them up down the road at their leisure. One thing I think most of the video game limited run companies have done well for the most part is to avoid defects. Other than the occasional lack of promised on-disc DLC or a few defective copies, I'm not aware of any instances where an entire print run was bad. I can't tell you how many vinyl box sets have mass defects or errors (wrong tracks, poor pressing quality or the same tracks on both sides of the album when that wasn't intended). There have also been issues with some of the limited movie companies either using the wrong master materials or having other technical issues that have resulted in substandard releases. Certainly, statue and figure companies have had to cancel or recall product when things didn't go well in the manufacturing process and there have been plenty of limited edition graphic novels with mass print defects or print that was far too dark or smeared.

I personally think they all have the same issues with lack of communication, delays and of course the usual demands that they should be selling at retail or pressing significant additional copies so that people can pick them up down the road at their leisure. One thing I think most of the video game limited run companies have done well for the most part is to avoid defects. Other than the occasional lack of promised on-disc DLC or a few defective copies, I'm not aware of any instances where an entire print run was bad. I can't tell you how many vinyl box sets have mass defects or errors (wrong tracks, poor pressing quality or the same tracks on both sides of the album when that wasn't intended). There have also been issues with some of the limited movie companies either using the wrong master materials or having other technical issues that have resulted in substandard releases. Certainly, statue and figure companies have had to cancel or recall product when things didn't go well in the manufacturing process and there have been plenty of limited edition graphic novels with mass print defects or print that was far too dark or smeared.
None of the companies mentioned screw up communication (if they even do any) like LRG

None of the companies mentioned screw up communication (if they even do any) like LRG
Honestly, most of the limited companies don't even bother with communication after the sale. Mondo rarely sends out updates and often badly misses deadlines. It often takes a lot of consumer pressure for the vinyl companies to respond if there is a defect and I know Arrow Video is pretty poor at communication. The reality is that all of these companies are small and they move a lot of product and communication after preorders is just not a priority. Perhaps it should be, but it's just not.

Bojay is clearly Josh on an alt shill account, he's been busy trying to defend their crappy business practices on Twitter today, must be taking it's toll

Bojay is clearly Josh on an alt shill account, he's been busy trying to defend their crappy business practices on Twitter today, must be taking it's toll
Sure dude, I'm sure Josh had the foresight to register this account in 2003 in Los Angeles. How's therapy going?

This comment is completely unnecessary, but comical to say the least. Bojay may have unconventional opinions at times, but he brings a different perspective, and makes some good points. Also, he's definitely not Josh... He has a history of tweets questioning and critiquing LRG announcements, which would definitely not come from an LRG insider.

Shilling (gotta make that money), Trolling (desperate for attention), is just Gullible (Actually believes every word the company has fed them), or they just don't care as much as you do about gaming.

The best way to deal with such people is just ignore them. IF that seems hard to do, then go into your user setting (use link, or another way is use the notifications button in the upper right and select all notifications)... then select 'Ignore' Preferences from the menu and add that person to your block list. Their post will show as a blocked post which you can temporarily unbock and read... or just ignore. But at least by default you won't see them unless someone quotes one of them. But it's something. Ultimately all these people want is your attention.
Of course. Thankfully I don't need to block as has not gotten to level of needing

Careful,might be one of those informants that spills the beans. Has happened quite a number of times up to point of Doug having a Twitter rage rant moment 😂

Pretty they never said anything about BBY carrying GBC version of Shantae
It'll be interesting to see how these sell. Does LRG ever mention BBY sales stats for their games?

Also, I love seeing people use BBY... that's how I know they're one of the oldheads since we had to distinguish BestBuy from BlockBuster back in the day.

Anyone who's familiar with LRG's switch game library have any recommendations to pick up in the secondary market?  I'm looking to pickup Obra Dinn but their switch releases seem numerous and I was wondering if there were any "must have" titles.

Thanks!

G~

Anyone who's familiar with LRG's switch game library have any recommendations to pick up in the secondary market? I'm looking to pickup Obra Dinn but their switch releases seem numerous and I was wondering if there were any "must have" titles.

Thanks!

