Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
You might be waiting a really long time. Outside of 2.5D platformers, the most 3D game Wayforward has ever made was 'Silent Hill: Book of Memoires' on Vita. They're kind of known for their 2D games.
i mean i'll settle for a 3d game but the last one was a bit of the same old same old.

Love how Doug said on here they were cutting down on the CE's, saving them only for the big titles, and just about every single numbered game they've released since has had a CE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love how Doug said on here they were cutting down on the CE's, saving them only for the big titles, and just about every single numbered game they've released since has had a CE.
It's pretty much a safe assumption to assume every LRG related word out of doug's mouth on a public forum is meant to either cover their asses or get people to stop asking the same questions. His Reddit AMA was nothing but him deflecting or saying "we've been looking into it and plan to announce ___ soon!" regarding stuff like their EU branch, faster shipping/fulfillment times, certain games people wanted physically, etc. For literal *years* now they've said they plan to hire more people, be more transparent, and speed up shipping times, and nothing has budged on any of that outside of some blog posts about ETAs for popular items.

I don't doubt they will cut back on CEs and stop the 100+ dollar ones for a bit, but I think that's less due to them feeling nice about it and more because they really didn't sell as well as they used to: the javascript page source numbers seem to have been close enough of a range to what stuff sold on the site, seeing how Pogs (an item i noticed didnt do so hot) were outright stated by josh to not have done as well as they hoped, and have pretty much stopped. Skate decks also weren't doing so good in numbers, and they seem to be slowing down (The Valis Collection II ones i noticed sold under 100 units before preorders closed, which ain't good!), so really it seems to me that LRG will keep making CEs as long as people keep buying em... And I guess the $65 range CEs, as boring as most of them are lately, seem to be what do good enough for them.

Shame it takes 12+ months to make any of them and then they sit in the warehouse for 2+ more months to actually reach anyone. I'm gobsmacked at how several of my friends have told me they still don't have the sunsoft or Jeremy Parish books they ordered months ago, or it took at least a month after ordering for them to ship out. That's pitiful for an in-hand item.

Maybe Doug could focus on getting those in-hand items people bought for christmas and such out the door, rather than bickering with people and trying to debunk aspects that make the company look bad (and sure enough, it seems he never really proved that those javascript numbers were false, just inaccurate since they don't account for cancellations or other stores that order stock from LRG, but they're sure a sign of what does better than others... not to mention the field has been tampered with manually a few times since he started posting here, since I noticed a few games like Skatebird gained 30K in that field during the course of that preorder, lol).

I was able to get in an order for Dead Space the day before the game launched.  Never got a code or any shipping notification for the game lol.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1623020138374041608?s=20&t=J1vkXyjOtmSMA_lVCpnFCw
NES Maniac Mansion is a rather common game, isn't it...? Seems a bit weird to not only announce this before shipping out the last lucasart retro cart CEs (ZAMN/Ghoul Patrol) still in limbo, but also how this would be a great carbon engine game on consoles yet it's a retro reissue only. Can't see this doing well tbh. (Plus if it were a carbon release, we'd also be able to maybe get the japanese Famicom Maniac Mansion as a bonus, too...)

As an aside for those curious, I peeked at the javascript fields last weekend before some stuff closed for preorder, and yeah, it's still pretty typical lower than MOQ sales figures for stuff: Switch standards still on top, PS4/PS5 not doing so hot with PS5 edging out PS4 more these days, with CEs doing poorly like they've mostly been in the past years. Does not at all surprise me either that one of the games i looked at had the xbox version announced at E3 last year mystically go MIA and not available as a preorder option, when none of the other consoles hit MOQ.

Also a surprise to nobody, their sales were not impacted much, if at all by transphobes angry at them last month since there wasn't any sharp cliff in sales compared to other titles from months prior: just the same low trickle as always. Shockingly, people who went "I'm never buying a game from you ever again!!!!!" didn't actually buy from them much if at all to begin with. (or probably only bought the more wide-reaching stuff like TMNT/Scott Pilgrim)

Part of me kinda lowkey wonders if that's why they're announcing a lot of bigger name stuff lately and games that are waaaay far off even from a digital release (like the carbon engine games, which I'd check out as a curiosity on the eShop, but they aren't up yet with no word on when... same for bill and ted which went up for order last june with not a single peep, and didn't sell MOQ either so I'm guessing that won't lead to future licenses like Josh hoped for. I at least hope they give it another go with a license people care about this time, since say, the Super Star Wars trilogy on Switch would be a big get for a lot of folk). Still, I counted at least 10 SKUS in January going up for preorder, which is way, way too damn much. A far cry from the 2 a month promised in the early parts of the Switch physical release period.

Maniac Mansion is a uncommon cart, it seems, costing an average of ~$25 for a loosie but $115 for a CIB copy.

So there's likely a non-zero demand for a reprint from LucasArts fans.

