Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Unfortunately Mecho Tales is #34. You can see it on the spine. The web site listing you are using is just showing this is the 87th release from Limited Run. That includes collector's Editions and PS4 games etc. They didn't really do a good job of cataloging their releases.

I'm going to keep searching to try and figure it out.

Edit: It looks like this maybe an error on the list and numbering of the list. The only game I'm seeing that was released around this time was Teslagrad and that wasn't a numbered LRG release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately Mecho Tales is #34. You can see it on the spine. The web site listing you are using is just showing this is the 87th release from Limited Run. That includes collector's Editions and PS4 games etc. They didn't really do a good job of cataloging their releases.

I'm going to keep searching to try and figure it out.
Just checked my shelf for you. London Detective Mysteria is #87.

That guy's numbering is way off toward the end now that I double check his list against my shelf.

Just checked my shelf for you. London Detective Mysteria is #87.

That guy's numbering is way off toward the end now that I double check his list against my shelf.
Thank you.
https://forum.nexgam...higen-releases/
While I think that list is great. I think the numbering is off.

Plus they didn't always sell the games in the numbered order of the spines.

I suppose I should've known better than to trust LRG's site with all of the data quality issues they have. :D

But after checking my shelf I can confirm what false said above - Mecho Tales is labeled as 34 on the spine, London Detective Mysteria as 87.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1560117210181275648?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1560117210181275648%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

For the uninformed, Embracer Group has these 10 operative subsidiaries:

Amplifier Game Invest, Asmodee, Coffee Stain Holding, Dark Horse Media, DECA Games, Easybrain, Gearbox Entertainment, Koch Media, Saber Interactive and THQ Nordic

Edit: so good news or bad news, imo hard to say

off topic for the LRG thread, but in the string of acquisitions news, I feel this is worth mentioning regardless. they're also acquiring IP rights to LOTR and the Hobbit literary works

Wthhh

I wonder what that acquisition means? I just want my Castlevania collectors edition I’ve been waiting a year and a half for and I’m out. I thought the LRG brand was on its way down…. half the posts under their social media ads are of people complaining about unshipped/delayed orders.

Please please please gut the company for its prestige contracts with Konami and LucasArts and throw away what's left. Please.

off topic for the LRG thread, but in the string of acquisitions news, I feel this is worth mentioning regardless. they're also acquiring IP rights to LOTR and the Hobbit literary works
Wthhh
As I understand it they don't own the actually books but do take over ownership of the movies, games, Netflix series, etc etc

Josh and Doug will most likely be gone in about two years.

And the games will no longer be "limited" you'll see how this plays got.

They secured the bag and won at life congrats.

I mean, kudos to them for taking this hail mary on the brink of closing Mighty Rabbit... and running it... building it up... and now getting their ultimate sale.

Josh and Doug will most likely be gone in about two years.

And the games will no longer be "limited" you'll see how this plays got.
That doesn't sound like a negative in any way.

As I understand it they don't own the actually books but do take over ownership of the movies, games, Netflix series, etc etc
Not exactly. They acquired the rights to the book IP which likely means that whatever agreements were in place for those rights with third parties (which likely includes a very long term book publishing deal among other agreements) remain in place and that going forward, they control new grants of those rights. So, while they may receive some royalty stream for existing projects, they don't actually own or control any of those existing third party projects.

And Hobbit and LOTR are going to be public domain soon, so they only have control for like 30 years.

I mean, kudos to them for taking this hail mary on the brink of closing Mighty Rabbit... and running it... building it up... and now getting their ultimate sale.

That doesn't sound like a negative in any way.
I wonder if Embracer is trying to cut out the middle-man, and will use LRG as distribution for their own games. Not a bad idea. I'm still trying to figure out how they make money, unless the percentage they get from giving their games out for free all the time is really good. That's the only way I get and choose to get games published under their umbrella. There's no point in paying for them.

I wonder if Embracer is trying to cut out the middle-man, and will use LRG as distribution for their own games. Not a bad idea. I'm still trying to figure out how they make money, unless the percentage they get from giving their games out for free all the time is really good. That's the only way I get and choose to get games published under their umbrella. There's no point in paying for them.
I would think they'll keep things as is unless they start seeing the house of cards begin to fall as the numbers go down.

But the main thing they wanted from the deal is the game engine that makes porting classics over really easy. They have big plans on bringing more classics back and this saves them from having to license the technology or develop it themselves.

Well, with that news I’m even more pessimistic about them ever delivering the complete Vita set bonus than ever. Watch for little batches to pop up on EBay now for it…

The other way around would make more sense. Surely whoever Embracer uses to distribute games in the US would be competent at shipping LRGs games then they are. :razz:

As far as Carbon Engine, it's been used on two games I'm aware of: River City Girls 0 and Shantae. Anecdotally, I heard both games were buggy, too. It seems like a big risk to buy LRG just for an engine that has such scant proof.