G~
Based on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Run_Games#Games_released

The games I would recommend buying (but beware of scalpers price):

Thimbleweed Park

Thumper

Oxenfree

West of Loathing

Dust: An Elysian Tale

Golf Story

Shantae

Shantae: Risky's Revenge

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Shantae and the Seven Sirens

Celeste

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Transistor

Rogue Legacy

River City Girls

Blasphemous

Blazing Chrome

Blaster Master 1 and 2 (separate releases)

Streets of Rage 4 (this had a national release, buy it from Amazon instead...also has a better cover than LRG)

Hyper Light Drifter (on sale right now on their site)

Some of those had Best Buy releases too, so you will need to check the listing pages.

Based on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Run_Games#Games_released

The games I would recommend buying (but beware of scalpers price):

Thimbleweed Park

Thumper

Oxenfree

West of Loathing

Dust: An Elysian Tale

Golf Story

Shantae

Shantae: Risky's Revenge

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Shantae and the Seven Sirens

Celeste

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Transistor

Rogue Legacy

River City Girls

Blasphemous

Blazing Chrome

Blaster Master 1 and 2 (separate releases)

Streets of Rage 4 (this had a national release, buy it from Amazon instead...also has a better cover than LRG)

Hyper Light Drifter (on sale right now on their site)

Some of those had Best Buy releases too, so you will need to check the listing pages.
Solid list.

One of the Shantae games is available at best buy and Amazon (I think) right now; Transistor, Rogue Legacy, Blaster Master 1 and 2, and Streets of Rage are all available at best buy currently. If you can find it, highly doubt though, River City Girls and Blasphemous were also available at one point in store.

Anyone who's familiar with LRG's switch game library have any recommendations to pick up in the secondary market? I'm looking to pickup Obra Dinn but their switch releases seem numerous and I was wondering if there were any "must have" titles.

Thanks!
G~
My favorites:
Mercenary Kings
West of Loathing
Golf Story
Furi
Celeste
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Bloodstained

Bonus game: Streets of Rage 4, which you can still buy at retail even though it's not the LRG version.

Beware of:
-Kingdom: New Lands (the newer Kingdom: Majestic release includes New Lands along with more content)
-Blasphemous (the cartridge has an old version of the game which is noticeably worse than the current version)
-Any of the games still freely available at Best Buy where they'll likely be cheaper than on eBay (Battle Chef Brigade and Rogue Legacy are great and they're both $25 right now)

Not sure what aftermarket prices are like on these, but in general I'd recommend just grabbing whatever you can get at a decent price.

I'd recommend just buying a big memory card for the Switch and getting those digital, but that's just me. I think Golf Story may be missing a patch physically (I think mine updated one day...one of the Switch releases I own). Otherwise I'd recommend released yet or not:

Blaster Master Zero games

Celeste

Cosmic Star Heroine

Flinthook

Grandia HD collection

Gunvolt games

Iconoclasts
Moero Chronicle H (If you really like RPG dungeon crawlers)

Mary Skelter 2

River City Girls

Shantae games 

Streets of Rage 4

Thimbleweed Park

VA-11 HALL-A

West of Loathing

I'd recommend just buying a big memory card for the Switch and getting those digital, but that's just me. I think Golf Story may be missing a patch physically (I think mine updated one day...one of the Switch releases I own). Otherwise I'd recommend released yet or not:
Without going on too long of a rant, I'd second this. The LRG back catalog is pricey and most of these games go on sale digitally pretty regularly. I was pretty starkly anti-digital for a while, but the FOMO, artificial scarcity, mark ups, etc. have made me more open to it than ever.

Yeah I am very happy these games are being physically preserved for future but I'm glad I don't feel repaonsible for doing it anymore.

It sounds stupid but I'll admit I was one of those idiots who bought into that scam.

I finally got my 'Streets of Rage 4' Collectors Edition aaaannnnnnnd the steelbook is jacked.

Somehow the larger outer plastic case the game is housed in was pressed together too hard, some pieces of it including the bottom right corner broke, and the bottom of the steelbook was pinched up. It caused the plastic interior to bow and crack. I got it open, but it took some force (careful not to cause more damage) and the bottom of the steelbook isn't flush and as such it can't stand flat on a shelf.

It seems to have happened after the cardboard sleeve was put on and everything was compiled within. Or maybe the steelbook was damaged from the outset, because the plastic game case is fine and the cardboard sleeve that goes over the larger plastic case seems fine. There is a puncture in the plastic sleeve the steelbook comes in.

Anyone else have this?

https://tinyurl.com/y25tst7x
https://tinyurl.com/y2dhslul

Also, weren't we supposed to get an additional soundtrack sampler?

