Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I'm dying to see an unboxing video of this collector's edition. Still haven't seen anything online yet.
Looking at mine closer it's like the twitter pictures only worse. The tiny meat boy figure actually punctured through the plastic all together. It also looks like the figure has a big ink pen mark on the figure itself. I don't care enough to return it as I want the game, just kind of ticked off like the poster of that video in being forced to pay all that extra money for a damaged figure, meat tray, and poster. I'll probably just give the figure to my kid and throw the rest of the crappy extras away.

There are apparently people into those cards. Now I'm thinking I could sell mine for $1000.
I like the cards and keep them in a LRG binder I bought when they first offered it but I'd never buy packs on them.

They are a nice freebie when you order a standard release of a game.

If it isn't MTG card or super sexy gravure model cards I'm not into it. Speaking of cards, remember when Steam cards were a big deal. Oh how the bundle fodder killed that value.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it isn't MTG card or super sexy gravure model cards I'm not into it.
mvM4Cn4.png

I still believe that LRG is an over leveraged company that needs to have constant influx of cash (see cards, lol) to maintain being solvent due to the long delays and production woes.

Or perhaps on all that warehouse space they lease due to the "not so limited" nature of their runs.   Having enough back stock to open a permanent store (not a popup) after many "blowout" sales is pretty interesting.  More so when they sold pretty rare games there (the ones going for several hundred on the aftermarket).

I dunno, I'm cynical.  Will only buy their stuff at Best Buy or on the aftermarket. 

And that Vita CE for Super Meatboy... absolute garbage; normally I'm not that hyperbolic, but an Amibo reject on some standard issue packing trays?  Totally worth $30+ extra...

I received my Super Meat Boy Vita Collector’s Edition today and I must say, this was a bad packaging design. The presentation looks cheap and the figure came out of the inner packaging leaving it loose in the package. I’ve looked on eBay and seems that most arrived like this. I actually wanted to just display the whole box on my shelf but now I’m just going to open it and put the figure with my other small figures. 

I passed on the Boy and His Blob repro for NES. That just wasn't worth it for the price. But they've got me for a re-release of the Wii game. That game was a legit solid effort from WayForward. Having a re-released version that runs on my Switch is something I would want.

I'll stick to the standard edition, but that's just par for the course right now. I am not well-off enough to be dropping coin on collector's editions. I only spring for that very rarely. From the sound of how the Meat Boy CEs are being received, that has been the proper policy to adopt.

I still believe that LRG is an over leveraged company that needs to have constant influx of cash (see cards, lol) to maintain being solvent due to the long delays and production woes.

Or perhaps on all that warehouse space they lease due to the "not so limited" nature of their runs. Having enough back stock to open a permanent store (not a popup) after many "blowout" sales is pretty interesting. More so when they sold pretty rare games there (the ones going for several hundred on the aftermarket).

I dunno, I'm cynical. Will only buy their stuff at Best Buy or on the aftermarket.

And that Vita CE for Super Meatboy... absolute garbage; normally I'm not that hyperbolic, but an Amibo reject on some standard issue packing trays? Totally worth $30+ extra...
I mean, i think everyone in this thread would agree with you.

Or perhaps on all that warehouse space they lease due to the "not so limited" nature of their runs. Having enough back stock to open a permanent store (not a popup) after many "blowout" sales is pretty interesting. More so when they sold pretty rare games there (the ones going for several hundred on the aftermarket).

I dunno, I'm cynical. Will only buy their stuff at Best Buy or on the aftermarket.

And that Vita CE for Super Meatboy... absolute garbage; normally I'm not that hyperbolic, but an Amibo reject on some standard issue packing trays? Totally worth $30+ extra...
I’m a cynic so I don’t understand how people keep being able to afford their releases.

I also wonder if the crashing of the crypto market will affect them. Feels like there definitely would be an intersection of people who were making big money on crypto and buying overpriced limited video game releases.

so i just bought a boy and his blob for the switch and that cat fps a few days ago. Shipping is a little too high imo

I’m a cynic so I don’t understand how people keep being able to afford their releases.

I also wonder if the crashing of the crypto market will affect them. Feels like there definitely would be an intersection of people who were making big money on crypto and buying overpriced limited video game releases.
Maybe I'm too much of a cynic, but I think their core market are refined hoarders (because they likely take good care of what they get) ... and of course resellers. I'd say speculators too, but most of them are just hoarders that have convinced themselves that what they are buying is of value and they will make money on the games in the long run even though they never (or rarely ever) sell anything off.

