Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Probably going to be VVVVVV:

https://twitter.com/TonyBoySP/status/1621905069087105029

Weird chain from Josh saying Kokopolo "could very well be the final new releases" for the console:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1565695002637901828

Though later in the chain he mentions Nicalis teasing Binding of Isaac. Lots of weird connections to the end of the Vita here, let's hope whatever this is doesn't end up locked in a cabinet for 4+ years like Bird King.
Pirate’s curse was also another recent ESRB rating: though rising star already printed that…

Yeah, that's another possibility. When I posted that I could've sworn that reprint already went out but after poking around on Twitter and Reddit, I think I may have been getting it confused with Senran Kagura (another recent reprint).

My dream LRG release would be Famicom Detective Club on the Switch. I know its a Nintendo published title but there is no way Nintendo will be publishing that physical in NA. I figure LRG has enough clout now, and they are probably Nintendo's top physical publisher by number of titles, that they may be able to convince them to do it.
Yes, this would be fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, where the hell do you live? I ordered the Moon CE and Shin Chan CEs and my total shipping was just under $10 to Chicagoland area.
I live in PA, but this is the first time shipping has ever been that expensive for me for a standard edition game from them. Not sure what's up with that.

I live in PA, but this is the first time shipping has ever been that expensive for me for a standard edition game from them. Not sure what's up with that.
Did you add a shipping box? I noticed a while back that adding a shipping box causes the shipping cost to jump, which is really odd considering that they'll use a shipping box at no additional charge if you have 3 Switch games in the order, order a CE, or have at least 1 PS4/PS5 game in a multi-game order (not sure about that last one).

The shipping cost to ship ONE Switch game with a box has been higher than ordering 3 Switch games or a CE (both of which come with a box).

When I first noticed, it was only happening if using a ShopPay cart, but the shipping cost tied to a box eventually jumped up for the normal cart as well.

Sharing since it’s a little more noteworthy, but

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1641125034088448040?cxt=HHwW0IC-jcChucYtAAAA

Justice Chronicle hitting PS4/5. Another Kemco game, but this is by Hit-Point (who make the Kemco RPGs that are actually good) and I gave this a pretty high score when it hit 3DS back in the day. This one I can recommend even if the physical price is uh, still very steep (what happened to $25 usd games?)

dam now SeafoamGaming is taking my job 

is-nothing-sacred-muppets.gif

Part of me wants to try Kemco games and the other part of me says "play the other AAA, AA, A, B, C tier RPGs you have before scraping the barrel." 

There are so many damn JRPGs now you can ignore all but the very best ones.  I never even get to the Idea Factory or Atelier games. 

Other collector folks don't even open or play the game packages they buy anymore.  You can tell by the lack of posts over new items in the JP niche thread.  We're flooded.  People used to get up to buy every single jp CE and now you can't even keep up with all the B- tier churn let alone the Kemco trash heap stuff.  Collecting that mid-tier stuff jumped the shark a few years ago.  We don't even line up to buy the $20 Amazon and GS clearance jp stuff anymore.  Plus now we've got Nintendo publishing all kinds of legit jrpgs again. 

I haven't even started Octopath 2, Tactics Ogre, Star Ocean: The Divine Force, Diofeld Chronicle, or Triangle Strategy outside of the first chapter yet.   Times are great, but free time is in a drought. 

You also have indie developers who grew up on the 90s JRPG scene, so stuff like Chained Echoes is now coming along to fill even more gaps if you want retro styling with modern accessibility and quality of life features.

Still working through Chained Echoes myself, but its really good and well worth the purchase.

I would contact support over this. Maybe whatever they use to compute costs based on zipcode is screwed up?

If you are lucky Doug will come back and see your issue and maybe look into it... but I'd not wait for that and just go with support to hedge your bets.

You also have indie developers who grew up on the 90s JRPG scene, so stuff like Chained Echoes is now coming along to fill even more gaps if you want retro styling with modern accessibility and quality of life features.

Still working through Chained Echoes myself, but its really good and well worth the purchase.

