Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Well, the obvious answer is that this is a new physical product, and the cost to simply produce the new cartridge with PCB, printing, and assembly is likely around or greater than $30. I would also point out that the original MSRP of the first printing of A Boy and His Blob, back in the late 80s, was around $40 - $50. (and that was in 1980s money, not adjusted for modern inflation)

You can't meaningfully compare the cost of a product like this to the re-sale value of an extremely dated game, and you certainly can't expect the prices to match when practical concerns prevent this. I can certainly appreciate the seeming illogical decision of picking THIS particular game for a reprint, when its original version isn't valued very highly, and isn't particularly difficult to acquire. But the game in question is a bit of a cult hit, while a much quieter, more underground cult hit. This decision was likely made in hopes of bringing back someone's favorite titles from childhood, and possibly giving a lesser known title a second chance at exposure. It's also possible they might be hoping to cross-promote something coming out digitally soon. (a re-release on the eShop, or possibly a re-release of the Wii title?)
Are you implying there is any other logic to this besides they get whatever IP they can and crap it out onto a repro cart?

You can definitely compare the prices. It's like buying the same product from Walmart, Target or Whole Foods. The only difference is you can puff your chest that you bought it from LRG which is useless. Trying to justify the price by citing production costs is silly. I'm not going to sell through a product at retail when I'm 2x the price of my competition. However, LRG lemmings gonna lemm.

Funny thing is, every person I know who knows anything about the NES library dislikes A Boy and His Blob.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1483884733478146051?s=20
Hate to say it but I'm prob gonna get this.

Also, speaking of Wayforward... what happened to the last two PS5 Shantae releases? Seems like they were all over these releases back to back and then suddenly nothing. Did I just flat out miss the last 2?

Hate to say it but I'm prob gonna get this.

Also, speaking of Wayforward... what happened to the last two PS5 Shantae releases? Seems like they were all over these releases back to back and then suddenly nothing. Did I just flat out miss the last 2?
I don't think you missed anything. LRG is probably just dragging out the Shantae-on-PS5 novelty.

Trying to justify the price by citing production costs is silly.
I'm not attempting to justify paying the price. I'm justifying that the price shouldn't necessarily be the same as a used title that was produced more than thirty years ago. In fact, it is likely that I will personally skip this Boy and His Blob repro. I still own the original cartridge, which I acquired back when used gaming was still a pleasant shopping experience.

And that's part of the rub. In the early and mid 00's, GameStop aggressively pushed the majority of used game stores out of business. They altered second-hand game shopping into a glorified rental service. And in doing so, they drove out anyone who was trading in older, legacy product. All the cartridges went away. Thanks to that idiocy, shopping for older titles became far more difficult and less accessible.

If you want to buy a copy of an obscure title like A Boy and His Blob today, it's basically EBay or nothing. Average consumers can actually benefit from repros like this one, due to the shift in the market. But this is obviously not for everybody. Most old-school fans likely still have the copies they bought back in the day, like me. I don't need to double-dip to the tune of $70. And I'm not going to encourage anyone else to either.

It's just a mistake to dismiss this outright simply because it doesn't cost the same as an outdated and inaccessible product.

I'll go to bat for A Boy and His Blob. It's a neat game built around a neat idea, actually playing it is confounding and frustrating sometimes. In other words, it's perfectly in line with like 90% of experimental NES games. If that's your thing then give it a try.

I still don't get repros, but that's just me.

Really stressing about that Castlevainia Requiem Collector's Edition. I want it but damn......$200 is a fucking lot.
You and me both. I want it simply for SotN... even though I own SotN on multiple devices already, I do think the CE is kind of neat but likely isn't worth the price of admission.

I'll go to bat for A Boy and His Blob. It's a neat game built around a neat idea, actually playing it is confounding and frustrating sometimes. In other words, it's perfectly in line with like 90% of experimental NES games. If that's your thing then give it a try.

I still don't get repros, but that's just me.
I think some repos make sense. I have a handful- like the NTSC version of Terranigma and English/NTSC version of Bahamut Lagoon. And the Shantae repo made sense since the original release costs a few hundred for just the cart, and also with LRG's repos, the original developer gets some money from royalties unlike unofficial repos.

