Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Fuuuuuck I knew it. Of course they're using LRG for Contra. At least the Ninja Turtles is regular retail (with a very overpriced, LRG-esque collectors edition).

All this speculative talk and I'm just wondering what's the best way to insure my collection. Most everything I read says that insurance companies don't seriously consider games to be collections worth value, like classic cars or older comics. I just hit 4k games officially yesterday and just thought "man, one fire and all this is gone".
Yeah, they're really not worth all that much value. Even the most valuable of classic games take close to 30 years to properly appreciate. A lot of it is related to just how young and turbulent the games industry is. People have been making cars for quite some time. The video game industry is only properly around 40 years old, and has seen an enormous amount of change and fluctuation in that time. It's not really good for speculative collecting. While I might enjoy game collecting, I've never tried to resell, as its just not a good way to make money. It's just a hobby I enjoy because I love video games.

I never said that. I was responding to another guy's post about NES games and said that Xbox games are less collectible than even NES games. Where did you read me saying that NES games aren't collectible? It's certainly not in the post you quoted...

Also, is it true that BBY is done with LRG? If so I'm pissed because they were supposed to be stocking the Castlevania games and I believe Panzer Dragoon on PS4.
Not sure what is going on here. Recent LRG games have shown up randomly in quantities that aren't going to sell out for awhile. And yet the smaller releases that used to last a month or less have all but disappeared.

Yeah, they're really not worth all that much value. Even the most valuable of classic games take close to 30 years to properly appreciate. A lot of it is related to just how young and turbulent the games industry is. People have been making cars for quite some time. The video game industry is only properly around 40 years old, and has seen an enormous amount of change and fluctuation in that time. It's not really good for speculative collecting. While I might enjoy game collecting, I've never tried to resell, as its just not a good way to make money. It's just a hobby I enjoy because I love video games.
Not a good way to make money lol? That's not a serious post is it? You have guys like chase after the right price, phoenix resale,me ect doing it full time.

I don't think you comprehend how much games are.

Anyway to the insurance guy there's a handful that will insurance collectibles but they will want every single item valued and with photos. I don't have the retro games insured but my switch collection is at 35k. I'd suggest you take the time and use game eye. That will show a base value. If you are in Florida PM me and I'll set you on the right path.

Game collecting was a much better hobby before opportunists like Phoenix Resale jumped on the bandwagon and spend all day buying up every cheap game so they can flip it online. Smartphones and hipsters who jumped on the gaming bandwagon once gaming become a socially acceptable hobby killed game hunting.
I hear you. I'd probably be more upset about it if the emulation scene weren't flourishing. As it stands, now is the perfect time to play through the backlog, load up your favorite device with roms, and wait for the bubble to pop. Scalpers will abandon ship real fast if there aren't any buyers.

I got my order of Haven and Quake today. Both trading cards are low number series 3 cards with a new design. I hadn’t heard anything about series 2 ending, so I’m guessing these are some of the first games to be series 3 cards.

You should really browse prices on pricecharting.com; I think you'll be surprised.

Game collecting was a much better hobby before opportunists like Phoenix Resale jumped on the bandwagon and spend all day buying up every cheap game so they can flip it online. Smartphones and hipsters who jumped on the gaming bandwagon once gaming become a socially acceptable hobby killed game hunting.
Somewhere around 4-5 years ago all the YouTube channels went from “look what game I found for my collection!” to stuff like Phoenix resale with “look what I found that I can sell for a fat profit!”.

This also turned the hipster game collector YouTube viewers to hipster resellers. Nothing against Phoenix resale etc, they’re making a legit living, but it’s a shame that’s where the collecting culture is going - reselling.

Somewhere around 4-5 years ago all the YouTube channels went from “look what game I found for my collection!” to stuff like Phoenix resale with “look what I found that I can sell for a fat profit!”.

This also turned the hipster game collector YouTube viewers to hipster resellers. Nothing against Phoenix resale etc, they’re making a legit living, but it’s a shame that’s where the collecting culture is going - reselling.
Collecting culture in general shifted from collecting to reselling years ago, that's a done deal and is pervasive in everything now. You can thank sneaker heads for that one.