I'm guessing it's mostly debt, given credit card debt is at the highest levels ever.

LRG needs to switch over to strictly Amazon for their orders. Just received my Martha Is Dead, fastest arrival from date of order I've ever experienced with LRG.

Getting really lucky from Collector's boosters. The top left standard version is a bit under $40. The other alternate art versions are more expensive. I think Card Kingdom is one of the better choices.
Sorry, my attempted joke came across poorly in text.

Was joking that I wanted some of your gravure cards, and showing you what I've been working on in MTG the last couple weeks.

Maybe I'm too much of a cynic, but I think their core market are refined hoarders (because they likely take good care of what they get) ... and of course resellers. I'd say speculators too, but most of them are just hoarders that have convinced themselves that what they are buying is of value and they will make money on the games in the long run even though they never (or rarely ever) sell anything off.
You see the same thing with sneaker/clothing collectors. That "sell off" day never comes and it eventually just becomes a hoard. Monetary value is worthless if it never leaves your house after delivery.

You see the same thing with sneaker/clothing collectors. That "sell off" day never comes and it eventually just becomes a hoard. Monetary value is worthless if it never leaves your house after delivery.
Wise words. That so many people don't understand. It's not worth anything if you can't sell it.

long diatribe ahead:

My dad tried to teach me this lesson with baseball cards when I was 10 years old, and it led to a few heated and upsetting arguments. He'd take me to the card store and tell me to try to sell cards to the shop. To show that you can only get a small fraction of their supposed value, if they were even interested in buying them at all. It was a proper lesson, which I didn't take heed at the time. But learned the hard way in my teens and 20s.

I'm still amazed at how many fully grown 40+ men I encounter among all of my collectors forums whom have still never grasped or learned this lesson. They clearly have not sold anything. They don't realize the incredible cost of fees & shipping, seller liability, and now new 2022 tax reporting. In spite of valuation publications having vested financial incentive to make their goods and dealings appear more valuable on paper than they are in reality. Those sources have now denigrated into Youtube pushermen. People think things have value because some source says it has value. They also point to sold listings and think that's an accurate bottom line number. They have no clue.

I've been around long enough, and have sold enough collectors items, to know that (most) individual LRG items are not going to have good longterm value when they are no longer that 'hot new thang'. 90% of stuff has its value peak near or during release week, when people are searching for the term, and trying to acquire it. Limited run games was an interesting concept 5 years ago when no one was doing it, and yet that stuff still isn't even highly sought after. It's only other people just like you buying and collecting the stuff. Spending money not making it. All fads turn into Beanie Babies eventually. There are thousands of independent games being printed now. The majority of goods will never appreciate in value after the new hotness window closes.

People don't understand that seller fees are designed in a fashion to take as much of your profit margin away from themselves as humanly possible, while still getting people to use their services under incorrect accounting. You have to sell most items for double to earn any semblance of a profit. Any veteran knows you have to sell a $100 vg CE item for $200 online for it to even be worth your time. And now there are new taxes... All these forces have combined to eat up almost all profit you could earn from selling online. Everybody else gets a slice of the pie. The government, Ebay, Paypal, and USPS gets all of your profits. 'Double' is close to the break even point now.

Hope you know how to sell local. (The professionals don't; every. single. local retro games store here has gone out of business.) For most collectable shops that's half (50%) btw under best-case-scenario. That's 'buylist' pricing at its best. In store credit. People also don't pay Ebay prices for craigslist transactions. They could simply shop online, have choices for condition, and have buyer protection.

People don't get it. They hoard. And spout off online how much they think their stuff is worth. They don't even have a Laserjet printer at home. Its 20 :1

True that. My sister has an Ebay store she's been selling from for years, and yes keeps a running inventory, sales and whatever else for her taxes. She wont sell stuff for super cheap and will just donate/trade locally/or sometimes keep things I've given her over the years. She takes a cut of the sales (it's a lot of work I just gave her some inventory over the years), but many things aren't worth as much. Stuff that's easy to ship like Vita games, since they're tiny, are easier to get some profit out of. The key of all of it is, if no one is buying (like those worthless NFTs, but that's for another day), then stuff isn't worth anything. I've had some super ultra limited board game Kickstarter (being sarcastic here), and it could barely move. Same with some very old anime figures. I just took whatever I could get from them and told my sister if it doesn't sell just get rid of it. So yeah, look for local traders/buyers, sell stuff actually worth a lot if it's gathering dust (need to sell my Breach & Clear Vita. I don't care about this game), and try to enjoy what you have, while pruning what doesn't matter and feels like it's just there for whatever. You'll be a lot happier and I know I'm cutting down masses of junk I've gotten over the years. I hope to get for some 50% of their value, and whatever doesn't move usually goodwill, salvation army, this lady from Juarez, will gladly take it.