I'd recommend just buying a big memory card for the Switch and getting those digital, but that's just me.
I would except that I have 3 Switches for me and my 2 kids and Nintendo's way of sharing digital games with a family when there are multiple Switches involved is just stupid.

I would except that I have 3 Switches for me and my 2 kids and Nintendo's way of sharing digital games with a family when there are multiple Switches involved is just stupid.
For some games it will be cheaper to buy 3 digital copies on sale than buying 1 physical copy

For some games it will be cheaper to buy 3 digital copies on sale than buying 1 physical copy
Yeah, sometimes you can get 10 digital copies of a game for the price of 1 physical copy. LRG has made me realized that there are reasons why some games are digital.

Yeah, sometimes you can get 10 digital copies of a game for the price of 1 physical copy. LRG has made me realized that there are reasons why some games are digital.
It's been an interesting ride. First MS with the original XBox Arcade gave small devs a way to get their games on consoles. A huge boost for indie developers. The other console makers followed suit. Then LRG came along to try and turn as many of these smaller games into physical as possible and many bought into it. Now here many of us are back at the beginning realizing that ... the original idea of getting small publishers into digital publishing makes more sense. I do like having a few select indie (or just lesser known) games in physical form.. but the vast majority to me are fine as digital only. People back up and preserve digital games too. In fact that's the main way the vast majority of all the classic systems are preserved.

It's been an interesting ride. First MS with the original XBox Arcade gave small devs a way to get their games on consoles. A huge boost for indie developers. The other console makers followed suit. Then LRG came along to try and turn as many of these smaller games into physical as possible and many bought into it. Now here many of us are back at the beginning realizing that ... the original idea of getting small publishers into digital publishing makes more sense. I do like having a few select indie (or just lesser known) games in physical form.. but the vast majority to me are fine as digital only. People back up and preserve digital games too. In fact that's the main way the vast majority of all the classic systems are preserved.
From what I recall, LRG and the ilk started by turning darlings into physical trophies. Now it's definitely chasing some self-created bubble of pumping out any game with a pulse for purchase. This has turned it into what it is today and is likely also the cause for a lot of the customer support issues, beyond pandemic matters.

An aside, would be that Nintendo is infamous for delisting games and shutting down digital services, so they value of some of the more desirable indie games on physical carts will likely only increase over time, since the writing is on the wall that all Nintendo digital services will eventually die. Probably a reason, among a few others, that the Switch stuff appears to hold value more than PS4 stuff.

I spend time in collectors groups now and I think its kind of funny that most of the time, when I see LRG and the like games being put up for trade/sale, they're still sealed. It seems like folks are not really playing these games, either, further indicating the kind of market they're now catering towards. But that could be an anecdotal bias from my perspective.

Personally, I've yet to open an LRG release. By the time I get the physical game, I've usually bought the digital copy on sale. I went down that rabbit hole for a couple years, but now have decided to only get physical copies of the games I want to display in my game room.

I considered trying to get all the Vita releases, but missed so many that it seems pointless to try to get them all now. Also, I don't have any faith that LRG will actually send out Revenge of the Bird King to people with full sets.

I spend time in collectors groups now and I think its kind of funny that most of the time, when I see LRG and the like games being put up for trade/sale, they're still sealed. It seems like folks are not really playing these games, either, further indicating the kind of market they're now catering towards. But that could be an anecdotal bias from my perspective.
I believe the majority of games LRG have published are sitting sealed. So many, as noted, were free on ps+ or other services and it became not even necessary to open them.

I have I think 7 LRG releases. Two are open (one I bought used/opened off ebay). I'll open the latest one I got, Shantae Seven Sirens (from bestbuy).. but for the most part .... I either bought games I already had digital and loved deeply... or got suckered into the hype like Breach & Clear Vita and Night Trap (PS4).

No, the physical thing for small devs still makes sense. It's the whole "not ready to be put on physical" part that's ruining it.

How come my LRG copy of Shadow Complex Remastered for the PS4 won't work with PS5 but the digital version does?  LRG has failed to comment on that

How come my LRG copy of Shadow Complex Remastered for the PS4 won't work with PS5 but the digital version does? LRG has failed to comment on that
Shadow Complex Remastered was one of the games that was incomparable with PS5. They later released a patch to fix it. I guess they never bother to see if it works with physical copy.

bread's done
Back