I've been seeing these "90s inspired JRPG"s since like the late 2000s and nearly all of them have been duds (as in average or below). The only one I played that impressed me was Radiant Historia. Haven't played Chained Echoes yet, but it does look legit.

Cross Code is one of the best modern retro jrpgs I have ever seen and I don't think I've talked to a single other person who has played it.  It only has 12k reviews on Steam in five years.

Resident Evil 4 has 23K reviews in less than a week. 

Cross Code is one of the best modern retro jrpgs I have ever seen and I don't think I've talked to a single other person who has played it. It only has 12k reviews on Steam in five years.

Resident Evil 4 has 23K reviews in less than a week.
Now you've talked to at least one other person who played it--CrossCode was awesome.

I've been seeing these "90s inspired JRPG"s since like the late 2000s and nearly all of them have been duds (as in average or below). The only one I played that impressed me was Radiant Historia. Haven't played Chained Echoes yet, but it does look legit.
Honestly I think the only thing that separates Radiant Historia from the other ones is the hype marketing and the Nintendo branding support. No idea how the rest of these Indie games even get discovered unless they have A+ Chrono Trigger appeal or are on Gamepass.

PC gamers won't even purchase Dragon Quest XI. and it's one of the best of all-time. I don't know how these ports are even getting financially supported.

Companies like Falcom are doing God's work, on Steam.

These guys think they are going to keep getting Playstation first party titles in the near future but hardly any of them spend any money, nor put it where their mouth is. It's gonna get canned. At the very least they're mostly going to continue to get games that are 5+ years old, when they no longer have any 'new item' value, as only side porting projects for very minor long term revenue streams.

The gravy train already left the station in nearly every other sector of our economy since 2021. Unprofitable stuff is getting consolidated.

Im looking for a Battle Garegga ps4. Please help
I take it it has got to be ESRB for ya?

Otherwise I'd suggest Play-Asia (sorry, not allowed to link)….just bought it myself recently. I skipped the one at LRG initially because I still have the game on Saturn and it seemed like an unnecessary purchase, but by now I'm such a huge fan of M2, and also I decided to skip shoot'em ups I already have on a HD system physically (like that whole Japanese X360 library) but pick up ports of older system shmups, even if I have the original (like Garegga, or Radiant Silvergun, or Batsugun).

Anyone got their LRG steelbook blind boxes. I ordered multiple & every single one was Saturday Morning RPG. Was it just my luck or these blind boxes are always a clown show. It was first…. & last time I tried these

dam now SeafoamGaming is taking my job

is-nothing-sacred-muppets.gif
Haha, you don’t have to worry about that much: I got blocked by the lrg twitter last summer after replying to someone asking for a Scott Pilgrim Vinyl ETA telling them they kept pushing them back with poor communication so this is usually how I find out next to reddit: Justice Chronicles is the top Hit-Point RPG I can recommend next to Tetrarchs so I didn’t hesitate to share once I saw. I’ll likely do the same when they unveil a release date for Rendering Ranger R2 since that’s the only thing they have in the pipe I’m hype enough to cautiously try. (as long as it isn’t buggy like the bill and ted set that is)

Anyone got their LRG steelbook blind boxes. I ordered multiple & every single one was Saturday Morning RPG. Was it just my luck or these blind boxes are always a clown show. It was first…. & last time I tried these
I’ve heard a disturbing amount of cases where steelbook and OST blind boxes weren’t mixed up at all: someone got all Thumpers, another got all PJM2, and i even just saw one CD blind set where 3/4 were yooka laylee with *the same card*.

Honestly as the years go on the blinds are more of an outright scam: especially when a bunch of the stock is stuff that is from distros that are still on LRG’s site like regions of ruin from failing to sell MOQ. I’m still bewildered it took them 2 months to even assemble these.

Honestly I think the only thing that separates Radiant Historia from the other ones is the hype marketing and the Nintendo branding support. No idea how the rest of these Indie games even get discovered unless they have A+ Chrono Trigger appeal or are on Gamepass.