Just a not that some retro stuff is actually selling very easily, and is worth selling like some 90s clothes, such as old band shirts, retro puffer jackets, retro clothes of certain eras (need to research) and just people are nostalgic for. I think now is a great time to sell games from the SNES-PS2 eras, as the prices are very high for desirable titles. LRG stuff can sell, like the Super Meat Boy Vita game itself, but most wont give a shiz about the CE. Some limited editions are just valued more because of stuff that is actually limited, like the Fire Emblem Fates cartridge with all the games. That's my spiel on this subject.

+1 to Nothing-'s diatribe. Selling online is a shitshow now, and the hoarders sitting on collections they think are worth 5-6 figures are in for a rude awakening when(/if) they ever try to liquidate. In addition to everything else mentioned, there's a notable liability that couriers may damage your goods (regardless of how well you pack them) and that buyers may be assholes (anal about condition, attempting scams, etc.). Before the tax law you'd be lucky to get 70% of the item's sale price after shipping and various fees, and now it'll be even lower (assuming you don't intend to commit tax fraud).

Thankfully I have sold off most of my big collections (NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16, 2600/vcs, Dreamcast, Saturn, 32x, original GB other than zelda/mario) years ago. It's mostly more modern console stuff that remains. So I'm not as hopeless that I'll never do it. I know full well what it takes and thankfully what I have left to go is a few hundred games rather than a few thousand.

I like to also chime in about a lot of these people vastly overestimate the vaule of what they have.  Here's a very recent example.  A acquaintance through my brother who told him I'm a collector contacted me as he was looking to unload a bunch of games.  They had a set of 20 games they wanted $350 bucks for.  The problem?  17 of them are sport games from over the years with a lot duplicates & the remaining three were pos shovel ware.  When they showed me I laughed out loud & they got pissed about it.  Got the usual what's that for line & I explained that they were worthless.  They had 3 copies of Madden 08 for pete's sake.  Expecting $350 for this lot was ludicrous & they weren't getting going to get that, they weren't even going to get $3.50.  They couldn't understand that concept.  I suggested they either give them away to someone or strip everything out of them & sell the empty cases for a few cents as they might get something for those, which was doubtful as they were also beat to a plup.

They huffed & puffed & pulled the "Well I'll find someone who wants to pay what they're worth." I replied with good luck with that.

LRG needs to switch over to strictly Amazon for their orders. Just received my Martha Is Dead, fastest arrival from date of order I've ever experienced with LRG.
An update on this. So I got home and opened the envelope to discover that they sent me the PS4 version, not the PS5 as I ordered. Despite the little blurb at the bottom of the cover saying that a free PS5 upgrade is available, this is a lie. Putting the PS4 version into my PS5 shows the Full Game at Full price and no way to get the upgrade.

Yeah it's the fallacy of I want to get back what I paid for it. Just like the old saying that when you drive the new car off the lot it depreciates, it's the same for new items. Once it's used it's value goes way down, and even for new stuff it still has to have demand. That's why it's usually best to sell/trade games shortly after they come out. They'll be worth something then, and hopefully you got some fun out of it, or got rid of it right away when it sucks. That's why I love Steams 2 hour policy for refunds. It pisses off the developers, but if I'm not having much fun when I play a game for say an hour, I want the refund. The key of anything is over time it's way more likely to go down in value. People barely care about phones that came out last year. Every now and then nostalgia hits and prices inflate, such as my point that SNES-PS2 games are in very high demand right now. I would have laughed too and offered them a $1 if I needed the cases. People just don't know how to value things anymore.

A big example I learned was Hot Wheels I got when I was probably 10 (many years ago) and gave them to my sis to sell. I wasn't expecting much, but she was able to sell the whole lot for about $30. This was about 15 new in box cars, but like I said there has to be a good demand for it. This also affects people trading stuff. Like I can trade a board game I have that's pretty old, but it may be worth less than $5, so even if I paid $60 for it, it's worth little now. I can't expect a new $60 game for that.

My Super Meat Boy CE came in today and yep, pretty shoddy package. The plastic wrap they used is like super cheap so the weighted figure's base ripped through it. Eventually, it's just going to dislodge from the tray and rattle around inside the box. 