Oh man, more Shantae bullshit.
More skateboards LOL, who buys this stuff. Also no mention of the Acrylic base part for the larger statue in the advertisement? None of the games have even shipped yet and by the time 5 rolls along still nothing will have shipped.

Ugh I freaking hate how they always include the steelbooks in higher tier prices. I really don't wanna pay 174.99 for the steelbook with game this is what makes me mad with lgr

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don’t understand acrylic standees. Are these things people actually buy and display? It’s just an image printed on a thick piece of plastic that is held upright by another piece of plastic right?

I just don’t understand acrylic standees. Are these things people actually buy and display? It’s just an image printed on a thick piece of plastic that is held upright by another piece of plastic right?
Yep, not a fan. Then again, I'm into action figures...why haven't they made Shantae action figures? There's those standees, there's a Funko Pop, there's stuffed ones...there are models you can build...but just no straight up action figures, at least that I know of.

Ugh I freaking hate how they always include the steelbooks in higher tier prices. I really don't wanna pay 174.99 for the steelbook with game this is what makes me mad with lgr
I used to get mad at this kind of stuff, now I'm somewhat thankful they burned me out completely for collecting some of the stuff I used to be into. Consider letting this be why you stop valuing steelbooks outside of retail releases where they are easier to get free with a game.

Can you imagine a Battletoads collection a la the TMNT one coming out soon from Konami?
I honestly thought there was only one game, and it's already in the Rare Replay collection. Now I'll be heading down a rabbit hole looking into the other games today lol

looks like LRG will be the one to release Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge

After its digital release, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge will score physical editions courtesy of Limited Run Games in the U.S., Merge Games in Europe, Happinet Corporation in Japan, and H2 Interactive across Asia.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge - Digital launch this summer! - Dotemu
giphy.gif

looks like LRG will be the one to release Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge

After its digital release, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge will score physical editions courtesy of Limited Run Games in the U.S., Merge Games in Europe, Happinet Corporation in Japan, and H2 Interactive across Asia.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge - Digital launch this summer! - Dotemu
It's Dotemu, I'd wager they'll end up doing a retail release after the LRG anyway, just like they did with Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap and Streets of Rage 4.

It's Dotemu, I'd wager they'll end up doing a retail release after the LRG anyway, just like they did with Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap and Streets of Rage 4.
If this is the case then just release a standard version in regular retail and then let Limited Run handle the collector's editions. That would be ideal.

Quote from Josh on Twitter about Shredder's Revenge and release dates

"Our release will be a distributed release that will be available at major US retailers like Amazon. It will ship and go up for preorder at the same time as the other international releases."

LRG Josh confirmed on Twitter that this will get a regular retail release as well. It's a distribution title for them. I do anticipate LRG having exclusive special editions though.

Always good to hear physical media getting wide retail releases rather than small runs through more niche publishers.  TMNT is too big a license.  After even Konami opted for a wider retail release, I suppose I thought Shredder's Revenge was a shoe-in for a retail release.  Glad to see that is what will happen.

Very excited for both of these titles.  Day ones for me.

Yeah I will get both Turtles games. I'd rather not play $15 + MSRP price with $5 shipping of LRG. That generally sucks and adds up for any orders.

I'm disappointed that LRG covers are censored compared to the import version. Look at this for example. The censored LRG cover:

NPCSV1-SW_1024x1024.png

The original, uncensored foreign region covers. Even the PEGI one is uncensored.

45044_full.jpg

neogeo-pocket-color-selection-vol1-snk-nintendo-switch-japan-ver-new.jpg

The Metal Slug characters were removed on the LRG version I'm assuming because of the weapons and for some reason they also went out of their way and covered out the female character's chests on the cover as well. Either way I'll check out the foreign versions first before I go with LRG just to make sure they didn't alter the original artwork.
I know the ESRB has censored box art before. Google Dead Island, Risen 2, or Dead of Alive Dimensions for three examples. Perhaps here too?