But two CEs with a bunch of plastic tat?  Like, c'mon.  $100 for likely some folded up posters, a patch, a pin, a keychain, and an OST on CD.

At that point, I'd spend $15 more to get a CIB original for my shelf and not that monster sized box full of landfill-bound add-ons.

If we were to give Doug the benefit of the doubt, they have to clear the channel of already funded CEs, but this stuff has to be giving into market exhaustion, more so seeing that people are still scared about having jobs and affording food...

I got a shipping notification yesterday for Sol Cresta which was holding up my river city girls 0 game. So looks like sol cresta is finally leaving their warehouse.

Maniac mansion rocks but I have no interest in a repro nes cart. They should have just included MM on the Day of the Tentacle they recently released.

On another note, does anyone have the link handy to the spreadsheet that shows how many copies of each game LRG sold? Mostly curious about the open pre-order games.

Maniac mansion rocks but I have no interest in a repro nes cart. They should have just included MM on the Day of the Tentacle they recently released.

On another note, does anyone have the link handy to the spreadsheet that shows how many copies of each game LRG sold? Mostly curious about the open pre-order games.
This is the one they point to in their server: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ko7iYqZDcr5Leq6I_1byupsVcyFjFZDYItTK5qhOwxk/edit#gid=203011349

Maniac Mansion is included in DOTT though. If you find and use a computer in Ed Edisons room you can play the original version of MM. It blew my mind when I found that when playing the remastered version for the first time.

I got a shipping notification yesterday for Sol Cresta which was holding up my river city girls 0 game. So looks like sol cresta is finally leaving their warehouse.
got a shipping notification email (order had sol cresta in it) on 2/6 and got my order in the mail yesterday 2/7 that was fast

NES Maniac Mansion is a rather common game, isn't it...? Seems a bit weird to not only announce this before shipping out the last lucasart retro cart CEs (ZAMN/Ghoul Patrol) still in limbo, but also how this would be a great carbon engine game on consoles yet it's a retro reissue only.
Funny you mention, I literally got an email this morning from DHL (ugh) confirming shipping on my zombies/Ghoul repros. Over a year and a half later it looks like I’ll finally have it soon.

I’m not complete boycott territory for LRG, more very, very selective choices in what I order but I’ll say this, there’s absolutely no way I’m ever buying repros from them again. What a clown show those are for them.

I find it funny that some people actually believed him.
It's amusing to me that some think anything would change after complaining on an internet forum, even if it is to the big guy himself. PR matters, sure, but money matters even more and the only way for them to get the message is to stop buying their CEs and repros. Not referring to you by the way, just speaking generally about some of the posts I have run across during literally years of lurking on this forum and topic.

It's amusing to me that some think anything would change after complaining on an internet forum, even if it is to the big guy himself. PR matters, sure, but money matters even more and the only way for them to get the message is to stop buying their CEs and repros. Not referring to you by the way, just speaking generally about some of the posts I have run across during literally years of lurking on this forum and topic.
The dumbest part is when doug was literally in my dms randomly last summer pestering me to “make it right” and ask “what can we do” despite me publicly tweeting how to do so (better Qc, ETAs, ship times), he acted there like he cared, i saw through it, ignored him, publicly tweeted again when my BMZ3 CE shipped broken in shrinkwrap and how unhappy i was it was packaged that way and his immediate reply was to dm me asking if i wanted a replacement tank

You know, instead of replying to the public thread (i hadnt blocked him then, just muted), answering how that sort of qc fuckup happened (box was flawless and shipped with care, it was during assembly that it broke, and that was blatant), or really publicly pledging in general to fix that, he just tried to deflect and drag it to DMs to sweep under the rug. I made it clear I hadn’t bought more and wasn’t ever going to buy physically from the ever until they fixed every last fulfillment problem, yet he desperately acted like a pest wanting to “win me back”. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s how he generally acts and thus says stuff that make people happy or give hope (like “we’re working on it!” For ship times, qc, etc) to appeal to these sort of FOMO-vulnerable people who’ll keep buying anyhow in the *hopes* that this time, LRG wont take 12 months to ship a standard switch game. Took even me a bit to realize no they just want your money and will say anything to get you to keep gambling with them even if it’s a thing they don’t really plan on doing (2 switch games a month, anyone?)

All we can do is weigh the pros and cons before placing an order.  If there are not enough pros to make it worth buying something, don't buy it.  Right now the only thing I consider are standard versions of games and even then the wait is so long now that i don't bother with anything I'm not already a huge fan of.  Even some things I was a fan of I've opted it's better to go digital or let it go and move on.

Yeah I have just Gotta Protectors and Ender Lillies (waiting on Gotta) and likely wont buy from them again unless they get something I want.

