Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
These guys have no business running a multi-million dollar business, let alone being the faces of the company. How absolutely tone deaf do you have to be to post that picture when you're months and months behind on getting people their stuff?

Even if that was his personal collection at home it would be baffling but the fact that it's clearly tied to their office? Are they literally just spending their days messing around in here rather than ya' know, running a business? I literally can't believe he posted that.

These guys have no business running a multi-million dollar business, let alone being the faces of the company. How absolutely tone deaf do you have to be to post that picture when you're months and months behind on getting people their stuff?

Even if that was his personal collection at home it would be baffling but the fact that it's clearly tied to their office? Are they literally just spending their days messing around in here rather than ya' know, running a business? I literally can't believe he posted that.
Also using a company asset to store a personal collection feels wrong. I’m not an accountant, but wouldn’t you have to pay the company back for using the space? For clean books you keep stuff separate.

If you read the comments, he says the collections are stored at work for reference when developing carbon engine games, getting assets for books, etc. I'm not an accountant, so not really sure if that makes them company assets or personal ones. He does say "my collection"...

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1631764311956762627

If you read the comments, he says the collections are stored at work for reference when developing carbon engine games, getting assets for books, etc. I'm not an accountant, so not really sure if that makes them company assets or personal ones. He does say "my collection"...

he must have lost the manuals for the bill and ted games because that compilation sure didn’t use any scans or cool assets
For how much they’re hyping up carbon, how embracer bought em over that and how a game I’m hyped for is coming to it (R2), it sure seems they haven’t announced much in terms of a schedule or what to expect… i’m hoping that just means we’ll get a lot of sweet news later on instead of shadowdrops of clunky, buggy ports like bill and ted were

Also using a company asset to store a personal collection feels wrong. I’m not an accountant, but wouldn’t you have to pay the company back for using the space? For clean books you keep stuff separate.
Basically yea, when it comes to the protection offered to someone by operating as a business is that they can’t be held personally liable for debts/liabilities incurred for the company. One of the ways around that thought is called piercing the corporate veil, and a key part of that analysis is whether corporate and personal funds/assets are co-mingled. More commonly you see it where someone will use a corporate account to pay their own personal bills, or using a vehicle owned by the corporation in their personal life.

I don't care about the accounting portion, but this is interesting - "for reference when developing carbon engine games". So he's busy ripping ROMs to make carbon engine games?

I don't care about the accounting portion, but this is interesting - "for reference when developing carbon engine games". So he's busy ripping ROMs to make carbon engine games?
I've got bad news if you think Josh can code his way out of a paper bag

Yeah that game collection pic is so tone deaf it's ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, super cool setup but not the time or place to be bragging when your customers are already ticked off about your companies poor logistics.

Doug's office filled with anime figs, Josh with his game collection.

In another world, you could see two dudes living the dream while benefitting gamers.

If only the business part was firing on all cylinders. Totally tone deaf to post this kind of stuff; most people who suddenly get rich are subject to such hedonistic treadmill effect, though. Perhaps they need some folks around them to perhaps not be so blatant and more focus on release dates and what not.

TBF having your own copies of a game on hand can be very handy if the original company does not, especially if it's a niche game. TMNT III on GB had to be rebought CIB by someone at Digital Eclipse to scan some assets for the collection's museum, since konami didn't have one on hand lol. I wouldn't be surprised if that was how LRG got the cool 3D box and manual replica done for RCG0, too, but why they didn't put that much effort into bill and ted (not even the NES's manual which had actual maps for that convoluted nightmare of a game) I don't get...

But yeah, as much as I find collections pretty nifty to look at, (and used to try to do a full one myself, with the English Pokemon mini games, which I got all but pokemon tetris before my system rotted from battery acid) it does come off as a little silly for josh to be teasing carbon engine stuff and showing off cool games while their company has 400+ SKUs in production all at once. I'm honestly just real hopeful that when they do pump out the carbon engine games and reveal more they knock it out of the park. (and don't get a bajillion silent delays like the ones last LRG3 did, I'm still anxious for how R2 will turn out lol)

I've got bad news if you think Josh can code his way out of a paper bag
Team Carbon is I think a separate team in LRG? Joe works there, and he's a really nice guy who's games I liked (Gunworld 2, even bird king to a small extent) that's really into retro, and that Audi guy from Digital Foundry even works for them... along with modern vintage gamer (who built Shantae's GBC emulator). Pretty good pedigree, but bill and ted has me doubting that they can match anything akin to M2, Digital Eclipse or even Ratalaika at this point, even if RCG0 was an effort I'll still praise. Again, we'll have to wait and see, which... sure seems to be a common message these days.