PC gamers won't even purchase Dragon Quest XI. and it's one of the best of all-time. I don't know how these ports are even getting financially supported.

Companies like Falcom are doing God's work, on Steam.

These guys think they are going to keep getting Playstation first party titles in the near future but hardly any of them spend any money, nor put it where their mouth is. It's gonna get canned. At the very least they're mostly going to continue to get games that are 5+ years old, when they no longer have any 'new item' value, as only side porting projects for very minor long term revenue streams.

The gravy train already left the station in nearly every other sector of our economy since 2021. Unprofitable stuff is getting consolidated.
Radiant Historia was published by Atlus and I don't think it had any major marketing behind it and I don't know about its sales numbers but I don't think it did that well- but I could wrong on the marketing/sales.

But agreed with Falcom, they seem be the only company who can consistently get JRPGs right.

Part of me wants to try Kemco games and the other part of me says "play the other AAA, AA, A, B, C tier RPGs you have before scraping the barrel."
I played a Kemco game last year (Dragon Sinker) because I was sure they couldn't be as bad as everyone said. I think I wrote about it here but it might have been in the Japanese Niche thread. But in short, it was the most basic and uninspired JRPG that I have ever played and I almost fell asleep repeatedly. They're not bad per se, but they're just so basic. It's like eating a piece of bread when your other option is a cheeseburger.

From what I've heard, Hit Point's releases are better and are just coincidentally published by Kemco but I need some time to recover before I try something like that again.

How do these sellers get so many "UPC punched" copies of these games?  I see some sellers with 10+ copies of a single game, all with the UPC punched.  I understand they are given out as promos to employees, etc but seems odd someone would have 10+ copies of the same game.

The ones I have came from the LRG store. I can't imagine there's much of a demand for them, I certainly am not thrilled that my copies have them.

How do these sellers get so many "UPC punched" copies of these games? I see some sellers with 10+ copies of a single game, all with the UPC punched. I understand they are given out as promos to employees, etc but seems odd someone would have 10+ copies of the same game.
Some of these resellers run game shops in the same areas as Sony operates studios and replication facilities. The employees on the distribution list literally just walk in and trade them in for cash. In addition, a lot of employees who get them prefer digital and are happy to just dump them in the break room for anyone to take.

I think a lot off the problem is "Do I want to play a game from 1995" and "Do I want to feel like I did playing games in 1995" are very different things. The second one is what people really want, and it is a lot harder to do in practice.

Asking here because I've yet to really get a response on other forums/twitter:

Ikaruga is getting a reprint in both NA and JP with updates/patches on cart (English is on the JP cart). NA is up on Nicalis' website and JP is up on Play-Asia.

Nicalis has standard and CE options available ($50 and $70) while Play-Asia has only one version available for $53. However, the description of the Play-Asia version says it comes with almost all the same contents as the "Metal Earth Edition" that is up on Nicalis' website (the $70 version). Making the Play-Asia version a better value.

Am I missing something?

(Addendum: Play-Asia has said they have yet to get package dimensions so shipping price is not finalized yet)

Asking here because I've yet to really get a response on other forums/twitter:

Ikaruga is getting a reprint in both NA and JP with updates/patches on cart (English is on the JP cart). NA is up on Nicalis' website and JP is up on Play-Asia.

Nicalis has standard and CE options available ($50 and $70) while Play-Asia has only one version available for $53. However, the description of the Play-Asia version says it comes with almost all the same contents as the "Metal Earth Edition" that is up on Nicalis' website (the $70 version). Making the Play-Asia version a better value.

Am I missing something?

(Addendum: Play-Asia has said they have yet to get package dimensions so shipping price is not finalized yet)
Play-Asia loves to jump the gun when creating new listings, so I'd lean towards them fixing that listing later on.

I wouldn't be surprised that Play-Asia is getting the same or more content for the same price. Look at 'TMNT Shredder's Revenge.' When that game came out, both the US and Japanese version through Play Asia were the same price (it's gone up $5 since), but the Japanese version also came with an official, full, physical CD soundtrack and acrylic action scene in a large box to house everything, and we got that stupid Pizza Hut coupon.