I know the ESRB has censored box art before. Google Dead Island, Risen 2, or Dead of Alive Dimensions for three examples. Perhaps here too?
ESRB doesn't allow a character on cover art to point a gun outwards. LRG literally had to reprint the cover art for Metal Slug 3 as a result and some copies got through with the recalled cover and now command a premium at resale.

Why the heck is there so much garbage for a cover. I can understand if the game is missing CGs or censored some other way, but I don't play box covers. Play games however you want but PLAY games.

After about a week with it, I've gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the NGPC CE. It's the only collector's edition I've ever bought from LRG, but the attention to detail is fantastic. The way they recreated the old style game packaging is spot on. They even included a slipcover with the Switch branding on it and the ESRB rating on the left side (the required standard now) so they could keep the ESRB logo on the right side of the actual box cover like it was on original NGPC boxes. I really only bought the CE for Jeremy Parish's book, so it's a nice surprise that the rest of it is worthwhile too. Plus it was only $20 or $30 more than the *digital* version of the game.

I'm usually pretty critical of LRG these days, but credit where it's due and all that.

Why the heck is there so much garbage for a cover. I can understand if the game is missing CGs or censored some other way, but I don't play box covers. Play games however you want but PLAY games.
I'm all for discussion on cover art and whatnot when it comes to what looks good vs bad, but this much much emotion on censorship seems kind of blown out of proportion. Is your world really all that impacted just because you can't see Morrigan and Mai's cleavage in all it's glory on the cover of a game?

I swear, people are way too spoiled these days. Back in the day, I had to fap to pause screens while Chun-Li does her kicks. On a STANDARD DEFINITION TV. These days, you have rule 34 content that looks better than XB1/PS4 graphics. But nah, that's not enough... lets get upset over cleavage censorship on a cover.

I'm all for discussion on cover art and whatnot when it comes to what looks good vs bad, but this much much emotion on censorship seems kind of blown out of proportion. Is your world really all that impacted just because you can't see Morrigan and Mai's cleavage in all it's glory on the cover of a game?

I swear, people are way too spoiled these days. Back in the day, I had to fap to pause screens while Chun-Li does her kicks. On a STANDARD DEFINITION TV. These days, you have rule 34 content that looks better than XB1/PS4 graphics. But nah, that's not enough... lets get upset over cleavage censorship on a cover.
Ahhhh so THAT'S who buys Udon's Art of Capcom Street Fighter Swimsuit full color hardcover books! :bouncy:

51rgiTl7I0L._SX362_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I wasn't trying to go crazy, although I guess on NA releases you can't have guns pointing forward and big boobed ladies like on that Dragon Girl Maid one (forgot the name read some of the manga a while back). I do think some people are taken back more on the oohs and ahs of collecting like steelbooks (fine) or certain covers (meh), while forgetting that these are games that are meant to be played. I do apologize if I came off too mean or anything. People can waste their money on anything. Heck I wasted plenty on anime figures back in the day. I sold like 1/4 of that collection,  but some are aight. Nonetheless since this is an LRG thread, I'm glad when they get less, because of their markups, but I still buy from them now and then.

This is a strawman argument. No one brought up sex until you two guys did. The point is that the original covers are being altered because someone at a company who localizes them tries to make the decision for other people what they should or should not see based on their own subjective opinion. But about the Street Fighter art book - who cares if someone wants to enjoy pictures of beautiful animated women in swimsuits? Why does the female body intimate you? We had games like DOA Xtreme and even True Crime: Streets of LA with weapons directly on the cover back in 2003 and there was no cover censorship back then. This is a more recent thing based on the subjective opinions of a few employees at a company trying to decide for millions of people what they should be allowed to see or enjoy or not.
No one was talking to you, kid. :D/

I live in America and Florida the greatest two places in the world. I have so much time and money I damn well have nothing better to do then argue about censorship of any kind.

We must rise up and complain on Reddit about this travesty

bread's done
Back