I check the LRG reddit now and then to see if any interesting status updates pop up anywhere but even that place seems like a ghost town: their new PR rep just replies with the most generic "Hello, I have an update for you: it is the ETA listed on our site's production page" message to any inquiry. I don't think LRG's twitter gives in-depth status updates either so I legitimately believe those digests are the only way we'll get detailed info on some of what they're selling... Which is sure an annoying aspect for someone waiting for an obscure item like me (Valis Vinyl). The only sort of update we got here on this forum that I saw from replies was about bird king vita not happening yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbon engine is, from what I understand, what they use to make their in-house ports/remakes. So, to have a reference point to compare the games to is not unreasonable. But most of the time the OG devs will just send over the OG code and game if its available. But I see how that game room looks if you assume the worst.

We had to shut down shipping temporarily to implement the changes we discussed in our blog.

We are using new software now, new machinery, and an entirely new process to streamline stuff. We are making effort to live up to what we promised in our blog. 

https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/limited-run-shipping-initiatives-2023

We are also ordering a lot of things ahead of time so items are in hand faster.

Couple random things I think I saw:

- I'm not the CEO, never have been.

- Having a collection of stuff is what a lot of our fans have too, so not sure what the problem is there? Been collecting since I was a kid same with Josh. A lot of our collection comes from our 30+ years on this earth not recent. 

- Josh does indeed use his collection for a lot of our projects. We are able to get assets from them that are sometimes lost from the developers. We also only use brand new retro games to rip for Carbon. We don't get the ROMs from someone due to fear of them being modified. 

- We were given numbers from publishers on how many copies Asian versions sell as imports and it was so small it didn't seem to make sense to skip them just because. A lot of people clearly want a NA version and don't want to or don't know how to import. 

There are some things on here I can't see due to blocks enabled, but if anyone has any questions let me know. 

Hey Doug! I've asked before, but I'll ask again. Any chance of a ps4 version of the humongous collection? Also any up coming point & click adventure games? I'm a diehard fan of the genre & have almost every physical P&C Ps4 game released so far. 

Hey Doug! I've asked before, but I'll ask again. Any chance of a ps4 version of the humongous collection? Also any up coming point & click adventure games? I'm a diehard fan of the genre & have almost every physical P&C Ps4 game released so far.
Unfortunately we won't be doing a PS4 edition of that one! At least for now!

It's kind of a running bit that Doug blocks people who give him the tiniest of pushback; similar reports on Twitter.

I do enjoy "I'm not the CEO," parts more so when the idea is that Doug either has influence being an owner or doesn't and is just a bad PR person at this point. My money's still on the leadership leaves after a term is up in the contract from the Embracer buy out.

Displaying your personal collection in the place of your employment, to include likely a non-zero amount of finances to build it, is much different than your own personal game room at home. The fact Doug either doesn't know that or doesn't care is just another point of "not getting it."

He routinely answers around things and never gets to the intent of the topic.

If he hasn't blocked me, someone else quote me so he sees:

$1,000 to any charity to post on Twitter how you manipulated the sales data on the webpage. If it's not a big deal, then that's an easy win.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1646570087468482561?s=20
This is probably the most heartbreaking physical release I've been interested in in a long time. Each disc has a single platinum trophy encompassing all the games in that library. However, purchasing each game separately off PSN gives an individual platinum for each game. Think I have no choice but to go digital this time. :(

It's kind of a running bit that Doug blocks people who give him the tiniest of pushback; similar reports on Twitter.

I do enjoy "I'm not the CEO," parts more so when the idea is that Doug either has influence being an owner or doesn't and is just a bad PR person at this point. My money's still on the leadership leaves after a term is up in the contract from the Embracer buy out.

Displaying your personal collection in the place of your employment, to include likely a non-zero amount of finances to build it, is much different than your own personal game room at home. The fact Doug either doesn't know that or doesn't care is just another point of "not getting it."

He routinely answers around things and never gets to the intent of the topic.

If he hasn't blocked me, someone else quote me so he sees:

$1,000 to any charity to post on Twitter how you manipulated the sales data on the webpage. If it's not a big deal, then that's an easy win.