As far as Carbon Engine, it's been used on two games I'm aware of: River City Girls 0 and Shantae. Anecdotally, I heard both games were buggy, too. It seems like a big risk to buy LRG just for an engine that has such scant proof.
I don't have any inside information here, but I will say that having worked in mergers and acquisitions earlier in my career, there are times when someone within a company will really want to acquire another smaller company for personal reasons and then realizes that they need something to provide to senior management or shareholders or the board to justify the acquisition. A game engine could be something like that. The reality is that Embracer already has the ability to do basically everything that LRG is doing and this frankly strikes me more as a vanity purchase than something that is really going to yield greater corporate profitability. Ultimately, LRG seems to generate a lot of revenue, but if what they have stated publicly is accurate, their profit margins aren't huge and their costs for labor and other expenses are higher than other similar companies. I do think you're probably going to see some changes like outsourcing of fulfillment and customer service, fewer SKUs and other typical corporate efforts to streamline the business down the road.

Shantae had horrible pixel scaling and a save data bug, and RCG0 had a rare softlock they fixed, but the latter was honestly one of the best emulated releases I'd played in a long time. Box art 3D Models, great display options, and a well done translation with 2 options. I'm definitely more hyped for Carbon stuff than anything LRG does in general, and how Rendering Ranger R2 turns out will decide if I'll support them on that front or not (ofc, digitally, still never buying physical from em again)

I'm out of the country so haven't really followed any news but I thought it was huge when Embracer acquired the LotR franchise, had no clue about them acquiring LRG until now.

So many questions... mainly, what's their plan it with, what's gonna happen to the store, and are they assuming the liabilities for all the unfinished/unshipped games?

River City Girls 1 & 2 is coming out in Japan for PS4, PS5, and Switch. Pre order at playasia for only $35.99.
Did 2 ever get announced for a English physical release (PAL version or via LRG)?

3a7.jpg

Right after the Japanese 1+2 w/ English announcement.  Yea, that's a no, dawg.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1404530594067980290?s=20&t=ZleMfPqGUggU5OYXYi6CLw[/size]
Ha ha ha ha I love the timing. Pay extra 10 to LRG (factor in their shipping) and wait another 6 months for just one game,
Or get both games for 10 cheaper and 6 months earlier. Time to rub LRGs nose in this ;)

So many questions... mainly, what's their plan it with, what's gonna happen to the store, and are they assuming the liabilities for all the unfinished/unshipped games?
In the short term anyway, it sounds like it's steady-as-she-goes, at least to a point. Josh and Doug are still in their same roles, but the aim is to do it all bigger and better.

I'm assuming that Embracer wants to leverage LRG's customer relationships to sell more niche newer games from their studios and (especially!) archive-type titles, perhaps even on LRG's Carbon Engine, directly to customers. Embracer has a staggeringly large back catalog that could keep LRG going for ages, in addition to the sorts of titles they're releasing now. And since Embracer owns those IPs -- so less in the way of licensing costs -- the margins look even better.

In the short term anyway, it sounds like it's steady-as-she-goes, at least to a point. Josh and Doug are still in their same roles, but the aim is to do it all bigger and better.
Acquisitions typically come with a retention clause on leadership for a year so as to not spook investors. So likely they got their golden parachutes on and waiting to pull the cord next August, 2023.

I would anticipate them doing just enough not to rock the boat, if they're smart, such that they can move on to something else or just sit on their mountain of money.

Acquisitions typically come with a retention clause on leadership for a year so as to not spook investors. So likely they got their golden parachutes on and waiting to pull the cord next August, 2023.
While that's certainly true in general, Embracer has been mostly content to let their acquisitions keep doing their own thing with little corporate interference. More like collecting baseball cards rather than "pull de strinkgs!" marionettes. I suspect it'll come down more to what Josh and Doug want to do next.

I suspect we are going to see reprints of popular titles, without the lrg numbers via an embracer subsidiary. Technically it would not be a lrg reprint. I suspect they are buying the relationships/track record with developers more than anything else.

While that's certainly true in general, Embracer has been mostly content to let their acquisitions keep doing their own thing with little corporate interference. More like collecting baseball cards rather than "pull de strinkgs!" marionettes. I suspect it'll come down more to what Josh and Doug want to do next.
We all know what they want to do next; bitch on social media and license others late 80s, early 90s schlock in order to "obtain goodwill from publishers to get better licenses in the future!"

I would anticipate them doing just enough not to rock the boat, if they're smart, such that they can move on to something else or just sit on their mountain of money.
Maybe that's why they finally started shipping stuff? I just got my 3rd shipment notification and my other two shipments were actually in transit/delivered within like 5 days vs the 10-14 days it normally takes. Getting three shipments from them in 1 month is mind boggling.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1562126843364474880?s=20&t=smm5T96xPkZrrdsdy-MXkA
Ugh... RIP my wallet. I so wish I didn't have such a weakness for this franchise.

Is this version dubbed?
I can't verify but I looked into this best I could and the Japanese release, Korean release, and others for the first game all had English voice acting (from what I read in researching this) ... and didn't have say Japanese voice acting at all. So I think it's a fairly safe bet (since these games are developed by Wayforward, a US company) that they will have English only voice acting for both games on the multipack version.

But I don't have the asia/japanese/etc versions of the first game... so I can't verify. Maybe someone here will confirm this about the first game... though to me it makes a lot of sense that they would only have (or at minimum have) english voice acting.

bread's done
Back