An update on this. So I got home and opened the envelope to discover that they sent me the PS4 version, not the PS5 as I ordered. Despite the little blurb at the bottom of the cover saying that a free PS5 upgrade is available, this is a lie. Putting the PS4 version into my PS5 shows the Full Game at Full price and no way to get the upgrade.
I also received the PS4 version when I had pre ordered the PS5 version back in January. I already put in a return request and, well, now this makes me think I'll just get another PS4 version.

I did a chat with Sony Store about the free upgrade.  They told me to contact the developer, Wired Productions, so I wrote them an e-mail about the PS4 > PS5 upgrade not working.  Waiting for them to see it and write back.  They're probably off due to the weekend.  They're not the only one who dropped the ball on this, the Evil Dead PS4 > PS5 disc upgrade is not working either.  I've got a response back from those devs letting me know they are aware and working on it.

I also got a PS4 version instead of the PS5 one I ordered. The PS5 copies do seem to exist based on eBay listings, but it's weird that the wrong version was sent out to so many people.

I also got a PS4 version instead of the PS5 one I ordered. The PS5 copies do seem to exist based on eBay listings, but it's weird that the wrong version was sent out to so many people.
I ordered one PS4 copy and one PS5 copy off Amazon and was sent one PS4 copy and one PS5 copy. However, I do not know if the PS4 copy I was sent was from my PS5 version order, and vice versa.

Both were floaters of course, but I expected that with Amazon and their shitty bubble mailers.

I ordered one PS4 copy and one PS5 copy off Amazon and was sent one PS4 copy and one PS5 copy. However, I do not know if the PS4 copy I was sent was from my PS5 version order, and vice versa.

Both were floaters of course, but I expected that with Amazon and their shitty bubble mailers.
Unless you threw out the packaging already, you could check the tracking numbers against each order to know for sure which copy is from which order.

Honestly for the trading card packs, if you like them, it's not crazily expensive. I mean I understand it's cardboard and it costs them cents to make, but cards are usually like $3 - $5 on eBay if you're interested in a specific one. So $6 for 5 cards seems reasonable.

The worst part is the number of cards printed... 80? If you get a booster box you're getting 216 cards in a box and an average of 2.5 of each card. Who would possibly want that? Would be much cooler if they had some really old leftovers and there was a possibility at getting some of 500+ cards through the history of LRG. Everyone's just going to get the same cards, whatever market there is for them will be flooded, and these won't be worth the cardboard they are printed on.

Plus I buy a couple of packs of sports/Pokemon/magic cards, I have a chance at a "chase" pull. A $50 mythic rare, a game used jersey card, a holo Charizard. What's the chase here? You hopefully get a $5 gold card?

I only ordered the PS5 version and they delivered the PS4 one. I got my replacement copy today and that was correctly the PS5 version. Just weird that it happened to a bunch of people for the same item.

Re: stuff

I limit my collecting not to cost, but to space.  I have a small game cabinet in the living room for modern stuff and an okay amount of small space in my office for retro.

I don't collect carts (DS, 3DS, Vita being the exceptions), complete collections, and limit duplicates to very, very select few games; even digital vs. physical, only keeping the digital, if the physical is insanely priced.

I only buy lots of new games when there is a Walmart clearance I know I can instantly turn that into profit at GameStop for games I want. Otherwise, I have a heavily curated collection of relatively modern stuffs.  Under 600 games (still a lot!) that I constantly Mari Kondo the ever living crap out of...

I have a local game store that I frequent that flips anything nerdy, so I bring them old figures, imports, and games, and they either give me cash or games.  I am not making a profit, but I turn old stuff into things I want to keep (like a lot of Switch, PS4, PS3 stuff into a clean copy of Koudelka!).

It's okay to collect, and it's okay to let go.  But speculating on the stuff is dangerous.

Received my PS5 replacement for Martha is Dead today. How did they manage to screw this up so badly? I really thought I was a one off when I came to this thread to post about it.

Received my PS5 replacement for Martha is Dead today. How did they manage to screw this up so badly? I really thought I was a one off when I came to this thread to post about it.
This happens on a somewhat regular basis with Amazon when there is both a PS5 and a PS4 version of something. I've had it happen 3-4 times in the past year and it's always niche titles. Not sure if the distributor makes the error or if it happens at the actual distribution center.

I moved about 2 years and I misplaced all my reward tickets that they use to give us with purchases. I just found them and wondering if LRG still honors them. I have about 150 of them and they’re all tied to my account.

bread's done
Back