I think 'Ikaruga,' the standard release is a good pickup for shooter fans. I don't know about the rest of the stuff. I still have my original Dreamcast copy, so I'm set.

I think a lot off the problem is "Do I want to play a game from 1995" and "Do I want to feel like I did playing games in 1995" are very different things. The second one is what people really want, and it is a lot harder to do in practice.
Except the latter is impossible because that was a sense of freshness that resulted from having a less developed brain at the time. People chasing nostalgia are chasing ghosts.

Wasn't there a limit of three per person on the steelbooks? Dunno how they got eight to begin with unless they ordered from multiple accounts or LRG didn't enforce their limits.

I didn't order, but the only ones I've seen come out of them are PixelJunk Monsters 2 (by far the most common), Battle Chef Brigade, and Saturday Morning RPG (which is apparently exclusive to blindboxes because they've gotta get those FOMO bucks).

Wasn't there a limit of three per person on the steelbooks? Dunno how they got eight to begin with unless they ordered from multiple accounts or LRG didn't enforce their limits.

I didn't order, but the only ones I've seen come out of them are PixelJunk Monsters 2 (by far the most common), Battle Chef Brigade, and Saturday Morning RPG (which is apparently exclusive to blindboxes because they've gotta get those FOMO bucks).
Well per the CM person on their reddit, ”we could not guarantee randomness on the steelbooks” , which like, yeah the limited pool means expecting an order of five to maybe have 2/3 of the same thing is possible, but eight of the same damn book is ridiculous especially when it happened in several orders i’ve seen shared lol (someone getting all thumpers)

https://www.reddit.com/r/limitedrun/comments/127o4h5/my_gambling_results/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

Uh yeah this is like the 4th time i’ve seen someone get the same steelbook in a blind box order. Anyone else here having the same luck? Seems pretty ridiculous compared to prior years…

Also with April 1st tomorrow I wonder what the meme game of the year will be.
LOL that's hilarious. Guessing this is the other one? I could understand 2 duplicates, 3 is funny but that guys 7 is just too much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/limitedrun/comments/126vchn/mystery_box_results/

I opened my blind boxes and am kinda disappointed this year. Every year I've done it, I got more good than bad, this year it was more bad than good.

NS - Scott Pilgrim (good with me)

NS - Regions of Ruin (eh and I got this last year)

NS CE - Vitamin Connection (eh...)

LOL that's hilarious. Guessing this is the other one? I could understand 2 duplicates, 3 is funny but that guys 7 is just too much.
https://www.reddit.com/r/limitedrun/comments/126vchn/mystery_box_results/

I opened my blind boxes and am kinda disappointed this year. Every year I've done it, I got more good than bad, this year it was more bad than good.

NS - Scott Pilgrim (good with me)
NS - Regions of Ruin (eh and I got this last year)
NS CE - Vitamin Connection (eh...)
I think this is the working link: https://www.reddit.com/r/limitedrun/comments/126vchn/mystery_box_results/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1 but yeah, seems they barely tried to mix much up this year. The tweet showing 3 yooka OSTs with the same card i linked a bit ago was just ludicrous and shows whoever is assembling these did so in a hurry.

And yeah stuff like ROR being in blinds just indicates they wanna offload stuff that are spares from MOQ. Not that it was a secret or anything but still a lil disappointing. I can vouch for vitamin connection being a very fun game if you have a co op partner though: it’s a very fun joy-con title!

If someone wants to offload a Regions of Ruins, its a neat little game and I don't have a copy. :p 

Eight of the same steelbook is just hilarious.  And shame that PJM2 wasn't as good as the first.  They should have stayed with the charming 2D styles.

Night Trap GameBoy Advance (video only, no gameplay) is this year’s April Fools. Gotta give them credit on that one, that’s a really creative and amusing release.

Yup forgot it was April Fool's. That said, and we've said this in years past, I can totally see them making this a real product for some reason.

Limited Rare is typically believed to be Hard Copy Games, not LRG.

As always, there's a 45 min YouTube video about it...