I'd like that Castlevania box but I have absurd anime blu-ray boxes to buy. 

really need to get one of these too:

https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/252820/magic-innistrad-crimson-vow-sorin-the-mirthless-showcase?xid=pid18831ea-6308-415f-9068-b4d06cd536fc&page=1&Language=English

252820.jpg

Artwork by Ayami Kojima

Josh has specifically stated that LRG is not doing NFTs or physical only games. Super Rare and Special Reserve both tried physical only releases. For Super Rare it was a bust and they're not doing another one.
Which game did Super Rare do? I remember seeing the Special Reserve one, but not Super Rare's.

Which game did Super Rare do? I remember seeing the Special Reserve one, but not Super Rare's.
It was Heaven's Machine and it has been reported that the game is broken and certain modes don't work.

Since this doesn't have a digital release I'd assume it will be hard to patch.

This is one of the reasons why I don't buy from Strictly Limited anymore. They releases a broken game on cartridge, Bite the Bullet and they were supposed to send out replacement game carts. I still haven't seen anything yet from them and their communication is worse than limited run. Last email I received in November said it would ship in December.

It was Heaven's Machine and it has been reported that the game is broken and certain modes don't work.
Since this doesn't have a digital release I'd assume it will be hard to patch.

This is one of the reasons why I don't buy from Strictly Limited anymore. They releases a broken game on cartridge, Bite the Bullet and they were supposed to send out replacement game carts. I still haven't seen anything yet from them and their communication is worse than limited run. Last email I received in November said it would ship in December.
I was just wondering about the status of the Bite the Bullet replacement carts the other day… Figured I was missing something, but apparently not.

They really have to be one of the worst fulfillment operations in existence.  I mean, I get the wait on preorders and preproduction items, but months long wait for things just sitting in their warehouse from their year end sale, and other stuff that should have long since been complete and delivered, with the slowest cheapest shipping at premium prices once it finally does get moving, kind of ridiculous.  I have very little LRG experience, but from what I’ve read of their attitude and customer service about delays and their own other mixups, it sounds pretty bad, almost like a disdain for their own customers.  They have demonstrated there is a sustainable market for this, the field is ripe for someone else to step in and do it better.  I think GameStop should give it a go, for all the hate they get, their prices, shipping and exclusives would probably be leagues better.  Limited run can keep handling kemco and other smaller games, that would still be a good niche for them, but it seems like there should be much better options for the bigger names.

They really have to be one of the worst fulfillment operations in existence.  I mean, I get the wait on preorders and preproduction items, but months long wait for things just sitting in their warehouse from their year end sale, and other stuff that should have long since been complete and delivered, with the slowest cheapest shipping at premium prices once it finally does get moving, kind of ridiculous.  I have very little LRG experience, but from what I’ve read of their attitude and customer service about delays and their own other mixups, it sounds pretty bad, almost like a disdain for their own customers.  They have demonstrated there is a sustainable market for this, the field is ripe for someone else to step in and do it better.  I think GameStop should give it a go, for all the hate they get, their prices, shipping and exclusives would probably be leagues better.  Limited run can keep handling kemco and other smaller games, that would still be a good niche for them, but it seems like there should be much better options for the bigger names.
This is what happens when you have no competition. Whenever you give a person too much power they think that they're untouchable and can do anything they want. There needs to be a competitor (and the overseas companies don't count for numerous reasons) who can secure the rights to making limited print versions of these games or you will continue to get the decline in service and horrible attitudes you see that are getting worse from year to year. When they started off they were nice, participated in these forums, and released games that people actually wanted. Every year since then they've gotten ruder, talk down to people on social media, and release any shovelware they can and ship it whenever they want to. And now we're not even getting updates. They don't care about getting negative feedback as long as the money keeps coming in.