All we can do is weigh the pros and cons before placing an order. If there are not enough pros to make it worth buying something, don't buy it. Right now the only thing I consider are standard versions of games and even then the wait is so long now that i don't bother with anything I'm not already a huge fan of. Even some things I was a fan of I've opted it's better to go digital or let it go and move on.
Pretty much this. If they get a good carbon engine release out, I'll check it out digitally and review it myself with my own money, but otherwise I'd rather have any other retail publisher pick up some of the stuff they get. At least when they announce something cool looking like powerslave that incentivizes me to buy it myself on steam

LRG lost some good faith with me for sure. Doug made those posts in here about reducing CEs and as someone else said we still see them coming out for nearly every game. I also made a post about them adding in that BS "shipping protection" automatically and crickets.

I tried giving them the benefit of the doubt but their words and actions are in direct contrast. They sure are a hard company to defend, that's for sure.

LRG lost some good faith with me for sure. Doug made those posts in here about reducing CEs and as someone else said we still see them coming out for nearly every game. I also made a post about them adding in that BS "shipping protection" automatically and crickets.

I tried giving them the benefit of the doubt but their words and actions are in direct contrast. They sure are a hard company to defend, that's for sure.
With inflation the way it is, it really is better to just hope and get their games from one of their partner stores. You have almost a year to think about whether you really want it. If VGP carries the game it ends ups not really costing more because you can get free shipping from them.

You’re mad about CE offerings that you don’t have to buy and shipping protection that can be removed from cart? Nice.

You’re mad about CE offerings that you don’t have to buy and shipping protection that can be removed from cart? Nice.
The logic is all the crap CEs take away from other things, like publishing other games and/or making better CEs for the CEs that still happen. And the shipping protection being added is just sleazy. It shouldn't be automatically added to the cart. It can be an option the buyer chooses to add, but not automatically in the cart on every game every time.

Oh man, I'm so excited for them to get the rights to Hoops for the NES, so they can charge $60 for literally the most worthless game on the NES. That's the way things are proceeding.

Yes I am. Doug literally came here and said they were slowing down CEs and I continue to see them weekly. Plus all these CEs slow down the queue for everyone else, but that's a minor gripe.

Of course the shipping protection thing is a big deal. It's AUTO added when the customer didn't ask for it. How is that not shady as hell?

From what I've read, both of those are solid games. I'll pass, I can only take so many retro inspired games, but good releases. And luckily they both have collectors/more expensive editions lol

Steel Assault and Moonrider are games I have a been interested in. Both look solid. I may consider them but I may just want to get them both on Steam Deck instead. I have both on my steam wish list. Big fan of Tribute games and Joymasher. They make great games.

new to limited run games. What's the chances that their Return to Monkey Island (CE or not CE) will be available at Best Buy later? Given that it's a "Devolver Digital" game and not a LRG numbered release?

new to limited run games. What's the chances that their Return to Monkey Island (CE or not CE) will be available at Best Buy later? Given that it's a "Devolver Digital" game and not a LRG numbered release?
It is one of their distro titles. As such you will have a better chance finding it at Amazon than at Best Buy.

Don't think I'm ever ordering from special reserve again.  Still waiting on Shadow Warrior 3, and they've already released a definitive version and next gen upgrade.  They take way too long to do anything.

Don't think I'm ever ordering from special reserve again. Still waiting on Shadow Warrior 3, and they've already released a definitive version and next gen upgrade. They take way too long to do anything.
Also more and more of their stuff is hitting regular retail, invalidating the need to ever order from them.

Don't think I'm ever ordering from special reserve again. Still waiting on Shadow Warrior 3, and they've already released a definitive version and next gen upgrade. They take way too long to do anything.
Special Reserve in particular seems like it’s fallen the farthest in terms of limited print publishers. They seemed to be held in high regard a while ago but now it’s like they just don’t care. That Demon’s Throttle physical only release really seemed to have created some animosity.

Special Reserve used to be good. last ones i bought was Hotline Miami and My Friend Pedro.

Yeah the problem is I long since stopped giving a crap about playing Shadow Warrior 3, but it's STILL delayed to who knows when. I mostly only bought it because I regretted not getting a physical copy of SW2 when it was available, and the general consensus is the 3rd game isn't as good as the 2nd. I get annoyed every time I get an email from Special Reserve about buying more crap from them.

I've been holding out in hopes of a physical release of Shin-chan, but that Collector's Edition is pretty disappointing compared to the Japanese one. Looks like it'll just be standard for me.

Looks like I missed the deadline for the Ara fell 2 rpg game. I was going to buy that with monkey island. Looks like MI is a distributed title anyway so I guess I won't be buying either from LRG, which is fine by me.

Interested in the Shin chan game but not going to preorder it at LRG.  Will wait and see if it ends up in another distro  channel since it’s not a numbered release.  Plus if the digital drops to $10 by then, I’ll just get it that way.  

bread's done
Back