It looks like plenty of investments are being made at the warehouse, just not in the areas that will help customers....

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1631059367008010244
I have no words. Why would someone flaunt this when you are sitting on tons of your customers money & they are waiting for eternity to get their hands on stuff they bought. Not to mention all the other issues about transparency, customer service & all.

Normally, I feel excited to look at someone’s collection. Not this time

We had to shut down shipping temporarily to implement the changes we discussed in our blog.

We are using new software now, new machinery, and an entirely new process to streamline stuff. We are making effort to live up to what we promised in our blog.

https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/limited-run-shipping-initiatives-2023

We are also ordering a lot of things ahead of time so items are in hand faster.
That was a pretty good read on what’s happening behind the scenes. It’s good to see change, especially with the shipping department. The unfortunate thing is just saying there will be change and nothing getting better in the past has burned a lot of folks out, but this little bit of transparency showing the warehouse and a machine that may be part of the solution hopefully results in things moving towards the positive.

Concerning Josh’s collection… I can see why others are up in arms over it, but I’ve worked with business in the past where an owner had some collection at work. Usually not related to the job. This kind of beats anything I’ve seen, but it makes sense to have it there, especially if access to it is sold to LRG for the convenience of making reproductions and other works and that extra income can help him fund expanding it.

On this point - the distinction is that Doug is the COO (Chief Operating Officer) and not the CEO (Chief Executive Officer - that's Josh). The roles are different, yes, but both should have plenty of authority internally to enact change. Shrugging off criticism because of semantics just comes across as a little petty IMO. It's the equivalent of not responding to someone because they called you James and you go by Jim.

Regarding the Psikyo collections, their post on the Facebook page has a top rated comment telling people to get them now in stock on Play-Asia in English.

So not certain how they got their data, but that's only half the picture; once you announce, if Play-Asia has them in stock at a fair price, and can use a 5% off coupon (ex. SWTV23), then you're likely to get those games in a few weeks versus whenever LRG gets them in stock.

There isn't even a post about this release in the LRG "unofficial" Facebook group; only references to the Play-Asia release from over year ago.

So yet another baffling business decision on their part. 

Unless they got good numbers to show that there are enough ESRB types (aka MOQ for Sony is 5,000?) who'd pay a premium today for a product tomorrow just to have a different ratings logo?  Perhaps, that I could believe.

LimitedRunDoug something is up with your new shipped method I just got 2 packages in the mail today but I never got an email about them being shipped 

Regarding the Psikyo collections, their post on the Facebook page has a top rated comment telling people to get them now in stock on Play-Asia in English.

So not certain how they got their data, but that's only half the picture; once you announce, if Play-Asia has them in stock at a fair price, and can use a 5% off coupon (ex. SWTV23), then you're likely to get those games in a few weeks versus whenever LRG gets them in stock.

There isn't even a post about this release in the LRG "unofficial" Facebook group; only references to the Play-Asia release from over year ago.

So yet another baffling business decision on their part.

Unless they got good numbers to show that there are enough ESRB types (aka MOQ for Sony is 5,000?) who'd pay a premium today for a product tomorrow just to have a different ratings logo? Perhaps, that I could believe.
I think ps4 MOQ is 1K plus with clear river being involved I wouldn’t be surprised if this hits amazon/retail later? Psychic 5 Eternal is probably a future lock from them too. I’m not exactly opposed to these compilations being made available even if it after the switch/SEA versions. Shmup fans are pretty strong and the live wire stuff did very well for a reason

In other news, it sure seems those steelbook blind boxes are still going well: https://www.reddit.com/r/limitedrun/comments/12n42ms/i_will_never_gamble_again

I have no words. Why would someone flaunt this when you are sitting on tons of your customers money & they are waiting for eternity to get their hands on stuff they bought. Not to mention all the other issues about transparency, customer service & all.

Normally, I feel excited to look at someone’s collection. Not this time
I didn't really need another reason not to support this company, but the more the merrier I guess.

LimitedRunDoug something is up with your new shipped method I just got 2 packages in the mail today but I never got an email about them being shipped
I got a delivery from LRG today and also did not receive a shipping email.

Something new I noticed is they now include a packing slip in the box showing what was bought.