I agree that if this limited production type model is going to continue and keep growing to include some of the biggest name games, more and better competition is needed, or in an ideal world this stuff should just go back to regular retail.  Not arguing with anything you’ve said really, but just the notion of competition always being good, and the lack of it being a primary reason for a person or company taking shitty actions, I feel like that’s kind of a cop out.  Lack of competition allows it, if that’s what they want, but it’s still the person in charge and powers that be making decisions.  If something is already good and exceeding what anyone should reasonably expect of the service at a fair price, I think competition can just degrade and eventually destroy that.  Know these are weird words to use in relation to businesses, but just in theory, if something good and noble did exist, whose primary drive was providing an exceptional service without exploiting its users or employee’s; how long could that really be expected to last as is in a greed is good, competition is king world?  Some larger profit driven more combative entity sees taking over this fair and moderate service as a means of expansion, ripe for future exploitation, since the original provider is not exploiting its customers or workforce as much as it could.  Sowing discord and negative attitudes about a generally positive service anywhere possible, making up an imaginary issue if necessary, arguing there is a need for their crappier service with negative ulterior motives poking out from behind the scenes, for the sake of competition that no one asked for, would pretty much be the way they’d wedge themselves in.  Already established crappy entities could try to label upstarts that do truly want to provide a better service as unscrupulous and untrustworthy as well though.  I guess just a really weird rant, and I know it’s an entrenched mentality thats been made fundamental to the American experience, but I’ve always thought competition just for competitions sake, when there’s no need for it, is a pretty crappy and sometimes nefarious notion.  Just by nature of the business model, how integral FOMO is to it, I don’t think LRG had far to fall from whatever their original lofty goals and intentions were.

I don't know how anyone can say there's no competition. We are saturated with limited run publishers right now. There are way too many publishing bottom of the barrel games that don't deserve physical copies. Red Art, First Press, 1Press and Premium Edition Games could all disappear and nobody would miss them. Once in a while one of these publishers might get a gem, but the majority of their output isn't worthy of physical copies.

I don't know how anyone can say there's no competition. We are saturated with limited run publishers right now. There are way too many publishing bottom of the barrel games that don't deserve physical copies. Red Art, First Press, 1Press and Premium Edition Games could all disappear and nobody would miss them. Once in a while one of these publishers might get a gem, but the majority of their output isn't worthy of physical copies.
I diagree with Premium Edition Games. I think they put out a quality product and don't half ass it. I also like most, if not all of the titles they have released. Granted most of their titles can be had for digitally for under $5 on sale, but that is true with just about all of these limited print companies.

I'd like that Castlevania box but I have absurd anime blu-ray boxes to buy.

really need to get one of these too:

https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/252820/magic-innistrad-crimson-vow-sorin-the-mirthless-showcase?xid=pid18831ea-6308-415f-9068-b4d06cd536fc&page=1&Language=English

252820.jpg

Artwork by Ayami Kojima
That card is fucking worthless like the rest of the set BUT because of the artist's popularity and rarity of the card it's $130 in foil and still above $30 for non. It's the last card I need for a set but I refuse to pay such dogshit prices on a bad card that outside its showcase is like $4 at best. Literally isn't played in any formats currently and is a terrible commander. Such a disaster of a set TBH.

I mean, LRG has problems but I am also wondering how many of the problems their customers cause. If you've ever sold to collectors on eBay or Amazon you would know that collectors are often very annoying people to sell to. They complain about everything, always want a partial refund for some imaginary problem, and have bad attitudes. Even if the game is perfect they'll just make up some problem, or the game is not perfect but they don't read descriptions and blame you for it. Literally some of the most entitled and annoying people imaginable. So I'll give them some credit for having to deal with a difficult audience to sell to and succeeding.

I'm just waiting to get the funds for the current Castlevania listing CE and PC Engine port besides Valis. Once that's done im out as not worth their 1+ or more year delays. I understood in past but this is bs flatout

So true. All these publishers and most of the games they publish I couldn't care about. Most of these western indie games aren't really worth $36+. If they had more games from japan that never got released here and never got english releases, I would be more interested. But it's easier to just release a game that already has english text. LRG is that best at this though, an example being Valis.

I diagree with Premium Edition Games. I think they put out a quality product and don't half ass it. I also like most, if not all of the titles they have released. Granted most of their titles can be had for digitally for under $5 on sale, but that is true with just about all of these limited print companies.
They also have decent communication updates. I've only purchased one game from them (Phoenotopia: Awakening) and I have already received updates on how the process is going with production.

If I didn't get Robot Named Fight for $1 and Cathedral for some gold coins digital I would have bought these two releases from them as well. I'm looking forward to see what they have planned for the rest of the year.

How long does it usually take LRG to ship out their blind boxes?
Back in the early days of LRG is was pretty quick because they had things packaged in the blind boxes ready to go and no massive backlog of shipping. These days they don't even bother to do the pre-work in packing them in blind boxes so they have do that process and then fit them into the shipping cue. If there are any high profile games in the cue, this will drop everything else down that is ready to ship. So, expect at least a month delay before they enter the cue unless of course they didn't even have the blind boxes printed and on hand for the packaging... then likely at least two months of a delay minimum.