TLDR: Poop Slinger needed some capital to produce and sit on, therefore that was likely a larger company (perhaps Limited Run), but a knock off company was made to sell more (perhaps Hard Copy). 

To not give the game away, it seems like there's not been any open commentary from either side.

Perhaps Doug can finally share the truth behind them!  :D

Yeah this is another digerati game so current limited rare is 100% Hard copy. They aren’t worth even glancing at really. The first limrare I don’t believe was LRG or any company, and perhaps it could have been either the game dev themselves or someone with a lot of money wanting to experiment with something. Whatever the case it sure shows that digerati doesn’t mind having their games as fomo bait.

As for the GBA Video release, well… it certainly screams a “Josh and Doug” idea, but this is the first GBA reprint of any kind sold through LRG, and Ninja Five O was teased in the last newsletter I received, so… perhaps a GBA repro/Carbon release of that game could happen? I’d definitely buy the eShop version to avoid spending hundreds on that game.

I’d definitely buy the eShop version to avoid spending hundreds on that game.
I bought Ninja Five-O back in the day when it was cheap for a used copy. It was good but not something I need to play again and I sold my copy. It’s worth experiencing but it might be a tad overhyped.

What the heck, decided to buy the Night Trap GBA game, even if it is a ripoff.  The fact that they highlighted that its a video with no gameplay solidifies its an actual product to me.  If it wasn't then they wouldn't even bother doing that.

Its funny how Hard Copy Games' normal PS4 editions struggle mightily to sell yet their "Limited Rare" releases always sell out quickly and go for a ton on the secondary market. 

If LRG wants to continue to do blind boxes, they really should break them up into 2 categories: numbered release blind boxes and distributed release blind boxes.  The problem with including both is the distributed titles drive the values down since they are available often times at Amazon, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop and Walmart while the numbered titles are only available from LRG and a lesser amount from partners.

Its funny how Hard Copy Games' normal PS4 editions struggle mightily to sell yet their "Limited Rare" releases always sell out quickly and go for a ton on the secondary market.
Do they?
For all we know, they sell not too many copies of their LimitedRare games either, it's just a cutoff after two or three days. The remainder of their copies will flood the market one day, I'm sure.

And I'm not sure about "a ton" either….yeah, Tamashii maybe, but Demon Pit has dropped to what, 60-70$ by now? At least last time I checked. Started off at 95 once copies hit eBay and only went down from there. Antarctica 88 will be similar, I'd guess.

I think a lot of the Limited Rare purchases are just speculative buying. After Poop Slinger and Tamashii got pricey, people just started buying them for resale value or to have something pricey in their collection. But they do seem to sell well enough based on the number of eBay copies.

If LRG wants to continue to do blind boxes, they really should break them up into 2 categories: numbered release blind boxes and distributed release blind boxes. The problem with including both is the distributed titles drive the values down since they are available often times at Amazon, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop and Walmart while the numbered titles are only available from LRG and a lesser amount from partners.
They really shouldn't have any distribution line games in blind boxes at all. Distribution games that aren't sold should go back to the distributor.

Though I think the fact that they don't, means that LRG is the distributor and physical publisher and they just structure the contracts different so the dev/pub isn't paid up front but on a quarterly basis with a percentage of sales (allowing for some games to get price drops on Amazon, as we've seen).

Back to blind boxes... I'll give it to LRG, every year despite all the previous bad years of blind boxes people come in and go to town in hopes of catching a valuable item and walk away disappointed. Like the dude buying boxes of soundtracks and then being upset the first year that there were duplicates so opted to gamble a second year and got even more duplicates. Like, these folks don't learn. Plus buying in bulk is mostly going to fail because they pull stock for the single orders first and save the complex ones for the end. So the end folks are likely never getting a unique set of whatever blind stuff they had. They think they are gaming the system but instead get played. As long as LRG is selling out of their left overs... they'll keep on keeping on and of course they aren't going to separate excess distribution line games that no one wants and could have bought any day of the week. This is their chance to make bank on them by all the rubes who return to try their luck.

bread's done
Back