I haven't received any shipping notices from LRG in a while either.  Also don't get the "verify your address" emails anymore.  I have been getting emails from DHL that a shipment is on the way.  I also get other emails from LRG, just not the shipping ones.

Got FOUR packages yesterday (for a total of 9 games!) that I had no idea to expect.  As others noted, all had packing slips, which is a nice change to see.  Never got a shipping notice but I haven't moved so it's all good.

I imagine the packing slips are going to help push stuff out faster.  Credit where it's due.

Dumshit is probably using it as a tax right off.
Probably not the case, or rather not the big deal. The bigger concern is if there is any financial troubles, those assets store in the business, personal or not, may be subject to seizure. More so if they can be ascertained as used for company purposes during any sort of audit.

It's super, duper not wise to mix work and play, more so financially or asset-wise.

Obviously jurisdiction applies and one would hope Josh would consult with legal counsel before doing so, but I cannot imagine that being a smart move, IMO.

That's beyond the obviously dumb optics of the situation.

And for those playing the home game, this isn't hang wringing or otherwise a subject I lose sleep over. Rather it's just interesting to see a series of risky and/or dumb ideas they perform that could really bite them in the ass in the future. Doug and Josh can have big ol' stinkin' game collections, I wouldn't just flaunt that to people who are frustrated due to multiple reasons right now.

Perhaps they could stand to read a book such as "The Millionaire Next Door."

What games are you guys getting? I've got 2 orders that are over a year old at this point (4 games in total) so wondering if those are coming my way without a shipping notice.

See showing a collection like that might just get you robbed especially with the fanbase you have.

Some food for thought down the road
If it's stored at their warehouse/office, and they get robbed, that collection will probably be the least of their concerns. Tbh the store is a more likely candidate for being robbed, as would any retail arm vs. warehouse would be for any business. Not saying either are at risk, but, well, ask TradeNGames how he feels about this topic.

Generally, any sort of sharing of possessions by a business owner, that was ultimately paid for by the customers, is a bad idea. Even in situation where there is no criticism of the company or it's well intentioned, it just won't sit well.

I don't get why items with a set print run (like Shredders PS5 for example) have a preorder window.  Shredders preorders close down today, yet the amount has already been set at 2100 items.  Why not just leave it up on the website until all 2100 allotted units have sold?

I don't get why items with a set print run (like Shredders PS5 for example) have a preorder window. Shredders preorders close down today, yet the amount has already been set at 2100 items. Why not just leave it up on the website until all 2100 allotted units have sold?
Per the javascript for the page, it seems only around 117 copies are left, so they probably assumed it's probably gonna sell out before orders closed, or at least the remainder is deemed easy enough to keep as replacement stock.

I don't get why items with a set print run (like Shredders PS5 for example) have a preorder window. Shredders preorders close down today, yet the amount has already been set at 2100 items. Why not just leave it up on the website until all 2100 allotted units have sold?
My guess is because then they'd have to wait until all of them are sold to start manufacturing.

It's a weak attempt at triggering FOMO.

My guess is because then they'd have to wait until all of them are sold to start manufacturing.
Seems like these types of fixed amount releases should go back to the vita (well most of the vita) release style. That drives up the FOMO since things are ready to ship and they can break the release into batches to further drive demand as the smaller "morning" group sells out which pushes folks that aren't sure to just buy during the afternoon batch.

Popped up in my youtube sub box:

https://youtu.be/GdEke2CIgjo

A carbon engine themed podcast/showcase? Something unannounced to be shown tomorrow… hoping we get updates on Rendering Ranger R2 as well. It’s close *enough* to the sunsoft conference that I’m hoping it’s something related to that (heavily rumored to be Clock Tower related, so maybe SFC CT for carbon? I’d buy it, seeing how it and Otogiriso are my favorite SFC horror games), but I’m guessing it’ll be something else.

Random guesses from me that arent sunsoft… Maybe Cocoron? Crisis Force? Esper Dream? Recca would be a good get too with the 3DS version delisted. What do you guys think?

If LRG had a functioning media, public relations, and customer service department, then a C-suite level individual wouldn't need to be in some backwoods forum dodging criticism and answering customer complaints on missing product.

Perhaps instead of investing in shelving for personal collections, invest in more customer service employees empowered to actually fix problems.

Edit: Is shit posting on CAG billable hours over at LRG?

If so, I have an outstanding resume that should qualify me...

bread's done
Back