Back in the early days of LRG is was pretty quick because they had things packaged in the blind boxes ready to go and no massive backlog of shipping. These days they don't even bother to do the pre-work in packing them in blind boxes so they have do that process and then fit them into the shipping cue. If there are any high profile games in the cue, this will drop everything else down that is ready to ship. So, expect at least a month delay before they enter the cue unless of course they didn't even have the blind boxes printed and on hand for the packaging... then likely at least two months of a delay minimum.
I think they intentionally stopped pre-packaging blind boxes to help avoid people getting duplicate titles. But the shipping times are still ridiculously slow even knowing they have to assemble blind boxes as they fulfill orders. They clearly need more workers in the warehouse.

I think they intentionally stopped pre-packaging blind boxes to help avoid people getting duplicate titles. But the shipping times are still ridiculously slow even knowing they have to assemble blind boxes as they fulfill orders. They clearly need more workers in the warehouse.
All they'd need to do to prepack is just keep them separated in separate bins by what's inside. They could number the bins and distribute randomly that way so no one got more than one item from the same bin. In lieu of bins they could just reuse the boxes that ps4 games come from Japan in... and then just number the boxes by what's inside.

I loathe LRG at this point but expecting their fulfillment to improve given the insane expense associated with workers, packaging, and the increased shipping costs coming isn't being realistic.

If anything expect them to get slower and raise prices.

All they'd need to do to prepack is just keep them separated in separate bins by what's inside. They could number the bins and distribute randomly that way so no one got more than one item from the same bin. In lieu of bins they could just reuse the boxes that ps4 games come from Japan in... and then just number the boxes by what's inside.
I'm pretty sure that last year, their blind boxes all had a sticker based on what game it was... like all copies of Turok 2 NS were "AA19" or something. So that's how they avoided giving people duplicates.

So yeah, they could easily prepack their blind boxes for shipment but that would take away valuable time to not give a fuck about customer service.

I loathe LRG at this point but expecting their fulfillment to improve given the insane expense associated with workers, packaging, and the increased shipping costs coming isn't being realistic.

If anything expect them to get slower and raise prices.
And outside of LRG's realm is USPS being slower.

Production Status changed to At LRG Warehouse:Titles by Estimated Ship Date:
  • Q1 2022: 121 (49.4%)
  • Q2 2022: 80 (32.7%)
  • TBD: 30 (12.2%)
  • Q3 2022: 6 (2.4%)
  • January 2022: 3 (1.2%)
  • Late January 2022: 2 (0.8%)
  • December 2021: 1 (0.4%)
  • Q3 2021: 1 (0.4%)
  • Q4 2021: 1 (0.4%)
Titles by Production Status:
  • In Production: 244 (89.1%)
  • At LRG Warehouse: 28 (10.2%)
  • Pre-production: 2 (0.7%)
Titles by Shipping update from our distro partners:
  • “This release is currently being held up at the US port. We anticipate these items to be released from customs shortly, followed shortly by delivery to the LRG warehouse for final shipping.”: 1 (100.0%)
Titles by Shipping update from our distro partners for Mega Man:
  • The Wily Wars: 1 (100.0%)

I finally received my New Year's 2021 order over the weekend. I put in the replacement disc for Game Tengoku that I had added to my order that included the original game, and the Tatsujin character is still locked! Did no one test the master to make sure all the DLC was unlocked before it was printed? That means they reprinted all these discs just to unlock one more character. Oy!

I finally received my New Year's 2021 order over the weekend. I put in the replacement disc for Game Tengoku that I had added to my order that included the original game, and the Tatsujin character is still locked! Did no one test the master to make sure all the DLC was unlocked before it was printed? That means they reprinted all these discs just to unlock one more character. Oy!
Exclusive to Paradise Box.

This is correct. Homura was the character that was supposed to be on the standard discs and wasn't, Tatsujin was intended to be on the CE disc only.

Wait, what? There was a collectors edition that only had all the characters unlocked? I didn't know that. Also, what the fuck is that?

SERIOUSLY LRG, WHAT'S THE POINT IN FOREVER PHYSICAL?!

I have two orders left. Just two. I can't wait to be done with this company.

Well, outside the inevitable physical release of the as of yet announced NGPC Vol. 2 because SNK can't choose another company to physically publish their games over here! 

bread's done
Back